Is adjustable firmness as good as it sounds?
With the Solaire Mattress from Saatva, sleepers can adjust their firmness with the click of a button, and with up to 50 firmness options, this mattress is the ultimate experience in individualized comfort and support.
Our in-depth Saatva Solaire Mattress review looks at how this adjustable bed works for different body types and sleeping positions. We also dive into features like support, cooling, and overall comfort.
As you are reading, keep in mind that this model also comes in a Standard and Upper-Flex version for Queen and King sizes.
If you don’t have time to catch the A to Z details, feel free to drop on down to the scoring and summary sections near the bottom.
Excellent Matches For Solaire
- Hot sleepers – This product uses several naturally cool materials, including cotton and latex, with the addition of gel-infused memory foam to keep hot sleepers extra cool and satisfied.
- Couples – The foams in this product help isolate motion, so you don’t easily wake your partner during the night. For even more personalization, couples who purchase either a Queen or King bed can choose an Upper Flex model, which allows each partner to adjust the firmness and position on their individual side.
- Targeted Support Seekers – The latex foam in this product is zoned, and the 1 to 50 customizations allow for precise adjustment so you can find the right firmness for you.
Possible Solaire Considerations:
- It’s more expensive – While this bed is an investment, it is important to remember that competitor’s prices can be hundreds to a thousand dollars more than this. If you are looking for a mattress that offers a wide range of firmness options, this is a top choice when it comes to affordability.
- No innerspring – This bed has plenty of exceptional features. However, those who enjoy the feel of a traditional innerspring mattress may prefer a different model. If this product piques your interest, the company offers a convenient 180-night trial, so you have plenty of time to test this mattress out before committing to the purchase.
Construction: What’s Inside the Solaire?
The Solaire Adjustable Mattress is 13 inches tall. The cover is an organic cotton pillow top quilted to 2 inches of foam.
- Below the pillow top is 5-Zone Talalay Latex. This buoyant material is responsive and is denser in the middle for optimized pressure relief. This layer is 1-inch thick.
- Going deeper, you will find a 2-inch gel-infused memory foam that wipes away pressure. The added gel should also prevent the memory foam from getting too hot.
- Further down is a special 1-inch thick moisture barrier that works to prevent bacteria growth in the mattress. Not only can this help prolong the life of your bed, but it also fosters a healthier sleep environment.
- The next layer is where you’ll find the 6-inch air chamber made from vulcanized latex. This is also the primary support system for the bed. Sleepers can adjust this layer between 1 and 50 to reach their desired firmness.
- Below the air chamber is 1 inch of 5-zone convoluted polyfoam for added pressure relief at the bottom of the bed.
- Encasing the bed is a Power Edge enclosure covering the bottom of the mattress and reinforces the perimeter. This layer completely encases the pumps and hoses, so they’re not visible.
An attached remote controls how much air goes into each chamber. Solaire beds that are a Queen size or larger come with two remotes - one for each side.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Solaire comes with complimentary White Glove Delivery, so you won’t have to lift a finger to set up your new bed once it arrives at your home. The breathable cotton cover should feel cool to the touch. Placing your hands on the mattress, you should feel the softness of the pillowtop, along with a quick response from the latex below as you push down.
The bed’s customizable settings will impact how the Solaire cradles your body and how firm the mattress will feel.
Firmness Scale: 4-7/10 (Soft-Hard)
When you lie down, you will begin to notice some sensitivity in certain parts of your body where the weight is concentrated. These are called pressure points. A bed designed with pressure-relieving features works to evenly distribute weight and give those sensitive pressure points a much-needed break.
The Solaire is exceptional in that it provides multiple comfort layers to alleviate achy joints and muscles. This bed’s pressure relief construction starts with the pillow top and then continues into the Talalay latex right below. The latex layer is located in the center third of the bed and is zoned to target specific areas prone to pressure. Below the latex, the third comfort layer is 2 inches of memory foam, a highly popular material that’s known for its ability to contour and melt away pain.
For those seeking additional relief, you can adjust the bed firmness to a softer setting.
Another core component of a high-quality bed is support. A strong support system will help keep your spine in good alignment while you rest, minimizing your risk of developing or worsening chronic back pain.
The beauty of an adjustable mattress is that those who need a sturdier, firmer bed for back support can customize the firmness to what levels helps them the most. The Solaire’s air chamber firmness settings go from 1 to 50, so you have plenty of range to find your desired feel. Additionally, the zoned support in the Talalay latex should also foster back support in the lumbar region.
Multiple Firmness Options
This mattress offers a competitive advantage by providing sleepers up to 50 firmness choices. These range from soft all the way to firm so you can find what works best for your sleep style.
Free White Glove Delivery
When you order a Solaire bed, you are also getting free White Glove Delivery with your purchase. Not only will the company deliver the mattress right to your door, but a team of professionals will set it up for you. You do not need to worry about your old mattress either; they’ll remove that free of charge as well.
The surface of this mattress should stay cool with the help of the cotton cover, a breathable material that shouldn’t get too hot. Additionally, gel is infused into the memory foam further below to prevent overheating.
Exceptional Edge Support
The Solaire’s Power Edge Enclosure creates optimum edge support by reinforcing support along the bed’s perimeter. This allows you to access the mattress’s entire surface area.
Motion isolation is a great benefit when it comes to anchoring motion to one side of the mattress. When a pet, child, or sleeping partner moves, motion isolation should help prevent you from feeling anything on your side of the bed.
This product performs well under these conditions. The foamed layers help keep motion to one side of the bed, and the Upper-Flex Queen or King models heighten this by creating a split between both sides in the head portion of the mattress.
Saatva is an excellent company for those who want beds that are more environmentally friendly. The Solaire features a certified organic cotton cover, 100 percent natural latex, and foams certified to be safe from harmful levels of chemicals or substances.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This bed is compatible with different foundations, including an adjustable base.
Handcrafted in the USA
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US certified, which means they were inspected by a third party that found them to have safe amounts of potentially harmful chemicals and metals.
- Certified Natural Materials – The cotton cover of this mattress is GOTS-certified. This means that the cotton meets the international third-party standard to be certified organic.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the contiguous United States. Shipping to Alaska or Hawaii can be arranged by contacting the company.
- Free White-Glove Delivery - Customers living in the continental U.S. get free professional installation of their Solaire mattress. Removal of your previous bed is also included.
- Trial - You can try out this bed for 365 nights before making a permanent decision.
- Warranty - This bed comes with a lifetime warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38" x 80" x 13”||$2,325|
|Full||54" x 75" x 13”||$3,195|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 13”||$3,345|
|King||76" x 80" x 13”||$3,895|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 13”||$3,895|
|Split King||38" x 80" x 13” (x2)||$4,650|
|Split Cali King||36" x 84" x 13”(x2)||$4,750|
Sleepers get a combination of luxury and technology with the Solaire mattress. It provides premium comfort on top of targeted support and customized firmness to help provide your most restful sleep ever.
Side sleepers typically enjoy a bed that ranges from medium to extra soft since their weight is concentrated in the hips and shoulders. This customizable bed can help these folks achieve their perfect feel so that they’re less likely to feel strain in those areas during the night.
This Solaire adjustable mattress allows sleepers to adjust between soft, medium, and firm depending on the support they prefer and need. The Solaire also comes with targeted support for the lumbar region, making this a prime choice for back sleepers.
Stomach sleepers tend to lean towards a firmer sleeping surface so that their hips don’t sink too low, throwing their body out of alignment. There will be many stomach sleepers who like the bed pumped up to 50, while others might prefer somewhere in the middle.
This adjustable mattress is excellent for combination sleepers, who fluctuate between different sleep positions during the night. For example, if you move from your stomach to your side and need some more softness to help you sleep, simply grab the remote and adjust the bed to your desired comfort level.
The Solaire’s versatility is very convenient for those who share a bed with someone else. Couples who have very different sleep preferences than their partner should greatly benefit from the Upper-Flex option in the Queen or King size beds, which allow each person to customize their side.
Sleepers with a heavier weight will likely prefer to set this mattress in a higher firmness range. However, if you find this bed doesn’t provide enough support, Saatva’s HD Mattress is specifically designed for sleepers with larger frames up to 500 pounds.
Those who weigh significantly less typically do better with softer mattresses and will most likely keep the Solaire at a lighter firmness. Light-weight sleepers should also enjoy the plush pillowtop and multiple pressure relieving features, including the gel memory foam and latex foam.
With the Solaire mattress, you get eco-friendly materials, highly personalized comfort, cooling, zone support, and a convenient shipping and setup process. The Solaire might be a little more than you’re looking to spend, but considering all the helpful and adaptable features it offers, it’s a valuable investment.