The health and wellness industry continues to create innovative technology designed to make life easier, better, and healthier. Now, cutting-edge performance materials are available in a hybrid bed, and we examined how this product stacks up against other hybrid mattresses in the industry.
Our in-depth look at the Bear Star Hybrid, formerly known as the Bear Hybrid, examines what makes this high-tech product tick, including its Celliant® cover made from a performance fabric that’s designed to enhance recovery.We’ll break down the pros and cons of this mattress, so you can decide if this is the right option for you.
Watch Our Bear Star Hybrid Video Review
We are currently working on updating our video review for the Bear Star Hybrid
Who We Recommend The Bear Star Hybrid For:
- Fans of emerging technology – The makers of Celliant® have been workingwith the FDA to begin the process of proving the long-term health benefits of their textile. Those with an eye on technology will appreciate this “next-generation” sleep experience.
- Combination sleepers – This bed falls in the middle range for firmness, bounce, responsiveness, and pressure relief, making it a good choice for a variety of sleeping positions. Its versatility and expert responsiveness works well for combination sleepers in particular.
- Environmentalists – The Bear Star Hybrid is a great selection for those who are passionate about protecting the planet. The bed’s UL GREEENGUARD Gold certification means this product produces low emissions and is environmentally-friendly.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Bear Star Hybrid For:
- People looking for a thinner bed – At 13 inches tall, the Bear Star Hybrid is one of the thickest bed-in-a-box mattresses. This is worth considering if you are a shorter person, elderly, or have mobility issues. While 13 inches might not seem like much on its own, you may find it to be too high if you use a boxspring bed.
- Budget shoppers – Innovation is exciting, but it’s not always affordable. The Bear uses some impressive technology in its construction, and while it should last you for a long time, the initial price may be higher than your preferred budget range. Therefore, our budget shoppers might prefer more affordable mattress options.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 6/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
We rate mattress firmness on a scale of one to ten, where one is the softest and ten the firmest. The Bear Star Hybrid is rated a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, which translates to a medium-firm feel. This mid-range firmness should fit most people. However, significantly heavy and light sleepers may prefer a different model depending on their preferred sleeping position.
Although the mattress feels slightly firmer, it allows gentle cradling to prevent pressure build-up while still maintaining spine alignment.
How Does It Feel?
The Bear Star Hybrid is compressed, packed into a box, and delivered straight to your door. It should be ready for use within 48 hours.
Lying down, you should feel the comfort of the quilted cover and the first layer of performance foam. You can expect gentle cradling, but you shouldn’t feel like you’re sinking into the mattress.
This hybrid mattress should give you more of a cloud-like sleep experience. The foam is responsive to changes in pressure, and the coils provide a good bounce while the comfort layers up top offer a soft surface to stretch out on.
What We Like About the Bear Star Hybrid
- Innovative cover – The Bear Star Hybrid has an innovative moisture-wicking cover that combines Celliant® fibers with HydroCool® technology. As a result, it helps the mattress surface dry fast and remain cool throughout the night, which is a win for hot sleepers.
- Certified materials – This hybrid mattress may be especially attractive to eco-conscious shoppers as it comes with a range of certifications that ensure the mattress is free of chemicals, heavy metals, toxins, and harmful substances.
- Ultra cooling – The cooling effects of this bed don’t end with its cover. A copper-infused memory foam layer lays underneath the cover and helps prevent the bed from overheating. In addition, the coil base promotes plenty of airflow.
Our Bear Star Hybrid Complaints
- It’s tall – The Bear Star Hybrid is 13 inches tall, so it may look a bit bulky in some bedrooms. If you’re using a box spring, you may find this bed to be too tall, especially if you have a smaller room. Sadly, this is the only height option.
- Not for lightweight side sleepers – This mattress is rated a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, so it should feel medium-firm. Although this mid-range firmness should fit most people, it might be too firm for side sleepers under 130 pounds. A softer, more plush mattress is a better option for these sleepers.
Testing the Bear Star Hybrid Mattress: How it Performed
We tested the Bear Star Hybrid in various sleeping positions to see how it performs. We also tested this mattress’s performance in key areas such as pressure relief, support, motion isolation, and cooling, all of which are important for most couples and single individuals.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
The Bear Star Hybrid mattress contains a combination of foam and coils that provides substantial support. According to Bear representatives, there is no weight limit. However, those who weigh over 230 pounds are likely to experience the bed as softer, while those under 130 pounds may find it to be firmer. In addition, it’s important to pair this mattress with a flat, supportive foundation that can support both you and the mattress.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★☆☆||★★☆||★★☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★☆☆||★★☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers may find this bed too firm, particularly in the shoulder area. This can create pressure build-up for those under 130 pounds.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers should like the mid-range firmness and how the memory foam layer cradles the body. Those around 170 pounds should feel a nice balance of pressure relief and support, especially in the hip and shoulder area.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Side sleepers who prefer a softer bed should like how the Bear Star Hybrid feels. However, significantly heavier side sleepers are likely to sink too deeply, which can throw the spine out of alignment.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight back sleepers who prefer a firmer mattress will like the support of the foams and coils. However, significantly lighter sleepers may still find it too firm, which can result in lower back pain.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight back sleepers should notice more sinkage, but the comfort and transition layers do a good job of preventing them from bottoming out to the coils.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy back sleepers might sink deeper, so they should feel like sleeping “in” the bed more than “on” it. They’ll feel their weight evenly distributed, which helps prevent the heaviest parts from sinking in.
- Lightweight Sleepers – People under 130 pounds don’t weigh enough to activate the Bear Star Hybrid’s upper layers. That being said, they’re unlikely to sink into the mattress, experiencing it as firmer than it is for average-weight people. As such, it should be a good match for lightweight stomach sleepers.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers should also get sufficient support from the Bear’s heavy-duty coils. However, those closer to 230 pounds may prefer a firmer mattress.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy stomach sleepers need maximum support. Although the Bear Star Hybrid doesn’t have a weight limit, the foams may allow too much give in the hip area, especially for those who weigh over 230 pounds.
Pressure Relief & Pain
The Bear Star Hybrid is constructed with multiple layers of pressure-relieving foam. First, you’ll find cooling gel foam below the cover that’s designed to be soft enough to make you feel as though you’re sleeping on top of a cloud.
Below that is a second layer of foam for added comfort, which should help minimize discomfort from pressure points. The third foam layer is built to respond to your body’s movements, thus providing necessary pressure relief in the process.
Back Pain – People with back pain should appreciate the Bear’s medium-firm feel which helps maintain a healthy sleep posture. Back sleepers should find sufficient support in the lumbar area as well as ample sinkage for pressure and pain relief.
Hip Pain – People with hip pain should avoid sleeping on their side because the Bear Star Hybrid may be too firm to relieve pain in this area. This is especially true for significantly heavy and lightweight sleepers.
Shoulder Pain – Shoulder pain is another common issue for side sleepers, so it’s best to sleep on your back if this is something you struggle with. Sleeping on your back should help take the pressure off the shoulders by distributing your weight evenly across the mattress.
Proper spinal alignment is about more than just maintaining a good posture; it’s also critical for preventing chronic pain in different parts of the body, including the neck and back. Your mattress plays a significant role in maintaining neutral spine alignment while you sleep by providing adequate support.
The Bear’s hybrid design also includes an edge coil system, which is manufactured to provide not only a bit of bounce but also high-quality support that’s going to keep your spine in healthy alignment throughout the night.
Motion isolation is always important for people who share their bed with a partner, child, or pet. The issue becomes even more critical if one person is a restless sleeper or has a different sleeping schedule. Although all-foam beds are usually better at isolating motion than hybrids, the Bear Star Hybrid mattress does an exceptionally good job. The mattress has two foam layers and a quilted cover, all of which help absorb movement so that it doesn’t transfer from one side to the other. In addition, the coils in this bed are individually-wrapped, which also helps with motion isolation, making this a good option for couples and combination sleepers.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
The Bear Star Hybrid mattress has a few cooling features that make it a good choice for hot sleepers. The construction starts with a unique cover made with a blend of Feran Ice fabric and Celliant fiber that helps promote a cool and fast-drying surface. Beneath that is a layer of copper-infused memory foam, which helps draw heat away from your body. The heat then travels to the coil unit and out of the mattress since the coils leave plenty of room for airflow.
Performance for Couples
Couples should appreciate this hybrid mattress as it boasts solid performance in motion isolation, edge support, and bounce. Although the mattress combines coils with foam, the Bear Star Hybrid mattress isolates motion well enough to prevent it from transferring from one side to the other. This is crucial for partners with different sleeping habits. On top of that, the coils give it a bit of bounce that may benefit some sexually-active couples. The coils also extend from one edge to the other, providing enough support for couples to spread out across the mattress.
The bed is made with a gel foam quilted into the cover that is designed to keep you cool and comfortable while you rest. In addition, the combination of Celliant fiber and Feran Ice fabric should also help cool the surface of the bed.
Exceptional Edge Support
The Bear’s edged coil system should provide strong edge support to prevent sagging. This system also ensures getting in and out of bed is a hassle-free process.
For those looking for an eco-friendly brand, the Bear Star Hybrid has been awarded the GREENGUARD Gold Certification, which means it has passed the world’s strictest emission standards.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Bear is made to be compatible with different foundations, including an adjustable base. The company also makes its own adjustable bases that you can purchase with your mattress.
Handcrafted in the USA
Construction: What’s Inside the Bear Star Hybrid?
For the bed-in-a-box industry, this mattress is thick, measuring 13 inches tall.
- The cover consists of a hand-quilted fiber material made with Celliant®, a performance textile that’s designed to enhance recovery is said to work by converting kinetic energy from the body into infrared light. The makers of Celliant® claim it can improve the oxygen in a person’s blood flow and reduce inflammation. Clinical tests of this material are still ongoing, and we encourage you to do your own research on the science behind infrared technology. You’ll also find HydroCool® technology in the cover, which helps the surface stay dry and cool.
- Below the cover is a cooling, copper-infused foam that’s 2 inches thick and is quilted into the top for a plush feel.
- The comfort layer is a 2-inch comfort foam that is designed to adapt to different body types and sleep positions.The coil unit sits below these foam layers. This edge coil system is 8 inches thick and should provide support and good alignment.
- The base is a 1-inch layer of high-density support foam which should give the product durability to stand the test of time.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The Bear Star Hybrid mattress comes compressed in a box, which makes it easier to move from your doorstep to the bedroom. However, you should still have a friend or a family member help you because the box can be heavy, especially if you opt for a larger bed size. If not, you may want to choose Bear’s White Glove Delivery option. For an additional $175, Bear representatives will remove your old mattress and set up your new one.
If you’re setting it up yourself, make sure to place the mattress on your foundation of choice before removing the packaging. This way, the mattress will unroll and decompress on the foundation. You can sleep on it right away, but keep in mind that it may take up to 48 hours for the bed to expand and reach its full size. Until then, it might not perform at its best. Any off-gassing odor you may notice should also be gone by the time the mattress decompresses.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This product has a GREENGUARD Gold certification that reflects the product’s ability to meet some of the world’s most rigorous emissions standards. On top of that, the foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
- Cool-to-the-touch cover: The Bear Star Hybrid’s cover was upgraded with HydroCool® technology, which takes this bed’s cooling factor up a notch.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Free shipping is available within the United States, excluding Puerto Rico. The company ships its products through FedEx.
- White Glove Delivery – White Glove Delivery is available for an additional fee of $175. The service includes removal of your old mattress.
- Trial – Bear gives you 120 nights to try out this new mattress before you decide if you want to keep it.
- Warranty – This mattress has a lifetime warranty.
- Return Policy – Returns are free and easy, but you can only return the mattress within the confines of your sleep trial. In other words, after 120 nights, you won’t be able to return the bed for a full refund.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 13”||$1,298|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 13”||$1,398|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,498|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,732|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,132|
|Cal King||72” x 84” x 13”||$2,132|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,796|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Bear Star Hybrid Mattress Good for Back Pain?
The Bear Star Hybrid mattress has a medium-firm feel that should offer support for those with back pain. The foam layers offer gentle cradling to prevent pressure and pain in the lumbar area, while the coils support the body by promoting a healthy sleep posture.
What Firmness Level is the Bear Star Hybrid?
We rated the Bear Star Hybrid a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, which means it has a medium-firm feel. This is on the slightly firmer side, but you may find the mattress slightly firmer or softer depending on your exact weight. In many cases, it also depends on your preferred sleeping position.
Does the Bear Star Hybrid Mattress Need a Box Spring?
The Bear Star Hybrid needs a solid base that can support its weight and that of the person using it. For this reason, the company doesn’t recommend using a box spring. Instead, you can use a platform bed, a solid bed frame, or an adjustable base.
Bear vs. Other Brands
Bear Star Hybrid vs. Helix Moonlight
- Lifetime warranty
- Quilted cover
- Soft feel
- 10-year warranty
- Optimal GlacioTex cover
Who We Recommend the Bear Star Hybrid For
- Average-weight people
- Back sleepers
Who We Recommend the Helix Moonlight For
- Lightweight people
- Side sleepers
- Budget shoppers
Bear Star Hybrid vs. Brooklyn Bedding Signature Hybrid
- Five layers
- Moisture-wicking cover
- Luxury design
- Three firmness options
- Zoned support
- 11.5 inches tall
Who We Recommend the Bear Star Hybrid For
- Those interested in innovative mattress technology
- Hot sleepers
- Combination sleepers
Who We Recommend the Signature Hybrid For
- Side sleepers
- People looking for a thinner mattress
- Sleepers with back pain
Explore our Signature Hybrid Mattress Review.
Bear Star Hybrid vs. Other Bear Models
Bear Star Hybrid vs. Bear Elite Hybrid
- Gentle cradling
- Medium-firm feel
- Copper-infused memory foam
- Zoned airflow
- Three firmness options
- Reinforced perimeter
Who We Recommend the Bear Star Hybrid For
- Hot sleepers
- People with pressure build-up
Who We Recommend the Bear Elite Hybrid For
- People looking for edge support
- Lightweight sleepers
- Stomach sleepers
Interested? Read our full Bear Elite Hybrid Mattress Review.
Bear Star Hybrid vs. Bear Original
- Hybrid design
- Moisture-wicking cover
- Individually-wrapped coils
- All-foam construction
- Sleep Recovery Technology™
- Cooling gel memory foam
Who We Recommend the Bear Star Hybrid For
- People with back pain
- Those struggling with hot flashes
- Sleepers looking for bounce
Who We Recommend the Bear Original For
- Those who prefer all-foam beds
- Sleepers who enjoy more sinkage
Check out our full Bear Original Mattress Review.
If you’re into wellness technology, you now have an opportunity to sleep on the cutting edge of science. The Bear Star Hybrid includes three different innovative materials — Celliant®, Feran Ice, and copper — for a luxuriously comfortable sleep experience.
Pressure relief is especially important for side sleepers who rest with their weight concentrated on a smaller surface area. These folks should feel comfortable in this bed and experience good stress relief in their hips and shoulders. However, significantly light or heavy people may prefer a different firmness.
Those who primarily sleep on their back should feel the upper foam layers contour well in their lumbar region while providing optimum pressure relief throughout the body. The base foam and coil layers further down should provide good support for proper spine alignment.
Stomach sleepers tend to require a bit more firmness with their mattress. Otherwise, their hips can sometimes sink too deep, and they can end up sleeping with their spine at an awkward angle. That being said, average-weight stomach sleepers should feel well supported in this mattress, though significantly heavier stomach sleepers may find they prefer a firmer mattress.
Combination sleepers tend to do well on beds with a more universal feel to accommodate their changing positions. We’ve scored this bed as medium-firm, which falls in the middle of the firmness scale and usually works well for most sleepers. Along with the bed’s hybrid construction for pressure relief and support, this is an excellent choice for combination sleepers.
Much like combination sleepers, couples do well with middle-ground beds that have multiple capabilities. Even if you’re a stomach sleeper and your partner is a back sleeper, the medium-firmness should work well for both of you. Furthermore, this bed is designed for good motion isolation, which is highly helpful so that the movements of one person shouldn’t disturb the other.
Heavier sleepers may have a harder time finding the right mattress because they need a product that adequately supports their frame, and they usually do well with beds that are more firm than plush. While the firmness of this bed rates as a medium, universal feel, heavier sleepers may find they’d prefer something more firm.
Those who weigh lighter may find that more plush beds are better suited for them. Even if you weigh lighter, though, this bed is still worth your consideration since it has three top foam layers for comfort and contouring that could work well for you. However, if you still prefer something softer, you have 120 nights to decide.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average-weight people should like how the Bear Star Hybrid feels in all sleeping positions thanks to its mid-range firmness. However, they may experience it as softer or firmer, depending on their exact weight. Average-weight side and back sleepers should benefit the most, while stomach sleepers may prefer a firmer bed if they’re closer to 230 pounds.
The Bear Star Hybrid is an appealing product because it should cater to a wide variety of sleepers. The medium-firm feel combined with the benefits of both foam and coils means that this bed offers sleepers a nice balance of comfort and support.
The Bear Star Hybrid mattress is a high-quality bed that combines coils and foam with innovative cooling technology. The foam has copper infusions to prevent overheating, while the coils add breathability to the whole construction.
This construction should work well for hot sleepers, couples, and average-weight sleepers of any position. However, lightweight and heavyweight sleepers may find a lack of pressure relief (lightweight people) and support (heavyweight people) with this medium-firm bed.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.
She started writing in 2016 and never looked back. What she appreciates the most is her flexible working hours and the ability to work with people worldwide.
In her free time, Olivera enjoys reading Spanish literature, taking pilates classes, and trying out new cocktails with friends.