Sourced and assembled in the United States, WinkBed is a versatile hybrid mattress with lots of options for those who know what they like. Combining sandwiched foam and two layers of pocketed coils, this bed should keep most sleepers cool and comfortable—but is it right for you?
Our WinkBed Mattress Review will analyze the mattress specs, including everything from comfort features to bounce, and let you know who we think is a perfect match. Spoiler alert: with so many choices, there is probably a good option for everyone.
For our comprehensive look at WinkBed, keep reading, or just skip to the bottom for our final thoughts on the brand.
Who Do We Think Matches With WinkBed?
- Hot Sleepers – WinkBed includes two separate layers of individually pocketed springs and gel infusions to draw heat away from the surface and circulate it around the mattress, keeping you cool. With a Tencel fabric cover, this mattress goes all out on the cooling mechanisms.
- Combo Sleepers – With great support and plenty of bounce, repositioning in the WinkBed should be a snap. It’s versatile enough to support a variety of sleeping positions, potentially reducing the number of times you wake up in the night.
- Couples – The bed includes reinforced edge support, increasing the amount of sleepable surface area, meaning more room to spread out. Combined with motion isolation from the pocketed coils and deep bounce (which is great for sex), we’d highly recommend this bed for couples
Possible WinkBed Complaints:
- Traditional Memory Foam Fans – This model has lots of springs, which provide a slew of benefits from better response to better air circulation but probably won’t provide that slow melting feeling of a traditional memory foam mattress.
Construction: What’s inside WinkBed?
The cover is made from a stretch-knit fabric with Tencel, a breathable and eco-friendly textile made from sustainable wood pulp, that wicks away moisture. This fabric is tufted with two layers of comfort foam, which gives the mattress a plush, pillowtop look.
Each mattress is handcrafted, so the dimensions may vary slightly, but both the Luxury Firm and Firmer options are approximately 13.5 inches tall. The following specifications refer to the Luxury Firm option.
- The pillow top is a tufted 1-inch hypersoft comfort foam layer that is quick responding, which assists with contouring and ease of repositioning.
- The second layer has 1 inches of Stabilizing Gel Foam that absorbs motion transfer and more evenly distributes weight for uniform pressure-relief. An infusion of gel conducts heat away from the body.
- Below the foam is a 2.5-inch Pocketed Micro Air-Springs™ layer that offers contouring support and promotes airflow to keep the sleeper cool and dry.
- The fourth layer is a Lumbar Support Pad made from pre-compressed cotton that forms a transition between the micro-coil unit and the pocketed steel coils. This pad adds stability and promotes good spinal alignment.
- The fifth layer has pocketed tempered steel coils that give the sleeper durable support and forms a stable foundation for the other layers. It also provides a deep bounce and increased air circulation.
- The bottom layer is a 1-inch foam placed beneath the coil unit that supports the levels above
- Along the perimeter is a 4.5-inch thick high-density foam rail system for sturdy edge support.
Note that the Softer version of the bed will have more flex in the coils, a thinner Lumbar Support Pad, and an extra 1-inch layer of hypersoft comfort foam on the top. The Firmer option will have a zoned coil unit in the base that provides stronger coils in the hip area for extra midsection support.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Each WinkBed hybrid mattress is made to order and shipped from the company’s manufacturing facility in Wisconsin after being compressed and rolled into a smaller box. White glove delivery, which will professionally unwrap and install your mattress, is available upon request.
The company recommends sturdy frames with stable centers, platforms, and/or new, high-quality box springs. A few foundations, including a coolControl™ foundation that can heat and cool your mattress to your preferred temperature, are available on the company’s website.
Settling into the mattress, most sleepers should feel the gentle contouring of the foam pillow top and will likely sleep more on top of the luxury firm than inside it. Heavier sleepers and those who side sleep might feel themselves engaging the second gel-infused foam layer for extra pressure relief and contouring.
As you reposition on the mattress, the fast response and bounce from the springs should help you feel less stuck and more mobile on the bed
Firmness Scale: 4.5 (Soft) 6.5/10 (Luxury Firm) 7.5 (Firm)
The superior pressure relief in this bed stems from both the soft pillowtop foam and the second layer of gel-infused foam. As you sink into the bed, it should contour to your curves and allow the heavier spots to sink into a gentle cradle.
The tufted cover feels plush and luxurious to the touch and responds quickly to pressure. There is less sinkage compared to some hybrids and many all-foam designs, but both the foam layers and the micro-coil unit should contour to your curves and evenly distribute your weight to relieve pressure across the surface of the bed. This should also help reduce motion transfer, which is great news for couples and combo sleepers.
Support isn’t just for heavier sleepers; we all benefit from targeted support to keep our hips from sinking in too far and throwing our spines out of alignment. Additionally, support aids repositioning and has the potential to extend the life of a bed.
WinkBed’s support system relies on two distinct pocketed coil units, which make its level of support hard to beat. One is specially designed to contour to your curves while the other keeps your weight evenly distributed and spine straight. This not only means that the mattress should support virtually any sleeping position but that it will support you as you reposition, providing some bounce and quick response, so you shouldn’t wake up as often.
Multiple Firmness Options
While this review mainly focuses on the Luxury Firm model, WinkBeds also has a Plus model for heavier folks, a Softer model for lighter sleepers, and the Firmer option for those who want a little more support than the Luxury Firm offers.
Optional White Glove Delivery
White glove delivery is available upon request for those who don’t want to deal with moving the mattress into their home or the setup process. This system should be clean, efficient, and ultimately convenient.
WinkBed ships free directly to your door, rolled and compressed into a box. With a quick and easy setup, most users should be ready to sleep on their bed as soon as it’s completely decompressed.
With gel-infused foams and two separate innerspring layers, air should continuously circulate through the mattress, wicking heat away from the body and keeping sleepers cool.
Exceptional Edge Support
WinkBed included a 4.5-inch thick high-density foam rail around the perimeter of the bed for added edge support. This increases the usable surface area of the bed, creating more room for couples and just making it easier to sleep on the edge.
The two layers of individually pocketed coils increase the level of bounce in the mattress, which is great for repositioning and couples. With higher bounce, you’re less likely to feel stuck in the mattress.
The WinkBed cover is made from Tencel, sustainably produced and biodegradable material. Additionally, all the foams have a CertiPUR-US® Certification verifying that they contain safe amounts of potentially harmful substances.
Adjustable Base Compatible
WinkBed is adjustable base compatible so long as it has a solid or slatted base. The company sells a few adjustable bases on its website for those who are shopping for a new model.
Handcrafted in the USA
All WinkBeds are sourced and handcrafted in the United States, putting many ethical concerns to rest. Because the beds are handcrafted, you can expect a small amount of variance between the beds.
The foams in WinkBed are CertiPUR-US Certified, meaning they have been evaluated by a third party and found to have a safe amount of potentially harmful substances, protecting your indoor air quality.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - WinkBed ships free within the U.S. rolled up and compressed into a box.
- Trial - The company offers a 120-night trial period to decide if your new bed is right for you. If you decide it doesn’t meet your expectations, WinkBed will refund you and arrange to have the bed picked up free of charge.
- Warranty -WinkBed offers the rare lifetime full-replacement warranty. The bed was made to last through the years, but if you have any questions, we recommend consulting the company directly.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)*||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,049|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,149|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13.5”||$1,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,599|
|King||76” x 80” x 13.5”||$1,799|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13.5”||$1,849|
WinkBed is a luxury hybrid bed with a variety of comfort features that should make it a versatile pick for most sleeping positions. With eco-conscious materials sourced and assembled in the U.S., the company also makes ethical strides in the mattress industry.
This bed includes multiple firmness options, so side sleepers can decide which firmness they prefer based on our review. Each model utilizes zoned support in the coil system to allow the torso and shoulders to sink inappropriately, gently contouring and relieving pressure.
The individually wrapped coil support system features targeted back support, pushing back in the areas with more pressure while compressing in the areas with less pressure, keeping the spine straight, which is perfect for back sleepers.
While the Luxury Firm is probably firm enough for most stomach sleepers, those who prefer extra support or who are significantly heavier may prefer one of the firmer models. With seven zones of support in the coil system and comfort layers for pressure relief, this bed should easily keep the spine aligned.
WinkBeds should be suitable for most sleeping positions, and with some extra bounce and quick response, it should be easy to roll over and reposition without awakening. This company offers several specific feels, and those who like to switch between different positions may find it difficult to choose a firmness perfect for all positions.
With good motion isolation, most couples should be comfortable on this bed and be able to reposition without waking each other—but this bed offers much more. With noticeable bounce for potentially better sex, reinforced edge support for more surface area, and versatility of sleeping positions, we don’t see many couples needing to compromise with this bed. If you and your partner have significantly different preferences, however, it may prove difficult to choose a firmness.
The Luxury Firm should be a great choice for most sleepers, but those who are significantly heavier might prefer the Plus or the Firmer model for more support.
With zoned support, two comfort layers, and gentle contouring, most lighter sleepers should sleep well on the Luxury Firm. However, if you are exceptionally lightweight or need extra pressure relief for sore spots, you might want to try the Softer model.
WinkBed has managed to fit nearly every comfort, support, and convenient feature possible into their Luxury Firm model. Versatile enough for most sleeping positions, great for couples, and ideal for most body types, we’d say WinkBed is worth its luxury price.