Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
If you want a luxury style mattress, you have to go to a store, right? Wrong. Or so says, DreamCloud, who launched this bed as one of the very first luxury bed-in-a-box choices offered at an affordable price.
In 2019, the company made some updates, and this memory-foam hybrid currently stands 15 inches tall and has 6 layers inside. In our DreamCloud mattress review, we’ll be discussing items like the bed’s edge support, how well it isolates motion, and how it relieves pressure.
In a hurry? Go ahead and jump to the end to see how we scored the beds in different categories depending on what kind of sleeper you are. If you want to know the recipe in this super tall mattress, read on!
Who Do We Think Matches With DreamCloud?
- In-The-Bed Sleepers – If you like to nestle into your bed and feel that great pressure relief that comes from a memory foam hug, this may be the right choice.
- Value Seekers – You want to treat yourself and invest in a great bed, but you don’t want to break your budget. This brand offers a lot of mattress for your dollar, and we think that it represents a pretty great value.
- People Who Take Forever to Decide – If you’re the type of person who likes to test things out at your own pace, this company’s giving you a year to jump around on this mattress and make sure it’s your perfect fit. If it’s not, send it back and they’ll issue a refund.
Possible DreamCloud Complaints:
- Stomach Sleep Support – DreamCloud sits at a true medium and has a cozy sink and enveloping hug. This may not be the perfect recipe for stomach sleepers, especially those who are heavier than average and need extra support in this position.
- Mobility Concerns – That cushy sink-into-sleep feeling of a EuroTop and memory foam does wonders for pressure relief, but if you’re someone who struggles to move around on your bed, you might want a brand with a gentler cradle.
DreamCloud is owned by Resident, a rapidly growing furniture company that is adding a lot of brands and furnishings to their line. They have a line of rugs, sofas, and even beanbags. By keeping their business online and shipping directly to consumers, they aim to keep prices affordable while still offering great quality.
The Resident Team started out in San Francisco making a mattress called Nectar, but as of 2019, the company has offices in 15 different cities in 5 countries. Their brand currently features four different brands, all reviewed on our website.
Construction: What’s In It?
DreamCloud, which ships vacuum-sealed in a box, is a hybrid mattress mixing springs with foams to offer a blend of comfort and support. It works on most bases boxsprings you might have in your house, including adjustable frames.
The cover is a durable polyester that is quilted to 1.5 inches of foam to give the bed a EuroTop. In total, this brand has 6 layers, two of which are built into the cover. In total, it stands 15 inches tall.
- The third layer following the two layers in the EuroTop is made from a gel-swirl memory foam that’s built to conform to your body and offer relief to pressure points while remaining cool by letting the heat dissipate through the gel.
- The fourth layer is 2.5 inches of foam that acts as a transitional layer of firmer support that helps ease the body into the supportive coils beneath.
- The fifth layer is made out of 8 inches of pocketed coils that are reinforced around the edges to strengthen the perimeter and offer more space.
- The sixth layer is another 1.5-inch layer of foam that cushions the coils and forms the foundation of the mattress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Unboxing is really simple, and there are handles placed on the side to help you move it into place. And that’s a good thing because it’s a large mattress with an impressive silhouette. Be aware when choosing fittings or box springs for this mattress that you take into account its impressive height.
Straight out of the box, the bed takes some time to fully expand into its full 15-inch height. There is some manufacturing smell to the mattress, but this should dissipate if you let it air out before putting your sheets and bedding onto it.
Laying down on it, it should feel very plush and soft, and the cover feels well-made and durable. DreamCloud’s EuroTop hugs the body as the memory foam layer conforms to your curves, giving you a more “in-the-bed” feel that works to keep your body straight with the coils.
Firmness Scale: 5.5/10
Our bodies are built with curves and not straight lines, and this means that our weight will often exert pressure on parts of our body in areas (especially hips and shoulders) when lying down. This brand addresses this concern using a combination of soft comfort foams, conforming memory materials, and transitional support to ensure that the body’s shape is accommodated and curves are supported. Your body should feel suspended in this mattress as it evenly cradles common pressure points and wipes away strain.
DreamCloud starts their support system with foam, which is helpful for heavier sleepers who can sometimes bottom out through pillowy tops onto the firmer support system. Beneath the transitional layer, there’s an 8-inch unit of pocketed coils that compress individually under the sleeper's weight and should offer more tailored support and even alignment for most sleepers.
This brand is compressed in the factory, wrapped in plastic and rolled into a bag for low-fuss delivery.
The top two layers of foam in this bed are quilted to the durable top, creating what’s known as a EuroTop finish (a type of pillow top), which gives the surface a pillowy, cloud-like look and feel.
Gel-Foam for Cooling
Memory foam can have the reputation of sleeping hot because of how close it conforms to the body and how little air tends to flow through it. This brand has infused their visco-elastic materials with gel which helps conduct the heat away from your body so it shouldn’t build up and become uncomfortable beneath your shape.
Coils around the edge of this mattress are designed with a thicker gauge wire so that the edges should retain their shape, even for sleepers who like to hug the edge of the mattress. Couples looking to share often appreciate firmer edges because it increases the bed’s usable surface space.
Great Motion Isolation
There are 5.5 inches of foam in the top of this mattress, including 1.5 inches of gel memory foam. This should work well to muffle most ordinary movements of partners getting in and out of bed or the restless tossing and turning of pets or children. The isolated coils also cut down on the transfer of vibrations, so this hybrid should work well for those who wake easily.
This certification indicates that the foams have undergone testing that looks for unsafe levels of VOCs and other harsh chemicals that have historically been part of the manufacturing process of polyurethane foams.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - This company ships for free within the United States, though there is a small fee assessed for shipments to Alaska and Hawaii. International shipping is not available at this time.
- White-Glove Delivery - Should you choose, the company offers an optional delivery service that will bring the bed into your home and set it up for you. This service is available in many locations, and the company is looking to expand its availability.
- Trial - DreamCloud offers one of the longest sleep trials in the business. You can try the brand for free in your home for a full year, and if you don’t love it, the company will arrange a refund and for the mattress to be donated to a local charity.
- Warranty - This brand is covered by a Lifetime warranty, which is only available to the bed’s original purchaser.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 15”||$899|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 15”||$1,099|
|Full||54” x 75” x 15”||$1,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 15”||$1,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 15”||$1,599|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 15”||$1,599|
The 2019 update delivers a DreamCloud that offers a great mix of soft pressure relief and support all wrapped up in a convenient box you can easily deliver into your bedroom.
This bed really excels in pressure relief due to the pillow top and memory foam layer in this position as the Eurotop hugs your shape, the lower gel memory foam should conform to your curves so wipe away pressure from hips and shoulders. These can be problem areas in this position because all of the sleeper's weight is concentrated on less surface area, but the combination of foams including a transition layer in DreamCloud should address these concerns nicely while working to keep the spine aligned.
Back sleepers can be accommodated by a number of different feels in mattresses and mostly it is a matter of taste. Those who like to sleep more in the bed should find that this brand can cradle their body evenly, securing filling in the curve of their lower back, and aligning their spine.
For stomach sleepers, a lot will depend on your weight and where you carry most of it. Those who are thicker through their middles may find that a bed this soft allows their hips to dip slightly in the prone position. Lighter sleepers should sleep comfortably, however, and enjoy the softness of the pillowtop.
Those who change position all night (combination sleepers) need to think about versatility and responsiveness in their mattress or how quickly a mattress can regain shape once the pressure is removed. Bounce or the push back against your weight in a bed can also assist with movement. DreamCloud may take a few seconds to respond, but you shouldn’t feel stuck as you might in some traditional memory beds, and the coils help out a lot with this. That said, if you regularly struggle with mobility, you may find this mattress slightly more difficult to navigate.
Beds in this medium-range tend to be quite versatile, and that’s a key attribute for couples looking for space to share. DreamCloud definitely serves a wide range of sizes and shapes in multiple sleep postures, and we’d definitely recommend it as a bed that’s great for couples. There’s not a ton of bounce, especially in the top layer, but the coils beneath are conducive to those with active sex lives.
More average weighted people will likely experience this bed like a true medium, as we have scored it. If you are heavier than average and especially if you weigh over 200 pounds, this bed will likely feel soft. The transition foams should cushion your weight and relieve pressure, however, alignment may be a concern when lying on your stomach. If you are right on the border weight-wise, remember that this company has an extremely generous sleep trial.
Those with slimmer builds who want a soft bed typically have to shop within 3-6 firmness range to find a mattress that cushions their weight without feeling overly firm or as if they’re on top of the mattress. Folks that are lighter should be able to sink through the Eurotop and enjoy the in-the-mattress feeling of this bed while still feeling well supported.
This brand packs a lot of value into a small box, and the materials used and especially the height are rare in the bed-in-the-box space. DreamCloud is offering a 15-inch mattress for hundreds if not thousands less than you might find in the retail space for a similar build. Pocketed coils, reinforced edges, and a Eurotop round out this bed and give it a high-end finish that shouldn’t break your bank.