Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
There’s a lot of new bedding innovations out there, but classics are classics for a reason. If you’re in the market for a more traditional innerspring feel with a few modern touches, Saatva might be the right mattress for you.
This bed is advertised as a luxury mattress with an affordable price tag, and it’s got a convenient online sales model to boot. We’ll discuss below if it holds up to the claims of luxury and all the details you need to know before purchasing this mattress.
Our Saatva mattress review will investigate all these questions, focusing on the most versatile Luxury Firm. (It also comes in Firm, Plush Soft, and HD.) Of course, if you want to cut to the chase, you’re welcome to jump down to our conclusion.
Who Do We Think Matches With Saatva?
- Classic Innerspring Sleepers – This bed has not only one, but two innerspring units that make up its construction, taking advantage of both connected and individually wrapped coils to provide an updated take on a classic feel.
- Affordable Luxury Shoppers – This brand aims to prove that luxury doesn’t have to come from a store, and their line of mattresses was designed to impress with tall silhouettes, classy looks, and durable constructions — all without breaking the bank.
- Heavier Folks – The Saatva classic has a lot of great support ideal for sleepers looking for a more robust bed, and the company’s recently introduced an HD model designed specifically for plus size sleepers over 300 pounds.
Possible Saatva Complaints:
- It doesn’t come in a box. – If the main reason you’re shopping for mattresses on the internet is that you need a brand compressed into an easy to transport box, this might not be your brand. However, this mattress comes with free white glove delivery, so you can still leave the heavy lifting to the professionals.
- The foundation coils are connected. – There’s a lot to love about individually wrapped coils, and the bed’s first innerspring layer does have these motion-isolating, modern construction for more tailored support. By using connected coils in the foundation, the company claims to improve durability.
Saatva gets its name from the ancient Sanskrit word for “pure,” and this company, launched in 2011, was one among the original online mattress companies. Their aim was to provide a more eco-conscious line of mattresses that had a luxury feel that didn’t wreck your budget.
To round out their line, the company also offers a memory foam bed called Loom & Leaf and a dual-sided latex choice called Zenhaven. All three brands are built to be compatible with the company’s adjustable frame, on which they co-collaborated with industry mainstay, Leggett and Platt. In 2019, the brand introduced an HD version of their classic innerspring for heavier sleepers, as well as an adjustable mattress called the Solaire.
Construction: What’s Inside Saatva?
All Classic Saatvas, available 11.5 inches tall or 14.5 inches tall, are covered with natural cotton that is naturally breathable. It is stitched to 1.25 inch layer of foam to form the bed’s Euro-style pillow top, which aids pressure relief. The fabric is treated to give it anti-microbial properties.
- Below the pillow top, on the center third of the mattress, a unique lumbar area has been created with memory foam. It has a noticeably different feel from the rest of the mattress and was designed to relieve back tension.
- Going deeper, the first layer of coils is revealed under foam transition layer. Under the lumbar panel, zoning in the coils boosts support in the central third of the mattress. This layer and the layer beneath it are made from recycled steel.
- The lower layer connected coils are 7-inch steel hourglass-shaped support coils. They help prevent sagging and provide support. In addition, the coil-on-coil design helps with air circulation and gives the bed a good amount of bounce.
- The edges are encased in a sturdy, thick foam (which is also found on its base) to deliver enhanced edge support and make every inch of the surface usable.
Saatva comes in two different heights, which will affect some layers, but not their number or contents. The HD model swaps out the first layer of coils for 5-zoned Talalay latex foam and contouring memory foam.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Saatva is delivered full-size so there’s no waiting period common to online mattresses delivered in smaller boxes. It can be dressed immediately. The stitching looks expensive and tugging on it reveals its long-term durability.
Settling into the bed, you should feel contouring in your lumbar from the memory foam, while the plush Eurotop relieves pressure on your shoulders. Saatva’s dual coil system gives the sleeper a springy experience, covered in plush luxury.
Firmness Scale: 4/10 (Plush Soft), 6.5/10 (Luxury Firm), 8 (Firm)
When lying on the floor, you can quickly discover where your pressure points will be. Anywhere excess weight is pooled can create pressure, especially when you’re sleeping on your side and all of your weight is settled on a more narrow surface area.
Saatva’s approach to pressure relief lies primarily in the 1.25-inch highly responsive Eurotop and the individually wrapped coils that can contour to your shape. The plush foam should relieve pressure on the shoulders, while the extra boost of support in the mattress’ center is tempered by lumbar contouring by the memory foam layer.
Those shopping for extra pressure relief may find they are better suited by the Plush Soft version that will provide extra cushion to help relieve sore joints or accommodate curvier body shapes.
The foam’s responsiveness should aid repositioning and mobility.
Saatva excels in the support department with two separate support systems made out of recycled coils. The first set contours to your shape for a more tailored spine alignment experience, while the foundation’s connected hour-glass coils provide a robust base meant to reduce the chance of sagging.
The design was engineered to promote durability and long-term use, helping to ensure that the support remains constant over time. This support system can accommodate a wide variety of sleepers, though significantly heavier sleepers (over 300 pounds) may be best served by the HD model, which was engineered specifically for larger bodies.
Multiple Firmness Options
By providing Luxury Firm, Firm, and Plush Soft, as well as an HD version, Saatva hopes to help people find their perfect match tailored specifically to their pressure relief and support needs.
Free White Glove Delivery
There’s no unboxing process or waiting period to air out Saatva, and you can throw sheets on it and go to sleep as soon as the delivery men leave your house, if you want. The free white glove delivery is definitely a unique feature of this brand.
This innerspring’s Eurotop adds an extra touch of pressure relief that traditional innerspring beds lack. By providing some extra cushion, they give the mattress a more luxurious feel and help soothe pressure points.
Innerspring brands allow for natural air circulation which helps hot air to escape the bed and cooler air to circulate through. Innerspring mattresses are amongst the coolest on the market for this reason.
Exceptional Edge Support
By including foam rails around the bed’s perimeter, this brand helps to maximize the amount of surface area the mattress offers by providing edge-to-edge consistent support. By using a softer foam, the edges shouldn’t have a harsh feel of stiff wire.
People who change positions a lot or struggle with mobility typically prefer beds with a bit of “push back” or bounce that assists movement. Sexually active couples also benefit from this feature.
If you’re hoping to go a little bit greener with your mattress choice, this brand offers natural cotton and upcycled steel in its construction that help reduce the company’s carbon footprint.
Adjustable Base Compatible
If you want to use an adjustable base, the company recommends you buy the 11.5-inch Saatva rather than the 14.5-inch choice.
Handcrafted in the USA
This certification means that the company remains within strict guidelines to ensure the safety of this product and the limitation of off-gassing, VOCs and other harsh chemicals common to polyurethane foams.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the United States.
- White-Glove Delivery - Professional installation is included within the price and will be arranged at your time of purchase. No heavy lifting!
- Trial - You can keep this product for 180 nights to make sure it’s your dream mattress, and if it isn’t, the company will refund your money.
- Warranty - There is a warranty on this brand good for 15 years.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14.5”||$799|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14.5”||$999|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14.5”||$1,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14.5”||$1,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 14.5”||$1,799|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14.5”||$1,799|
|Split King (combined)||76" x 80" x 14.5"||$1,999|
Saatva is a luxury mattress at an affordable price, and we think the firmness options will help nearly all innerspring lovers find their perfect fit.
Side sleepers should benefit from the cushion of the EuroTop and the individually wrapped coils that can contour to the curves of their waist and hips to soothe pressure points, while still providing plenty of spine-alignment and support. Those who want extra plushness should opt for the Plush Soft version of this mattress.
This bed truly excels for sleepers in this position because of the care that went into providing lumbar support and contouring with a memory foam panel. Most back sleepers should be well-served by this mattress, though back sleepers who prefer extra firm mattresses may want to select the Firm choice.
Stomach sleepers must watch out for spine alignment because the hips (which typically carry our extra weight) tend to dip in this position, which can mess with proper sleep posture. Because of zoning in the center of the bed, most stomach sleepers should maintain excellent alignment with this mattress.
This bed goes a long way towards providing specific feels that suit individual preferences. This brand still remains quite versatile, especially if you select the Luxury Firm. The Firm may not be ideal for curvy side sleepers, and the Plush Soft is not recommended for most folks resting on their stomachs.
Repositioning, also a concern for combo sleepers, should be very simple on this mattress because of the amount of bounce coming from both coil units and the responsiveness of the foam.
Couples looking for versatility should steer towards the Luxury Firm to maximize the chances that both sleeping partners are accommodated in their preferred position. While the motion transfer might be slightly higher than in the all-foam Loom & Leaf, the individually wrapped coils and Eurotop should minimize vibrations that might disrupt sleep.
Significantly heavier folks can sometimes struggle to find a mattress that can accommodate their weight without feeling like they’re sleeping on pressure-inducing concrete. The diversity of the support systems and EuroTop helps to ensure a closer match for people in most weight classes while still blending good pressure relief with enhanced support. The HD, with its zoned latex, is highly recommended for folks over 300 pounds.
Lighter than average sleepers may feel that most of these models (the HD, Luxury Firm, and Firm) are much too hard to accommodate them, especially if they are side sleepers. Their weight might not be enough to truly activate the coil layers and experience the full potential of the product. For exceptionally light folks sleeping on their sides, we recommend the Plush Soft.
Saatva packs a lot of value into their beds, and their durability promises a return on your investment. Similar beds in retail stores can cost thousands in comparison to what Saatva offers for much less, and you still are getting a luxurious feel and free professional delivery.