Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Have you always wanted to try a memory foam mattress but are worried about finding a balance between comfort and support? Online retailer Nectar strives to incorporate both into their mattress, all while cutting out middlemen and providing their product at an affordable price point (which is one of the reasons this model is in our best overall picks).
The company is driven to help people get their best rest. An impressive 365-day sleep trial and a Forever Warranty means there is virtually no risk in trying out their product and that they stand behind it.
Our in-depth review of the Nectar mattress will expand on the specifics from pressure relief to cooling features – and show why it is such a great overall value!
Read on for our detailed analysis or cut straight to the chase and look at our scoring and summary sections.
Video Review of Nectar's New Bed
You will love Nectar if you:
- Love memory foam – If you prefer feeling like you’re slowly melting into the bed and experiencing a deeper-cradling hug, this mattress has classic features you will enjoy. In addition, Nectar’s design is breathable and helps reduce heat retention, combating the issues of traditional memory materials.
- Need pressure relief – Nectar delivers great pressure relief to your entire body, as well as in the shoulders and hips, where it is needed most. It contours to curves and reduces pressure, which works wonders for people who tend to sleep on their sides.
- Are looking for an exceptional value – There are high-quality materials in this bed at a truly affordable price. The brand even provides a full year in its trial period to see if you feel well rested, which translates into overall peace of mind with the purchase.
You might not like Nectar if you:
- Prefer a traditional innerspring feel – Nectar has crafted their memory foam bed to be supportive and comfortable, however, this mattress does not have the same level of bounce that innerspring beds are known for and will have a different feel from them.
- Have a sensitive nose – Although it should quickly dissipate, there is some noticeable off-gassing, or “new mattress smell” from the materials that are released from this bed when it is first unpacked. This is typical for bed-in-a-box products and will disappear completely in a well-ventilated room within a couple of days.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Nectar’s memory foam bed is delivered to your front door rolled up into a bag with handles for easier transport through your house to the bedroom. If you prefer, the company will also arrange an optional White Glove Delivery service to have your mattress professionally unwrapped and installed.
This mattress is compatible with practically all foundations, including platforms, divans, boxsprings, slatted frames, and adjustable bases. If you choose, you can buy a foundation designed specifically for Nectar through the company’s website, and this foundation is also covered by a Forever Warranty.
The cover is made from durable long-staple cotton and Tencel, an eco-friendly, bed bug resistant fabric that promotes airflow and temperature regulation. It is fully removable, which is great if it needs to be spot cleaned.
Quilted into the cover is a 1-inch layer of breathable gel memory foam that gives the top of the bed a luxuriously plush feel that also works to reduce heat retention. On the underside of the cover, there are small bumps that act like little grips to help prevent the mattress from sliding around on its frame, which is especially nice for adjustable base set-ups.
Overall, the bed is 11 inches thick with the following layers beneath the gel-quilted cover.
- The first layer is 3 inches of Nectar’s LushFoam™, a gel memory foam that contours to your body’s curves. The gel helps keep the temperature of the bed regulated.
- The second layer is 1.5 inches of Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam that has a much quicker response time than previous layers and a firmer feel. It helps to support the body’s weight and eases the transition from the comfort layers to the supportive base.
- The base layer is 5.5 inches of high-density foam, which the company refers to as a High Vegetable Base Super Core. It provides support to the body and creates a sturdy and durable foundation to the mattress.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
On our firmness scale, we scored Nectar a 6 to 6.5 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest. This places it in the versatile medium range that will accommodate a lot of different sleeping needs and preferences.
One of the first things you notice about Nectar is how plush and soft the quilted cover feels while giving you an extra layer of pressure-relieving memory foam. Lying down on the bed, you will feel your entire body slowly sink into the upper layers for a deep hug. These comfort layers are slow responding, unlike the quicker-responding layers at the base.
The bottom two layers are noticeably firmer, and the brand has done a nice job of combining pressure relief and comfort with support. It is also important to note that even lighter parts of the body sink in comfortably, creating a nice uniform feel to lying down.
Though mattresses that cradle your body can sometimes retain heat, Nectar’s cooling features, like the gel and breathable cover, will help keep you from sleeping hot.
As with most memory beds, there is not a deep bounce. Though the foam is slow-responding and there is a deeper hug, you likely will not experience that “trapped feeling.” This can be important if you are a combination sleeper who tends to rotate between sleeping positions or value ease of repositioning.
Overall, the balance of firmness in the foams and cradling pressure relief will suit a range of different sleeping preferences and needs.
Back sleepers will appreciate this bed’s supportive contouring in their lumbar region while the high-density base foam works to keep their spine in alignment.
Side sleepers will benefit from the uniform pressure relief. Stress that side sleepers often experience because their weight is concentrated on a smaller surface area should be comfortably relieved in this mattress.
Most stomach sleepers will notice how this bed cradles their hips without letting them dip too deep, which is often a source of back pain for stomach sleepers who do not have adequate support. That said, significantly heavier people might want to look at a firmer option to ensure they have enough support.
Memory foam really shines in the motion transfer category because it has minimal bounce and tends to absorb movement without letting it travel across the bed. This is advantageous for couples who sleep light and want to be able to move around in bed without disturbing their partners.
The Nectar excels in the motion transfer category, as expected from the materials used in its construction!
Edge support is something you may want to consider if you sleep with a partner and need to occupy a greater surface area. Edge support while lying or sitting on the edge can be important to some people, but not to all.
Bed-in-a-box models don’t tend to have edge support as their strong suit, and Nectar is pleasantly surprising when lying down on the edge. It feels supportive and not at all like you will roll out of the bed. However, when sitting on the edge with weight even more concentrated in a smaller space, there is some compression.
- Trial Period – The company offers an impressive 365-night trial period for you to decide if you want to keep it. This is a risk-free trial, so if you are unsatisfied in any way, you can return it and claim a full refund.
- Warranty – Those who order Nectar receive a Forever Warranty.
- Shipping – Nectar ships for free within the continental USA or to Hawaii, Alaska, or other U.S. Territories, excluding Puerto Rico, for an additional fee.
- Optional White Glove Delivery Service – For an additional fee, the company will arrange for professional installation of your new mattress and will remove your old one.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – These certified foams are made within safe limits of ozone depleters, formaldehyde, and heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
- OEKO-TEX® Certified – The cover is certified by an independent textile testing system that evaluates fabrics at several processing points and rigorously checks for levels harmful chemicals, even those not legally regulated.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 72” x 11”||$524|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$594|
|Full||55” x 74” x 11”||$724|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$824|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1024
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1024
It’s hard to beat such high-quality materials, affordability, and a 365-day sleep trial, which is why it is an amazing overall value.
Nectar represents an exceptional value in the bed-in-a-box marketplace. Quality construction and materials work together to provide comfort and support, as well a cozy uniform feel.
Its competitive pricing is far less than comparable in-store memory brands, and there is a generous trial period that gives each individual or couple a full year to try it, with the guarantee of a full refund if it does not work out.
If you’ve always wanted to try memory foam or already know that you love it, this is a great bed to dive into.
If you're looking for even more information on top-rated beds, click here.
Author: Jill Thompson
I've been self-employed for almost four years and I would not change it for anything! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals with the right attitude and determination.
I'm an avid traveler (25+ countries and counting) that loves to meet new people doing amazing things.
When I'm not researching for the Sleep Advisor, you can find me reading, running, traveling, golfing, or meditating.
I wish you the very best on your journey!