Memory foam is a popular mattress style but it’s also developed a reputation for creating an overly warm sleeping environment. Fortunately, technological advancements have improved this, and one company that’s made great strides in reinventing the possibilities of memory foam is Nectar.
They believe in what they’ve made so much this bed comes with a 365-night sleep trial period and a forever warranty.
In this Nectar mattress review, we’ll explain what kinds of updates this company has made to this classic material. We’ll walk you through everything from the cooling to the look to how well it isolates motion.
Keep reading for the in-depth information on this product, or go ahead and skip to the end to see our scoring based on what kind of sleeper you are.
Excellent Matches For Nectar
- Memory-Foam Lovers – You love that feeling of a mattress slowly responding to your weight and wrapping around your body, and this brand should deliver that classic feel with some great modern touches.
- Pressure Relief Hunters – For those with achy joints and stiff muscles, the last thing you need in your bed at night is pressure. The memory materials here should cradle and balance most folks so that pressure doesn’t build up.
- Value Seekers – Nectar commits to delivering risk-free value for your dollar. They do this by keeping their prices affordable for the quality of materials and extending the sleep trial so you have plenty of time to try it and make sure it’s for you.
Possible Nectar Considerations:
- Little Bounce – If you like a bouncy feel that pushes back on your weight, then memory foam may not be your match. While you shouldn’t feel stuck and most can reposition easily, you won’t have the same springy feel that traditional coil mattresses deliver.
- Some Off-gassing – If you have a particularly sensitive nose, you may smell some off-gassing (“new car smell”) associated with this product since it’s made primarily of foam and is vacuum-sealed in a factory. This smell should dissipate completely in a few days with proper ventilation, and those with concerns should make plans to wait a few nights before testing out this brand.
Awards for Nectar Mattress
Construction: What’s Inside the Nectar?
Nectar’s memory foam mattresses are delivered to your home wrapped into a bag with handles. Its cover is made with polyethylene and a polyester/nylon blend, and it features a circular knit pattern. The cover’s cooling-focused design helps keep you comfortable while you sleep, which is especially helpful for those who tend to sleep hot at night.
On the underside of the cover, there are small bumps that grip the frame and hold the bed in place.
Overall, the bed stands 12 inches tall and is built with the following all-foam layers:
- Below the cover is 3 inches of a gel infused memory foam that is quilted to the cover to provide a plush feel while contouring to your body’s curves. The layer of gel helps keep the temperature of the bed regulated so you avoid overheating during the night.
- Going deeper into the mattress you will find 2 inches of soft conventional foam weighing in at 1.73 pounds. It helps to support the body’s weight and eases the transition from the comfort layers to the supportive base.
- The base layer of the bed is made of 7 inches of standard conventional foam with a density of 1.76 pounds. This bottom layer of the mattress provides support to the body and creates a sturdy and durable foundation for the mattress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
From the box, the mattress takes 24-72 hours to expand and reach its full size. Open the box in a well-ventilated room and give it time to breathe.
The outside has a classic look with grey side panels and a white quilted top.
Lying down, the mattress may feel firm at first. After a few seconds, though, the foams should begin responding and evenly balance your frame in a deeper hug within the mattress.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
For those who experience pain in their pressure points, the right bed should provide necessary pressure relief to help alleviate any pain.
The firmness score of this bed places it within the medium-firm range that tends to provide the right amount of comfort for most sleepers. Even lightweight sleepers should feel their bodies are nicely cradled within the foams for an all-over pressure relief and uniform sinkage.
Since the foams conform almost exactly to your shape, there should be no gaps between your body and the bed, which can cause weight to put more pressure on curves (especially hips and shoulders). The foams here battle gravity to give you a more weightless, floating feel.
We’d definitely characterize the sinkage as a “deep hug” in this mattress, which is great for people who like to sleep more “in-the-bed.” However, the foams are responsive enough to allow for easy changes between positions, though the brand does not have a lot of bounce.
The bottom two layers are noticeably firmer than the first two, and these form the support system which balances your weight and aligns your spine. When lying down on your bed, your spine position should feel neutral, or just as it does when you’re standing up.
The more uniform feel to the comfort materials, balanced with this support system should do a great job at keeping your weight balanced evenly. The firmer support foams should be enough to cradle most body weights, though folks with significant weight concerns (over 250 pounds) may prefer a bed with extra reinforcement.
This Nectar memory foam mattress is treated and infused with gel, which counteracts memory foam’s tendency to retain heat due to slower airflow. Because gel conducts heat more efficiently, it can travel quickly through the mattress so it isn’t pooled up against your sleeping body.
Exceptional Edge Support
Bed in a box choices don’t always excel here since they are made from foams that can be compressed into smaller shipping containers. However, the Nectar mattress is a pleasant surprise and edge-to-edge support should feel consistent, which is great for singles who want to spread out or couples who need more usable space.
Adjustable Base Compatible
If you have your eye on a frame that adjusts, Nectar mattress works really well adapting to a moveable frame. The company even offers its own frames designed specifically for their mattress.
This product is CertiPUR-US certified. This means the foams are made within safe limits of ozone depleters, formaldehyde, and heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Delivery is free within the contiguous United States, or to Hawaii and Alaska for an additional fee.
- White-Glove Delivery - Optimal white-glove delivery and mattress removal is available for an additional charge. The removal of your previous mattress is at the discretion of the provider, however, and may not be able in some areas for safety reasons.
- Trial - Keep this bed for 365 nights risk-free. If you are unsatisfied in any way, you can return it and claim a full refund.
- Warranty - Those who order a Nectar mattress receive a Forever Warranty, though this can not be transferred between owners. It is only effective for the original purchaser.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 72” x 11”||$798|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$968|
|Full||55” x 74” x 11”||$1,198|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,298|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,598 |
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,598 |
Those sleepers with a yen for that classic, slow-sink into pressure-relieving foams should be delighted with this product from Nectar, which provides a lot of quality for your dollar and includes updates to keep you cool and comfortable.
Pressure relief is a chief concern amongst this population because weight can pool uncomfortably on a smaller surface area in this position, especially in the hips and shoulders. If you’re curvier or have broad shoulders, this can be a real concern when choosing a side-sleeping mattress. The Nectar mattress should deliver what sleepers require to keep them balanced and comfortable.
Back sleepers need to be on the lookout for good lumbar support so that gaps between their upper back and backside don’t create strain in their lower back. The body conformance Nectar mattress delivers should feel great for most back sleepers, while the firm support foams keep the spine in a good neutral position.
Stomach sleepers need to ensure head to toe balance and alignment because any extra weight in the middle can cause the hips to dip, pushing the body out of alignment. This bed does provide balanced support for a majority of stomach sleepers, but those with heavier hips may want something with zoning or a bolstered support system.
Memory foam can be difficult for combination sleepers because the slow responding materials may make it harder to reposition. Most combination sleepers should find it easy to reposition on this bed, due in large part to the firm support foams. Paired with the bed’s versatility, this should work well, though folks with mobility issues might want slightly more responsiveness.
For couples who both enjoy memory foam, this is a great versatile pick that works for various body types while delivering exceptional motion isolation and edge support. Light sleepers shouldn’t be disturbed by their partner’s movements and couples should be able to stretch out from edge to edge, though sleeping directly on the edge may not be advisable.
A bed in this firmness range should work for a variety of different weights, including those who are heavier than average. The foams should cradle and transition into the support layers easily and comfortably, though folks with significantly larger frames may want to consider a bed with extra support built into its foundation.
Folks who are lighter than average can often experience bed as firmer than an average sleeper would and struggle to find a bed that can cradle their lighter bodies and allow for sinkage and body conformance necessary for pressure relief. Because of the multiple layers of comfort foam, even lightweight sleepers should feel hugged by this bed all over.
We think Nectar mattress represents a fantastic value in this market due to its quality and affordable pricing. The company is committed to keeping prices down for all their direct-to-consumer goods, and those wanting a memory bed with updated cooling technology and quality quilted cover will be hard-pressed to find a better value, either in stores or online.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I try the Nectar risk-free?
The Nectar offers one of the best trial periods around, letting customers try out a mattress for a full year before committing. They encourage their customers to use Nectar mattresses for at least 30 days, as they’ve found it takes your body time to adjust. With such confidence in their product, it lets buyers trial without stress.
Can I finance a Nectar mattress?
Yes, you could qualify to finance a Nectar product with Affirm or Splitit. The company realizes mattresses are significant purchases and wants to provide people of all situations with a comfortable night’s sleep.
How long is Nectar’s warranty?
Nectar is profoundly confident in their product and offers a “forever” warranty. Depending on how long you have owned your mattress, if your product experiences a defect, they will either replace or repair the bed. They believe the Nectar is the only mattress you’ll ever need— a pretty bold statement.
Is the Nectar firm or soft?
Nectar boasts their mattress’ comfort by proclaiming it hits the “mattress sweet spot,” at around a 6.5, or medium-firm, on their firmness scale. It’s made with Tencel, a fiber created with the wood pulp from trees, and combined with its breathable foam, this creates a product that distributes weight evenly and contours with ease to relieve pressure.
Is Nectar safe?
Nectar’s mattresses are made with foam that is certified independently by CertiPUR-US, which is a third party global rating standard. This organization certifies products that are free from known chemicals and gases that could cause harm like flame retardants, heavy metals, phthalates, formaldehyde, and volatile compounds, letting buyers sleep with ease.