Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Is it possible to find the perfect balance between memory foam and latex? Can side sleepers and stomach sleepers be satisfied by a single bed?
By working with sleep experts and devoting themselves to learning everything they could about the science of sleep, Nolah designed their dream bed with their Signature 12-inch model.
This in-depth Nolah Signature review will explore the company’s exclusive foam and its properties and look at the various benefits of this item’s double-sided options. You’ll learn about Nolah’s wildlife initiative that lets you support your chosen wildlife creature. You’ll also find ratings based on cooling, edge support, value, and more.
Read through for a detailed analysis of all the bed’s materials and features, or skip to the end for an overview and final score.
You will love Nolah Signature if you:
- Are a co-sleeper – The double-sided nature of the bed allows couples to choose the comfort level that best suits both of their needs. Isolated air pockets also help to minimize motion transfer for fewer sleep disruptions.
- Are a side sleeper – Most side sleepers should find the deep cradle and enhanced pressure relief found on the Softer side provide a comfortable experience that removes pressure from heavier areas like the hips and shoulders. Those looking for a Firmer feel can flip the mattress.
- Prefer to sleep cool – The company’s proprietary foam does not contain any viscoelastic chemicals, which should prevent the foam when heating up when it comes in contact with body heat. This should help you stay cool throughout the night.
You might not like Nolah Signature if you:
- Like a medium feel – Either side of the Signature could feel a little Softer or Firmer than most memory foam beds that fall in the Medium range. Those looking for a Medium comfort level may want to opt for the Nolah Original 10”, instead.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Signature is a bed-in-a-box product made of a proprietary foam that is meant to contain more of a bounce and cooling effect than traditional memory foam. This item can be used on any frame, though the company recommends slats be no more than 4 inches apart to provide adequate support to the foam. The mattress is compatible with adjustable frames and proprietary adjustable frames are available through the company’s site.
The cover is an unbleached, diamond-pattern, ivory-colored cotton cover that should feel soft and cool to the touch.
This bed measures a total of 12 inches.
- The first layer, working with the Soft side on top, is comprised of 2.5 inches of Cooling Nolah AirFoam™. You should find yourself feeling cool and comfortable as this proprietary foam should not heat up on contact.
- The second layer is made up of 1.5 inches of Deep Supportive High-Resilience Foam. This should provide a Softer comfort level and pressure relief, but should offer enough support that you don’t sink all the way to the foundation core beneath.
- The third layer contains 7 inches of Reinforced High-Density Core Foundation. Shoppers should find this layer provides enhanced edge support and a Firmer sleep experience when opting to sleep on the Firm side.
- The fourth layer is comprised of 1 inch of Cooling Nolah AirFoam™. Those who choose the Firm comfort level should feel well-supported, which should help to keep the spine neutral.
Note: This overview works from the Soft side down. Layer order would be reversed when sleeping on the Firm side.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We give the Soft comfort level a 4 out of 10 on our Firmness scale, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest level. We ranked the Firm comfort level at 8 out of 10. We previously ranked Nolah’s Original mattress with a Medium 5 out of 10.
Using the Soft option for reference, sleepers should sink into the top layer and experience a deep cradle effect, which should help to relieve pressure from heavier areas of the body. The support core in the third layer of the mattress should help keep your spine aligned and neutral.
Traditionally, memory foam does not have a lot of bounce, but because Nolah works with their own exclusive foams that have been pressure blasted to create inner air pockets, this foam acts like traditional latex, but with more bounce. This should keep you from feeling stuck in the mattress so that you can still move around easily when repositioning. Hot sleepers should feel cooling relief due to the proprietary foam’s lack of viscoelastic materials, which tend to heat up upon contact with body heat.
Combination sleepers who spend a lot of time on their stomachs or prefer a Firmer back support may sink deeper into the top layer than is their preference, but as this mattress offers both a Soft and Firm option, this shouldn’t be an issue. See more beds for combination sleepers.
Most side sleepers should be happiest with the Soft side, with the enhanced pressure relief offered by the deep cradle of the first and second layers. This should help eliminate aches and pains from pressing the shoulders and hips into the mattress as you sleep. For more a greater understanding of the special considerations for side sleeper mattresses, click here.
Stomach sleepers will likely prefer the Firm comfort level, which should offer less sinkage and ample extra support to keep their spine neutral. Read more about picking a solution for stomach sleepers.
Back sleepers get the best of both worlds, as they should be able to find the right feel for their needs between the two sides. Those who prefer a cloud-like experience can opt for the pressure relieving hug of the Soft side and those who prefer a Firmer feel can choose to flip the bed as needed.
The company recommends a weight limit of 350 pounds for Twin, Twin XL, or Full beds and 700 pounds for Queen, King, or Cali King sizes. Those sleepers who are significantly heavier than average may prefer the Firm side for its enhanced support.
Memory foam is generally very good at keeping motion transfer to a minimum, and the Nolah Signature does just that. While there is a little more bounce than traditional memory foam thanks to the latex-like nature of the AirFoam™, the material should prevent motion from traveling too much throughout the bed. This is ideal for co-sleepers or those who share their mattress with children and pets.
All-foam beds packed in boxes may sometimes lack edge support due to the more easily compressed nature of the foam, but this product seems to offer a little more support than expected in this area. The reinforced support core seems to hold up well when lying on the edge, with minimal compression, this should come as a plus for sleepers who like to sprawl out. More compression may be noticeable when sitting at the edge of the bed, but this common for bed-in-a-box type products and may not be an issue for most shoppers.
- Multiple Firmness Options – This product can be flipped on either side for a Soft or Firm feel.
- Wildlife Adoption – Nolah will adopt an animal in need with each mattress sale. Buyers may choose their preferred animal from a list provided with purchase.
- Community-Minded – Nolah will donate or recycle mattresses returned to the company.
- Trial Period – Shoppers can get a feel for their Nolah mattress for up to 120 days.
- Warranty – The company offers a lifetime warranty.
- Shipping – Nolah ships for free within the continental United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – All of Nolah’s proprietary foams are certified to be free of harmful materials like lead and formaldehyde.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$999|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||$1,099|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,699|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,699|
Shoppers interested in a hybrid feel should love the bounce and cool nature of the Nolah’s AirFoam™, but should still be able to enjoy the motion isolation and pressure relief usually present in traditional memory foam.
Community-minded sleepers can rest easy knowing their purchase is helping to give back to the world around them through charity donations of returned mattresses and adopting wildlife creatures in need.
Sleepers of all kinds should be able to find something to love about this double-sided bed with multiple firmness options. And the unique nature of Nolah’s exclusive foam should offer a hybrid feel for those who like the feel of both memory foam and latex.
These qualities, combined with a lifetime warranty, lend a lot of value to this luxury bed.
Author: Jill Thompson
I've been self-employed for almost four years and I would not change it for anything! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals with the right attitude and determination.
I'm an avid traveler (25+ countries and counting) that loves to meet new people doing amazing things.
When I'm not researching for the Sleep Advisor, you can find me reading, running, traveling, golfing, or meditating.
I wish you the very best on your journey!