Many new bedding innovations have cropped up in recent years, but classics are beloved for a reason. If you’re in the market for a traditional innerspring feel with a few modern touches, Saatva might be the right mattress for you.
The Saatva offers a luxury mattress with an affordable price tag, and it’s got a convenient online sales model to boot. We’ll discuss if it holds up to the claims of luxury and all the details you need to know before purchasing this mattress.
Our Saatva mattress review will investigate all these questions, focusing on the most versatile Luxury Firm. (It also comes in Firm, Plush Soft, and HD.) Of course, if you want to cut to the chase, you’re welcome to jump down to our conclusion.
Excellent Matches For Saatva:
- Classic Innerspring Sleepers – This bed has not only one, but two innerspring units that make up its construction, taking advantage of both connected and individually wrapped coils to provide an updated take on a classic feel.
- Affordable Luxury Shoppers – This brand aims to prove that luxury doesn’t have to come from a store, and their line of mattresses was designed to impress with tall silhouettes, classy looks, and durable constructions—all without breaking the bank.
- Heavier Folks -The Saatva classic has a lot of great support ideal for sleepers looking for a more robust bed, and the company’s recently introduced an HD model designed specifically for plus-size sleepers over 300 pounds.
Possible Saatva Considerations:
- It doesn’t come in a box. – If the main reason you’re shopping for mattresses on the internet is that you need a brand compressed into an easy-to-transport box, this might not be your brand. However, this mattress comes with free white glove delivery, so you can still leave the heavy lifting to the professionals.
- The foundation coils are connected. – There’s a lot to love about individually wrapped coils, and the bed’s first innerspring layer does have these motion-isolating, modern construction for more tailored support. By using connected coils in the foundation, the company claims to improve durability.
Awards for Saatva Mattress
- Best Mail Order Mattresses
- Best King Size Mattress
- Best Mattress for Sex
- Best Innerspring Mattresses
- Best Mattress for Back Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Couples
- Best Mattresses for Platform Bed
- Best Mattress in Canada
- Best Pillow Top Mattresses
- Best Cooling Mattress
- Best Mattresses for Adjustable Beds
Construction: What’s Inside Saatva?
All Classic Saatvas, available 11.5 inches tall or 14.5 inches tall, are covered with natural cotton that is breathable and hypoallergenic. It is stitched to a 3-inch layer of foam to form the bed’s Euro-style pillow top. The fabric is also treated with Guardin, which provides the bed with anti-microbial properties.
- Below the pillow top, on the center of the mattress, a unique lumbar area has been created with a memory foam. It has a noticeably different feel from the rest of the mattress and was designed to relieve back tension.
- Going deeper, the first layer of coils is under the memory foam layer. Coils conform to your body and reduce motion transfer. This coil layer and the layer beneath it are made from recycled steel.
- The lower layer connected coils help prevent sagging and provide durability. In addition, the coil-on-coil design helps with air circulation and gives the bed a good amount of bounce. There are two options of coil height, depending on the bed height you choose.
- The edges are encased in a sturdy, thick foam to deliver enhanced edge support and make every inch of the surface usable.
The two different heights will only affect the thickness of the bottom coil unit, but not the amount of layers or contents. The HD model swaps out the first layer of coils for 5-zoned Talalay latex foam and contouring memory foam.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Saatva is delivered full-size so there’s no waiting period common to online mattresses delivered in smaller boxes. It can be dressed immediately. The stitching looks expensive and tugging on it reveals its long-term durability.
Settling into the bed, you should feel contouring in your lumbar from the memory foam, while the plush Eurotop relieves pressure on your shoulders. Saatva’s dual coil system gives the sleeper a springy experience, covered in plush luxury.
Firmness Scale: 4/10 (Plush Soft), 6.5/10 (Luxury Firm), 8 (Firm)
When lying on the floor, you can quickly discover where your pressure points will be. Anywhere excess weight is pooled can create pressure, especially when you’re sleeping on your side and all of your weight is settled on a more narrow surface area.
Saatva’s approach to pressure relief lies primarily in the 3-inch highly responsive Eurotop and the individually wrapped coils that can contour to your shape for a gentle cradle. The plush foam should relieve pressure on the shoulders, while the extra boost of support in the mattress’s center is tempered by lumbar contouring by the memory foam layer.
Those shopping for extra pressure relief may find they are better suited by the Plush Soft version that will provide extra cushion to help relieve sore joints or accommodate curvier body shapes.
The foam’s responsiveness should aid repositioning and mobility.
Saatva excels in the support department with two separate support systems made out of recycled coils. The first set contours to your shape for a more tailored spine alignment experience, while the foundation’s connected hour-glass coils provide a robust base meant to reduce the chance of sagging.
The design was engineered to promote durability and long-term use, helping to ensure that the support remains constant over time. This support system can accommodate a wide variety of sleepers, though significantly heavier sleepers (over 300 pounds) may be best served by the HD model, which was engineered specifically for larger bodies.
Multiple Firmness Options
By providing Luxury Firm, Firm, and Plush Soft, as well as an HD version, Saatva hopes to help people find their perfect match tailored specifically to their pressure relief and support needs.
Free White Glove Delivery
There’s no unboxing process or waiting period to air out Saatva, and you can throw sheets on it and go to sleep as soon as the delivery men leave your house, if you want. The free white glove delivery is definitely a unique feature of this brand.
This innerspring’s Eurotop adds an extra touch of pressure relief that traditional innerspring beds lack. By providing some extra cushion, they give the mattress a more luxurious feel and help soothe pressure points.
Innerspring brands allow for natural air circulation which helps hot air to escape the bed and cooler air to circulate through. Innerspring mattresses are amongst the coolest on the market for this reason.
Exceptional Edge Support
By including foam rails around the bed’s perimeter, this brand helps to maximize the amount of surface area the mattress offers by providing edge-to-edge consistent support. By using a softer foam, the edges shouldn’t have a harsh feel of stiff wire.
People who change positions a lot or struggle with mobility typically prefer beds with a bit of “push back” or bounce that assists movement. Sexually active couples also benefit from this feature.
If you’re hoping to go a little bit greener with your mattress choice, this brand offers natural cotton and upcycled steel in its construction that help reduce the company’s carbon footprint.
Adjustable Base Compatible
If you want to use an adjustable base, the company recommends you buy the 11.5-inch Saatva rather than the 14.5-inch choice.
Handcrafted in the USA
- Eco-Friendly Certifications - This bed is CertiPUR-US certified. This certification means that the company remains within strict guidelines to ensure the safety of this product and the limitation of off-gassing, VOCs and other harsh chemicals common to polyurethane foams.
- Certified Natural Materials - Cotton in the cover is GOTS-certified, which means the cotton meets the international third-party standard to be certified organic.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the continental United States. Shipping to Alaska or Hawaii can be arranged by calling the company to help set up a delivery.
- White-Glove Delivery - Professional installation is included within the price and will be arranged at your time of purchase. No heavy lifting! They can also remove your old mattress if you select that option at checkout on their website.
- Trial - You can keep this product for 180 nights to make sure it’s your dream mattress, and if it isn’t, the company will refund your money.
- Warranty - There is a warranty on this brand good for 15 years.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11.5"/14.5”||$849|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11.5"/14.5”||$1,049|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11.5"/14.5”||$1,399|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11.5"/14.5”||$1,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 11.5"/14.5”||$1,899|
|Split King||76" x 80" x 11.5"/14.5”||$2,098|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11.5"/14.5”||$1,899|
|Split Cali King||72” x 84” x 11.5"||$2,099|
Saatva is a luxury mattress at an affordable price, and we think the firmness options will help nearly all innerspring lovers find their perfect fit.
Side sleepers should benefit from the cushion of the EuroTop and the individually wrapped coils that can contour to the curves of their waist and hips to soothe pressure points, while still providing plenty of spine-alignment and support. Those who want extra plushness should opt for the Plush Soft version of this mattress.
This bed truly excels for sleepers in this position because of the care that went into providing lumbar support and contouring with a memory foam panel. Most back sleepers should be well-served by this mattress, though back sleepers who prefer extra firm mattresses may want to select the Firm choice.
Stomach sleepers must watch out for spine alignment because the hips (which typically carry our extra weight) tend to dip in this position, which can mess with proper sleep posture. Because of zoning in the center of the bed, most stomach sleepers should maintain excellent alignment with this mattress.
This brand remains versatile, especially if you select the Luxury Firm. The Firm may not be ideal for curvy side sleepers, and the Plush Soft is not recommended for most folks resting on their stomachs.
Repositioning, also a concern for combo sleepers, should be simple because of the amount of bounce from both coil units and the foam’s responsiveness.
Couples looking for versatility should steer towards the Luxury Firm to maximize the chances that both sleeping partners are accommodated in their preferred position. While the motion transfer might be slightly higher than in the all-foam Loom & Leaf, the individually wrapped coils and Eurotop should minimize vibrations that might disrupt sleep.
Heavier folks can struggle to find a mattress to accommodate their weight without feeling like they’re sleeping on concrete. The diversity of the support systems and EuroTop helps to ensure a closer match for people in most weight classes while still blending pressure relief with enhanced support. The HD, with zoned latex, is highly recommended for folks over 300 pounds.
Lighter than average sleepers may feel that most of these models (the HD, Luxury Firm, and Firm) are much too hard to accommodate them, especially if they are side sleepers. Their weight might not be enough to truly activate the coil layers and experience the full potential of the product. For exceptionally light folks sleeping on their sides, we recommend the Plush Soft.
Saatva packs a lot of value into their beds, and their durability promises a return on your investment. Similar beds in retail stores can cost thousands in comparison to what Saatva offers for much less, and you still are getting a luxurious feel and free professional delivery.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I try it out risk-free?
Saatva allows you to try out their mattress for 180 nights before deciding whether or not you’d like to keep it. That’s about six full months— half a year— to figure out if it’s the right one. If you’re not completely happy with your purchase, they’ll even pick it up for free, minimizing stress and elevating confidence.
Can I finance it?
Yes, you can finance the Saatva through Klarna, which is a global payment solutions company. Saatva offers 0% APR for six full months if paid in full by this time. Saatva realizes that not everyone comes from the same financial situation and believes everyone should have access to a regular comfortable night of sleep.
What is the difference between Saatva’s 11.5-inch high mattress and the 14.5-inch model?
Saatva company offers two heights purely for aesthetic purposes. Some headboards may not be high enough to suit a thicker mattress, so they offer a slimmer version. Additionally, some people may prefer a slimmer look, and some may choose something that looks thicker and softer, even though both models provide the same relief. The feel of the mattress should still be the same.
Is the Saatva made from natural materials?
Saatva company takes a green initiative, meaning their foams are eco-friendly and created with at least 30% corn or soy oil. Further, they utilize a plant-based natural thistle, recycled steel, and wrap it in an organic cotton outer cover.
How long will a Saatva mattress last?
We haven’t been able to test the longevity of the Saatva mattress, but we do quite a bit of research on each product and we think it should last anywhere from 7 to 10 years, possibly more. Saatva offers a warranty of up to 15 years, so if you buy the product and it becomes defective before this time they will repair it for you. If the mattress becomes defective within the first two years of purchase, they’ll replace the entire product completely free.