The tech-driven Nolah brand includes the Nolah Original, the Nolah Signature, and now their most innovative and popular design yet, the Evolution.
Nolah's previous designs relied on all-foam models. However, the Evolution combines a Euro top, along with other premium foam layers, with innerspring coils to offer reinforced support and contouring. The Evolution also gives you a choice between three different firmness options: Plush, Luxury Firm, and Firm.
How did this high-tech mattress perform when we tested it? We’ll cover its performance and more in our in-depth Nolah Evolution review. Our review focuses on the Luxury Firm model, which provides the most versatile feel.
Watch Our Nolah Evolution Video Review
Who We Recommend the Nolah Evolution For:
- All sleep positions – The Nolah Evolution is available in three firmness levels: Plush, Luxury Firm, and Firm. This range of options helps the mattress accommodate all sleeping positions.
- Fans of a hybrid design – The Nolah Evolution uses a hybrid design that combines made with memory foam, an excellent material for pressure relief, with a patented innerspring coil unit that provides support and airflow. This gives sleepers the best of both worlds by offering the benefits of two mattress types.
- Warm sleepers – The Evolution uses advanced technology to cater to those who run hot at night. A layer of cooling Nolah AirFoamICE™ draws heat away from your body for cooling comfort.
Who We Don’t Recommend the Nolah Evolution For:
- Stomach sleepers seeking support – Individuals who enjoy resting on their stomach may notice their hips slightly dipping into this mattress. When your hips aren't supported properly, it can cause pressure to build up, leaving you prone to aches and pains. This is especially true if you carry more weight since you naturally sink into the mattress more. In this case, the Firm version may be better for heavier stomach sleepers.
- Lovers of all-foam beds – Hybrid mattresses can provide plenty of benefits like extra support and cooling, but people who enjoy the huggable feel of an all-foam bed may prefer a different mattress. In this case, we would recommend Nolah’s all-foam Original model.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 5/10 (Plush) 6.5/10 (Luxury Firm) 8/10 (Firm)
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
We rate mattress firmness on a 1-10 scale with 10 being the most firm. The Nolah Evolution’s Luxury Firm model scored a 6.5 out of 10, otherwise known as medium-firm.
This mid-range firmness level should work for most sleep positions since it provides enough cushioning for pressure relief without compromising on support. Average-weight sleepers should enjoy this mattress the most, while lightweight sleepers and heavyweight sleepers may be better suited with either the Plush or Firm model depending on their sleeping position.
We ranked the Plush model a 5 out of 10, which means it’s on the softer side of medium-firm, while the Firm model earned an 8 out of 10 from us.
How Does It Feel?
As you ease into the bed, the foam layers provide gentle contouring, and the transition layer of high-resilience foam lowers you into the reinforced coil system. The springs offer tri-zoned relief and quality lift for healthy spinal alignment.
The Luxury Firm and Firm Nolah Evolution mattresses feel sturdier, providing less contouring than the Plush model. Additionally, these are more supportive and unlikely to let your body sink too deeply into the mattress construction, and this makes the firmer models better for back and stomach sleepers.
What We Like About the Nolah Evolution
- Luxury experience – This hybrid mattress is made up from nine layers of high-quality materials, including an organic, breathable mattress cover, a quilted Euro top, three foam comfort layers, and 8-inch thick support coils.
- Relieves pressure points – The quilted Euro top and multiple foam layers help contour along pressure points so side sleepers should wake pain free.
- Keeps you cool – If you sleep hot, you should enjoy the Evolution’s many cooling features. It uses proprietary AirFoamICE™ to draw heat away from your body as well as a breathable cover to keep the surface cool. The coil design also promotes ample airflow.
Our Nolah Evolution Complaints
- On the pricier side – for consumers who are watching their budgets, they may want to consider more affordable mattress options.
- It takes two – This mattress is heavier and thicker than most since it contains nine layers. You will likely need help when moving it and it may take up more space than other mattresses of similar size.
- Stomach sleepers may sink – Heavyweight stomach sleepers may feel as if they push too far down into this mattress. The firm option of the Evolution may be a better option for these sleepers.
Testing the Nolah Evolution: How it Performed
We tested the Nolah Evolution in each sleep position to get an idea of who this mattress is best suited for. Apart from measuring how it performed in each position, we also examined its performance in categories like pressure relief, support, and motion isolation. Body weight can also affect how you experience a mattress so we made sure to consider this factor as well.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
Nolah states that a King-size Nolah Evolution mattress can hold a combined weight of 700 pounds (or 350 pounds per side), while the Queen-size version has a weight tolerance of 300 pounds per side. These weight capacities along with its supportive hybrid design make the Nolah Evolution suitable for many types of sleepers as well as couples.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★★|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★★|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★★||★★☆||★★☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers should get great pressure relief thanks to the Evolutin’s contouring abilities. The upper foam layers, from the quilted Euro top to the high-density transition foam, provide cushioning for the shoulders and hips.
- Average Weight Sleepers – For average-weight side sleepers this mattress may be like hitting the sleep lottery. The Evolution should provide consistent spine alignment and pressure relief around the shoulders and hips – areas that normally absorb a lot of pressure for side sleepers.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight sleepers tend to sink further into the mattress than other sleepers, although the Nolah Evolution is well-equipped for this. These sleepers should find plenty of pressure relief with this mattress, while the coil base offers adequate support.
- Lightweight Sleepers – For petite sleepers who tend to stay on their back, the innerspring coils should provide them balanced support. The upper foam layers should also gently cradle their back without feeling overly firm.
- Average Weight Sleepers – If you have an average BMI and sleep on your back, you should be happy with the Nolah Evolution. This hybrid mattress provides great lumbar support, while the foam layers fill in the lower back and shoulders for pressure relief.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – When it comes to heavyweight back sleepers, this mattress should make a comfortable choice. The springs of this hybrid model provide tri-zoned relief and quality lift for healthy spinal alignment, although sleepers closer to 300 pounds may prefer the Firm model for even greater support.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Those who are lightweight and prefer sleeping on their stomachs should find that the innerspring coils in this mattress gives them ample support around their hips, and the multiple layers of foam should present comfortable contouring.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers should be able to drift off to dreamland feeling both comforted and supported thanks to the plush softness of the top layers combined with sturdy support of the zoned coils.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavyweight stomach sleepers may feel that they sink too far down through the foam layers. This is particularly true if they carry a lot of weight around their hips, which may cause pressure build-up. As such, these sleepers may want to opt for the Firm model.
Pressure Relief & Pain
The Nolah Evolution hybrid mattress should provide pressure relief to a variety of body types and sleep position preferences. The variety of foams offers a valuable solution to hip and shoulder pain. In addition, the Euro top combined with the AirFoamICE™ layer helpd relieve stress around common problem-areas like hips and shoulders. Underneath these layers, the supportive high-resilience foam offers quality contouring and cradling for even deeper pressure relief.
Sleepers seeking even more pressure relief, however, should look at the Plush version.
Back Pain – Nolah states that the Evolution's 8-inch HDMax™ Tri-Zone™ coils provide 25 percent more support than typical springs. Sleepers should experience increased pressure relief and lumbar support that can help alleviate back pain.
Hip Pain – People with hip pain should try to sleep on their back or stomach to avoid putting pressure in this area, but they can also turn to a mattress like the Nolah Evolution. The multiple foam layers help cradle the hips while the base layer of coils should keep your spine aligned.
Shoulder Pain – Shoulder pain is often caused by putting excess weight on a relatively small part of your body. The balanced firmness level and zoned coils should help the Nolah Evolution stave off shoulder pain by providing pressure relief and support for spine alignment.
A bed that reinforces proper spinal alignment while still providing quality relief can be a difficult combination to find. We spend a lot of time in bed, so maintaining good back posture while you sleep is critical for our long-term health and keeping spinal issues at bay.
The Nolah Evolution's Patented HDMax™ Coils and durable edge support work together to give sleepers robust lift and strong edges without compromising the softer layers. Strengthening the entire structure, the Eco-Friendly Foundation Layer stabilizes the tri-zone coils for long-lasting durability.
Thanks to the plethora of foam layers in this mattress, there is little motion transfer. This means that the tossing, turning or early rising of one partner should not affect the other one. The foam helps isolate motion further so partners should enjoy a peaceful night’s rest with each other on this mattress.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Innerspring and hybrid beds deliver natural air circulation due to the ample space between the coils, which helps hot air dissipate and allows cooler air in. For optimal cooling, the Nolah Evolution implemented multiple cooling features into their Evolution model so that hot sleepers can rest comfortably. These cooling features include the HTC cooling topper, the ArcticTEX™ cover, AirFoamICE™, and a heat-dissipating border gusset, all of which work to stave off excess body heat and redirect it so that the mattress stays cool and breathable.
Performance for Couples
A great mattress for couples should excel in key areas like support, motion isolation, bounce, and cooling. We’re happy to report that the Nolah Evolution does just that. The patented system of coils in the Nolah Evolution gives the mattress exceptional edge support, and the multiple layers of foam provide excellent motion isolation. This coil system also promotes excellent bounce, which is especially helpful for sexually-active couples.
Nolah makes it easy to save money while maximizing value. The brand is so confident in its products that its trial period is optional. If you'd like to save $100, you can forgo this option, putting money back in your pocket. You can also select mattress setup and removal for an additional fee, add a protector, or a fresh pair of bamboo sheets.
This hybrid bed's Euro top adds extra comfort and pressure relief that many traditional coil beds lack. By providing an additional plush touch, a Euro top gives the mattress a more luxurious feel and soothes pressure points.
Nolah offers this bed in three firmness levels, making it easy for sleepers to find one that best suits their needs. The Plush Nolah Evolution is an excellent option for side sleepers as it excels in preventing pressure from building up in sensitive areas. On the other hand, the Luxury Firm and Firm are great for back and stomach sleepers seeking more support.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Nolah Evolution works well on adjustable bases as well as platform beds.
Handcrafted in the USA
This Colorado-based company has opted to keep operations local, preferring to use domestic manufacturing to ensure hands-on involvement and top quality.
Construction: What’s Inside the Nolah Evolution?
The Evolution bed brings a lot to the table, bolstering pressure relief with dynamic foams and enhancing cooling capabilities with modern foam technology. The layers remain the same with all three firmness levels, as the only thing that changes is the general feel of the mattress.
- An organic cotton cover creates a breathable and soft surface to help keep hot sleepers cool and dry at the surface.
- Next, comes a cooling quilted HTC™ Euro top encased in two inches of cooling ArcticTex™ fibers equipped with high-thermal conductivity.
- This 2-inch AirBreath™ Heat Escape Gusset is designed to help disperse heat, preventing added warmth from accumulating in the mattress.
- Under the Euro Topper lies two inches of Nolah's patented Nolah AirFoamICE™ cooling layer. It’s graphite-infused for extra breathability, while the foam helps provide pressure relief.
- Two inches of high-resilience foam aids in spinal alignment and works with the upper foam layers to create a comforting lift.
- This 1-inch thick layer of high-density transition foam is designed to be highly resilient and supportive, easing the sleeper into the coils under it.
- The Evolution's 8-inch patented HDMax™ innerspring coil unit is designed to provide 25 percent more support than typical springs, according to Nolah.
- An eco-friendly foundation layer stabilizes and secures the tri-zoned coils for maximum support and longevity.
- Finally, a durable border made with carrying handles supports the entire mattress.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
Your Nolah mattress will arrive rolled and compressed into a box. These mattresses are considerably heavy so we recommend having someone help you move it. Once you have it in its desired room, carefully cut the top of the box, and remove the bed. Then, remove the plastic and position the bed. It should immediately start to take shape.
During this time you may notice an odor coming from the mattress. This odor is known as off-gassing and occurs due to the manufacturing process used in the foams. While off-gassing is common, harmless, and should dissipate quickly, you can speed up the process by placing it in a well-ventilated room.
- CertiPUR Certification – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Free shipping is available within the contiguous United States. White glove delivery and old mattress disposal is available for 125 dollars.
- Trial – Test this bed risk-free for 120 nights. If it's not for you, contact the brand, and they'll send a driver to pick it up for a full return.
- Warranty – Nolah offers a lifetime warranty on the Evolution mattress.
- Return Policy – After sleeping on a Nolah mattress for 30 nights, customers have until the trial night period is up (or 90 more nights) to return their purchase for a full refund.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 15”||$1,599|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 15”||$1,799|
|Full||53” x 75” x 15”||$2,099|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 15”||$2,299|
|King||76” x 80” x 15”||$2,499|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 15”||$2,499|
|Split King||38” x 80” x 15” (per side)||$3,598|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Nolah Evolution a good mattress?
The Nolah Evolution mattress should be a reliable and comfortable choice for a variety of sleep position preferences. The hybrid design merges the soft, motion-isolating benefits of foam with the traditional feel and support of an innerspring mattress.
How long does it take for the Nolah mattress to inflate?
Your Nolah mattress should start to inflate immediately once it’s removed from the box and the plastic. However, you’ll want to allow 24-72 hours for it to reach its full size.
Do I have to wait 24 hours to sleep on my Nolah mattress to expand?
Your Nolah mattress should start to expand as soon as it is removed from the plastic. In some instances, it takes only a few hours to fully expand, but sometimes it can take up to 72 hours. For the most comfortable and supportive sleep experience, we recommend waiting at least 24 hours before sleeping on the Evolution.
Nolah vs Other Brands
Nolah Evolution vs Nectar
- Lifetime warranty
- Benefits of foam and innerspring
- Helps alleviate pain
- Relieves pressure
- Traditional memory foam feel
- 365-night trial period
Who We Recommend the Nolah For
- Back sleepers
- Those who experience hip and back pain
- Hot sleepers
Who We Recommend the Nectar For
- Side sleepers
- Fans of memory foam
- Lightweight sleepers
Interested? Read our full Nectar Mattress Review.
Nolah Evolution vs Saatva
- Great for couples
- 120-night trial period
- Proprietary cooling technology
- Classic innerspring feel
- Affordable luxury
- Complimentary White Glove Delivery
Who We Recommend the Nolah For
- Those who sleep hot
- Side sleepers
Who We Recommend the Saatva For
- Fans of classic innerspring beds
- People with back pain
- Luxury lovers on a budget
Explore our Saatva Mattress Review.
Nolah vs Other Nolah Models
Nolah Evolution vs Nolah Signature
- 15” tall
- Supports spinal alignment
- Hybrid mattress
- Relieves pressure
- Supports curves of body
- All-foam design
Who We Recommend the Nolah Evolution For
- Those seeking a balance of pressure relief and support
- Luxury lovers
- Those who get hot as they sleep
Who We Recommend the Nolah Signature For
- Pressure relief seekers
- People who prefer to sleep on their side
- Those who prefer a mattress that hugs them
Check out our full Nolah Signature Mattress Review.
The Nolah Evolution is a luxury hybrid mattress that boasts incredible comfort, support, and cooling. Available in three firmness options, this bed should appeal to a variety of sleepers.
Side sleepers shouldn't feel too much pressure in the Luxury Firm version, but those seeking extra pressure relief should look into the Plush model. However, some heavyweight side sleepers may find their ideal match with the Luxury Firm.
The Nolah Evolution is an excellent option for back sleepers, who enjoy the plush support of coils and memory foam's contouring. Most back sleepers should enjoy the comforting design and gentle support, providing strong spinal alignment. However, back sleepers who prefer extra firm support and pressure response may need to opt for the Firm model.
Spinal alignment can be an issue for stomach sleepers because the hips tend to dip in this position as they often carry extra weight. We noticed some light sinkage in the Luxury Firm model, so those seeking a more rigid feel should opt for the Nolah Evolution in Firm.
The Nolah Evolution is not as responsive to movement as other beds, which is usually an important feature for combination sleepers who often switch positions. That being said, if you do have an interest in trying out the Evolution, the Luxury Firm should accommodate the most positions thanks to its medium-firm feel.
Couples looking for delicate contouring and the soft “hug” of memory foam should find enormous relief in this bed. Additionally, this bed offers great edge support for people sharing a bed. You should be able to comfortably lay on the edges, enjoying the entire surface of the bed without feeling like you'll fall off.
The Nolah Evolution's Luxury Firm model may work for heavier side sleepers, but most people carrying extra weight should be a better fit with the Firm. The upside to the Evolution is that it is 15 inches thick, so it can easily provide the added support layers heavier individuals need.
Some lightweight sleepers may find the Luxury Firm too hard for their tastes, with the exception of some petite stomach sleepers. We think most lightweight sleepers will enjoy the Plush version of the Evolution, giving them more cradling to ease pressure points.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average-weight sleepers should be extremely satisfied with the Nolah Evolution bed. All preferred sleep positions will experience the cocooning softness provided by the multiple layers of foam, as well as secure stability brought on by the base layer of patented HDMAX™ innerspring coils.
Nolah packs a lot of value into this mattress, and their lifetime warranty and thorough approach to spinal alignment should promise a hefty return on your investment. Individuals with a variety of needs should find soothing comfort and cooling in this innovative design. The combination of cooling technology and a patented coil system make for a well-rounded mattress overall.
The Sleep Advisor test results are in: The team found that the Nolah Evolution should exceed the expectations of those seeking a luxurious hybrid mattress. Both soft and supportive, the Nolah Evolution uses nine layers of premium, high-tech materials to deliver cooling, comfort, and spine alignment.
Although this bed should make a great addition for almost everyone, average-weight sleepers and people who rest on their side and back should find this mattress exceptionally comfortable. Hot sleepers should also enjoy the Evolution’s many cooling features.
However, heavyweight sleepers closer to 300 pounds may be better off with the Firm model while petite sleepers who rest on their side may like the Plush option for deeper relief.
Rachael is a content writer for Sleep Advisor who loves combining her enthusiasm for writing and wellness. She’s had a passion for writing since she was a kid when she wrote awful poetry. She’s honed her craft quite a bit since then and considers herself a lucky duck to get paid to do what she loves.
Embracing the remote work life, she occasionally takes her work on the road and lives out her travel writer pipe dream.
In her free time, she attempts to meditate regularly, rides her bike to Trader Joe’s, and enjoys trying every type of food that she can get her hands on.