Our WinkBed vs. Purple matches two mattresses that combine pressure-relieving body conformance with unique support for your curves for a new kind of sleeping experience.
Would you prefer a more traditional approach from an American company that uses springs to cradle your weight and comfortably relax your spine or are you intrigued by the newest innovations in mattress support systems?
If you would like more information on one or both of these brands individually, we recommend that you read our in-depth reviews here:
Quick Comparison: WinkBed and Purple
SLEEPADVISOR300 or click the button below
- Well distributed support
- Reduces heat retention
- Good for heavier individuals
- Grid system adds effective support for individuals
- Reduces heat retention
- Easier repositioning
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
WinkBed does not begin constructing your hybrid bed until you place your order, and the mattress arrives at your doorstep compressed into a cardboard box.
The Luxury Firm choice stands 13.5 inches high, while the other firmness options will have slightly different dimensions. All are wrapped in a tufted Tencel-based cover.
- The top layer cradles the sleeper in a soft, responsive gel foam that is 2 inches thick.
- The next layer is a 2.5 SupportCell foam for added pressure relief.
- The innerspring layer contains an 8-inch steel coil unit that is pocketed for motion isolation and has 5 support zones for optimum back support.
- The base is 1 inch of polyfoam for added stability.
Purple is rolled up and packed into a bag, which includes convenient handles.
The cover is a thin polyester blend that includes Lycra and Viscose for a stretchy feel and crisp-looking finish over 9.5 inches of construction materials that was recently updated and refreshed. Note that there is a New Purple design which has a construction that differs slightly from the original.
- The top layer contains the company’s proprietary design they call a Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ that is a stretchy gel-like material that cradles your weight by buckling under pressure but holding a rigid 2-inch height where your body curves inward. There's also edge support, which is nice.
- The second layer transitions between the polymer layer and the base with 3.5-inch softer support foam.
- The base layer is 4 inches tall and its dense structure gives the mattress its foundation.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
WinkBed’s model can be ordered in four different firmness levels, but for this comparison, we looked at the Luxury Firm, which we rated at 6.5 our scale that scores mattresses between 1 for softest and 10 for firmest. Purple received a score of 6, which is slightly softer.
Mattresses within these ranges work well whether you prefer to sleep on your side, your stomach or your back as they can adapt to the different needs these positions present. They are soft enough for good pressure relief but firm enough to offer good spine alignment for a majority of sleepers.
WinkBed recently updated their design to include a SupportCell foam above the coil unit, which replaces the micro-coil layer. This foam addition provides the bed with even more pressure relief on top of a high-performance support unit below. Sleepers who prefer additional softness may prefer the Soft version, and those who require extra reinforcement & a firmer bed may prefer the Firm.
Purple’s unique quick-response technology was designed to react differently to different body shapes and provides a versatile comfort level as a result. The bending and buckling of the gel-like grid will subjectively depend on the shape of the individual. Those with more curves will see more buckling, and lighter and straighter bodies may see less.
For this mattress, the trial period definitely comes in handy, but remember that this is brand new technology that will feel unfamiliar so give yourself time to adjust to it before making any final decisions.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Both mattresses will gently cradle most bodies closer to the surface, which is an advantage for temperature control. However, curvier bodies may experience deeper cradling in the Purple because of its unique technology.
WinkBed and Purple contain bounce, but while WinkBed’s comes from every layer of its construction, Purple’s is more isolated to its surface. Innersprings might have a slight advantage with repositioning, but moving around should be relatively simple in either choice.
Comparing Motion Transfer
WinkBed’s individually wrapped coils will transfer motion much less than traditional innersprings that have an interconnected chassis, but Purple might edge ahead because of its foam base’s ability to isolate motion. Even so, couples sharing sleep space will probably sleep comfortably undisturbed by their partner’s restlessness in either brand.
Comparing Edge Support
WinkBed uses edge-to-edge coils to secure your weight when sitting and sleeping along the perimeter of the bed. You may notice some compression when you are seated along the edge of Purple, but the company has made some updates to strengthen their edges.
Though edge support is not usually a deal breaker, individuals sharing their mattress will want to maximize their available space and reinforced edges can be an important feature to consider.
WinkBed vs. Purple Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Tencel© fabric||Polyester, Lycra, and Viscose|
|Materials||Gel-Infused Hypersoft Foam, SupportCell Foam, Pocket Coils, Support Foam||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid-like system over poly foams|
|Cooling||Tencel, cooling gels, pocketed coils||Proprietary polymer does not retain any heat|
|Sinkage||Gentle cradle||Gentle Cradle, Deep Hug; depends on your position|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||101 nights||100 nights|
OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 Class 1
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free in the continental United States||Ships to U.S. and also Canada|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||WinkBed Price (w/o discount)||Purple Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy WinkBed or Purple?
Both choices provide exceptional support, but it all comes down to which feel you prefer and which features line up with your sleep dreams.
We Would Recommend Buying WinkBed if You are Looking for:
- A more traditional feel. A majority of sleepers are familiar with innerspring and foam mattresses, though the more modern touches of this brand put a fresh spin on a classic with coils that can conform to your curves and heat-wicking foams that keep the temperature down.
- Thicker mattress. This brand stands 13.5 inches off the frame, a significant size packed with support that can be an advantage for substantially heavier sleepers who worry about bottoming out on thinner mattresses.
- Edge support. If you spend a lot of time sitting on the edge or like to sleep sprawled on the edge of your mattress, you will enjoy this brand’s exceptional edge reinforcement. Couples who share their space will be able to spread out with no fear of rolling onto the floor.
We Would Recommend Buying Purple if You are Looking for:
- Brand new technology. Purple’s supportive Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ offers a one-of-a-kind sleep experience based on current scientific research.
- Motion isolation. Despite the mattress’ surface bounce, the foam base helps trap any movements at their source and should stop it from disturbing light-sleeping individuals sharing with their partner.
- More budget-friendly choice. Depending on the size you choose, this brand represents a cost-savings of around 100 to 300 dollars compared to its competitor.
It is hard to say no to a modern take on a classic but a mattress based on rocket science is difficult to pass up, as well. It is a tough call between two support systems that represent a unique blend of pressure relief and spine alignment.
If you still need a hand with this decision, you may find the answers you need in our in-depth reviews mentioned at the beginning of this comparison.
More Purple Comparisons:
Jill Zwarensteyn is the editor for Sleep Advisor and a certified sleep science coach. She is enthusiastic about providing helpful and engaging information on all things sleep and wellness.
Based in Los Angeles, she is an experienced writer and journalist who enjoys spending her free time at the beach, hiking, reading, or exploring new places around town.
She’s also an avid traveler who has a personal goal of being able to successfully sleep on an airplane someday.