The health and wellness industry is expanding every day with newer and smarter technology designed to make life easier, better, and healthier – or so they claim. Now, cutting-edge performance materials are available in a hybrid bed, and we took a look at how they stacked up to other hybrids in the industry.
Our in-depth look at the Bear Hybrid Mattress will break down the characteristics of this high-tech product and its cover made with Celliant® technology, a performance fabric the company claims can help you improve oxygen levels and recover from the wear and tear of an active lifestyle.
Keep reading for the nitty-gritty details of what’s to love and consider about this mattress or jump here for the score and summary.
You will love Bear Hybrid if you:
- Like to stay on top of technology – The makers of Celliant® have been engaging with the FDA to begin the process of proving the long-term health benefits of their textile. Those with an eye on technology will appreciate this “next-generation” sleep experience.
- Are a combination sleeper – This bed falls about in the middle of the range for firmness, bounce, responsiveness, and pressure relief, making it a good choice for a wide variety of sleeping positions. Combination sleepers who change position throughout the night will experience benefits of this mattress in multiple positions.
- Want to give back – Bear Mattress donates a portion of all of their profits to charities that promote active lifestyles for children. Additionally, if you want to return your mattress, they will arrange for a local charity to come pick up the bed from your home.
You might not like Bear Hybrid if you:
- Need a small size – The Bear Hybrid is currently only sold in three sizes: Queen, King, and California King. Smaller standard sizes – Twin, Twin XL, or Full – are available by calling the company and placing a custom order.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Bear Hybrid is compressed, packed into a box, and delivered straight to your door from the company’s manufacturing facility in Wisconsin. It is compatible with several different foundations, including platforms, slatted frames, or adjustable bases. The company recommends the use of a bunkie board – a slat of wood placed underneath the hybrid for added support – if placing it on traditional box springs.
The cover is made from polyester that is quilted to 2 inches of hyper-soft poly foam, which gives the top a luxuriously plush feeling. Unique to this cover fabric is the inclusion of Celliant®, a performance textile that is said to work by converting kinetic energy from the body into infrared light.
The makers of Celliant® claim it can improve oxygen in a person’s blood flow and reduce inflammation. All while you are sleeping! Clinical tests of this material are still ongoing, and we encourage you to do your own research on the science behind infrared technology.
Bear specifies that the cover does not require special cleaning or care, and Celliant® will not diminish or “rub off” over time since it is completely incorporated into the fabric.
For the bed-in-a-box industry, this mattress is thick, measuring at a full 14.5 inches tall with layer of foam and coils.
- The first layer is 3 inches of breathable Bear performance foam made from a quick-responding latex alternative that contours to your body and relieves pressure points.
- The second layer is 2 inches of gel-infused memory foam that provides additional contour while containing properties that help to reduce heat retention associated with traditional memory foam.
- The third layer is a 2.4-inch system of individually fabric-encased coils, a supportive layer that gives the bed some bounce and promotes airflow, which can help keep the mattress cool.
- The base layer is 5 inches of high-density foam that gives the bed’s foundation support and stability.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored this mattress at a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. This places Bear Hybrid in the medium firmness range, which will accommodate a wide variety of sleepers’ needs and preferences.
Lying on top of the bed, you will feel the comfort of the 2-inch hyper-soft quilted cover and the first layer of performance foam. Overall, you can expect a gentle cradling as this foam and the memory foam layer beneath it contour to your body’s curves, but you shouldn’t feel sunk into the mattress, a feeling associated with some traditional memory beds.
This hybrid will give you more of a cloud-like sleeping experience, meaning your body will feel as if it is floating on top of the mattress. The foam responds quickly to changes in pressure and the coils provide good bounce, so it should be easy for most people to change positions or get in and out of this bed.
Altogether, the support of a high-density base layer of foam and the coil system paired with the pressure relief of the softer foam layers create a good balance. This is important for combination sleepers who change position at night or couples who have different sleeping preferences.
Back sleepers should feel the upper foam layers offering good contouring in their lumbar region, and the base foam and coil layers provide good support.
Pressure relief is especially important for side sleepers who sleep with their weight concentrated on a smaller surface area, and they also should feel comfortable in this bed with good stress relief in their hips and shoulders.
Stomach sleepers tend to require a bit more firmness with their mattress. Otherwise, their hips can sometimes sink too deep and they can end up sleeping with their spine at an awkward angle. That said, average-weight stomach sleepers should feel well supported in this mattress, though significantly heavier stomach sleepers may find they prefer a firmer mattress.
It is important to remember that how you experience a bed will depend a lot on your body shape and size, but we think that the Bear Hybrid will accommodate a pretty wide variety of sleep needs and preferences. Also, the thickness, high-density base, and support coils of this mattress make it a good choice for a wide range of body weights, including those who are significantly heavier.
If you share a bed with a partner, you risk disturbing each other’s sleep if motion tends to transfer through your mattress and one or both of you are a light sleeper.
In general, memory foam performs exceptionally well in this category, while sub-par innerspring mattresses tend to isolate motion the least. Hybrids that have a blend of foam and innerspring layers usually score somewhere around the middle.
The Bear Hybrid performs as expected for a hybrid bed-in-a-box, isolating most movement. The individually encased coils compress one-at-a-time, which also helps reduce motion transfer.
Edge support is not usually a “make or break” issue when mattress shopping. Overall, this bed performed similarly to other bed-in-a-box brands in the edge support category. There is some compression in the edge when sitting on the side of the bed. When lying down with the body’s weight more evenly distributed, the bed feels more solid, and you won’t feel as if you will tilt out onto the floor.
- Trial Period – Bear gives you 100 days to try out this new mattress before you decide if you want to keep it, though the company does ask that you keep it for at least 30 days, giving your body time to adjust to the new bed.
- Warranty – Bear is offering a 20-year warranty on this hybrid.
- Free Shipping – Available in the U.S.A. and Canada through FedEx.
- Custom Orders Available – Currently, the only sizes available through the website are Queen, King, and California King, but the company does offer custom orders of other standard sizes, such as Twin, Twin XL, and Full, which must be ordered over the phone.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This label certifies that the bed has been tested by a third-party organization and found that levels of hazardous materials – such as formaldehyde, ozone depleters, or heavy metals like lead or mercury – are within acceptable levels.
- Giving Back – A portion of Bear’s profits go directly to charities that promote healthy lifestyles among children with the donation of athletic equipment and other supplies.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14.5”||$1,350|
|King||76” x 80” x 14.5”||$1,650|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14.5”||$1,650|
Bear’s high-performance sleep technology is now available as a super-comfortable hybrid!
The Bear Hybrid stacks up well in the ever-growing hybrid space, and we think it will provide a luxuriously comfortable sleep experience for a wide variety of people.
The family behind Bear has been in the business for over 25 years, and their expertise shows with the design and construction of this hybrid. The company is committed to promoting healthy lifestyles while awake and asleep, and they have invested their future in smart performance textiles that are striving to bring wellness products to the next level.
If you’re into wellness technology, you now have an opportunity to sleep on the cutting edge of science.
Are you still deciding? Be sure to check out our complete list of amazing mattresses.