Side sleepers often struggle with finding the right balance of comfort and support, as snoozing on your side concentrates your body weight on a more narrow surface area, placing extra pressure on the hips and shoulders.
Nolah aims to mitigate this issue with its pressure-relieving all-foam mattress, the Nolah Original. The soft upper foam layers should allow the pressure around the hips and shoulders to melt away, leaving you feeling better than ever. Hot sleepers should appreciate the brand’s inclusion of temperature-regulating materials, such as Tencel, AirFoam™, AirFoamICE™, and coils. Couples are another group that can benefit from the bed’s edge support and motion isolation.
Read through our Nolah Original mattress review to find out whether it’s meant to be. Short on time? Skip ahead for a quick rundown.
This is an old design of the mattress cover for Nolah's original mattress.
Who Do We Think Matches With Nolah?
- Side sleepers – This bed excels in providing the pressure relief you need when sleeping on the side. The company positions its product as having four times less peak pressure than similar memory foam mattresses.
- Safety warriors – Nolah’s CertiPUR-US® certification guarantees their product meets requirements for certain chemicals and substances that some competitors use in their high resilience foams.
- Lightweight Sleepers – People weighing 130 pounds or less are often more sensitive to firmer beds, given that they lack the amount of weight necessary to activate the deeper layers. Nolah’s plush design should be an excellent fit for lightweight individuals seeking a softer model.
Possible Nolah Complaints:
- It may not support heavier folks well. – People who are significantly heavier back or stomach sleepers may need to consider another mattress to aid proper alignment.
- High Price Point – Nolah provides premium beds for a fraction of the price you’d get in stores, but the higher price point may not be a good fit for shoppers on a tight budget. That being said, a bed is an investment in your sleep health, and Nolah is a quality product that should last you a significant amount of time.
Awards for Nolah Mattress
Construction: What’s Inside Nolah?
The Nolah Original mattress is an all-foam mattress based on the latest advances in technology. The bed performs best when placed on a flat surface, such as a platform, box spring, floor, or closely slatted bed.
The mattress is wrapped in an upgraded snow-white Tencel™ cover that offers a soft feel to the touch. The cover is of botanical origin, which helps it to wick away moisture from the body and regulate body heat.
Under the cover, three foam layers make up the bed’s 10-inch height.
- The top layer is made of 2-inch proprietary Nolah AirFoam™. Similar beds on the market are made with latex and memory foam, which the company claims are dated materials from the 1920s and 1970s, respectively. Nolah’s technological research and innovations led to the creation of the exclusive material, which they say sleeps cooler than memory foam infused with cooling gel. The foam is designed to be 100 percent temperature neutral. In addition, the brand says that it’s more durable than latex.
- The second layer consists of 1-inch latex-like support foam. This serves as a transition layer from the top to the bottom layer.
- The third layer isa 7-inch high-density polyurethane base. This sturdy unit provides the support and structure of the mattress. The base’s thickness and density help to even out the softness of the top two layers.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
A medium-level firmness means that most positions should feel supported and enjoy a comfortable night’s rest. This level of firmness has great pressure relief and support, making it great for almost anyone, as well as couples with differing needs.
While pushing into the top of the Nolah Original, you will feel the soft Tencel™ cover and the 2-inch foam layer. The experience is similar to memory foam in feel. The mattress’ responsiveness when pushing into it and releasing is in the middle of traditional slow memory foam and the quick elasticity of latex.
Nolah mattresses are slightly less firm than others on the market. It will get softer over time, so keep that in mind when buying or taking advantage of the trial period.
Firmness Scale: 5/10
Have you ever woken up with more aches and pains than you went to sleep with? You need a comfortable mattress that takes the pressure off your shoulders—literally. Side sleepers particularly struggle in this area, as the hips and shoulders tend to dig into the bed and can push your body in an uncomfortable position.
Nolah mattress holds nothing back in terms of pressure relief. The top layer is made of the company’s proprietary Nolah AirFoam™, which is soft, durable, and malleable. The materials should conform to your body so that you will feel gently cradled but not sink down so far that you are sleeping inside the bed.
Support is also vital in a mattress. Your spine needs a good, sturdy surface to remain straight throughout the years, one that won’t be susceptible to sagging. While Nolah Original is on the softer side, it does have a 7-inch high-density base, which should give the majority of sleepers the support that they need. The base acts as a foundation for the upper layers, preventing them from sagging over time.
There isn’t much bounce on the surface, but repositioning shouldn’t be an issue for most people. While you should sink in a bit on the top, the majority of sleepers should be able to adjust easily.
Vacuum-sealed and delivered to your doorstep, Nolah Original takes all the inconvenience out of mattress shopping. Plus, the box packaging makes it easier to move from your doorstep to the bedroom.
Great Motion Isolation
Unlike traditional beds that have inexpensive innersprings and continuous coils, foam and memory foam beds are wonderful when it comes to motion transfer. This Nolah mattress is no exception. There is virtually no motion transfer on this bed.
Many foam mattresses lack cooling capabilities, but this bed uses Nolah AirFoam™ which is specifically designed to keep sleepers cool. The brand claims their Nolah AirFoam™ is 100 percent temperature neutral and created without viscoelastic chemicals, which can trap heat, allowing you to snooze comfortably all night long.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Place Nolah Original on any foundation, including adjustable bases. The company has its own adjustable bases available on its website—there is even one with built-in massage options!
Handcrafted in the USA
This certification means that the bed contains non-existent/safe levels of certain harmful chemicals that could threaten your safety and the environment.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free to the continental United States.
- Trial - Nolah offers a 120-night trial period. This is slightly longer than the popular 100-night trial of similar brands. If you decide the Nolah mattress is not for you, not only will the company provide a refund, but they will have someone pick it up for free and donate the bed to a local charity or mattress recycling program.
- Warranty - Your new mattress comes with a lifetime warranty with free repairs and replacements for damages covered under the warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$699|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$899|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$999|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$1,149|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$1,349|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$1,349|
Nolah’s technological innovations have given side sleepers a reason to rejoice and their 120-night trial has given them one more reason to buy!
The Nolah Original mattress should work wonders for side sleepers, who often struggle with pressure build-up. The company touts stats about offering four times less pressure on hips, shoulders, and back areas than other beds, which is a top priority for those on their sides.
If you spend the majority of the night on your back, you’ll want something that hugs your curves and fills in space around the lumbar area to avoid any aches and back pain. This bed should do just that, but those who like a firmer option may prefer the mattress Nolah Signature Firm model.
Tummy sleepers need a durable, sturdy mattress to help support their core and keep their spine straight. Generally, they prefer a firmer bed. Nolah Original has a plushy feel that may not offer the support that stomach sleepers need. You can learn more about the preferences of a belly sleeper here
Maybe you don’t like to stay in any one position for too long – you are a combination sleeper. Nolah Original has a versatile feel that should feel comfortable in whatever back, side, and stomach position you find yourself in. Plus, you shouldn’t feel trapped in the plush foam layers and should be able to move freely.
Most couples will equally enjoy this bed for what it has to offer—the combination of pressure relief and edge support should be comfortable for both partners. The Nolah mattress foam has good motion isolation so that you won’t be disturbed throughout the night. If one or both of you are on the heavier side, it may cause some problems with support.
Significantly heavier individuals weighing above 230 pounds, especially those who are back or stomach sleepers, may need to consider another mattress. The Nolah Original's plush feel may not offer the necessary support from sinking into the bed. In this case, we would recommend a brand that has beds specially made for larger frames.
Those that are lighter weight should appreciate the soft upper foams that caress the curves and transition into the lower support. With the Nolah mattress being on the softer side, lighter sleepers should be able to feel the benefits of all the layers.
Side sleepers especially rave about Nolah Original’s mattress. The pressure relief in heavier areas and temperature-neutral top layer create a comfortable night’s sleep. If you are a side sleeper, we highly recommend this comfortable mattress.
The company’s commitment to delivering a comfortable and cool sleep experience offers great value to shoppers seeking temperature-neutral comfort.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Nolah Air Foam, and why is it so great?
The Nolah mattress brand specially creates AirFoam™, and it promises to be exceptionally durable and temperature neutral to let users sleep comfortably. It also claims to relieve pressure better than traditional memory foam, having 4x as much pressure relief and promising to let those who struggle with aches and pains to wake up feeling great.
Can I try it out risk-free?
Within the 120-night trial period, you should have no obligation to keep the mattress, letting you try it out for almost four full months to ensure it’s the right bed. Ample time for just about anyone to make sure they’re investing in a product that they look forward to sleeping on for years to come.
What is the Nolah mattress made of?
Nolah is a technology-driven company started by a duo with years of experience. Realizing traditional mattress materials like Latex and Memory Foam are underperforming, Nolah has used science and technology to create a truly unique and patented material called AirFoam™. It doesn’t contain harmful viscoelastic heat-trapping chemicals, unlike some memory foam mattresses.
How firm is the Nolah mattress?
The Nolah Original is designed to be universally comfortable, offering a medium firmness. However, the bed usually fits side sleepers the best, though lightweight and average-weight back sleepers may also like it. The product combines the support and bounce of latex and the soft contour of Memory Foam through a unique material, their patented AirFoam™. However, how firm it feels will depend on your body weight since heavier individuals may find it softer than lightweight folks.