Focused on technology, the founders of Nolah wanted to replace what they saw as outdated memory foam and latex materials. Their 20 years of combined experience in the sleep field led them to creating Nolah Air Foam™, a proprietary material that stays temperature neutral and reduces pressure on hips, shoulders, and backs.
The company claims their new material is “better than memory foam and latex,” which meant we could not wait to try it out!
The following Nolah bed review is based on our scoring system that takes into account firmness, support, pressure relief, and value.
Keep reading to see our full breakdown of the mattress or check out the summary here.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Are a side sleeper. Nolah clearly excels in providing the pressure relief you need. The company positions their product as having four times less peak pressure than similar memory mattresses.
- Worry about harmful chemicals. Nolah’s CertiPUR-US® certification guarantees their product is free from formaldehyde and cancer-causing substances that competitors use in their foams.
- Enjoy purchasing products that make a difference. A wildlife animal is adopted with each purchase and returned mattresses are donated to local charities. In addition to their environmentally-friendly bed-in-a-box shipping model, you can rest easy knowing you have a product that helps the planet.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Are a heavier sleeper. People who are significantly heavier back or stomach sleepers may need to consider another mattress to aid proper alignment.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Nolah is an all-foam mattress based on the latest advances in technology. It is made to be placed on a flat surface, such as a platform, box spring, floor, or closely slatted bed.
The trendy two-tone cover is made of natural Viscose fibers that have a soft, plush feel to the touch. The Viscose wicks moisture away from the body and helps to regulate body heat. Besides, the cover zips off for easy cleaning.
After examining the cover, we moved on to the three foam layers that make up the bed’s 10-inch height.
● The top layer is made of 2-inch proprietary Nolah AirFoam™. Similar beds on the market are made with latex and memory foam, which the company claims are dated materials from the 1920s and 1970s, respectively.
Their technological research and innovations led to the creation of the exclusive material, which is cooler than memory foam infused with cooling gel. It is 100% temperature neutral. In addition, the brand says that it is more durable than latex.
● The second layer consists of 1-inch latex-like support foam. This serves as a transition layer from the top to bottom layer.
● The third layer is 7-inch high-density polyurethane base. This sturdy level provides the support and structure of the mattress. Its thickness and density helps to even out the softness of the top two layers.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
A medium-level firmness means that most positions should feel supported and enjoy a comfortable night’s rest. This level of firmness has pressure relief and support, making it great for almost anyone, as well as couples with differing needs.
This mattress has a medium-level firmness. We have rated it a 4.5 to 5 out of 10 on our firmness scale with 10 being the firmest.
It is important to note that Nolah is slightly less firm than others on the market. Overall, Nolah’s construction ensures that you will feel gently cradled but not sink down so far that you are sleeping inside the bed. It will get softer over time, so keep that in mind when buying or taking advantage of the trial period.
While pushing into the top of the Nolah, you will feel the soft Viscose cover and the 2-inch foam layer. The experience is similar to memory foam in feel. The mattress’ responsiveness when pushing into it and releasing is in the middle of traditional slow memory foam and the quick elasticity of latex.
As previously mentioned, Nolah works wonders for side sleepers. The company touts stats about offering four times less pressure on hips, shoulders, and back areas than other beds, which is a top priority for those on their sides.
Back and stomach sleepers will typically find the support they need to be comfortable with their alignment.
However, significantly heavier individuals who sleep on their back or stomach may need to consider another mattress. The bed’s plush feel may not offer the necessary support from sinking into the bed.
If you are considering this brand, it is a low-risk investment due to the 120-day trial period that includes free shipping and pick-up.
Nolah is no exception. There is virtually no motion transfer on this bed.
While motion transfer is not important to everyone, it can be essential to light sleepers with partners or pets. When dropping weighted balls onto the bed, there is no disturbance of surrounding objects.
Nolah performs slightly above average to comparable beds in regards to edge support.
As to be expected of foam beds, you will sink down deeper than sitting on innersprings while sitting on the edge. Most of your time will be spent sleeping on the mattress, so this is a minor detail for most buyers.
While lying down on the edge, the bottom layer of polyurethane offers firm support. You will not roll off the mattress, but stay comfortably in place. This is crucial for individuals who sleep on or near the edge.
- Trial Period – 120-night trial period. This is slightly longer than the standard 100-night trial of similar brands. If you decide the Nolah is not for you, not only will the company provide a refund, but they will have someone pick it up for free and donate the bed to a local charity or mattress recycling program.
- Warranty – 15-year warranty with free repairs and replacements for damages covered under the warranty.
- Wildlife Adoption – The company has partnered with Defenders of Wildlife so that one wildlife animal is adopted with every purchase. You can decide which animal to protect while ordering and there are 20 species to choose from, ranging from polar bears to sea turtles. An adoption certificate will arrive in the mail separate from the mattress.
- Referral Bonus – If you sign up for a referral code on the company’s website, you can earn a $100 cash reward for every person who purchases using your code. Those who use your code will get $75 off their purchase.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This certification means that the bed contains non-existent/safe levels of certain harmful chemicals that could threaten your safety and the environment.
- 100% Made in the USA. Beds are made in America without any imported materials
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 10”||$549|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 10”||$649|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$799|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$949|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,069|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,069|
Nolah’s technological innovations have given side sleepers a reason to rejoice and their 120-day warranty has given them little reason not to buy!
The side sleepers on our team are raving about Nolah’s mattress. The pressure relief in heavier areas and temperature neutral top layer create a comfortable night’s sleep. If you are a side sleeper, we highly recommend this mattress.
Similar mattresses in stores retail for upwards of $2,800, meaning that you could save thousands of dollars on a quality bed by ordering through the company’s website.
The company’s commitment to the environment through helping endangered animals and maintaining CertiPUR-US® certifications has us feeling great about the decision to buy from a company with high standards that gives back to our planet (see all our top mattress picks).
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I’ll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.