Choosing a new bed frame is an important step on the road to better sleep. Your bed frame serves as your mattress’s supportive foundation, and it likely stands out as one of the largest pieces of furniture in your home.
When choosing which frame to buy, you’ll want to consider your bed, your budget, and your desired bedroom aesthetic. Some frames have slats that can go directly under your mattress, whereas others require a box spring. Below, we’ve listed a wide range of the best bed frames out there to help you find your mattress’s match.
The 9 Best Bed Frames
- Saatva Siena – Best Overall
- Nectar Aurora – Best Platform Bed Frame
- Helix Natural Wood Frame – Best Wood Bed Frame
- Tempur-Pedic Contemporary Bed Frame – Best Metal Bed Frame
- Brooklyn Bedding High Rise Platform – Best Affordable Bed Frame
- Layla Bed Frame – Best Bed Frame for Sex
- Avocado City Bed Frame – Best Bed Frame with a Headboard
- DreamCloud Platform Bed – Best Bed Frame with Storage Space Underneath
- The Bed by Thuma – Best Bed Frame for Heavy People
Siena Bed Frame
A premium bed frame made with high-quality leather and hand-sewn touches.
Why the Saatva Siena Earned Best Bed Frame
This platform bed frame from Saatva represents the height of both luxury and convenience. Its leather upholstery lends it a classic, elegant look, and the details behind its sustainably sourced materials and painstaking manufacturing elevate it to the rank of Editor’s Pick.
What’s the Saatva Siena Made Of?
The Siena sports one of two types of leather, depending on the color you choose for your frame. The rich brown Espresso Antica color is aniline leather, whereas the Slate Verona and Black Verona colors are semi-aniline leather.
Aniline leather is regarded as the highest-quality leather available for purchase. After tanning, this type of leather is treated with a translucent dye that preserves the hide’s natural markings and singular appearance. (Semi-aniline leather is quite similar, but its dye contains pigment that slightly alters the leather’s color and feel.)
Saatva is especially mindful of how it sources and processes its leather, as well. All of the leather on this frame comes from free-range livestock, and as it’s prepared, any waste that results is later used as fertilizer. The leather is finally hand-sewn and applied to the frame by expert craftspeople.
The Siena also features wooden legs and slats held together by sturdy hardware. The wood inside the frame is likewise sustainably sourced, then dried in a kiln to prevent warping, a practice that cements the frame’s impressive durability.
The Siena is an extremely luxurious bed frame made by one of the most trusted mattress brands operating today. It’s an investment, but one that should last you for many, many years.
- This frame has a freestanding design with a sturdy leather headboard, meaning your bed doesn’t need to be placed against a wall. You can set it up anywhere you’d like—yes, even in the middle of the room.
- Saatva’s commitment to eco-friendly and sustainable practices is reflected throughout the body of this frame. Not only is it attractive and timeless, it’s a piece that was made with visible care.
- The strong slats in this frame negate the need for a separate foundation or box spring beneath your mattress.
- Saatva’s white glove delivery policies allow you to relax as your frame is carried to the bedroom and assembled right in front of you.
- This frame is a luxury item, and it’s priced accordingly. Keep an eye out for promotions or holiday deals to reduce the cost.
- The leather upholstery on this frame requires a tad more care than other materials. You should condition it once a year, and try to prevent scratches and stains whenever possible.
Best Platform Bed Frame
Nectar Aurora Bed Frame
A platform bed frame that combines wood, steel, and a pleasingly clean design.
Why the Nectar Aurora Earned Best Platform Bed Frame
The Nectar Aurora wins Best Platform Bed Frame due to its combination of solidity and style. It’ll support your mattress with no problem (and no box spring), and it’ll look good doing it. What’s more, it’s a relatively budget-friendly piece of furniture.
What’s the Nectar Aurora Made Of?
The wood components of the Aurora are made of pine, and it also contains reinforced steel. Both materials make it extremely strong and durable.
The Aurora has a modern sensibility that should gel well with most bedrooms, and its low-profile design means it will complement rather than overwhelm the surrounding decor. It’s pleasingly simple and affordable, two qualities that we prize in a bed frame.
- Despite its low profile, there’s still storage space underneath this frame so you can stow away some non-lofty items.
- This frame comes in two appealing colors: Natural and Walnut.
- According to Nectar and multiple customer reviews, the Aurora provides enough support for plus-sized as well as average-sized and lightweight sleepers.
- You’ll have to assemble this frame yourself, but the tools are included with the delivery and setup should not be very difficult.
- There’s no headboard attached to this frame—you’ll have to look at other models if you’re seeking something to lean against.
Best Wood Bed Frame
Helix Natural Wood Frame
Available in white or natural wood hues, this frame is bright, modern, and thoughtfully made.
Why the Helix Natural Wood Frame Earned Best Wood Bed Frame
This chic wood frame captured our hearts due to the thought behind its materials. Many bed frames boast in vague terms about their wood, but Helix fits no less than three specific kinds into their frame, all of which should prove sturdy and long-lasting.
What’s the Helix Natural Wood Frame Made Of?
The rails on the sides of the frame are 100% Appalachian hardwoods such as maple and poplar, and are reinforced to maintain industrial-level strength. The frame’s support slats are made of Southern yellow pine (a very sustainable species), and the legs are made of Appalachian maple from North Carolina.
Helix sources all of this wood from sites certified by the Forest Stewardship Council, an organization that stands for responsible forest management.
This bed frame might look basic, but Helix rightly touts its clean design and robust wood elements as benefits. We’re a fan of its bright, minimalist aesthetic, as it speaks to its efficiency and functionality.
- You don’t need any tools or separate hardware to assemble this frame, as it comes together via joinery. The brief video on Helix’s product page demonstrates how simple it is to build.
- The finish on the wood in this frame is formaldehyde-free and does not emit any volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- You’ll have a little more than 8 full inches of storage space between the frame and the floor.
- This frame doesn’t have a headboard or the requisite brackets to attach one.
- This frame comes in two light colors: natural and white. If you’d prefer a darker frame, you’ll have to look at alternative models.
Best Metal Bed Frame
Tempur-Pedic Contemporary Bed Frame
An especially strong and durable frame that can support tall, heavy mattresses.
Why the Tempur-Pedic Contemporary Bed Frame Earned Best Metal Bed Frame
Tempur-Pedic has constructed a metal bed frame that can support even the most grand and heavy mattresses. Its strength is evident in its design, which features three legs along each side and a seventh center leg for additional bracing. We picked it for its simplicity, sturdiness, and reliability.
What’s the Contemporary Bed Frame Made Of?
The Contemporary Bed Frame is made of metal, but it doesn’t sport sharp edges. Its support rails end in rounded shapes rather than corners, and its legs are likewise curved and tapered. This lack of harsh angles helps to protect your feet and legs as you navigate around the frame (especially in the dark).
Reviews for the Contemporary Bed Frame highlight its stability and praise it for its lack of noise. Given that Tempur-Pedic makes some of the most advanced mattresses on the market—some of which weigh more than 200 pounds—we trust that this frame can hold most beds securely.
- This frame is hardy and strong, and can support both modest and thick, tall mattresses.
- Tempur-Pedic builds its frames in the United States, and includes a 10-year warranty plus free shipping with your order.
- This frame is only available in king or queen sizes.
- Because it lacks support slats, this frame will require a box spring or foundation to go between it and your bed.
Best Affordable Bed Frame
Brooklyn Bedding High Rise Platform
A lofty platform bed frame that folds away for easy storage.
Sleep Advisor Score
4.20 / 5
Why the High Rise Platform Earned Best Affordable Bed Frame
With a queen-size option available for less than $200 and a platform construction that requires no box spring, this frame nets you several desirable features at a low cost. Its 1,500-pound weight capacity is doubly impressive when you consider that it requires no assembly and folds up easily for storage.
What’s the High Rise Platform Made Of?
This bed frame is made out of metal. It has narrow legs along its sides and center, and its grid of support bars eliminates the need for a box spring or separate foundation.
This is an exceptionally budget-friendly frame that combines the support benefits of a platform base with the convenience of a folding design. If you’re trying to save money or space without compromising on sturdiness, it should be a good bet.
- You can place any type of mattress onto this frame—it’s compatible with innerspring, foam, and hybrid models.
- You’ll have nearly 14 full inches of storage underneath this frame once it’s unfolded and set up.
- An inexpensive set of brackets (available for purchase separately) allows you to attach a headboard to this frame.
- This frame is only available in black.
- Compared to some of the other frames in this roundup, this frame has a spartan and functional design rather than an eye-catching aesthetic.
Best Bed Frame for Sex
Layla Bed Frame
Heavy sleepers looking for a modern and discreet bed frame should consider this Layla model that fits nearly all bedroom decor.
Why the Layla Bed Frame Earned Best Bed Frame for Sex
Layla claims that you could “hold a party” on your mattress, and you still wouldn’t hear a peep from this bed frame. It’s engineered to be noiseless and to stay put, no matter what goes on above it.
What’s the Layla Bed Frame Made Of?
This bed frame’s support structure is made of steel, and its legs consist of fiberglass-infused resin. The legs are tapered and attractive with no sharp corners.
Its components snap together without any tools, and the whole frame can be assembled in less than a minute (though we encourage you not to rush). Once set up, it can hold up to 2,500 pounds.
The frame does lack center slats, however, so be aware that you will need a box spring or separate foundation to go underneath your mattress.
Layla makes a point to emphasize its frame’s durability and squeak-free design. It’s a sturdy foundation that should stand up well to all sorts of movement, so we recommend it for sexually active folks.
- This frame has an unobtrusive design with legs that shouldn’t scuff the floor or damage the carpet.
- If you aren’t satisfied with this frame, Layla makes the return process quite painless.
- You can only purchase this frame in one color: black.
- This frame does not have an attached headboard or footboard, and requires a box spring or foundation.
Best Bed Frame with a Headboard
Avocado City Bed Frame
A solid wood bed frame that’s simple to set up and eco-friendly.
Sleep Advisor Score
4.50 / 5
Why the Avocado City Bed Frame Earned Best Bed Frame with a Headboard
When you order this eco-friendly bed frame from Avocado, you’ll have the option to add a solid wood headboard. It’s tall enough to support multiple stacked pillows and still showcase the frame’s beautiful, sustainably sourced wood. Like the rest of the frame’s components, it requires no tools during assembly.
What’s the Avocado City Bed Frame Made Of?
Avocado builds their bed frames from solid, handcrafted timber that’s been sustainably and domestically sourced.
Whether you prefer the darker walnut color or a natural-looking blonde, the wood is treated with a water-based sealant—the brand doesn’t use any finishing products with toxic chemicals. You won’t find any particleboard or fiberboard in this frame, either.
As a thoughtful touch, Avocado leaves the support slats in this frame unfinished. Their natural, rougher texture helps to ensure that your mattress doesn’t slip or slide. The front corners of the frame are also rounded to prevent stubbed toes and shins.
Stylish bed frames with matching headboards can be hard to find, and an eco-friendly version is especially notable. This frame from Avocado checks a lot of our boxes: it’s easy to set up and break down, it’s made with the environment in mind, and it looks quite dashing in almost any bedroom.
- Avocado backs up its eco-friendly talk with certifications and affiliations. For example, the brand belongs to the Sustainable Furnishings Council, whose mission is to increase environmentally sustainable practices in the furniture industry.
- If you want to tie your bedroom decor together, consider taking a look at the City Nightstand that pairs perfectly with this frame.
- This bed frame even comes with floor-protecting felt pads that go under its legs.
- There isn’t a lot of storage space under this bed frame, though you’ll still have about 5 inches of clearance between it and the floor.
- The care that Avocado puts into their eco-friendly products equates to a relatively higher cost at checkout.
Best Bed Frame with Storage Space Underneath
DreamCloud Platform Bed
A wooden platform bed frame with eye-catching angles.
Why the DreamCloud Platform Bed Earned Best Bed Frame with Storage Space Underneath
Many platform bed frames sit low to the ground as part of their design, but the DreamCloud Platform Bed attains a useful height without sacrificing its smart, modern look. You’ll have 8.5 inches of storage space underneath its sturdy slats to store your goods.
What’s the DreamCloud Platform Bed Made Of?
The DreamCloud Platform Bed is made of solid pine and spruce wood. It has 10-inch legs that are set at a pleasing angle, and the edges of the frame are beveled to give it a singular, classy aesthetic.
The frame’s wooden slats are set 4 inches apart for optimal support. They can hold up your mattress without any need for a box spring or foundation.
With its subtly daring angles and alluring wood, this frame draws the eye. We love that it’s so fashionable while also allowing for an above-average amount of storage under its slats.
- This frame has more color options than most. You can order in white, black, or golden oak.
- You won’t need any tools to put this frame together, and assembly should not take long.
- DreamCloud gives you a generous 50-night trial to test out this platform frame.
- This frame can’t be attached to a headboard or footboard.
- The legs on this frame aren’t rounded, so just be mindful as you step around it in the dark.
Best Bed Frame for Heavy People
Thuma Bed Frame
Known as “The Bed,” this frame comes together without tools and offers robust support with its wooden slats.
Sleep Advisor Score
4.90 / 5
Why the Thuma Frame Earned Best Bed Frame for Heavy People
Thuma assures customers that their frame has been “strenuously tested” and can comfortably hold 1,500 pounds or more. With less than 3 inches of space between them, its slats are spaced nearer to one another than those in many other platform beds, offering increased support for plus-sized sleepers.
What’s the Thuma Frame Made Of?
Thuma’s The Bed is made of repurposed wood. Its slats are lined with felt that cushions their ends against the wood and dampens noise. The felt itself is made from recycled plastic. The legs of this frame are also padded with cork to protect your floors.
You can choose to add a wood headboard or Thuma’s signature PillowBoard to your order, as well. The PillowBoard is made of CertiPUR-US® certified foam and covered with 100% polyester fabric in a color of your choice: Dark Charcoal, Fog Grey, or Light Linen.
Thuma bills the PillowBoard as a headboard alternative, and it fits neatly between the head of your mattress and the wall. It’s lightweight and can easily be removed or adjusted.
You don’t need any tools to assemble the Thuma, as its pieces fit together via Japanese joinery.
Thuma’s The Bed is a fashionably minimalist yet heavy-duty frame that can support most mattress and body types. Its thick wooden structure is visually beautiful, virtually noiseless, and extremely strong.
- You can order a Thuma frame in one of three colors: Walnut, Natural, or Espresso.
- This frame leaves you a full 9 inches of space between it and the floor—enough room for carry-on luggage and other items.
- Having been tested for potentially harmful chemicals and emissions, this frame boasts a GREENGUARD Gold certification.
- Thuma’s frames aren’t as budget-friendly as other platform beds on this list.
- If you get this frame with the PillowBoard, you won’t be able to place your bed away from a wall. Unlike the headboard, the PillowBoard needs a flat surface behind it to function properly.
Sleep Advisor’s Testing Methodology
As we test out bed frames or bases, we are analyzing for certain features we feel are most valuable to consumers. Among these are the materials and how durable the product feels and appears, the height, support capabilities, how easy it is to assemble, and whether or not it is noisy. We also take into account the price, as well as any sleep trial and warranty deals.
What to Look For in a Bed Frame
Before you buy, we’ll give you a list of qualities to consider, including everything from durability to noise control.
Metal bases tend to be easy to set up and are inexpensive and sturdy, but wood options can also fit these criteria. While wood may be more aesthetically pleasing in some cases, some options are customizable.
While this may seem straightforward enough, the height of your bed can affect a variety of factors, including everything from storage space to safety concerns. While a high bed may mean you have more room to store your stuff, a lower bed could be easier to get in and out of and contribute to your modern aesthetic.
Before you get ahead of yourself, however, those with kids should decide how accessible they want their bed to be. Keep in mind that a low bed is easier to climb into.
Slatted support usually includes wooden or metal slats across a rectangular base to support your mattress without needing a box spring. These are convenient in that they help your mattress keep a low profile and leave plenty of space for storage. Most mattresses will get enough support from slatted frames, however, some will require a solid foundation.
We recommend checking with your manufacturer to ensure your foundation has enough support for your bed.
Weight limit is also important with regards to support. Remember that the weight limits for a frame usually include both the sleeper(s) and the mattress, so if you have an ultra-dense memory foam mattress and you sleep with a partner, be sure to factor that in.
When you’re buying online, it can be difficult to know what kind of quality you’re getting, and it’s not always evident from the price. Reading reviews should be helpful, but if there’s any doubt, choose another option or check out that return policy.
Many modern frames don’t require any additional tools for setup, but before you order, it’s probably a good idea to make sure. You should also consider your living situation and whether you have access to help assembling your bed frame. Some frames may be easier to put together on your own, whereas others may require an extra pair of hands for setup.
Squeaking springs are one thing, but the slam of a headboard on a wall is unmistakable. When you’re buying a bed, you’ll want to make sure it’s sturdy enough to withstand any activity.
Noise should also be a consideration for adjustable bases since some of these bases may create noise when you adjust them.
Ease of Use
If you’re considering an adjustable base, specifically, it’s also a good idea to understand how easy it is to use. Some consumers love more advanced, high-tech smart beds, while others want something as simple to use as possible.
Does it come with a remote? While many adjustable bases do, it’s helpful to double-check if this is something important to you.
No matter how much you like a product, you don’t want to blow your whole budget on the frame. Make sure you know the exact price for the size you need, as they tend to vary. Keep in mind that some of these cheaper streamlined frames are compatible with a headboard so you may not have to sacrifice your style for your budget, or the other way around. Before buying, make sure you know your options.
Sleep Trial & Warranty
When shopping online, it’s helpful to go with products that come with a sleep trial period, which means you can test out the product first-hand at home with the option to return it within the set amount of time for a full refund.
If you have the option for a warranty, we recommend looking at the fine print so you know under what conditions you can return the product if it doesn’t function the way you expect it to. In some cases, you’ll have years while in other cases the warranty is limited.
Frequently Asked Questions About Bed Frames
What type of bed frame is most sturdy?
Solid wood or solid metal bed frames typically provide the most stability.
What sizes do bed frames come in?
Bed frames come in all sorts of sizes, including Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, or California King. The appropriate size will vary depending on the number of sleepers and whether it’s for an adult or child. Of course, you’ll want to make sure your bed frame size correlates with your mattress size.
How much should a decent bed frame cost?
Good-quality bed frames can vary greatly in price, and of course, the size of the frame will also affect the price. You can find frames from reputable brands under 200 dollars for a Queen size, all the way up to over 1,000 dollars for a Queen size. For this reason, it also helps to consider the aesthetic you want, as well as the materials and other factors we covered above.
Our Final Thoughts
Whether you’re looking to add some storage space to your children’s room or add a modern flair to your first apartment, there is a bed frame option out there for you, and we hope our list and buyers guide will lead you in the right direction to find it. As a bonus, with the options on our list, frames shouldn’t have to rival the cost of your mattress. From the traditional box spring combo to the slatted style, just be sure your foundation can support you, your mattress, and your lifestyle.
- 70 Different Bed Styles, Types and Frames- The Ultimate Buying Idea List
- How To Pick a Carpet for Your Bedroom
- How to Choose the Best Mat for Your Bedroom
- The Most Unique Master Bedroom Design Ideas For 2021
- Modern Minimalist Bedroom Ideas – 7 Tips for Decluttered and Mindful Space
As Sleep Advisor’s Performance Editor, Melanie writes and edits content throughout the site to ensure it’s accurate, engaging, and up-to-date.