Memory foam has a bad reputation for creating an overly warm sleeping environment, as well as coming at a high cost. Fortunately, there has been evolutions in the technology and Nectar has reinvented what memory foam mattresses can provide.
They believe in what they’ve made so much this brand comes with a 365-day sleep trial period and a forever warranty. But you don’t have to take their word for it.
In this Nectar mattress review, we’ll explain what kind of updates this company has made to this classic material. We’ll walk you through the cooling, the look, and how well it isolates motion when your partner is getting up to use the bathroom. (Spoiler: really well!)
Keep reading for all the in-depth information we could find, or go ahead and skip to the end to see our scoring based on what kind of sleeper you are.
Who Do We Think Matches With Nectar?
- Memory-foam Lovers – We see you. You love that feeling of a mattress slowly responding to your weight and wrapping around your body for in-the-bed comfort, and this brand should deliver that classic feel with a few great modern touches.
- Pressure Relief Hunters – If you’ve got achy joints and stiff muscles, the last thing you need in your bed at night is pressure. The memory materials here should cradle and balance most folks so that pressure doesn’t build up.
- Value Seekers – Nectar commits their company to delivering risk-free value for your dollar, and they do that by keeping the prices affordable for the quality of materials and extending the sleep trial so you have plenty of time to try it to make sure it’s for you.
Possible Nectar Complaints:
- Little Bounce – If you like a bouncy feel that pushes back on your weight, then memory foam may not be your match. However, you shouldn’t feel stuck in the mud and most can reposition easily, but you won’t have the same springy feel that traditional coil mattresses deliver.
- Some Off-gassing – If you have a particularly sensitive nose, you may smell some off-gassing (“new car smell”) associated with this product since its made primarily of foam and is vacuum-sealed in a factory. This smell should dissipate completely in a few days with proper ventilation, and those with concerns should make plans to wait a few nights before test driving this brand.
Awards for the Nectar Mattress
- Best Mattress
- Best Mattress Under $1000
- Best Mail Order Mattresses
- Best King Size Mattress
- Best Mattress for Allergies
- Best Mattress for Sciatica Pain
- Best Mattresses for Sex
- Best Mattresses for Back Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Couples
- Best Mattress for Platform Bed
- Best Mattress for Combination Sleepers
- Best Mattresses for Adjustable Beds
- Best Mattresses for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Budget Mattress
- Best Firm Mattresses
- Best Queen Mattress
- Best Mattresses for Side Sleepers
- Best Bed in a Box
- Best Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Online Mattress
- Best Twin Mattresses
- Best Mattress for Pregnancy
- Best Mattress for Spinal Stenosis
- Best Mattresses for Insomnia
- Best Mattress for Light Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Restless Leg Syndrome
- Best California King Mattress
- Best Mattresses for Osteoporosis
- Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Best Mattress for Guest Room
- Best Twin XL Mattresses
Construction: What Is It Made From?
Nectar’s memory foam mattresses are delivered wrapped into a bag with handles. Its cover is made from long-staple cotton and Tencel, an eco-friendly, bed-bug resistant fabric that promotes airflow and temperature regulation. It is fully removable, which makes spot cleaning a bit more convenient.
Quilted to the cover is a 1-inch layer of breathable gel infused memory foam that gives the top of the mattress a luxuriously plush feel that also works to reduce heat retention. On the underside of the cover, there are small bumps that grip the frame and hold the bed in place.
Overall, the bed stands 11 inches tall and is built with the following layers:
- The first layer is 3 inches of Nectar’s LushFoam™, a gel infused memory foam that contours to your body’s curves. The layer of gel helps keep the temperature of the bed regulated.
- The second layer is 1.5 inches of Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam that has a much quicker response time than previous layers and a firmer feel. It helps to support the body’s weight and eases the transition from the comfort layers to the supportive base.
- The base layer is 5.5 inches of high-density foam, which the company refers to as a High Vegetable Base Super Core. It provides support to the body and creates a sturdy and durable foundation for the mattress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Straight out of the box, Nectar mattress takes a few hours to completely expand and reach its full height. You should open the box in a well-ventilated room and give it time to breathe before dressing it with sheets and blankets.
The outside has a classic sporty look with grey side panels and a white quilted top. Pressing into it with your fingers, you should see your handprints left behind for a few seconds before the material returns to its original shape.
Lying down, it’s normal that the mattress may feel firm to you at first as the memory foam activates under your weight and to the heat of your body. (Note also that room temperature can sometimes play a role in how memory foam responds. Hotter room means softer foam and vice versa.)
After a few seconds, the foams respond to you to cradle and evenly balance your frame in a deeper hug within the mattress.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
The firmness score of this bed places it within the medium-firm range that tends to provide the right amount of comfort for most sleepers. Even lightweight sleepers should feel that their bodies are nicely cradled within the foams for an all-over pressure relief and uniform sinkage.
Since the foams conform almost exactly to your shape, there should be no gaps between your body and the bed, which can cause weight to put more pressure on curves (especially hips and shoulders). The foams here battle gravity to give you a more weightless, floating feel.
We’d definitely characterize the sinkage as a “deep hug” in this mattress, which is great for people who like to sleep more “in-the-bed.” However, the foams are responsive enough to allow for easy changes between positions, though the brand does not have a lot of bounce.
The bottom two layers are noticeably firmer than the first two, and these form the support system which balances your weight and aligns your spine. When lying down on your bed, your spine position should feel neutral, or just as it does when you’re standing up.
The more uniform feel to the comfort materials, balanced with this support system should do a great job at keeping your weight balanced evenly. The firmer support foams should be enough to cradle most body weights, though folks with significant weight concerns (over 250 pounds) may prefer a bed with extra reinforcement.
This product was designed to pack into a smaller shipping container, which cuts down on shipping costs for the customer and the company and adds convenience, as the product can be delivered by traditional methods and left outside your door.
Gel-Foam for Cooling
The gels in this Nectar memory foam mattress are treated and infused with gel, which counteracts memory foam’s tendency to retain heat due to slower airflow. Because gel conducts heat more efficiently, it can travel quickly through the mattress so it isn’t pooled up against your sleeping body. Check out our best cooling mattresses for more picks.
Great Motion Isolation
Nectar’s motion isolation should impress even the lightest sleepers. The all-foam construction captures weight and absorbs vibration so that movements do not travel from one end of the bed to another to wake a sleeping partner. If you sleep with children, a partner, or a large pet, this can be a really great feature.
Good Edge Support
Bed in a box choices don’t always excel here since they are made from foams that can be compressed into smaller shipping containers. But Nectar mattress is a pleasant surprise and edge-to-edge support should feel consistent, which is great for singles who want to spread out or couples who need more usable space.
Adjustable Base Compatible
If you have your eye on a frame that adjusts, Nectar mattress works really well adapting to a moveable frame. The company even offers its own frames designed specifically for their mattress.
These certified foams are made within safe limits of ozone depleters, formaldehyde, and heavy metals such as mercury and lead.
The cover is certified by an independent textile testing system called Okeo-Tex that evaluates fabrics at several processing points and rigorously checks for levels of harmful materials, even those not legally regulated.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Delivery is free within the contiguous United States, or to Hawaii and Alaska or other US Territories (excluding Puerto Rico), for an additional fee.
- Optional White-Glove Delivery - If you’d prefer not to set up the bed yourself, the company will arrange for professional installation of your new mattress and will remove your old one.
- Trial - Keep this bed for 365 nights risk-free. If you are unsatisfied in any way, you can return it and claim a full refund.
- Warranty - Those who order Nectar mattress receive a Forever Warranty, though this can not be transferred between owners. It is only effective for the original purchaser.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 72” x 11”||$499|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$569|
|Full||55” x 74” x 11”||$699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$799|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$999 |
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$999 |
Those sleepers with a yen for that classic, slow-sink into pressure-relieving foams should be delighted with this product from Nectar, which provides a lot of quality for your dollar and includes updates to keep you cool and comfortable.
Pressure relief is a chief concern amongst this population because weight can pool uncomfortably on a smaller surface area in this position, especially in the hips and shoulders. If you’re curvier or have broad shoulders, this can be a real concern when choosing a side-sleeping mattress. Nectar mattress should deliver what sleepers require from their mattress to keep them balanced and comfortable from head to toe in this position.
Back sleepers need to be on the spy for good lumbar support so that gaps between their upper back and backside don’t create strain in their lower back. The body conformance Nectar mattress delivers should feel great for most back sleepers, while the firm support foams keep the spine in a good neutral position.
People who sleep in the prone position need to be very careful to ensure head to toe balance and alignment because any extra weight in the middle can cause the hips to dip, pushing the body out of alignment. This bed does provide balanced support for a majority of stomach sleepers, but those with heavier hips may want something with zoning or a bolstered support system.
Memory foam can be a difficult choice for combo sleepers, simply because of the slow responding materials can make it harder to reposition. Most combo sleepers shouldn’t struggle here, and most will be pleasantly surprised on how easy it is to reposition on this bed, due in large part to the firm support foams. Paired with the bed’s versatility, this should be a great choice for combo sleepers, though folks with mobility issues might want a touch more responsiveness.
This bed ticks a lot of the boxes that couples are looking for when they’re trying to pick a bed that matches different tastes and needs. If both of you are on board with memory foam, this is a great versatile pick that works for various body types and shapes (from light to a bit larger) while delivering exceptional motion isolation and good edge support. Light sleepers shouldn’t be disturbed by their partner’s movements and couples should be able to stretch out on their Nectar mattress from edge to edge, though sleeping directly on the razor edge may not be advisable.
A bed in this firmness range should work for a variety of different weights, including those who are heavier than average. The foams should cradle and transition into the support layers easily and comfortably, though folks with significantly larger frames may want to consider a bed with extra support built into its foundation.
Folks who are lighter than average can often experience bed as firmer than an average sleeper would and struggle to find a bed that can cradle their lighter bodies and allow for sinkage and body conformance necessary for pressure relief. Because of the multiple layers of comfort foam, even lightweight sleepers should feel hugged by this bed all over.
We think Nectar mattress represents a fantastic value in this market due to its quality and affordable pricing. Resident is committed to keeping prices down for all their direct-to-consumer goods, and those wanting a memory bed with updated cooling technology and quality quilted cover will be hard-pressed to find a better value, either in stores or online.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I try the Nectar risk-free?
The Nectar offers one of the best trial periods around, letting customers try out a mattress for a full year before committing. They encourage their customers to use Nectar mattresses for at least 30 days, as they’ve found it takes your body time to adjust. With such confidence in their product, it lets buyers trial without stress.
Can I finance a Nectar mattress?
Yes, you could qualify to finance a Nectar product with Affirm or Splitit. The company realizes mattresses are significant purchases and wants to provide people of all situations with a comfortable night’s sleep.
How long is Nectar’s warranty?
Nectar is profoundly confident in their product and offers a “forever” warranty. Depending on how long you have owned your mattress, if your product experiences a defect, they will either replace or repair the bed. They believe the Nectar is the only mattress you’ll ever need— a pretty bold statement.
Is the Nectar firm or soft?
Nectar boasts their mattress’ comfort by proclaiming it hits the “mattress sweet spot,” at around a 6.5, or medium-firm, on their firmness scale. It’s made with Tencel, a fiber created with the wood pulp from trees, and combined with its breathable foam, this creates a product that distributes weight evenly and contours with ease to relieve pressure.
Is Nectar safe?
Nectar’s mattresses are made with foam that is certified independently by CertiPUR-US, which is a third party global rating standard. This organization certifies products that are free from known chemicals and gases that could cause harm like flame retardants, heavy metals, phthalates, formaldehyde, and volatile compounds, letting buyers sleep with ease.