Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Is adjustable firmness as good as it sounds?
With the Solaire Mattress from Saatva, sleepers can adjust their firmness with the click of a button. Well, one or more clicks, but who’s counting?
Saatva is known for their premium line of products and this addition to their lineup is where adjustability meets luxury. Firmness can be changed through air bladders located near the base, but this isn’t like any air mattress you may have taken camping as a girl scout.
Our in-depth Saatva Solaire Mattress review looks at how this 1 to 50 adjustable firmness works for different body types and sleeping positions. We also dive into features like support, cooling, and overall comfort.
As you are reading, keep in mind that this model comes in a Standard and split version. The Upper-Flex queen and split king comes with Saatva’s Lineal Adjustable Base, which allows co-sleepers to adjust both the base and firmness on their side.
If you don’t have time to catch the A to Z details, feel free to drop on down to the scoring and summary sections near the bottom.
You will love the Solaire Mattress if you:
- Sleep hot – This product uses several naturally cool materials, including cotton and latex, with the addition of gel infused memory foam to keep hot sleepers extra cool & satisfied.
- Share your sleeping space – The foams in this product help to keep motion to one side of the mattress. An added benefit is the Upper-Flex queen model and split king size, these not only keep motion isolated, partners can adjust the firmness and position of their side.
- Want targeted pressure relief and support – The latex foam in this product is zoned, and the 1 to 50 customizations allow for precise adjustment so you can find JUST the right firmness that you’re looking for. Those who get the Upper-Flex or split king version get an adjusting base that can be fitted to their ideal position as well.
You might not like the Solaire Mattress if you:
- Are on a tighter budget – While this bed is an investment, it is important to remember that competitor’s prices can be hundreds to a thousand dollars more than this. If you are looking for a mattress that offers a wide range of firmness options, this is a top choice when it comes to affordability.
Or, you can see our other top beds for this year if you want some other options.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
All Saatva mattresses include white glove delivery — an included service that entails product setup and removal of an old mattress, if necessary. Saatva recommends their Saatva system which includes an adjustable base but these can work well on frames and box springs that are less than 5 years old and queen sizes and larger should be used on a frame that has at least 1 center leg.
This bed is covered in a 2-inch, ultra-soft, cotton pillow top with Guardin® antimicrobial fabric treatment. This was made to feel cool and soft, allowing sleepers to enjoy a comforting feel as they lie down.
Beneath this cover there are 5 additional layers, and the mattress stands at a total of 13 inches tall.
- The first layer is a 1-inch, 5-Zone Talalay Latex. This buoyant material is responsive and is denser in the middle for optimized alignment.
- The second layer is a 2-inch gel infused memory foam layer that was added to help distribute weight, giving the bed a uniform feel that wipes away pressure.
- The third layer is a 1-inch moisture barrier constructed from polyfoam. This layer assists in bacteria prevention and was designed to keep a healthier sleep space.
- The fourth layer is the 6-inch air chamber that is made from vulcanized latex. Sleepers can adjust this layer between 1 and 50 to reach their desired firmness.
- Encasing the bed is a Power Edge enclosure which covers the bottom of the mattress and gives reinforcement to the perimeter. This is 3.5 inches wide by 6 inches tall, allowing it to encase the pumps and hoses completely.
Attached to each side of Saatva’s Solaire are 2 remotes that allow sleepers to control how much air goes in to each chamber.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Here at the Sleep Advisor, we rate beds on a ten point (firmness) scale, with 1’s being soft as air and 10’s being like a rock. With the adjustable firmness, this mattress scores anywhere between a 4 and 7 on that scale. This makes this a versatile option for all kinds of body types and sleeping positions.
When the bed is at its firmest it should feel like lying down in a minimal cradle, while at its softest it can feel more like a deep hug.
Depending on how customers have their bed set up, the softer settings can be more difficult to move around in, while a firmer feel helps it be quite a bit more responsive. This supports a bit of bounce that many people, especially combination sleepers who move around at night, might find quite helpful.
When changing sleeping positions, all sleepers need to do is simply adjust the bed’s firmness with the remote to better fit their new position.
Back sleepers really vary on their preferences. Some back sleepers like a softer bed while others prefer a firm, most would agree that a medium feel probably suits them best. This mattress allows sleepers to adjust between soft, medium, and firm. What’s important is that the mattress fills the small in their back and keeps them aligned.
Side sleepers typically enjoy a bed that ranges from medium to extra soft. This bed can help these folks achieve their perfect feel. It is important that areas like the hips and shoulders do not have too much pressure, as these heavier areas of the body can build up strain at night.
Stomach sleepers tend to lean towards a firmer sleeping surface. There will be many stomach sleepers who like the bed pumped all the way up to 50, while others might like a feel somewhere in the middle. These folks should make sure that the bed is not allowing their hips to sink too low, as this area of the body needs proper support to keep the body aligned.
At the end of the day (literally), this can be a good fit for most people. It adapts to many body types, though heavier folks should keep in mind that the brand recommends a weight consideration between 700 and 800 pounds. If you exceed this limit, it may be worth your time to consider a different option.
Motion isolation is a great benefit when it comes to anchoring motion to one side of the mattress. When a pet, child, or sleeping partner moves it can keep those movements from reaching your side of the bed (if you sleep light, motion isolation is a must have).
This product performs well under these conditions. The foamed layers help keep motion to one side of the bed, and the Upper-Flex queen or split king models heightens that benefit by creating a split between both sides in the head portion of the mattress.
This bed has reinforced foam rails and meets what most people would expect from foam. The firmness setting may have an impact on this as well, and the softer you go, the less supportive you may find the edges. Sleeping on the side of the bed normally is just fine, though customers might want to resist hugging the outermost edges.
- Adjustable Firmness
- Split Options – The Upper-Flex queen (split near the head) and split king come with an adjustable base so each sleeper can adjust their position as desired as well as the firmness on their own side of the bed.
- Trial Period – Customers get to take advantage of a 120-Night Trial, which allows them to return this product if it is not their cup of tea.
- Warranty – Saatva provides a 25-Year Warranty when customers order this product.
- Free White Glove Delivery – Shipping is not only free, but customers get the added benefit of having a moving team come in and install their mattress and take away the old one.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The materials used in this product were inspected by a third party that found them to have safe amounts of potentially harmful chemicals and metals.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38" x 80" x 13”||$1,995|
|Full||54" x 75" x 13”||$2,595|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 13”||$2,695|
|Queen: Upper-Flex||60" x 80" x 13”||$5,693|
|King||76" x 80" x 13”||$3,195|
|Split King||38" x 80" x 13” (x2)||$6,393|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 13”||$3,195|
Sleepers get the combination of luxury and technology with the Solaire Mattress. It provides premium comfort on top of targeted support and customized firmness that sleepers will come back to night after night.
Shoppers looking to save some money on a bed that provides custom firmness should really enjoy the features this product has to offer. When stacked next to competing brands, the differences are noticeable and lean in favor or the Solaire.
If you still have questions, be sure to check out our video review, where Michael puts this bed to the test. And if you have more questions about the Lineal Adjustable Base or any other Saatva product, we likely have a review for those as well. Happy Shopping!