The Saatva Latex Hybrid mattress aims to provide robust support, which is excellent news for individuals who struggle with spinal alignment. Those who rest on their back or stomach often find their hips uncomfortably sinking into a softer mattress. While these beds may feel luxurious to the touch, the lack of support can lead to discomfort and pain.
Despite the Saatva Latex's firm nature, the bed still offers considerable comfort. If you're looking for a quality mattress, the Saatva Latex Hybrid has a lot to offer. In this article, we'll discuss the various benefits the Saatva provides and considerations to look for so you can purchase with confidence.
Who We Recommend The Saatva Hybrid Latex For:
- Warm sleepers – Memory foam is famous for causing heat retention, a material this bed employs none of. Using 100 percent organic New Zealand wool, Talalay latex, and zoned pocketed coils, this bed combines multiple cooling materials to keep you comfortable.
- Stomach sleepers – The Saatva brand aims to provide excellent support for those with lower back pain by using robust lifting strategies in their design. Innersprings and five-zoned Talalay latex create strong support, offering firm spinal alignment
- Heavier folks – The Saatva Latex Hybrid provides excellent lumbar lift ideal for larger sleepers in need of spinal relief. This bed has a substantial feel yet preserves comfort, striking a delicate balance to help you rest with ease.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Saatva Hybrid Latex For:
- Lightweight side sleepers – Lightweight people should experience this Saatva as even firmer, which could be a concern for side sleepers weighing under 130 pounds. This is because these people might not weigh enough to activate the bed’s contouring layers, which could result in pressure build-up.
- Restless sleepers – There's a lot to love about this bed's robust lifting capabilities, as it should allow you to wake up refreshed with minimal back pain and hopefully lead to improved rest. However, springs aren't as forgiving as foam, which could be a consideration for couples if one person is a restless sleeper.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 7/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
The Saatva Latex Hybrid is a firm mattress that we rated 7 out of 10 on our firmness scale. The bed features a Euro top that contours your curves, but the real firmness comes from the 3-inch latex layer underneath the comfort layer. The Saatva Hybrid Latex is on the firmer side, so it should feel good for stomach and back sleeping. Some side sleepers, possibly those weighing above 170 pounds, may also like this firmness as they would activate the upper layers better.
How Does It Feel?
This Saatva Latex Hybrid falls squarely on the firmer side of the spectrum, but don't let that put you off; it also offers quality contouring and comfort. For those who struggle with mobility, back pain, and lumbar issues, this is an excellent mattress for its firm support. Additionally, the bed provides tremendous cooling efforts if you sleep warm due to its innerspring coils, which foster air circulation, a breathable cover, and the New Zealand wool layer wicking away moisture.
What We Like About the Saatva Hybrid Latex
- Eco-friendly materials – This Saatva features hypoallergenic latex, organic cotton, and GOTS-certified New Zealand wool. In addition, the mattress comes with multiple safety certifications that indicate it’s safe and free of harmful substances.
- Cooling features – The Saatva Hybrid Latex mattress has coils that help foster airflow to keep the bed’s surface cool. On top of that, Talalay latex is naturally temperature neutral, and there’s the New Zealand wool that helps wick away moisture.
- Pocketed coil unit – There’s much to love about this bed’s coil unit. The steel coils are individually wrapped and ergonomically zoned to offer enhanced support in the lumbar area, which is where you need it the most.
Our Saatva Hybrid Latex Complaints
- Too firm for some sleepers – This firmer mattress provides comfort with less contouring. Although the latex in this bed should offer good pressure relief, the firm feel may be too much for some people, especially those weighing less than average.
- Higher price point – Saatva is a luxury brand that makes high-quality mattresses using premium materials. This is reflected in their performance and durability but also the higher price point that may not be for everyone’s pocket.
Testing the Saatva Hybrid Latex Mattress: How it Performed
We tested this Saatva mattress to get a better understanding of how the latex and coils perform together. This allowed us to evaluate how the bed would feel for stomach, side, and back sleepers, depending on their body weight. In addition, we also tested for edge support, cooling, motion isolation, bounce, and pressure relief, all of which are important for shoppers.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
The Saatva Latex Hybrid mattress can support up to 300 pounds per sleeper, which is 600 pounds total for those who share a bed. The bed is designed to handle heavier sleepers and couples without showing signs of wear and tear. Going over the weight limit may shorten its lifespan, though.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★☆☆||★★☆||★★☆
|Average-weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★★★|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆
- Lightweight Sleepers – This bed should feel even firmer for lightweight side sleepers as they may not weigh enough to access the best cushioning from the upper layers. This can sometimes lead to pressure build-up.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers should find the Saatva Latex Hybrid comfortable enough, especially if they weigh more than 170 pounds. The upper layers should offer enough contouring while the coils help keep the spine aligned.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – The Saatva Latex Hybrid feels softer for heavy side sleepers, which is excellent for those who struggle with pressure build-up. Heavy sleepers should sink just enough to get maximum relief without bottoming out.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight back sleepers are not at risk of sinking in this mattress. They don’t need as much contouring, so the Saatva should feel good in this position.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight back sleepers get the perfect balance of pressure relief and support from the latex and coils underneath. The bed’s firm nature keeps the hips and shoulders from sinking in.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy sleepers may experience the Saatva Latex Hybrid as softer, but it should still feel firm enough to support the heaviest body parts like your shoulders and hips.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should find sufficient support in this Saatva as its firm structure maintains the hips aligned with the rest of the body. However, it may still be too firm for this group of people, depending on their preferences.
- Average Weight Sleepers – People weighing 130 to 230 pounds should find the same support level, although those weighing closer to 230 pounds may find the bed a tad softer.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Sleepers weighing over 230 might sink a bit more, but the ergonomic zoning in the lumbar area should keep the hips from sinking too deeply into the upper layers.
Pressure Relief & Pain
This bed's layer of natural latex is specifically designed to offer supreme lumbar support and pressure-point relief. The five zones contain various densities to accommodate the diverse needs of the human body.
The Saatva Latex Hybrid thoughtfully considers common pains with the zoned pocketed coils and five-zone latex layer. The recycled steel coils contour and cradle the body to bring relief to stressed regions, and the latex works further to cushion the lumbar area and provide superior comfort.
Back Pain – People with back pain should benefit from Saatva’s five-zone natural latex layer that enhances lumbar support for those in need of relief. Since it’s also good for back sleeping, the Saatva Latex Hybrid should be a good choice for this type of pain.
Hip Pain – Hip pain can be particularly tough for side sleepers, so having a bed that can melt away discomfort in this area can help significantly. The Saatva Latex Hybrid is good for average-weight and heavy side sleepers and should provide relief by cradling the hips.
Shoulder Pain – Shoulder pain is another common issue side sleepers may struggle with. People with shoulder pain should try sleeping on their back, and the good news here is the Saatva Latex Hybrid is great for back sleeping. Side sleeping on this bed, especially if you’re lighter in weight, might worsen your discomfort if you can’t activate the top latex layer.
This hybrid mattress excels in the support department with two separate lifting systems. The recycled steel coils work to contour your frame and provide robust support, maintaining spinal alignment. Further, the layer of latex firmly lifts the lumbar region with its zoned support design, simultaneously providing soft pressure relief and cool breathability.
The reinforced coils at the perimeter work to offer substantial support around the edges, letting sleepers utilize the full surface of the bed without uncomfortable sagging. The firm core provides a supportive structure for multiple sleep postures, lifting the hips for stomach and back sleepers, and the soft top layers contour side sleepers who need more pressure relief.
The Saatva Latex Hybrid has a combination of latex and coils to provide a balance of support and pressure relief. Although it excels in both these areas, it’s more lacking when it comes to motion isolation. Latex is bouncier than memory foam, which is why this bed doesn’t do as well in isolating motion and preventing it from transferring from one side to the other. This could be a concern for some couples if one person is a restless sleeper and the other is a light one.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
This Saatva hybrid mattress is excellent for hot sleepers as it has coils that encourage airflow, thus preventing the construction from overheating. In addition, the organic cotton cover is breathable and crisp to the touch, while the wool material enhances moisture wicking and cooling.
Latex is also naturally temperature neutral, and this layer has ventilated air channels to enhance the breathability hot sleepers should benefit from.
Performance for Couples
The Saatva Latex Hybrid has ergonomic firmness zones to adapt to all bodies in different sleeping positions. The bed has excellent edge support thanks to coils that go from one edge of the bed to the other, which allows couples to spread across the mattress. However, one thing to keep in mind is that it doesn’t have as much motion isolation, which may be a concern for some.
Organic Mattress Pad
For an additional cost, you can add a luxurious mattress pad for extra cushioning and plush comfort. The 100 percent organic cotton pad offers breathable protection and wicks away moisture, and the extra-wide elastic bands work to prevent shifting.
Free White Glove Delivery
Each Saatva Latex Hybrid comes with complimentary White Glove Delivery. All you have to do is worry about your payment details, and Saatva will do the rest, hand-delivering and setting up your new bed and foundation without hassle. They'll even remove your old mattress free of charge, simply check for free mattress removal at checkout.
Innerspring brands allow for natural air circulation, which helps hot air escape the bed and cooler air circulate. Further, the upper layer of wool wicks away moisture and regulates temperature, limiting overheating at night.
Spirit of Giving
Saatva uses its position to give back to its community. They offer discounts to first responders, healthcare workers, military members, teachers, students, government employees, and the elderly.
Handcrafted in the USA
The brand utilizes domestic labor to handcraft each of its products under the strict regulations and guidelines we employ in the U.S. This helps you to purchase a product without the worry of child labor or exploitation practices.
Construction: What’s Inside Saatva Hybrid Latex?
All Saatva Latex hybrid mattresses are a total of 12 inches high and are covered with a soft, breathable organic cotton cover. The hand-tufted Euro-top cushion is GOTS certified, meaning it demands the most stringent human and environmental safety standards, making it the world's highest organic standard. Finally, the bed is finished with Saatva's exclusive Guardin® antimicrobial botanical treatment, which makes it a good option for people with allergies.
- Under the cover is the cooling wool layer with remarkable cooling capabilities. Wool's unique fibers wick moisture away from the skin, helping individuals stay cool through warm nights. Wool is also a natural fire barrier as it doesn’t contain any fiberglass or chemical flame retardants.
- The 5-zone natural latex helps provide pressure relief through zoned support. Five special regions work together to relieve pressure points and aid the lumbar area for a restful and rejuvenating sleep. Plus, this material is 100 percent natural and hypoallergenic.
- Three zones of recycled steel coils contour and respond to your body's movements for delicate yet strong support, aiding in spinal alignment, and offering excellent edge reinforcement. If you struggle with mobility, the edges offer increased stability to get in and out of bed with ease.
- The organic cotton and wool base securely anchors the product, which should prevent shifting and maximize stability for long-term, reliable comfort.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
Saatava doesn’t ship their mattresses in a box, so expect to receive the Latex Hybrid mattress in its full size. Although it may be cumbersome to move from your front door to the bedroom, this kind of shipping means you can use your mattress the moment it arrives. On top of that, Saatva offers free White Glove Delivery, so you don’t have to hassle trying to set up the mattress. Unlike bed-in-a-box mattresses, the Saatva Latex Hybrid doesn’t have to unroll or decompress. In addition, it shouldn’t have any initial odors because natural latex doesn’t typically produce off-gassing.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This product has a GREENGUARD Gold certification that reflects the product’s ability to meet some of the world’s most rigorous emissions standards, and its eco-INSTITUT® certification, completed by a lab in Germany with 30 years of experience in the mattress industry, signifies that the company has gone above and beyond to ensure levels of hazardous chemicals are well-below safety regulation requirements.
- Certified Natural Materials – Cotton in the cover is GOTS-certified, which means the cotton meets the international third-party standard to be certified organic. The mattress’ second layer and tufting yarn are made from GOTS-certified wool. The latex is certified by GOLS.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the United States.
- White Glove Delivery – Professional installation is included within the price and arranged at your time of purchase. Saatva will even remove your old mattress for free, saving you the hassle.
- Trial – You can keep this bed for 365 nights to make sure it’s the bed of your dreams.
- Warranty – The mattress comes with a lifetime warranty.
- Return Policy – Saatva accepts returns within the trial period, but you’ll have to pay a transportation fee to cover gas and pickup labor. The company does offer a full refund.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||$1,295|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$1,495|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,995|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$2,195|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,595|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$2,595|
|Split King||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,990|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is a latex hybrid mattress good for side sleepers?
Latex hybrid mattresses can be good for side sleepers, depending on their firmness level and the sleeper’s body weight. The Saatva Latex Hybrid is a good option for side sleepers as the latex allows some contouring needed in this position. However, this latex hybrid, in particular, may be too firm for lightweight side sleepers.
What kind of latex is used in the Saatva?
The Saatva Latex Hybrid features natural Talalay latex. The material is eco-friendly, bouncy, and cooling, adding to the bed’s overall appeal. Latex makes this Saatva bed responsive, which is also good for people with mobility issues.
Do Saatva mattresses sag over time?
This Saatva mattress shouldn’t sag as it’s a hybrid designed to last for at least 10 years with proper use and care. To ensure longevity, make sure to use the right bed foundation and stay under the weight limit.
Saatva vs Other Brands
Saatva Latex Hybrid vs. Nectar Premier Hybrid
- Eco-friendly materials
- Talalay latex
- Made in the USA
- 7 layers
- 13-inch profile
- 365-night trial
Who We Recommend Saatva Latex Hybrid For
- People with back pain
- People with allergies
- Stomach sleepers
Who We Recommend the Nectar Premier Hybrid For
- Average-weight people
- Restless sleepers
Check out our full Nectar Premier Hybrid Mattress Review.
Saatva Latex Hybrid vs. Helix Midnight
- 365-night trial
- Lifetime warranty
- Certified cotton cover
- 10-year warranty
- 100-night trial
- Optional GlacioTex cover
Who We Recommend the Saatva Latex Hybrid For
- Hot sleepers
- Heavy people
- Luxury shoppers
Who We Recommend the Helix Midnight For
- Budget shoppers
- People with pressure build-up
- Average-weight sleepers
Interested? Read our full Helix Midnight Mattress Review.
Saatva Latex Hybrid vs. Other Saatva Models
Saatva Latex Hybrid vs. Saatva Loom & Leaf
- Latex and wool
- Firm feel
- Hybrid construction
- Classic foam feel
- 12-inch profile
- Two firmness options
Who We Recommend the Saatva Latex Hybrid For
- Back sleepers
- Lightweight stomach sleepers
- Warm sleepers
Who We Recommend the Saatva Loom & Leaf For
- People with allergies
- Sleepers with back pain
Learn more in our Loom & Leaf Mattress Review.
Saatva Latex Hybrid vs. Saatva HD
- Zoned pocketed coils
- Gentle cradle
- Cooling comfort
- 12.5-gauge steel coils
- Breathable design
- 5 layers
Who We Recommend the Saatva Latex Hybrid For
- Average-weight sleepers
- Eco-conscious shoppers
- People looking for affordable luxury
Who We Recommend the Saatva HD For
- Heavy people
- People looking for edge support
- Luxury shoppers
Check out our Saatva HD Mattress Review.
The Saatva Latex Hybrid is a luxury mattress at an affordable price, and we think the firm structure with pressure-relieving top layers should suit a variety of individuals.
Side sleepers should benefit from the latex's pressure-point relief and the individually wrapped coils for curve contouring around the shoulders and hips; this should soothe aches and pains and provide plenty of spinal alignment and support. Lightweight side sleepers looking for extra relief may want to consider a softer mattress.
This bed offers a fantastic option for back sleepers due to the thoughtful care that went into the latex layer's lumbar support and contouring. Most back sleepers should be well-served by this mattress, and its buoyant nature will have you feeling firmly “on top” of the bed, preventing uncomfortable sinkage.
Stomach sleepers often struggle with spinal alignment as the hips, which carry more weight, tend to sink in this position. As a result, this can wreak havoc on proper back posture. However, most stomach sleepers should achieve excellent alignment and quality slumber due to the firm design and robust support.
Repositioning should be comfortable on this mattress due to the high response and bounce the recycled steel coils provide and the firm yet contouring latex. The design is well-suited for back sleepers, stomach sleepers, and many side sleepers, making it a good choice for those who often reposition through the night.
Couples looking for quality edge support to maximize usable space should appreciate this hybrid model. The individually wrapped coils and Euro top should soften vibrations that might disrupt sleepers. However, due to the buoyant and bouncy nature of the build, the motion transfer might be slightly higher.
Considerably heavier folks can sometimes struggle to find a mattress that can accommodate their weight without feeling like they're sleeping on a concrete slab. The diversity of the support systems and Euro top helps to ensure a comfortable bed for people in most weight classes while still combining quality pressure relief with robust support.
Lighter than average sleepers may not be able to appreciate this model unless they like sleeping on their stomach. People weighing under 130 pounds may not be heavy enough to sink deep enough to experience pressure relief, especially if they sleep on their sides. Without activating the coil layers and zoned support, the Loom & Leaf model will likely provide a better alternative.
Average Weight Sleepers
The Saatva Latex Hybrid should be good for people weighing 130 to 230 pounds, but this largely depends on their exact weight and preferred sleeping position. Average-weight stomach and back sleepers should find a balance of pressure relief and support, but they might find it too firm for side sleeping if they’re closer to 130 pounds.
The Saatva Latex Hybrid packs a lot of value, and the thoughtful design should provide a hefty return on your investment. The innovative layers containing New Zealand wool, five-zoned natural latex, and pocketed coils offer pressure relief, contouring, and strong support for excellent spinal alignment that should grant you pain-free mornings for years to come.
After testing the Saatva Latex Hybrid, we can safely say it’s a comfortable and versatile mattress that should last many years. The hybrid construction allows breathability and added support, enhanced by ergonomic firmness zones that make it easy for the bed to adapt to your body. This Saatva mattress works for most people, although some may experience it as softer or firmer depending on their weight.
Nonetheless, natural materials stacked to deliver bounce, support, and pressure relief don’t disappoint. In addition, Saatva added a lifetime warranty and a 365-night trial for you to test the mattress yourself before deciding if it’s the right choice for your sleeping habits.
Rachael is a content writer for Sleep Advisor who loves combining her enthusiasm for writing and wellness. She’s had a passion for writing since she was a kid when she wrote awful poetry. She’s honed her craft quite a bit since then and considers herself a lucky duck to get paid to do what she loves.
Embracing the remote work life, she occasionally takes her work on the road and lives out her travel writer pipe dream.
In her free time, she attempts to meditate regularly, rides her bike to Trader Joe’s, and enjoys trying every type of food that she can get her hands on.