Puffy has made a name for itself with its luxurious, cloud-like mattresses, and this hybrid mattress is no different. Made from several layers of comforting foam and a support layer of coils, this mattress feels soft, but not too soft; it is contouring and supportive, perfect for a variety of sleepers and positions.
Unlike some other “in-a-box” mattresses, this one is luxury all the way, with its quality materials to its lifetime warranty. All that said, we wouldn’t recommend this mattress to everybody.
Our in-depth review of the Puffy Lux Hybrid Mattress will get into all of the details about firmness, comfort, and who should or shouldn’t buy this bed.
Watch Our Video Review of the Puffy Lux Hybrid Mattress
*Note: We are in the process of updating our video review of the Puffy Lux Hybrid for 2023. For the most up-to-date information, please refer to our written review.
Who We Recommend The Puffy Lux Hybrid For:
- Side sleepers – The Puffy Lux Hybrid is a medium-firm mattress, but contouring and soft enough to provide excellent pressure relief for most side sleepers.
- Hot sleepers – This mattress should help keep you cool at night as it is a hybrid, constructed with a top layer of their gel-infused Cooling Cloud™ Foam, which will help dissipate heat.
- Those looking for a softer feel – This mattress is more of a medium firmness, but for most people, it feels relatively soft and is quite contouring thanks to its top foam comfort layers.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Puffy Lux Hybrid For:
- Stomach sleepers – If you sleep strictly on your stomach, this mattress might be too soft and contouring to offer your spine the support it needs.
- People over 230 pounds – If you’re a heavier sleeper weighing more than 230 pounds, this mattress likely won’t feel supportive enough for you. In this case, you might try a firmer mattress.
- Those looking for a bouncy mattress – The Puffy Lux Hybrid is distinctly contouring and pressure-relieving, but it’s not bouncy. If you’re looking for a bouncy mattress, try a latex mattress.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 4.5/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
The Puffy Lux Hybrid rates at a 4.5 out of 10 on the Sleep Advisor firmness scale, which is considered to be a softer medium-feel mattress. This is a hybrid mattress, so it’s made from both high-quality coils and multiple foam layers. The foam layers on top are what give it its distinct, “sinking into a cloud” feel, and underneath, there are firmer layers of foam and pocketed coils for support. This bed offers a great combination for those looking for comfort and pressure relief, but not so much softness you’ll feel your spine out of alignment.
How Does It Feel?
The Puffy Lux Hybrid has a medium feel, but for many average-weight sleepers, it will be on the “softer-medium” side. This mattress feels more contouring and pressure-relieving than it does bouncy, which can also be great news for light sleepers sharing a bed.
Unlike many beds with foam, this mattress does not sleep hot; in fact, it feels remarkably cool thanks to its layer of Cooling Cloud™ Foam.
What We Like About the Puffy Lux Hybrid
- Contouring and pressure-relieving – The top layers of this mattress are made from different types of foam, all designed to give you that classic, memory foam “hugged” and supported feeling.
- Cooling materials – The mattress is designed to be breathable, both with its innerspring coils that allow air to pass through and the top layer of Cooling Cloud™ Foam.
- Motion isolation – The Puffy Lux Hybrid is great at isolating motion, meaning, if you sleep next to somebody, you will be less likely to feel them moving during the night. This is due to the bed’s slow-moving layers of plush foam.
Our Puffy Lux Hybrid Complaints
- Lack of bounce – This bed isn’t the best for those looking specifically for a bouncy or “tight” feeling mattress. This means it can be less than ideal for some sexually active couples.
- It’s not great for all bodies – This is an excellent mattress for light-weight people and probably most average-weight people, but it’s not the best for those who need more support. In this case, the Lux Hybrid will feel extremely soft and likely sink too far in.
- Edge support – Edge support is important because it allows you to feel supported near the edge of the mattress, which means you can utilize the entire surface while you sleep. Unfortunately, the Puffy Lux Hybrid doesn’t have the best edge support, which may be a drawback for couples looking for a bed where they can spread out.
Testing the Puffy Lux Hybrid: How it Performed
When we tested the Puffy Lux Hybrid, there were specific features we were looking at to come away with a solid idea of who this mattress was best suited for. These include cooling, motion isolation, bounce, and edge support. Additionally, we lie on the mattress in different sleeping positions to see how the bed performs in terms of support and pressure relief in each position.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
According to Puffy, the Puffy Lux Hybrid is designed to comfortably support up to 350 pounds per side of the mattress. However, just because this mattress can support up to a certain weight, it doesn’t mean that it will be the best fit for all body types since it is on the softer side. You’ll also need to consider the bed’s other features as well as your go-to sleep position to ensure it’s the best match.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers|
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★★|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★☆☆||☆☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Those under 130 pounds who sleep on their sides will likely appreciate the amount of contouring and pressure relief this plush mattress provides, especially for the shoulder and hips.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average weight side sleepers (between 130-230 pounds) will also feel supported by this cushioning mattress since side sleepers tend to need more give to relieve pressure on the shoulders.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Those who weigh 230 pounds or more will probably feel relatively supported by this mattress on their sides, especially if they prefer a soft/less-firm bed.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Those under 130 pounds will likely find the Puffy Lux Hybrid a comfortable and supportive mattress for sleeping on their back. They will sink in but not too much because of the layer of more supportive coils.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average weight sleepers who prefer a medium-firm and more contouring/less-bouncy mattress should sleep well on the Puffy Lux Hybrid.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavier back sleepers who prefer a soft-feeling mattress will appreciate the Puffy Lux Hybrid, but if you need extra support, you’ll probably want a firmer mattress.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should be comfortable on this mattress since it won’t sink in so much (for those under 130 pounds) that it will put extra pressure on the hips and lower back. However, you’ll probably feel even more supported with something firmer.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average weight stomach sleepers might find this mattress a little bit too soft, depending on their precise body weight. The mattress may sink too much in the area of the hips to keep your spine in proper alignment.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight stomach sleepers should not buy this mattress.The Puffy Lux Hybrid will be far too soft and will sink down, providing little support for your hips or lower back.
Pressure Relief & Pain
Overall, the Puffy Lux Hybrid provides excellent pressure relief for most light or average-weight people, especially side sleepers. The top foam layers are contouring and soft, letting your body sink in where it needs to most.
This bed should also relieve pressure and pain for back sleepers under 230 pounds. However, stomach sleepers with back pain will want to steer clear of this mattress since it will likely sink underneath your hips and lead to an uncomfortable curve in the spine.
Back Pain – This mattress should support most light and average-weight sleepers equally across their backs, remaining soft yet supportive for those with back pain. The Lux Hybrid should help those with back pain by keeping their spine in neutral alignment when sleeping on their sides or back. However, stomach sleepers with back pain should go for something much firmer.
Hip Pain – Those with hip pain will probably find the Puffy Lux Hybrid to be a welcome relief, especially for those who sleep on their sides. This mattress is soft and contouring and should cradle and support the hips, even when sleeping on the back.
Shoulder Pain – Shoulder pain is often worsened, if not caused, by sleeping on your side on a firm mattress. The Puffy Lux Hybrid is soft and contouring enough to allow the shoulder to sink in, rather than pushing back against it and causing more pressure.
The Puffy Lux Hybrid offers great support for those who are petite or average-weight sleepers who prefer a softer mattress. The bed contains pocketed coils, which create a small amount of bounciness and plenty of support, evenly distributing the sleeper’s weight and providing them with comfort at the same time. The foam layers on top should create a comfortable sinking-into-the-mattress feeling, but overall, the mattress should still feel supportive because of the coils underneath.
Heavier-weight sleepers, though, will likely not feel very supported by this bed. Furthermore, this medium-firm mattress will feel more like a soft mattress, which may not seem as comfortable to them.
Motion transfer measures the amount of movement from one side of the bed to the other. This characteristic is important for those who sleep next to somebody – especially for light sleepers – because a bed with good motion isolation versus one without it can mean the difference between being woken up in the middle of the night or not. Fortunately, with its layers of slow-moving, contouring foam, this mattress has very little motion transfer, which means it’s a great mattress for those sensitive sleepers sharing a bed.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Unlike many mattresses with top layers of foam, the Puffy Lux Hybrid is designed to keep you cool at night. This starts with the cover made of a breathable polyester blend that allows for good airflow and then goes down to the top layer of the mattress itself, made from Cooling Cloud™ Foam. Beneath that is another layer of poly foam, and then yet another layer of Climate Comfort™ Foam, designed to help wick away moisture. All of this, plus the breathable pocketed coils beneath, help make this mattress quite cooling, especially for one with plush foam.
Performance for Couples
The Puffy Lux Hybrid is a good mattress for couples. This bed has great motion isolation, which can be important for light sleepers, and yet it doesn’t have the quicksand-like effect that some memory foam mattresses can have. Another feature this bed performs well on is edge support. Strong edges mean that you and your partner can spread out to the sides of the mattress and still feel supported.
Free Shipping & Returns
This mattress comes in a box and will be shipped to you free of charge. Also, if you don’t like it during your trial period, you can return it for free. To return a mattress, you’ll just need to get in touch with Puffy with your order number and they will get the process started.
The Puffy is built with multiple cooling features to help hot sleepers remain comfortable throughout the night. With a blend of airflow-promoting coils, cooling foams, and a breathable cover, overheating shouldn’t be an issue on this bed.
This mattress does have coils, but it won’t feel like your traditional innerspring mattress. Rather, it will have that cloud-like and contouring feeling of memory foam, but you won’t get swallowed up by it.
The Puffy Lux Hybrid should provide sleepers with good support along the sides of the mattress. Whether you’re getting dressed for the day or want as much surface as possible when you sleep, you should feel well-supported at the perimeter.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Puffy Lux Hybrid is compatible with an adjustable base if you choose to use one.
Construction: What’s Inside the Puffy Lux Hybrid?
All Puffy Lux Hybrid mattresses are a total of 12 inches tall, no matter what size mattress you’re getting. The mattress has three foam comfort layers on top of one layer of supportive, pocketed coils. Encasing it all is a stain-resistant and hypoallergenic cloud cover. We’ll go into the details of each of the mattress’s layers below.
- The Cooling Cloud™ Foam layer is the topmost layer of this mattress. This unit is specially designed to dissipate heat and create a soft, contouring surface to sink into.
- The Dual Cloud Foam layer sits just under the cooling layer and is 1.5 inches thick. This material should create excellent pressure relief but shouldn’t cause most sleepers to feel “stuck” in the mattress.
- The Climate Comfort™ Foam layer is a 2-inch thick transition layer beneath the comforting foam layers and above the supportive coils below. This foam is designed to have a bit more bounce and also wick away moisture to keep you from overheating at night.
- The support layer consists of pocketed coils for durable support. Another advantage of the coils is that they provide extra airflow, and these ones are individually-wrapped to further enhance the bed’s motion-isolating capabilities.
- The base layer is the bottommost layer of this mattress and is made of high-density poly foam. The base foam acts as a surface for the coils to press off of.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The Puffy Lux Hybrid is what is known as a “bed-in-a-box,” which means when you order this mattress online, it will arrive at your home in a box. The Puffy is easy enough to unbox and unroll, though you should probably get another person to help you. All told, it should take about 10-15 minutes to completely unbox and set on the frame.
The bed will take somewhere between 24-48 hours to completely expand and off-gas, so you won’t be able to sleep on it directly. After about 48 hours, though, the slight chemical smell (which is common for any foam mattress newly unboxed) should have completely dissipated.
- CertiPUR-US® certified – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
- ACA-Endorsed – The Puffy Lux Hybrid is endorsed by the American Chiropractic Association for its exceptional back and spine support.
- Puffy often honors specific people (like veterans, healthcare professionals, etc.) with discounts on their mattresses and products. Currently, they are honoring teachers and students with an 825-dollar mattress discount.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the United States.
- Trial – You can keep this product for 101 nights to make sure it’s your dream mattress, and if it isn’t, the company will refund your money.
- Warranty – This mattress comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Return Policy – If you’re not satisfied with your Puffy Lux Hybrid at any point during your 101-night trial, you are welcome to return it and receive a full refund. You won’t even have to pay for the cost of shipping.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$1,749|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,799|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$2,049|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$2,249|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$2,449|
|California King||72” x 84” x 12”||$2,449|
|Split King||38” x 80” x 12|
Frequently Asked Questions
Does the Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress need a box spring?
The Puffy Lux Hybrid is designed to work with flat bed frames, slatted bed frames, adjustable bed frames, and box springs alike. You can use a box spring if you want to, but it’s not required.
How much does the Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress weigh?
The weight of this mattress varies depending on what size you’re getting.
Twin – 51 pounds
Twin XL – 58 pounds
Full – 75 pounds
Queen – 83 pounds
King – 114 pounds
California King – 106 pounds
Split King – 116 pounds
How long does the Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress last?
This mattress is made with high-quality materials, including CertiPUR-US® certified foams. Therefore, you can expect it to last at least 10 years with regular use.
Can you flip over the Puffy Lux Hybrid mattress?
You cannot flip over this hybrid mattress because the top layers are designed to go underneath your body, and the harder support layers are meant to go toward the bottom. You can, however, rotate the mattress 180 degrees if you like as this will head spread out general wear-and-tear.
Puffy Lux Hybrid vs Other Brands
Puffy Lux Hybrid vs Nectar Mattress
- Hybrid (coils + foam)
- 101-night trial period
- All-foam mattress
- 365-night trial period
Who We Recommend the Puffy Lux Hybrid For
- Those who are looking for a softer mattress
- Those who sleep hot
- People specifically looking for a hybrid
Who We Recommend the Nectar For
- Back sleepers
- Budget shoppers
- People who want a firmer feel
Puffy Lux Hybrid vs WinkBed Original
- 4.5/10 firmness
- Over $2,000
- Multiple firmness options available
- Under $2,000
Who We Recommend the Puffy Lux Hybrid For
- Hot sleepers
- Side sleepers
- Those who want more contouring foam layers
Who We Recommend the WinkBed For
- Those who want to choose their own firmness level
- Those who like the feel of a Euro top mattress
Puffy Lux Hybrid vs Other Puffy Models
Puffy Lux Hybrid vs Puffy Royal Hybrid
- 4.5/10 on the firmness scale
- Under $2,500 (Queen)
- Fewer support layers
- 5/10 on the firmness scale
- Over $3,000 (Queen)
- Includes additional 5-zone support foam
Who We Recommend the Puffy Lux Hybrid For
- People who are on a tighter budget
- Side sleepers
- Those who want a softer mattress
Who We Recommend the Puffy Royal Hybrid For
- People with back pain
- Luxury shoppers
- Those who want a higher mattress
Puffy Lux Hybrid vs Puffy Original Mattress
- Hybrid mattress
- Heavier & more cumbersome
- 4.5/10 on the firmness scale
- All-foam construction
- Lightweight and easy to move
- 5.5/10 on the firmness scale
Who We Recommend the Puffy Lux Hybrid For
- People who are looking for a softer hybrid mattress
- People who want slightly more support
- Those who want a more luxurious mattress
Who We Recommend the Puffy Original For
- Side sleepers
- Lightweight people
The Puffy Lux Hybrid should be a good fit for anyone looking for a soft to medium-feeling hybrid mattress. This bed is great for couples because it has minimal motion transfer and plenty of edge support. Additionally, this mattress should be ideal for those who want plush pressure relief without feeling like they are sinking too far into the bed.
Petite to average-weight people who sleep on their sides should find this mattress pressure-relieving and contouring for the shoulder and hip. Those who weigh less than 130 pounds won’t sink in quite as much, whereas those who weigh 230 pounds more might sink in too much on this contouring mattress.
For back sleepers who prefer a softer-feeling mattress, the Puffy Lux Hybrid could be a great option for you. The soft foam layers create a cloud-like, sinking-into-the-mattress feeling, but the coils underneath should evenly distribute your weight and give you plenty of support. If you prefer a firm-feeling mattress or are a person with a bigger body, though, this mattress might be too soft for you.
If you’re a very petite person, this mattress might work for you as a stomach sleeper. However, most people will find the top foam layers of this mattress a bit too soft to comfortably, or safely, sleep on their stomachs. Your hips will likely sink too far into its cloud-like top layers and throw your spine out of alignment.
The Puffy Lux Hybrid comes with minimal to no bounce, which could be a drawback for combination sleepers. Often, combination sleepers do well with quick-responding beds that make it easier for them to adjust positions. Furthermore, the softer feel of this bed could be hard on combination sleepers who like to move onto their stomachs.
This bed is great for couples because it has very little motion transfer, meaning you’re less likely to feel your partner move during the night. Additionally, this mattress comes with sturdy edges, allowing both partners extra surface space use on the bed.
While this bed may be cozy for some heavyweight sleepers, it’s not going to provide the necessary support to ensure their spine remains neutral, which is vital for preventing back pain. Rather, these sleepers will be better suited on mattresses designed for larger bodies with highly supportive layers and a firmer feel.
Lightweight sleepers should feel supported by this mattress. They probably won’t get the entire “sinking into a cloud” feeling that someone slightly heavier will get, but they should still find this mattress pressure-relieving and supportive, especially sleeping on their backs.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average weight sleepers will sink into this mattress’s top foam layers just enough to feel that classic, Puffy “cloud-like” support, while still feeling bolstered by the layer of coils. This bed is particularly great for average side sleepers or those with shoulder or hip pain, as it will contour nicely to the body and keep your spine in alignment.
The Puffy Lux Hybrid is not the cheapest bed-in-a-box option, but it is also not the most expensive. Adding to this bed’s value is the fact that it comes with free shipping and returns, plus a lifetime warranty. You won’t get the white-glove delivery you’d get with something more expensive, but you still get plenty of value for your purchase.
Overall, the Puffy Lux Hybrid offers a cozy, cloud-like feel that should feel exceptionally comfortable to those who need good pressure relief, particularly side sleepers. While this bed doesn’t have as much bounce as other mattresses, it does offer good motion and edge support, two features that could benefit many couples.
However, this bed is much softer, making it a poor fit for heavier sleepers, who won’t get enough support from it. The people who will benefit the most from this mattress are petite sleepers and average-weight people who do not sleep on their stomachs.
Natalie is a content writer for Sleep Advisor with a deep passion for all things health and a fascination with the mysterious activity that is sleep. Outside of writing about sleep, she is a bestselling author, improviser, and creative writing teacher based out of Austin.
When she's doing none of these things, you will most likely find her outdoors, at the gym, or... asleep.