Have you dreamt of purchasing a luxury mattress at a fraction of the cost of in-store models?
If the answer is yes, Saatva’s premium beds can make your dreams a reality. The company’s direct-to-consumer model allows them to deliver an exceptional product for less than half the price of similar beds.
Saatva has retailed their innerspring mattresses online since 2010. In addition to their innerspring model, the company sells latex mattresses under the Zenhaven brand and memory foams as Loom & Leaf.
During this Saatva mattress review, we will focus on their flagship Luxury Firm innerspring model and why exactly it ended up being one of our favorite mattress brands (see the full list here).
While the company offers three firmness levels, including Saatva Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm, Luxury Firm is their best-selling product and has a medium-level firmness that will please sleepers of almost any position.
Read our full breakdown below or check out the summary here.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Want a classic innerspring feel – With more bounce and airflow than other online brands, you will enjoy a traditional feel that is enhanced with lumbar support. In addition, you will sleep on top of instead of deep in it.
- Worry about harmful chemicals – Saatva is CertiPUR-US® Certified and incorporates environmentally friendly materials and organic cotton in their design. The dual layer of springs removes the threats associated with typical all-foam brands.
- Want quality construction – With strong stitching and materials, you will enjoy it for years to come.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Like the feel of memory foam – While there is a pillow top, responsiveness is quick and you will not have the sensation of slowly melting into the bed.
- Want a bed-in-a-box – Saatva is not compressed and shipped in a box delivered to your doorstep, which means you will need to block out a small window of time for their white glove delivery service to arrive. However, the edge strength gained from Saatva’s innerspring model is not often found in compressed boxed models and a big perk to consider when ordering.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Saatva is an innerspring mattress that uses foam to enhance its design.
It is available in a 14.5-inch Premier Luxury or 11.5-inch Custom Slim height. Both options offer the same feel. The Custom Slim size can take advantage of adjustable bases, which the company has available for sale on their website.
The non-removable cover is made of organic cotton and hypoallergenic fibers. A pronounced design in the quilting gets tighter in the lumbar region to provide more support. The top is soft and plush to the touch.
Overall, the construction is highly durable. When pulling at the bed, the stitches stay strong and intact.
At its core, there are multiple layers that help this brand stand out from the competition.
- The Euro-style pillow top’s 1.25-inch layer of foam is stitched in under the cover, aiding with pressure relief.
- Below the pillow top, on the center third of the mattress, a unique lumbar area has been created with memory foam. It has a noticeably different feel from the rest of the mattress.
- Going deeper, the first layer of coils is revealed under a convoluted foam transition layer. There are 884 individually wrapped 4-inch coils in the queen size that create motion isolation and conform to the body.
- The lower layer of 416 connected coils are 7-inch steel hourglass-shaped support coils. They prevent sagging and provide support. In addition, the coil-on-coil design helps with air circulation and gives the bed a good amount of bounce.
- The bed’s edges are encased in a sturdy, thick foam (which is also found on its base) to deliver enhanced edge support and make every inch of the surface usable.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our team agrees that most people will find this bed comfortable because it has a medium to medium-firm level of support. A medium-level firmness is comfortable for almost every sleeping position as it balances pressure relief and support, making it an easy choice for couples who need to meet in the middle.
We rated Saatva a 6 on our 10-point firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. Most buyers choose and rave about the Luxury Firm bed we have reviewed today, but there are Plush Soft and Firm options available.
When pushing straight down into the top, you will feel the soft pillow top before experiencing the cradling and support of the springs beneath. There is a quick response time when removing your hand, which is slightly slower when placing your hand in the lumbar region where the memory foam is stored.
The bed has particularly great reviews from back sleepers. The springs and unique lumbar region provide the right amount of support. Hips dip into it slightly to give back sleepers the proper spine alignment.
There is a slight cradling effect when lying on the mattress. It is easy to move around on and no feelings of being sucked into the bed.
Stomach sleepers will also be comfortable with this brand. They need adequate support so the back will not arch uncomfortably and fall out of alignment. They will find exactly what they need.
Medium-firm beds can be challenging for side sleepers who need medium to soft support due to pressure relief requirement. However, our team feels that the Saatva will be satisfactory for most side sleepers.
The innovation in design means that most people, ranging from heavier to lighter, will have their needs met.
Still, the comfort level for each person is different. Significantly heavier and lighter side sleepers may need to consider the Plush Soft option in order to have proper alignment. A softer bed will allow sleepers to sink down further, which will not only provide the right alignment but pressure relief as well.
Significantly heavier individuals that sleep on their backs or stomachs may need to consider the Firm bed option for more support so they will not sink down too far. However, there is little risk of bottoming out in this bed.
Motion transfer is higher in this bed relative to memory foam beds, which are the best in respect to motion isolation. However, Saatva performs well in this regard when compared to other innerspring mattresses.
While the layer of individually wrapped coils helps to lessen motion transfer, a light sleeper who has a partner may need a different brand.
Saatva blows away the competition in the area of edge support. This is due to its additional layer of firm foam around the sides that provides superior support.
When sitting on the edge, there is little sinking into the bed when compared to other brands.
When lying on the edge, sleepers are well-supported. There is virtually no difference in lying on the edge of the bed or the center. If you sleep with a partner and need every inch of space, this is a great feature to consider when buying.
- Trial Period – 120-day home trial with free mattress removal. There is a $99 transportation cost if returned, which will be deducted from the refund.
- Free White Glove Delivery – The company will deliver the mattress to your home set up wherever you choose.
- Warranty – 15-year warranty.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This certification means that the brand stays within strict guidelines to ensure environmental and safety standards.
- Recycled Steel Innersprings
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14.5”||$649|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14.5”||$699|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14.5”||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14.5”||$999|
|King||76” x 80” x 14.5”||$1,399|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14.5”||$1,399|
Saatva is a luxury mattress at an affordable price! Its mix of quality and comfort makes it perfect for sleepers of nearly every style.
It is easy to see why the Saatva is a high-end luxury mattress. Our team is impressed by their ability to incorporate features such as extra lumbar and edge support with coil-on-coil construction while staying competitive with pricing.
Similar queen mattress from another brand would cost over $2,000, yet this brand costs $999. That’s still within the $1000 budget range.
If you want a high-quality mattress with a traditional and luxurious feel, we believe the Saatva should be on your shortlist. It will feel like you are sleeping at an expensive hotel every night. We hope that you enjoyed this analysis. For more options see our other reviews and use the filter option to get specific products listed that suit your needs.
Author: Mark Reddick
When I’m not learning about sleep, you can find me watching “the big game” with my friends. I absolutely love sports and have grown to follow the rest aspect in athletes. Modern technology allows us to track athletes sleep and rest, which in turn helps predict their performance.
I hope that everyone that finds our site takes a new approach to sleep. The world needs to stop thinking about it as something “we just do”, but rather something that allows us “to do everyday.”
Cheers to having the best sleep of your life!