Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
WinkBeds proudly sources all of their materials from the U.S. and assembles them to order in an American factory. The company ships directly to their customers, which allows them to sell luxury hybrids for a fraction of retail store prices. Tests performed by the company show excellent long-term durability.
Our in-depth WinkBed mattress review will take you through its seven layers of coils and foams and analyze its features, including pressure relief, edge to edge support, and cooling.
WinkBeds sells this model at three different comfort levels: Softer, Luxury Firm, and Firmer, along with a slightly modified Plus version for heavier people. We focus in on the largely accommodative Luxury Firm during this review.
Keep reading for our point-by-point analysis, or skip straight to the scores and overall impression section.
You will love the WinkBed if you:
- Are looking for extra support – This mattress has two distinct pocketed coil units, which make its level of support hard to beat. One is specially designed to contour to your curves, while the other keeps your weight evenly distributed and spine straight.
- Are a combination sleeper – Individuals who alternate between sleep positions will enjoy the Luxury Firm’s versatility and features like support and bounce that make this mattress easy to move around on.
- Want temperature regulation – Two separate coil units keep air flowing through this mattress, which can help it sleep cool. There is also an optional coolControl™ base that lets you set a preferred temperature with your smartphone for customized comfort.
You might not like the WinkBed if you:
- Love an all-foam mattress – This hybrid’s springs promote more airflow than foam and offer greater bounce for easy repositioning, though it will not have quite the same motion isolation or feel of all-foam.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Each WinkBed hybrid mattress is made to order and shipped from the company’s manufacturing facility in Wisconsin after being compressed and rolled into a smaller box. White Glove Delivery, which will professionally unwrap and install your mattress, is available upon request.
The company recommends sturdy frames with stable centers, platforms, and/or new high-quality box springs. Foundations, including a coolControl™ foundation that can heat and cool your mattress to your preferred temperature, can be purchased on the company’s website.
The cover is made from a stretch-knit fabric and Tencel, a breathable and eco-friendly textile made from sustainable wood pulp, that wicks away moisture. This fabric is tufted with two layers of comfort foam, which gives the bed a plush pillow top look.
Each mattress is handcrafted so the dimensions may vary slightly, but both the Luxury Firm and Firmer options are approximately 14.5 inches tall. The Softer is 15.5. The following specifications refer to the Luxury Firm option.
- The first layer is a 1-inch hypersoft comfort foam layer that is quick responding, which assists with contouring and ease of repositioning.
- The second layer has a 1-inch layer of Stabilizing Gel Foam that absorbs motion transfer and more evenly distributes weight for uniform pressure-relief. An infusion of gel conducts heat away from the body.
- The third layer contains a 2.4-inch Pocketed Micro Air-Springs™ that offers contouring support and promotes airflow to keep the sleeper cool and dry.
- The fourth layer is a .75-inch Lumbar Support Pad made from pre-compressed cotton that forms a transition between the micro coil unit and the pocketed steel coils. This pad adds stability and promotes good spinal alignment.
- The fifth layer has 8-inch pocketed tempered steel coils that gives the sleeper durable support and forms a stable foundation for the other layers. It also provides a deep bounce and increased air circulation.
- The sixth layer is a 2-inch layer of foam placed beneath the coil unit that supports the levels above.
- The perimeter layer is a 4.5-inch thick high-density foam rail system for sturdy edge support.
Note that the Softer version of the bed will have more flex in the coils, a thinner Lumbar Support Pad, and an extra 1-inch layer of hypersoft comfort foam on the top. The Firmer option will have a zoned coil unit in the base that provides stronger coils in the hip area for extra midsection support.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored the Luxury Firm at a 6.5 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest, which can accommodate the widest variety of people. The company also offers a Softer option, which they score at a 4.5, and a Firmer version, which they score at a 7.5.
Learn more about our firmness scoring system here.
The soft tufted cover feels plush and luxurious to the touch and gently cradles your body’s weight when lying down on the top of this mattress. There is less sinkage compared to some hybrids and many all-foam designs, but both the foam layers and the micro coil unit should contour to your curves and evenly distribute your weight to relieve pressure.
The 8-inch coil system will help keep your spine aligned. It also supplies a deep bounce and strong support that can help when repositioning, and the overall fast response combined layers and micro coil unit should prevent you from feeling rooted in position.
Because you will sleep closer to the surface instead of inside the mattress, more air can circulate around your body to keep you cool. Open cell foams and coil units also promote airflow that keeps the temperature well-regulated.
Overall, the Luxury Firm option, which is the company’s best-selling model, will be the most accommodative for most sleeping styles and especially attractive for combination sleepers who rotate between positions.
Most back sleepers will appreciate the comfort of the foam layers in their lumbar region and the support of the steel coils that will keep their spine in neutral alignment.
Most side sleepers will find good pressure relief with the foam layers and excellent spine alignment from the coils. Pressure relief is particularly important for side sleepers who rest with most of their weight concentrated on a smaller surface area. Individuals requiring more accommodation in this area may want to try the Softer option.
Most stomach sleepers will appreciate the supportive coil unit that will keep their spines straight by keeping their hips level with their legs and shoulders. Stomach sleepers requiring extra support, especially those who carry significantly more weight in their midsections, may want to look at the Firmer option that has a zoned coil unit with stronger coils in the center.
Because the WinkBed is so substantial, a wide variety of people and body weights will be comfortable, but the brand also manufactures a Plus option, which was specially designed for sleepers who are over 300 pounds.
Motion transfer refers to how much movement travels from one end of the bed to another. Old-fashioned innerspring mattresses with connected coil units usually transfer the most motion, memory foam tends to transfer the least, and hybrids are right around the middle.
The WinkBed performs on average for hybrids in this space. Both the foam and two rows of individually pocketed coils that flex independently do a decent job isolating motion. People who share this bed should be able to move without the worry of disturbing their partners.
This hybrid was never compressed or rolled into a box and contains high-density foam rails around the perimeter. Together, these features provide above-average edge support compared to some other hybrids available online. You will notice very little compression when sitting on the side and the edge’s support will feel the same as the center’s.
This is important for individuals who share their sleeping space and take up a greater area together; beds with strong edges give you more room to move around and still sleep comfortably.
- Optional coolControl™ Base – The company also offers an optional high-performance foundation that connects to the base and uses copper plates and quiet fans to adjust the temperature of the mattress to a specified setting. Both sides may be heated or cooled independently of one another.
- Multiple Firmness Options – When ordering this mattress, you may specify from three different firmness options: Softer, Luxury Firm, or Firmer. Within the trial period, you may exchange your firmness level for a small fee.
- Trial Period – You may try it out for 120 nights to make sure you love it, or you can return it for a full refund.
- Warranty – This product comes with a lifetime warranty.
- “Any Reason” 50% Off Lifetime Replacement Guarantee – To ensure a perfect fit over a lifetime, the company offers a one-time replacement post-trial if you find your firmness needs have changed and you want to try a different feel. This policy allows you to buy a fresh bed for 50% of the current retail price to replace your original WinkBeds purchase after the 120-day trial has expired.
- Shipping – Persons in the continental U.S. can order the bed with free shipping and returns.
- Optional White Glove Delivery Service – The company will arrange for your new mattress to be delivered and professionally installed and your old one will be hauled away, for an additional fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – All foams were tested by an industry-recognized organization and found to have no or acceptable (safe) minimal levels of specific chemicals, ozone depleters, and heavy metals.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)*||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14.5”||$749|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14.5”||$849|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14.5”||$999|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14.5”||$1,299|
|King||76” x 80” x 14.5”||$1,499|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14.5”||$1,499|
*Because the WinkBed is handcrafted, exact measurements may vary by half an inch. The Softer option is one inch thicker than the Luxury Firm and Firmer options.
The WinkBed offers all the luxury high-end features of a retail store model at a competitive online price.
WinkBeds’ passion for hand-crafted details and substantial construction shows in the design of their bed, which will be a great match for many different individual sleep preferences.
Its durable steel coil core is wrapped in high-end luxury textiles and performance foams that wick away heat and moisture, for a cool and dry sleeping experience many can enjoy. All these luxury features are available at a fraction of the cost of many comparable retail store brands.
The WinkBed is an all-American product that is built to last and a worthwhile investment. Check it out for 120 nights and see if this is a mattress that performs great for you.
Sources & References
- WinkBeds’ new mattress has built-in heating and cooling – techcrunch.com
Author: Mark Reddick
When I’m not learning about sleep, you can find me hanging out with my wife and close friends.
I absolutely love entrepreneurship and learning how to improve yourself daily. We only get one life, and I want to make it the best one possible.
I hope that everyone that finds our site takes a new approach to sleep. The world needs to stop thinking about it as something “we just do,” but rather something that allows us “to do every day.”