Is it possible to find the perfect balance between memory foam and latex? Can side sleepers and stomach sleepers be satisfied by a single bed?
By working with sleep experts and devoting themselves to learning everything they could about the science of sleep, Nolah designed their dream bed with their Signature 12-inch model.
The Nolah Signature mattress combines six layers of organic cotton, memory foam, high resilience foam, and knitted poly-yarn.
Our Nolah Signature mattress review will explore the company’s exclusive foam and how this mattress differs from the Nolah Original model. In addition, you’ll learn about Nolah’s layers and how they perform in different conditions. You’ll also find ratings based on cooling, edge support, value, and more.
Read through for a detailed analysis of the bed’s materials and features, or skip to the end for the final score.
Who Do We Think Matches With Nolah Signature?
- Pressure relief seekers – The Nolah Signature is designed to maximize pressure relief by adding as much as 75 percent more AirFoam™ than its predecessor, the Nolah Original. According to Nolah, the Signature provides 40 percent more full-body pressure relief.
- Side sleepers – Most side sleepers should find the deep cradle and enhanced pressure relief offers a comfortable experience that removes pressure from heavier areas like the hips and shoulders.
- Hot sleepers – The company’s proprietary Cooling Nolah AirFoam™ doesn’t contain any viscoelastic chemicals. It should prevent the foam from heating up when it comes into contact with body heat, helping you stay cool throughout the night.
Possible Nolah Signature Complaints:
- It might be too soft – The Nolah Signature could prove too soft for those who prefer the feel of a firmer model, such as average-size back and stomach sleepers. Additionally, significantly heavier sleepers typically prefer firmer beds. As a result, these shoppers may gravitate toward a different model, such as the Nolah Evolution.
- Poor Edge Support – The Nolah Signature may not provide the best edge support when you sit on the edge of the bed. The edges tend to sag if you sit or sleep in this area.
Construction: What’s inside Nolah Signature?
The Signature is a bed-in-a-box product made of Cooling Nolah AirFoam™, which is a proprietary foam that contains more of a bounce and cooling effect than traditional memory foam. This item can be used on any frame, though the company recommends slats be no more than 4 inches apart to provide adequate support to the foam. The top features a luxury cotton cover that should feel soft and cool to the touch. It’s moisture-wicking and has a cooling effect, so it’s good for hot sleepers. The Nolah Signature also has a four-way knitted border cover made from poly yarns. The border cover is non-skid, so the mattress doesn’t move on the foundation.
This bed measures a total of 12 inches.
- The first comfort layer is 2.5 inches of Cooling Nolah AirFoam™. You should find yourself feeling cool and comfortable on this proprietary foam. It comes right under the cotton cover, contouring to your body and adapting to its shape regardless of the sleeping position you prefer.
- The second comfort layer is made up of 1.5 inches of Deep Supportive High-Resilience Foam. This layer is made to provide adequate bounce, which should help with repositioning and getting in and out of bed.
- Support layer is an inch of AirFoam™. This AirFoam™ layer is firmer than the top and designed to provide enhanced pressure relief for your most sensitive areas.
- The base contains 7 inches of Reinforced High-Density Core Foundation. Shoppers should find this layer provides enhanced contouring and support for the upper layers. The base is made of breathable high-density foam to ensure comfort and durability.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Your Signature will arrive vacuum-sealed and rolled up in a box. The bed should only take a few minutes to fully expand, but the company recommends waiting a few hours before putting on your sheets to help any off-gassing dissipate more quickly.
You’ll first come into contact with the cotton cover, followed by the plush, Cooling Nolah AirFoam™.
Firmness Scale: 4/10 (Soft)
If you’re feeling achy and sore after waking up on your old mattress, pressure relief is probably your top priority. You might feel this in your hips, shoulders, neck, or core area. Side sleepers are especially susceptible because the hips and shoulders take on a lot of weight.
The Signature prioritizes pressure relief by providing 75 percent more AirFoam™ than the Original.
Sleepers should sink into the top layer and experience a deep cradle effect, which should help to relieve pressure from heavier areas of the body. Additionally, the 2.5 inches of AirFoam™ provide a plush feel that should conform around your curves, while the slightly firmer AirFoam™ layer further below should give you amplified relief on pressure points.
Furthermore, hot sleepers should feel cooling relief due to the proprietary foam’s lack of viscoelastic materials, which tend to heat up upon contact with body heat.
You will also need good support to remain comfortable—this is where a good, high-density layer comes in. The support core in the bottom layer of the mattress is 20 percent thicker than the Original, allowing for improved spine support to minimize the risk of back pain.
Traditionally, memory foam does not have a lot of bounce, but because Nolah works with their own exclusive foams that have been pressure blasted to create inner air pockets, this foam acts like traditional latex but with more bounce. The bounce should keep you from feeling stuck in the mattress so that you can still move around easily when repositioning.
The Nolah Signature comes rolled up in a box and shipped to your door, so you can avoid those obnoxious mattress salesmen. It takes only a few hours for the bed to roll out before you can sleep on it.
The company claims that their Nolah AirFoam™ is 100 percent temperature neutral so that heat doesn’t get trapped next to you. Plus, it has a moisture-wicking and cooling cotton cover. Therefore, it should help you sleep better—no more waking up due to night sweats.
Great Motion Isolation
While there is a little more bounce than traditional memory foam, thanks to the latex-like nature of the AirFoam™, the material should prevent motion from traveling too much throughout the bed. Motion isolation is ideal for co-sleepers or those who share their mattress with children and pets.
Nolah will adopt an animal in need with each mattress sale. Buyers may choose their preferred animal from a list provided with their purchase. Nolah will also donate or recycle mattresses returned to the company.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Handcrafted in the USA
All of Nolah’s proprietary foams are certified to be free of harmful materials like lead and formaldehyde.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Nolah ships for free within the continental United States. Once shipped, you will receive a notification with your FedEx tracking number.
- Trial - Shoppers can get a feel for their Nolah mattress for up to 120 nights. The first 30 nights is the so-called break-in period, while the remaining 90 days is when you can return the mattress if you don’t like it.
- Warranty - The company offers a lifetime warranty, covering manufacturing defects and faulty materials. The warranty doesn’t cover damage caused by normal wear and tear and misuse.
- Returns - You can return your Nolah mattress after a minimum of 30 days, which is how long it takes for your body to adapt to a new bed. Then, if you still don’t like it, you can return it for a full refund after you’ve paid a $99 transportation fee.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$1,099|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,199|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1,399|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,599|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,799|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,799|
Shoppers interested in a hybrid feel should love the bounce and cool nature of the Nolah’s AirFoam™ but should still be able to enjoy the motion isolation and pressure relief usually present in traditional memory foam.
Most side sleepers should enjoy the enhanced pressure relief offered by the addition of extra proprietary foam. As a result of this emphasis on pressure relief, the Signature should help eliminate aches and pains from pressing the shoulders and hips into the mattress as you sleep.
Back sleepers should appreciate the thicker support core, which should give them better support and spine alignment in this position. Plus, the pressure-relieving features should keep their heavier areas comfortable. Some average-size and heavier back sleepers, though, may prefer the company’s hybrid model, the Evolution.
The thicker support core should enhance the sleep experience for some stomach sleepers. For example, lightweight individuals should do okay in this position, but average and heavier stomach sleepers may find the Signature is too soft for their taste. In that case, we’d suggest the Evolution.
The Signature’s responsiveness could benefit many combination sleepers who regularly change positions since it should help them reposition more easily. Most combo sleepers who rotate between their back and side should be fine. The bed’s Deep Supportive High-Resilience Foam gives it enough bounce to help you change positions easily. However, those who also rest on their stomach may want a firmer model such as the Evolution.
If you’re sharing a bed with a partner, you should love the motion isolating foams and bounce. Furthermore, if you both require good pressure relief, this could be a great match. However, some heavier couples may not feel supported enough by the softer feel of this bed. And, you may also need more edge support if you or your partner like sleeping near the edge of the bed.
Most people who carry extra weight prefer firmer mattresses since these beds don’t make them feel like they are sinking too deep into the layers and feeling stuck. Sinking too much also puts their spine in poor alignment, increasing their risk of back pain. We would advise heavier sleepers to check out the Firm version of Nolah’s Evolution hybrid bed.
The Signature should feel excellent for lighter sleepers—the foams easily compress so that you can feel both the comfort and support layers. The softer firmness, which typically works well for lightweight sleepers, should also add to the appeal of this bed. With extra emphasis on targeted pressure relief, light sleepers should feel that their curves are nicely cradled.
The unique nature of Nolah’s exclusive AirFoam™ foam offers a great blend of latex and memory benefits. Plus, the addition of more proprietary foam and a thicker base should provide more substantial pressure relief and support in most sleeping positions. Lightweight sleepers, back, and side sleepers, and couples should appreciate the bounce, motion isolation, and body-cradling. In addition, the bad has cooling properties to help hot sleepers sleep during the hottest nights.
These qualities, combined with a lifetime warranty, free shipping, and a 120-night trial, lend a lot of value to this luxury bed.
How Much Does the Nolah Signature Mattress Cost?
The price of the Nolah Signature mattress depends on the size. The Twin size is the smallest and most affordable at $1,099, while the Cali King is the largest Nolah Signature and the most expensive at $1,799. The Signature is also available in Split King size, which is essentially two beds in the Twin XL size. The cost of the Nolah Signature Split King is $ 2,398.
Can You Flip the Nolah Mattress?
The Nolah doesn’t require flipping. It should always be on the foundation with the topside turning upwards. However, you should rotate the mattress 180 degrees every three to six months to ensure even wear.
Is the Nolah Mattress Good for Side Sleepers?
The Nolah Signature mattress is good for side sleepers as it provides gentle contouring and targeted pressure relief. The bed is rated 4/10 on our firmness scale, meaning it’s soft. The construction, mainly the support layer with firmer AirFoam™, provides pressure relief for the most sensitive areas like your hips, shoulders, and knees.