Memory foam is a popular mattress style but it’s also developed a reputation for creating an overly warm sleeping environment. Fortunately, technological advancements have improved this, and one company that’s made great strides in reinventing the possibilities of memory foam is Nectar.
They believe in what they’ve made so much this bed comes with a 365-night sleep trial period and a forever warranty.
In this Nectar mattress review, we’ll explain what kinds of updates the company has made to this classic material. We’ll walk you through everything from the cooling to the look to how well it isolates motion.
Keep reading for the in-depth information on this product, or go ahead and skip to the end to see our scoring based on what kind of sleeper you are.
- The cover material changed from Tencel™ to polyethylene, which is heat-resistant, odorless, and non-toxic.
- Nectar has modified the weight of each memory foam bed size. They now start at 40 pounds for a Twin up to 84 for a King. The Cali-King is slightly lighter at 83 pounds.
- Nectar also bumped the bed’s height from 11 inches to 12. The height change is reflected in the third and bottom layer, which was six inches and is now seven.
- Lastly, the size of the Nectar Twin and Twin XL models is slightly smaller. These beds had an earlier width of 39 inches and are now 38 inches wide.
Excellent Matches For Nectar
- Memory-Foam Lovers – You love that feeling of a mattress slowly responding to your weight and wrapping around your body, and this brand should deliver that classic feel with some great modern touches.
- Pressure Relief Hunters – The last thing you need in your bed at night is pressure if you have achy joints and stiff muscles. The memory materials here should cradle and balance most folks so that pressure doesn’t build up.
- Value Seekers – Nectar commits to delivering risk-free value for your dollar. They do this by keeping their prices affordable for the quality of materials and extending the sleep trial so you have plenty of time to try it and make sure it’s for you.
Possible Nectar Considerations:
- Little Bounce – If you like a bouncy feel that pushes back on your weight, then memory foam may not be your match. While you shouldn’t feel stuck and most can reposition easily, you won’t have the same springy feel that traditional coil mattresses deliver.
- Some Off-gassing – If you have a sensitive nose, you may smell some off-gassing associated with this product since it’s made primarily of foam and vacuum-sealed in a factory. However, the smell is not harmful and should dissipate after about 24 hours with proper ventilation. However, individuals sensitive to smells should wait at least a day before sleeping on this bed.
Nectar’s memory foam model can hold up to 650 pounds total – or 325 per person for those who sleep with a partner. The mattress provides a substantial amount of support, which should work for the majority of shoppers.
Despite its considerable weight allowance, the Nectar is a medium-firm mattress, and therefore, individuals weighing 300 pounds or more may find that they sink too deep into the layers. Sinking too much can cause these sleepers to feel stuck in the bed and throw off the alignment of their spine. In this case, a firmer mattress or one that is designed for consumers with larger frames will be the better option. Firmer mattresses are particularly valuable if you carry more weight and sleep on your stomach, as this sleep position tends to be complemented by firmer surfaces.
Light-weight and average sleepers, though, should feel a perfect mix of contouring comfort and durable support from this bed.
Awards for Nectar Mattress
Construction: What’s Inside the Nectar?
Nectar’s memory foam mattresses are delivered to your home in a box and wrapped in a bag. The cover is made with polyethylene and a polyester/nylon blend, and it features a circular knit pattern. Additionally, the cover is designed with heat-wicking technology.
The top of the mattress is white, with a dark gray color around the bottom half. Included is the company’s signature logo.
Overall, the bed stands 12 inches tall and is built with the following all-foam layers:
- Below the cover is 3 inches of gel-infused memory foam that is quilted to the cover to provide a plush feel while contouring to your body’s curves. The addition of gel is designed to keep the bed’s temperature regulated, so you avoid overheating during the night.
- Going deeper into the mattress you will find 2 inches of soft conventional foam weighing in at 1.73 pounds. This layer should support the body’s weight and ease the transition from comfort to a supportive base.
- The base layer of the bed is made of 7 inches of standard conventional foam with a density of 1.76 pounds. This bottom layer of the mattress provides support to the body and creates a sturdy and durable foundation for the bed.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
From the box, the mattress takes 24-72 hours to expand and reach its full size. Open the box in a well-ventilated room to help with any initial smells. The mattress is heavy, so you should have at least two people place it onto the bed frame.
As you lie down, the mattress may feel firm at first. After a night or two of use, though, you should notice the foams responding as they begin to cradle your curves more.
To help with your decision, I am sharing my thoughts on how Nectar performed overnight for a week. For reference, I am five feet tall and 107 pounds, and I share a bed with a five feet and six inches tall partner, weighing 150 pounds.
My partner and I felt the Nectar was firmer but still plenty comfortable for sleeping. However, we also agreed it didn’t provide as much cooling as we hoped, though we do live in an exceptionally warm area. This is standard for beds without innersprings, but it’s still something to keep in mind if you don’t have air conditioning.
I found this bed to be very comfortable for multiple sleep positions. I mostly sleep on my stomach but am trying to transition to my back. I’ve noticed it’s been easier to fall asleep on my back with the Nectar.
There was a minimal amount of sinkage along the edges of this bed. Therefore, I was able to sleep comfortably in the center and on the perimeter.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
For those who experience the pain that can build up in their pressure points, the right bed should provide the necessary relief to help alleviate any discomfort. Memory foam, in particular, is a material that is touted for its success when it comes to providing pressure relief, and the Nectar delivers in this area.
The 6.5 firmness score of the Nectar bed places it within the medium-firm range that tends to provide the right amount of pressure-relieving comfort for most individuals. Sleepers should feel the memory foam gently cradle their body for all-over pressure relief and uniform sinkage.
Lightweight sleepers should get the sensation as though they are resting gently on top of a cloud. Those who weigh more may feel slightly more sinkage but not stuck in the bed, which could happen with a more plush model.
A robust support system is essential for maintaining a healthy spine alignment. The bottom two layers are noticeably firmer than the first two, and these form the support system which balances your weight and aligns your spine. When lying on your bed, your spine position should feel neutral, or just as it does when you’re standing up.
The uniform feel of the comfort layer, balanced with this support system, should do a great job at keeping your weight balanced evenly. The firmer foams should be enough to support most body weights, though folks with significant weight concerns (over 250 pounds) may prefer a bed with extra reinforcement.
A mattress with excellent motion isolation is beneficial for couples who don’t want to disturb their parents if they move or get up during the night. The Nectar does well at preventing the transfer of movement from one side of the bed to the other.
Exceptional Edge Support
While you may feel extra sinkage along the perimeter, overall, the Nectar should leave you supported along the edges. Edge support is important for singles who want to spread out across their mattress or couples who need additional room.
Adjustable Base Compatible
If you have your eye on a frame that adjusts, the Nectar mattress should work well with a moveable frame. The company even offers frames designed specifically for their mattress.
This product is CertiPUR-US certified. This certification means the foams are made within safe limits of ozone depleters, formaldehyde, and heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Delivery is free within the contiguous United States, or it can be shipped to Hawaii and Alaska for an additional fee.
- White-Glove Delivery - Optional white-glove delivery and mattress removal are available for an additional charge. The removal of your previous mattress is at the discretion of the provider, though, and may not be available in some areas for safety reasons.
- Trial - Keep this bed for 365 nights risk-free. If you are unsatisfied in any way, you can return it and claim a full refund.
- Warranty - Those who order a Nectar mattress receive a Forever Warranty. However, the deal is only effective for the original purchaser.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 72” x 11”||$798|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$968|
|Full||55” x 74” x 11”||$1,198|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,298|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,598
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,598
Nectar vs. Casper
When determining whether or not you should buy a bed, it’s helpful to see how it compares to direct competitors. So, we will help you see how Nectar stacks up against the competition by comparing this bed to a similar memory foam mattress from a different company.
Like Nectar, Casper is an all-foam mattress that stands 12 inches tall with three layers below the cover. Casper’s top layer is Airscape, a breathable foam designed for cooling. This bed’s second layer features zoned-support memory foam, followed by a durable foam base.
Back sleepers may prefer Casper’s zoned-support foam, which is firmer in the hips, waist, and lower back - areas that carry more weight. The Nectar is slightly firmer than Casper, though, which is rated on our firmness scale at a 6.
Both beds should perform well regarding motion isolation, but the Casper is considered slightly better for cooling than Nectar.
However, Nectar outshines its competitor with its generous trial and warranty period. While Casper provides a 100-night trial and 10-year warranty, Nectar offers shoppers a year-long trial and lifetime warranty.
Nectar is also considered a better choice for folks who weigh more than average.
Sleepers with a yen for that classic, slow-sink into pressure-relieving foams should be delighted with this product from Nectar, which provides a lot of quality for your dollar and includes updates to keep you cool and comfortable.
We gave this bed a score of 5 for side sleepers because the memory foam does an excellent job of contouring so that even when the weight is concentrated in smaller areas such as the hips and shoulders, the sleeper shouldn’t feel any discomfort.
The Nectar also excels at providing comfort and support for back sleeping, which is why it earned a 5/5. The body conformance from the Nectar mattress should feel great for most back sleepers, while the firm support foams keep the spine in a good neutral position.
The Nectar earned an impressive four in this category. While it should work well for most stomach sleepers, individuals who carry significantly more weight may require a model that’s even more firm. The Nectar earned positive marks because it feels slightly more firm and, therefore, should be a great fit for folks who sleep on their stomach.
This bed earns a top score for folks who move between different sleep positions, as it should feel equally comfortable and supportive whether you’re on your side, back, or stomach. Additionally, most combination sleepers should find it easy to reposition on this bed due to the firm support foams.
This bed earned a four for couples, as it does not provide significant bounce, which some sexually active partners may prefer. Further, some couples who sleep hot may also need a cooler model. However, the Nectar earned positive points thanks to its excellent motion isolation and edge support, both of which are ideal for those who share a bed.
This bed received a four because folks with significantly larger frames may prefer a mattress that’s firmer or specially built for heavier sleepers. However, the Nectar did receive positive marks because although it’s a mid-range firmness, its slightly firmer feel means that it should work for a variety of different weights, including those who are heavier than average.
The Nectar scored a 5/5 for light-weight sleepers, thanks to the impressively comfortable foams that should leave lighter individuals nicely hugged by this bed all over. While the support layers provide this bed with slightly more firmness, the contouring memory foam should prevent lightweight folks from feeling like they’re resting on a rock.
For the overall value, the Nectar earned a score of four. We gave this score because hot sleepers and those who prefer more bounce may prefer a hybrid instead of this all-foam bed. However, the Nectar did score well thanks to its ability to perform well for multiple sleep positions and those of different weights.
We recommend the Nectar bed for combination sleepers. Not only is it easy to reposition on this bed, but most sleepers should rest comfortably on their back, side, or stomach.
We also feel this mattress is an excellent match for lightweight individuals. While the denser foams give this bed a slightly firmer feel, the contouring memory materials provide enough softness to still allow the individual to feel gently cradled on the bed.
We would not recommend the Nectar for exceptionally hot sleepers. While the company incorporates gel designed to keep the bed cool, if your primary concern is overheating at night, you’ll probably prefer another brand.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I try the Nectar risk-free?
The Nectar offers one of the best trial periods around, letting customers try out a mattress for an entire year before committing. They encourage their customers to use Nectar mattresses for at least 30 days, as they’ve found it takes your body time to adjust. With such confidence in their product, it lets buyers trial without stress.
Can I finance a Nectar mattress?
Yes, you could qualify to finance a Nectar product with Affirm or Splitit. The company realizes mattresses are significant purchases and wants to provide people of all situations with a comfortable night’s sleep.
How long is Nectar’s warranty?
Nectar is profoundly confident in their product and offers a “forever” warranty. Depending on how long you’ve had the mattress, the company will either replace or repair the bed if there’s a defect.
Is the Nectar firm or soft?
The Nectar is rated at a 6.5 on our firmness scale. Therefore, lightweight and average-size sleepers will likely feel this mattress is slightly firmer for a mid-range bed. However, if you weigh significantly more, the Nectar may feel softer to you.
Is Nectar safe?
Nectar’s mattresses are made with foam certified independently by CertiPUR-US, a third-party global rating standard. This organization certifies products free from known chemicals and gases that could cause harm like flame retardants, heavy metals, phthalates, formaldehyde, and volatile compounds, letting buyers sleep with ease.