Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Our WinkBed vs. Purple matches two mattresses that combine pressure-relieving body conformance with unique support for your curves for a new kind of sleeping experience.
Would you prefer a more traditional approach from a Wisconsin-based company that uses springs to cradle your weight and comfortably relax your spine or are you intrigued by the newest innovations in mattress support systems?
If you would like more information on one or both of these brands individually, we recommend that you read our in-depth reviews here:
Quick Comparison: WinkBed and Purple
Sleepadvisor200 or click the button below
- Well distributed support
- Reduces heat retention
- Good for heavier individuals
- Grid system adds effective support for individuals
- Reduces heat retention
- Easier repositioning
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Medium firmness choice stands 14.5 inches high and contains six components. The other two firmness choices, Soft and Firm, will have slightly different dimensions. All three are wrapped in a tufted Tencel-based cover.
- The top layer cradles the sleeper in a soft, responsive foam with 1-inch of depth that simplifies moving around.
- The next layer absorbs vibrations in a high-density 1-inch sheet using Stabilizing Gel Foam, which reduces heat build-up and wraps around the body’s curves.
- The following layer conforms to your dips and curves while supporting your body weight a 2.5-inch construction that is called Pocketed Micro Air-Springs™.
- The fourth layer facilitates spine alignment with the Lumbar Support Pad that also transitions from one coil unit to the next with a .75 inch layer of compressed cotton.
- The fifth layer’s significant spine assistance comes from a 8-inch steel coils unit that is pocketed for motion isolation.
- The perimeter layer’s sturdy foam rails are 4.5 inches thick and give the mattress a supportive boost on its edges.
Purple is rolled up and packed into a bag, which includes convenient handles.
The cover is a thin polyester blend that includes Lycra and Viscose for a stretchy feel and crisp-looking finish over 9.5 inches of construction materials. Note that there is a New Purple design which has a construction that differs slightly from the original.
- The top layer contains the company’s proprietary design they call a Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ that is a stretchy gel-like material that cradles your weight by buckling under pressure but holding a rigid 2-inch height where your body curves inward.
- The second layer transitions between the polymer layer and the base with 3.25-inch softer support foam.
- The base layer’s dense structure gives the mattress its foundation.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
On our firmness scale WinkBed’s model can be ordered in three different firmness levels, but for this comparison, we looked at the Medium, which we rated at 6.5 our scale that scores mattresses between 1 for softest and 10 for firmest. Purple received a score of 6, which is slightly softer.
Mattresses within these ranges work well whether you prefer to sleep on your side, your stomach or your back as they can adapt to the different needs these positions present. They are soft enough for good pressure relief but firm enough to offer good spine alignment for a majority of sleepers.
WinkBed’s feel tends towards the more classic innerspring feel because of its two separate coil units. The more modern update is the inclusion a layer of micro coils below quick-responding foams that conform to your body and provide both pressure relief and support simultaneously. Sleepers who prefer additional softness may prefer the Soft version, and those who require extra reinforcement & a firmer bed may prefer the Firm.
Purple’s unique quick-response technology was designed to react differently to different body shapes and provides a versatile comfort level as a result. The bending and buckling of the gel-like grid will subjectively depend on the shape of the individual. Those with more curves will see more buckling, and lighter and straighter bodies may see less.
For this mattress, the trial period definitely comes in handy, but remember that this is brand new technology that will feel unfamiliar so give yourself time to adjust to it before making any final decisions.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Both mattresses will gently cradle most bodies closer to the surface, which is an advantage for temperature control. However, curvier bodies may experience deeper cradling in the Purple because of its unique technology.
WinkBed and Purple contain bounce, but while WinkBed’s comes from every layer of its construction, Purple’s is more isolated to its surface. Innersprings might have a slight advantage with repositioning, but moving around should be relatively simple in either choice.
Comparing Motion Transfer
WinkBed’s individually wrapped coils will transfer motion much less than traditional innersprings that have an interconnected chassis, but Purple might edge ahead because of its foam base’s ability to isolate motion. Even so, couples sharing sleep space will probably sleep comfortably undisturbed by their partner’s restlessness in either brand.
Comparing Edge Support
WinkBed has exceptional rails around its perimeter that secure your weight when sitting and sleeping. You may notice some compression when you are seated along the edge of Purple, which we expect in bed-in-a-box brands with foam bases, but you should be able to rest securely across the entire surface.
Though edge support is not usually a deal breaker, individuals sharing their mattress will want to maximize their available space and reinforced edges can be an important feature to consider.
WinkBed vs. Purple Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Eco-friendly Tencel tufted with foam||Polyester, Lycra, and Viscose|
|Materials||Micro coils, pocketed steel coils, stabilizing gel foam, a lumbar support pad||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid-like system over poly foams|
|Cooling||Airflow through the foam, sleeping closer to the top, circulating air through coils, air conditioning/heated foundation available||Proprietary polymer does not retain any heat|
|Firmness||4, 6.5, or 7.5/10||6/10|
|Sinkage||Gentle cradle||Gentle Cradle, Deep Hug; depends on your position|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||101 nights||100 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships within the contiguous 48 United States; White Glove Delivery option||Ships to U.S. and also Canada|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||WinkBed Price (w/o discount)||Purple Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||$1,049||Size not offered|
Should I Buy WinkBed or Purple?
Both choices provide exceptional support, but it all comes down to which feel you prefer and which features line up with your sleep dreams.
We Would Recommend Buying WinkBed if You are Looking for:
- A more traditional feel. A majority of sleepers are familiar with innerspring and foam mattresses, though the more modern touches of this brand put a fresh spin on a classic with coils that can conform to your curves and heat-wicking foams that keep the temperature down.
- Thicker mattress. This brand stands 14.5 inches off the frame, a significant size packed with support that can be an advantage for substantially heavier sleepers who worry about bottoming out on thinner mattresses.
- Edge support. If you spend a lot of time sitting on the edge or like to sleep sprawled on the edge of your mattress, you will enjoy this brand’s exceptional edge reinforcement. Couples who share their space will be able to spread out with no fear of rolling onto the floor.
We Would Recommend Buying Purple if You are Looking for:
- Brand new technology. Purple’s supportive Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ offers a one-of-a-kind sleep experience based on current scientific research.
- Motion isolation. Despite the mattress’ surface bounce, the foam base helps trap any movements at their source and should stop it from disturbing light-sleeping individuals sharing with their partner.
- More budget-friendly choice. Depending on the size you choose, this brand represents a cost-savings of around 100 to 300 dollars compared to its competitor.
It is hard to say no to a modern take on a classic but a mattress based on rocket science is difficult to pass up, as well. It is a tough call between two support systems that represent a unique blend of pressure relief and spine alignment.
If you still need a hand with this decision, you may find the answers you need in our in-depth reviews mentioned at the beginning of this comparison.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.