How can a more natural mattress benefit you?
WinkBeds, who built their reputation on extremely durable innerspring hybrids, brings the luxury of natural materials and a comfortable night’s sleep to their bedding lineup. The EcoCloud Mattress is an excellent choice for those who value eco-friendly materials, like natural Talalay Latex and GOTS Organic Certified Cotton, and it’s a great bed for those who want a soft but supportive night’s sleep.
Our comprehensive WinkBed EcoCloud mattress review will cover all the aspects that make this bed unique, as well as who it will work best for, firmness levels, motion transfer, pressure relief, support, and more.
Watch our WinkBed EcoCloud Video Review
Who We Recommend The WinkBed EcoCloud For:
- Combination sleepers – The EcoCloud bed should cater to a wide variety of body types and sleeping positions. Most sleepers will be able to find something they love with this bed.
- Earth lovers – Companies like WinkBed are working to keep the planet healthier and their customers safer by providing more naturally sourced and organic materials. This bed features certifications that show their devotion to reducing their carbon footprint.
- Support seekers – The innerspring system of this product has been zoned to improve sleeper support while you sleep. This works to keep the body straight, helping to reduce aches and pains when waking up.
Who We Don't Recommend The EcoCloud For:
- People who prefer an all-foam mattress – This bed does not have the deep embracing, contouring feel that memory foam mattresses can offer. Shoppers looking for this type of mattress might enjoy WinkBed’s GravityLux mattress instead.
- Heavier-weight sleepers – Even though this medium-firm mattress should be supportive for most sleepers, those who weigh significantly more will likely need a mattress for heavyweight sleepers to ensure optimal support for their spine.
- Stomach sleepers – Stomach sleepers will also need a firmer mattress to prevent their hips from dipping into the bed.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 5.5/10 (Medium)
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
At Sleep Advisor, we rate mattress firmness on a 1-10 scale, with 1 being the softest feel and 10 being the firmest feel. We consider the EcoCloud mattress to be a 5.5 out of 10, making it a medium-firm mattress, which generally speaking, works well for a majority of sleepers.
A bed with a medium firmness shouldn’t be too firm or too soft, and these mattresses are often popular since they’re the most accommodating and typically provide the best balance of support and pressure relief. As a reminder, though, a heavier person may find that this bed feels softer than lighter and average-weight sleepers find it.
How Does the EcoCloud Bed Feel?
Opening your mattress might be just as awesome as sleeping on it—well, hopefully not, but it can be interesting to watch. Slash open the box and plastic covering (carefully), and unroll your bed; watch as the springs pop up and the latex expands to its full 12.5-inch height.
Once it has expanded, the bed should feel bouncy because of its innerspring and latex components, and the cover should feel soft and luxurious.
Pros: What We Like About the EcoCloud Mattress
- Eco-conscious materials – The EcoCloud has multiple certifications that ensure wildlife and the environment are a priority in making this bed.
- Great pressure relief – The plush top of this bed creates excellent pressure relief for anyone with achy joints or those who sleep on their sides and need some cradling around their shoulder and hip.
- Zoned support – Not only does the EcoCloud have excellent pressure relief, but the innerspring layer is zoned to better support the areas that need it most, like the hips and lower back.
Cons: Our EcoCloud Complaints
- Doesn’t work for all bodies – People who weigh more than 230 pounds will likely find this bed too soft and should opt for something with better support, such as the WinkBed Plus.
- Too bouncy for some – For those who prefer that slow sinking feeling that comes with memory foam, this mattress, which includes both latex and coils, will feel too bouncy. Luckily, it still has good motion isolation, but it won’t be quite as good as an all-foam mattress.
- Doesn’t come in multiple firmness options – Many mattresses offer the choice between soft, medium, or firm, but the EcoCloud doesn’t. This means those who want something softer or firmer may want to consider the brand’s flagship WinkBed mattress.
Testing the EcoCloud Mattress: How it Performed
When we tested the WinkBed EcoCloud Mattress, there were specific features we were measuring so we could determine who this mattress is best for. These include cooling, motion isolation, bounce, and edge support. Additionally, we lied on the mattress in different sleeping positions to see how the bed performs in terms of support and pressure relief in each position.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★☆☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||☆☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||☆☆☆||☆☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Those who weigh less than 130 pounds will likely find that the EcoCloud’s softer feel will allow them to maximize pressure relief while on their side.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers should feel comfortable on this bed, thanks to the plush top and softer Talalay latex.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Sleepers over 230 pounds may sink too much through the soft layers down into the firmer support layers, creating pressure on the shoulder and hip.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight back sleepers who prefer the bouncier and more supportive feeling of latex should get a good mixture of pressure relief and spinal support on this mattress.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – This mattress should also be good for average-weight back sleepers, as they’ll benefit from each layer of this bed, including the zoned support layer.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight back sleepers will likely want a more supportive bed for their body frame.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Some lightweight sleepers will find this mattress comfortable and supportive enough on their stomachs, while others may enjoy a firmer bed that keeps their hips elevated.
- Average-Weight Sleepers – This mattress will feel too soft for average-weight stomach sleepers.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – As with average-weight people, the mattress will feel too soft for heavyweight stomach sleepers.
Pressure Relief & Pain
The Ecocloud mattress should deliver excellent pressure and pain relief.
The combination of the plush cotton and wool top, as well as 4 inches of Talalay latex underneath, gives this bed a gentle cradle. It should softly conform to your body’s curves, filling in the cracks where necessary (like the lumbar area and neck).
This bed is constructed to provide a quick response, meaning the materials should snap back into place quickly. This should prevent you from feeling stuck when moving around.
Back Pain – Those who live with back pain will love the EcoCloud’s zoned support layer. This layer of individually wrapped coils is more supportive underneath the heavier areas of the body to keep your spine in proper alignment through the night.
Hip Pain – Sleepers with hip pain will also benefit from the zoned support layer, as it will provide more support beneath the hips, and the top comfort layer should be cushioning on the hips for side sleepers. However, stomach sleepers with hip pain might find this bed too soft, which could exacerbate hip pain.
Shoulder Pain – People often have shoulder pain due to a combination of a mattress that is too firm and sleeping on their sides. This mattress should be ideal for side sleepers of most weights with shoulder pain.
What’s pressure relief without support? Well, it is a bed that bottoms out, leaving your body in an uncomfortable position for hours on end. Your spine needs to remain straight in order for you to rest well.
Beneath the latex is the coils that provide the bulk of the support on EcoCloud. These specific springs are designed with targeted zoning to withstand the weight of the heavy parts (mainly your core) of the body and give way to the lighter parts (like your shoulders and knees). These springs give the bed some healthy bounce as well.
Motion transfer describes how much motion you’ll feel on one part of the bed when somebody is moving on the other side. Usually, when a bed is bouncy because of materials like coils or latex, the bed will have a lot of motion transfer – as in, you’ll be able to tell when your partner gets up at night.
This bed, however, performs better than expected with keeping motion isolated. This is likely because the coils in this bed are pocketed, which allows them to move more independently. However, latex is a buoyant material, so this bed won’t perform as well in this category as memory foam.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Hot sleepers know how important it is to find a well-performing cooling mattress. Luckily, the WinkBed EcoCloud excels in this category. Unlike some mattresses that employ cooling gels or other cooling technologies, the EcoCloud keeps cool naturally. Latex is a temperature-neutral material, and the coils create a more breathable bed, allowing air to pass through the mattress. You shouldn’t have to worry about sleeping hot on this bed.
Performance for Couples
Usually, couples are looking for specific qualities in their mattress: good motion isolation, so the bed won’t move when their partner moves; a mattress that sleeps cool; one with good edge support, so the entire surface of the bed can be used; and one that has some bounce, which some partners prefer for intimacy.
Given these criteria, this is an excellent mattress for couples. It sleeps cool, it has great edge support, it has a good amount of bounce, and the motion isolation is good. For very sensitive sleepers who share a bed, a foam mattress with even better motion isolation might be preferable, though.
Rolled and compressed in a cardboard box, the EcoCloud conveniently arrives at your door without the need to coordinate delivery with a third party.
Exceptional Edge Support
Some bed-in-a-box companies do not add edge reinforcement because they need their products to compress into a box. WinkBed does not follow this method. Though shipped in a box, the EcoCloud comes equipped with reinforced coils along the perimeter, helping ensure that your first experience is a good one.
People who change positions a lot or struggle with mobility typically prefer beds with a bit of “push back” or bounce that assists movement. Sexually-active couples can also benefit from this feature.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Use your new bed on an adjustable base if you want the option to move up and down. The company has one specifically made for its mattresses for purchase on the website.
Handcrafted in the USA
Construction: What's Inside the WinkBed EcoCloud?
The WinkBed EcoCloud is a 12.5-inch mattress that ships roll-compressed inside of a box. This bed unrolls and should be easy to install on any box spring, slatted platform, or adjustable base.
The cover is roughly .5 inches and is made with 100 percent organic cotton and sustainable New Zealand wool. This combination of materials provides plush comfort and helps to wick away moisture and heat, and it provides a clean and healthy sleeping surface.
Underneath the cover are two layers, plus a specially designed perimeter for optimum edge support.
- Below the cover is a 4-inch Talalay Latex Comfort Layer, which has been sectioned off to foster increased support in the lower back and is softer in the shoulders and hips. Talalay’s unique open cell structure should also help keep the bed ventilated and prevent you from overheating while asleep.
- The base layer is comprised of a Zoned Individually Wrapped Innerspring Support System. The 8-inch springs are made from recycled steel and are made to provide extra pushback support for the heavier areas of the body. Plus, the coils should help promote additional airflow throughout the mattress.
- The perimeter layer is reinforced with ExtraEdge™ Anit-Sag Support coils. This design helps make the sides more stable, so it feels supportive all the way around, allowing you access to the bed’s entire surface space.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
When you order a bed-in-a-box, you’ll have to unbox and unwrap the mattress. For this mattress, it should take about 10-15 minutes.
Once you set it up, the mattress will take some time to fully decompress. Normally during this time, there is a period of off-gassing – a chemical smell that is emitted from many foam mattresses. However, because the EcoCloud is made with natural and OEKO-TEX®-certified materials, it shouldn’t produce any unpleasant off-gassing.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This product contains OEKO-TEX® Standard 100, Class 1 certified Talalay Latex. This means the latex in this mattress has been thoroughly tested by a third party and found to have a safe level of chemicals that could potentially be harmful, especially for children and seniors.
- Certified Natural Materials – The cotton in the cover is GOTS-certified organic. This certification ensures that the cotton used in this product has been harvested using socially and environmentally responsible methods.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, & Shipping
- Shipping – Free delivery is available within the contiguous United States.
- Trial – This product includes a 120-night risk-free trial that allows shoppers to try it out in their home, and if they do enjoy it, they can send it back for a full refund.
- Warranty – The EcoCloud comes with a lifetime warranty that helps protect each customer’s purchase.
- Return Policy – WinkBed asks that you try out your mattress for 30 nights. If you don’t love it after that, you can return it before your 120-night sleep trial is done for a full refund. WinkBed will even arrange to pick it up for you for free.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||$1,399|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$1,499|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,999|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,399|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$2,399|
WinkBed EcoCloud Mattress FAQs
Are WinkBeds eco-friendly?
The EcoCloud is WinkBed’s most eco-friendly mattress. It is made with 100 percent natural, OEKO-TEX®-certified Talalay latex, meaning it is hypoallergenic and sustainably sourced. Additionally, the cotton is certified organic.
Is the WinkBed EcoCloud good for back pain?
Yes, the WinkBed EcoCloud can be good for back pain, but this will depend on the sleeper. The bed comes with zoned support and coils, which are typically great for navigating and preventing back pain. That being said, if you’re a heavier stomach sleeper, this mattress could wind up exacerbating pain if your hips and midsection sink too much.
Are WinkBed mattresses flippable?
No, WinkBed mattresses aren’t flippable. WinkBeds mattresses are specifically designed with layers of support near the bottom and comfort layers near the top, so flipping the mattress would impact this specific design. WinkBed does recommend rotating your mattress, though, every two weeks for the first three months, and then every two months thereafter, to elongate the life of your mattress.
How long does a WinkBed mattress last?
WinkBeds are durable and well-constructed with high-density foams and sturdy coils. This means this mattress won’t sag or break down quickly, and you should expect it to last anywhere from 7 to 10 years.
How is the WinkBed EcoCloud mattress delivered?
All WinkBeds, including the EcoCloud, are bed-in-a-box mattresses, which means they will be shipped in a box, right to your door.
WinkBed vs Other Brands
WinkBed EcoCloud vs Nolah Evolution
- Talalay Latex
- Medium firmness
- AirFoamICE™ for extra cooling
- Medium firmness options
Who We Recommend the EcoCloud For:
- Shoppers on a tighter budget
- Sleepers who prefer a bouncier bed
- Side sleepers
Who We Recommend the Nolah Evolution For:
- Stomach sleepers (with the Firm option)
- Those who sleep very hot
- Sleepers who need better motion isolation
Read our Nolah Evolution mattress review for more information on the Nolah.
WinkBed EcoCloud vs Avocado Green
- Hybrid with latex
- Zoned support
- Lifetime warranty
- Hybrid with latex
- Organic and extremely eco-friendly
- 25-year warranty
Who We Recommend the EcoCloud For:
- Sleepers who need extra lumbar support
- Side sleepers
- Those with back pain
Who We Recommend the Avocado Green For:
- Those who want to shop organic and extremely eco-friendly
- Sleepers who want a slightly firmer mattress
- Combination sleepers
Read our Avocado Green mattress review for more information on Avocado.
WinkBed EcoCloud vs Other WinkBed Mattress Models
WinkBed EcoCloud vs Original WinkBed
- Eco-friendly materials
- 3 firmness options
- Plush euro top
Who We Recommend the EcoCloud For:
- Eco-conscious shoppers
- Sleepers who want more bounce
- Lightweight and average-weight sleepers
Who We Recommend the Original WinkBed For:
- Shoppers who want more customization
- Heavyweight sleepers (WinkBed Plus model)
- Budget shoppers
Read our WinkBed Original mattress review for more information on the Original.
WinkBed EcoCloud vs WinkBed GravityLux
- Latex hybrid
- Medium firm
- Memory foam
- 3 firmness options
Who We Recommend the EcoCloud For:
- Those who want a medium-firm mattress
- Hot sleepers
- Sleepers with limited mobility
Who We Recommend the GravityLux For:
- Those who want to choose their firmness level
- Sensitive sleepers who share a bed
- Sleepers who prefer memory foam’s contouring feel
Read our WinkBed GravityLux mattress review for more information on the GravityLux.
The WinkBed EcoCloud is an excellent mattress for those who want to shop a little more eco-friendly. It will work better for certain sleep positions and body types than others, but as a medium-firm mattress, it should work well for a majority of people who love the bouncier feel of natural latex.
Side sleepers can enjoy how soft the plush pillow top comfort layer is and can find even more pressure relief in areas like the shoulders and hips as they transition into the latex. The coils help provide necessary support and should give many customers the sleep they have been looking for.
Most back sleepers should enjoy how this bed is neither too firm nor too soft. The product sports a versatile design that many back sleepers will find appealing. It was made to cradle the small of their back and give their hips and shoulders the right amount of support. However, heavier back sleepers will probably want to seek out firmer support.
The zoned support in this mattress should help give more lift in the hips. However, the softer overall feel may not work for the majority of people in this group. In this case, we’d recommend the company’s standard WinkBed mattress in the Firm model or for exceptionally heavier sleepers, the WinkBed Plus.
The Talalay latex works with the coil unit to provide exceptional bounce and responsiveness that combination sleepers can make plenty of use of. This feature should be able to help combo sleepers transition between different sleeping positions during the night. However, this bed will likely only accommodate back and side sleeping.
With reinforced edges, a versatile medium firmness, a bouncy surface, and great motion isolation, couples should be able to spread out, reposition more easily, and not feel the other move around across the bed. Bouncier beds tend to improve sex, so that’s a plus too.
The combination of latex and zoned coils should perform much better than all-foam options. However, heavier individuals typically rest better on firmer beds. The company makes a Plus version of their WinkBed that’s specially designed for larger frames and may be the better option.
The overall softness and zoned spring system of this bed should comfort and support lighter sleepers well. The latex should conform easily to the body’s curves, making it easier for those who are lightweight to feel the solid support from the coils.
The EcoCloud is an excellent mattress for average-weight sleepers in every position except for stomach sleeping, and as mentioned earlier, WinkBed recommends this bed most for people weighing anywhere between 160 and 240 pounds, due to its combination of pressure relief and support.
Luxurious all-natural sleep is hard to come by, especially at a price point as ideal as this. Shoppers can spend hundreds to thousands of dollars for a bed of a similar design at big box stores and mattress retailers. WinkBed is of the opinion that quality sleep should come at a fair and reasonable price.
We love that the EcoCloud is a high-quality bed that is still affordable compared to similar beds, particularly in the eco-friendly mattress market.
This mattress should be best suited for people who are light or average in weight and sleep on their sides or backs. Unfortunately, it may be too soft for some heavier-weight sleepers and those who sleep on their stomachs, but with the zoned support, it could potentially work for very lightweight stomach sleepers. Plus, the company provides 120 nights for shoppers to know for sure.
The zoned support also makes it an excellent mattress for sleepers with back pain.