The health and wellness industry continues to create innovative, smarter technology designed to make life easier, better, and healthier. Now, cutting-edge performance materials are available in a hybrid bed, and we examined how this product stacks up to other hybrids in the industry.
Our in-depth look at the Bear Hybrid Mattress will break down the characteristics of this high-tech product and its cover made with Celliant® technology, a performance fabric the company claims can help you recover from the wear and tear of an active lifestyle and improve your well-being.
Keep reading for the expansive details of what’s to love and consider about this mattress or jump here for the score and summary.
Excellent Matches For Bear Hybrid
- Fans of emerging technology – The makers of Celliant® have been engaging with the FDA to begin the process of proving the long-term health benefits of their textile. Those with an eye on technology will appreciate this “next-generation” sleep experience.
- Combination sleepers – This bed falls in the middle range for firmness, bounce, responsiveness, and pressure relief, making it a good choice for a wide variety of sleeping positions. Combination sleepers who change position throughout the night should appreciate the bed’s versatility.
- Environmentalists – The Bear Hybrid is a great selection for those who are passionate about protecting the planet. The bed’s Greenguard Gold certification means this product produces low emissions and is environmentally-friendly.
Possible Bear Hybrid Considerations:
- It’s thicker than most beds – At 14 inches tall, the Bear Hybrid is one of the thickest bed-in-a-box brands. This is worth considering if you are a shorter person, elderly, or have mobility issues. While 14 inches might not seem like much on its own, you may find it to be too high if you use a boxspring bed.
- These beds cost a bit more – Innovation is exciting, but it’s not always cheap either. The Bear uses some impressive technology in its construction, and while it should last you for a long time, the initial price may be higher than your preferred budget range.
Construction: What’s inside Bear Hybrid?
The mattress is compatible with different foundations, including platforms, slatted frames, or adjustable bases. The company recommends the use of a bunkie board – a slat of wood placed underneath the hybrid for added support – if you place it on traditional box springs.
For the bed-in-a-box industry, this mattress is thick, measuring at 14 inches tall.
- The cover consists of a hand-quilted fiber material made with Celliant®, a performance textile that is said to work by converting kinetic energy from the body into infrared light. The makers of Celliant® claim it can improve the oxygen in a person’s blood flow and reduce inflammation. Clinical tests of this material are still ongoing, and we encourage you to do your own research on the science behind infrared technology.
- Below the cover is a cooling gel foam that’s 2 inches thick and is quilted into the top for a plush feel.
- The next foam layer is a 2-inch comfort foam that is designed to adapt to different body types and sleep positions.
- Going deeper is the 1-inch transitional foam layer that’s built to provide airflow while also being highly responsive for pressure relief.
- The coil unit sits below these foam layers. This edge coil system is 8 inches thick and should provide support and good alignment.
- The base is a 1-inch layer of high density support foam which should give the product durability to stand the test of time.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Bear Hybrid is compressed, packed into a box, and delivered straight to your door. It should be ready for use by 48 hours.
Lying down, you should feel the comfort of the quilted cover and the first layer of performance foam. You can expect gentle cradling, but you shouldn’t feel sunken into the mattress.
This hybrid should give you more of a cloud-like experience. The foam is responsive to changes in pressure and the coils provide good bounce.
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Medium Firm)
As you lie down on a bed, you will begin to notice your weight collecting and placing added pressure in particular areas. These are known as your pressure points. Common ones could be the hips, back, and shoulders. Sometimes these pressure points can cause discomfort and even pain, which is why it’s important to invest in a bed that is specifically designed to provide relief for sensitive pressure points.
The Bear Hybrid is constructed with multiple layers of foam with pressure relief in mind. First, there’s the cooling gel foam below the cover that’s designed to be soft enough to make you feel as though you’re sleeping on top of a cloud.
Below that is a second layer of foam for added comfort which should help minimize discomfort from pressure points. The third foam layer is built to respond to your body’s movements, thus providing necessary pressure relief in the process.
Proper spinal alignment is about more than just maintaining a good posture; it’s also critical for preventing chronic pain in different parts of the body including the neck and back. A bed can play a significant role in helping to make sure your spine remains in a neutral position while you sleep by providing adequate support.
The Bear’s hybrid design also includes an edge coil system, which is manufactured to not only provide a bit of bounce, but also the high-quality support that’s going to keep your spine in good alignment throughout the night.
The bed is made with a gel foam quilted into the cover that is designed to keep you cool and comfortable while you rest.
Exceptional Edge Support
The Bear’s edged coil system should provide strong edge support to prevent sagging and ensure getting in and out of bed a hassle-free process.
The Bear Hybrid performs as expected for a hybrid bed-in-a-box, isolating most movement. The individually encased coils compress one-at-a-time, which also helps reduce motion transfer.
For those looking for an eco-friendly brand, the Bear Hybrid has been awarded the Greenguard Gold Certification, which means it has passed the world’s strictest emission standards.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Bear is made to be compatible with different foundations, including an adjustable base. The company also makes their own adjustable bases that you can purchase with your mattress.
Handcrafted in the USA
In addition to a Greenguard Gold Certification for low air pollutant emissions, this mattress is also CertiPUR-US certified. This label certifies that the bed has been tested by a third-party organization and found that levels of hazardous materials – such as formaldehyde, ozone depleters, or heavy metals like lead or mercury – are within acceptable levels.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is available within the United States, excluding Puerto Rico. The company ships their products through FedEx.
- Trial - Bear gives you 100 nights to try out this new mattress before you decide if you want to keep it, though the company does ask that you keep it for at least 30 days, giving your body time to adjust to the new bed.
- Warranty - This mattress has a 20 year limited warranty. The initial 10-year period is fully covered, while the remaining 10 years has limited coverage.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 14”||$1,095|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 14”||$1,295|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$1,495|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,695|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$1,995|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$1,995|
The Bear Hybrid stacks up well in the ever-growing hybrid space, and we think it will provide a luxuriously comfortable sleep experience for a wide variety of people.
If you’re into wellness technology, you now have an opportunity to sleep on the cutting edge of science.
Pressure relief is an especially important bedding detail for side sleepers who rest with their weight concentrated on a smaller surface area. These folks should feel comfortable in this bed and experience good stress relief in their hips and shoulders.
Those who primarily sleep on their back should feel the upper foam layers contour well in their lumbar region while providing optimum pressure relief throughout the body. The base foam and coil layers further down should provide good support for proper alignment of the spine.
Stomach sleepers tend to require a bit more firmness with their mattress. Otherwise, their hips can sometimes sink too deep and they can end up sleeping with their spine at an awkward angle. That said, average-weight stomach sleepers should feel well supported in this mattress, though significantly heavier stomach sleepers may find they prefer a firmer mattress.
Combination sleepers tend to do well on beds with a more universal feel to accommodate their changing positions. We’ve scored this bed as Medium-Firm, which is in the middle of the firmness scale and usually works well for most sleepers. Along with the bed’s hybrid construction for pressure relief and support, this is an excellent choice for combination sleepers.
Much like combination sleepers, couples do well with middle-ground beds that have multiple capabilities. Even if you’re a stomach sleeper and your partner is a back sleeper, the medium-firmness should work well for both of you. Furthermore, this bed is designed for good motion isolation, which is highly helpful so that the movements of one person shouldn’t disturb the other.
Heavier sleepers may have a harder time finding the right mattress because they need a product that adequately supports their frame, and they usually do well with beds that are more firm than plush. While the firmness of this bed rates as a medium, universal feel, heavier sleepers may find they’d prefer something more firm.
Those who weigh lighter may find that more plush beds are better suited for them. Even if you weigh lighter, though, this bed is still worth your consideration since it has three top foam layers for comfort and contouring that could work well for you. However, if you still need something more soft, you have 100 nights to decide.
The Bear Hybrid is an appealing product because it should cater to a wide variety of sleepers. It’s medium-firm feel combined with the benefits of having both foam and coils means that this bed offers consumers a bunch of perks in one convenient mattress.