Emma is a quickly-growing company based in Germany that aims to create foam mattresses conducive to optimal spinal alignment. Named TNW’s fastest-growing company in Germany and Europe, Emma is rapidly making a name for itself all over the world, and not just because they’re vegan.
A division of e-commerce sleep company Bettzeit, Emma believes in supporting their local economies, so they source many of their materials and labor close to home. Additionally, the company claims to recycle or responsibly dispose of all returned mattresses to cut down on waste.
Our In-Depth Emma Mattress Review will score the bed on a variety of measures to tell you everything you need to know to make an informed decision. We will evaluate everything from the Airgocell® cooling technology to the visco-elastic memory foam, totaling the benefits on a ten-point scale.
Read our analysis to get the full picture, or just scroll down to view our final score and conclusion about Emma.
You will love Emma if you:
- Prefer Supportive Memory Foam but Tend to Sleep Hot – Emma offers the traditional memory foam pressure point relief combined with cooling Airgocell® technology to keep air flowing through the material. The convoluted design serves the dual purpose of increasing airflow and support.
- Your Partner Frequently Repositions During the Night – Emma received good marks from the European Consumer Testing Association in the realm of motion transfer and is confident their tech will keep you sleeping soundly even if your partner is a constant pillow flipper.
- Need Lower Back or Shoulder Support – Emma’s HRX material layer is specially formulated to supply counter pressure and support both shoulders and lower back. This means whether you are a back or side sleeper, your spine should be in optimal alignment.
You might not like Emma if you:
- Prefer a firmer mattress – This bed should allow you to sink into a deeper cradle, enveloping curves. The good news is that this mattress was built to have a faster response time than most memory foam, so you should not have much trouble repositioning.
- Are Heavier Stomach Sleeper – This product offers premium spinal alignment to prevent back pain and improve sleep, but it has a 286 pound weight limit. If you are significantly heavier, you may not receive the support you need, especially if you sleep on your stomach.
Also you can see our other options for 2022 here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This mattress is designed to be compatible with any bed frame, and can even work effectively when used on a floor. So long as the dimensions match the mattress, customers should be good to go. The product arrives rolled up in a vacuum-sealed box and can be shipped to your door throughout the continental US.
The climate-regulating top cover is made with polyester and spandex that is designed to breathe and increase air circulation while keeping out heat and moisture. The durable cover is intended to completely protect the mattress, and as it can be zipped off and put directly into a washing machine. As the cover is durable, additional protection is likely unnecessary for most circumstances.
After decompressing, the bed stands twelve inches high and is composed of three layers of foam.
- The first layer is made of an inch and a half of Airgocell® foam that was designed to quickly respond to movement and pressure. This technology helps to increase responsiveness of the material, while contouring to cradle curves. The structure of the foam was specifically created to act like gel as it conducts heat away from the body.
- The second layer consists of two inches of Visco-Elastic memory foam, allowing you to sink into a deeper cradle that should specifically match the pressure you apply to the bed. This foam is meant to be progressive, meaning it should supply the correct level of support for each body type.
- The third layer is made of eight inches of HRX material, which provides counter-pressure to relieve pressure points while offering targeted support in the shoulder and lower back regions. This should allow side and back sleepers to sink in only in the right places for optimal spinal alignment.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rate this bed as a five out of ten on our firmness scale, with ten being the absolute firmest. This places the mattress in the medium-soft firmness range, which should help relieve pressure throughout the body without causing you to sink in and get stuck in the mattress.
While many traditional memory foam beds can sometimes make repositioning a lengthy process, Emma’s top layer is made with Airgocell® foam, which is extremely responsive without increasing bounce. This means tossing and turning should not feel like an uphill battle.
The memory foam layer is not so deep that it is undetectable. Its heat response will softly cradle pressure points without trapping sleepers. As the memory foam is only a few inches thick, the bed’s structure is bolstered by the bottom layer of support foam.
This mattress is not very bouncy on the top layers, however, the deeper you press, the more counter-pressure you will feel, though the memory foam cancels out most surface bounce.
This mattress is ideal for side sleepers, especially those with shoulder tenderness as the targeted support should allow them to sink in for pressure relief while the hips are elevated, properly aligning the spine.
For back sleepers, this bed is a great fit as long as you are comfortable with the deeper cradle. The bed aims to be able to support any type of sleeper with its intuitive pressure relief, but if you are carrying extra weight or prefer a firmer feel, it might feel a little too soft. This mattress’s weight limit is 286 pounds.
Stomach sleepers probably will not feel as comfortable on this mattress unless they are extremely light, as the soft feel may cause the stomach to sink into the mattress too deeply for optimal alignment.
Though the Emma has only a few inches of memory foam, it does remarkably well in the motion transfer arena. For those who share their beds with a partner, restless children, or pets, motion transfer is not a feature to gloss over. Emma’s layers of soft memory foams absorb shocks, allowing the bed to isolate movement.
Bed in box options are not generally known for their strong edge support, and Emma performs on par with the industry standard.
This softer bed allows sleepers to sink in and cozy up without overheating, but for those who prefer to sleep right on the edge, the sinkage might not provide enough support. Side sleepers and couples who like plenty of space may consider getting a larger size so no one has to sleep right on the edge.
- Trial Period – Emma is so sure you will enjoy sleeping on their mattress that they offer a 100-night trial period. If for any reason you decide it does not fit your needs in the first 100 nights, you can send it back for free, and Emma will even recycle or donate the mattress.
- Warranty – Every Emma mattress comes with a ten-year warranty covering the dimensional stability and durability of the core materials.
- Shipping – Emma ships free throughout the continental United States.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – All foams used to make the Emma have been tested according to third party standards to meet criteria based on the reduction of harmful substances such as formaldehyde and lead.
- 100% Vegan – The Emma mattress does not contain any animal-based materials.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$649|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$699|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,099|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,299|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,299|
Emma is a thoughtfully crafted medium-soft bed that allows sleepers to cozy up on cloud-like materials for a cool night of sleep.
The product’s unique materials and technology separate it from traditional bed in box options, combining cooling technology and targeted support structure to create all-night alignment without a high risk for night sweats or overheating.