Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Do you wish your bed could help improve your everyday life while you sleep?
Bear Mattress says their product will help you do just that. They claim their special materials will boost your quality of sleep and increase performance for individuals with active lifestyles.
The family behind the company has the bench strength of 25 years in the industry. They strive to help all individuals get better rest at a good price point.
This in-depth review of Bear Mattress is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as value, materials, and quality. While the brand has multiple models, this review is for their Bear Mattress option.
Keep reading for our breakdown of construction, firmness, and preference-based criteria or skip to the summary here.
You will love Bear if you:
- Need cooling capabilities – Graphite gel and a cover with Celliant® technology are specially designed to keep you cool.
- Want to give back to kids – Not only has the company donated to every state, they have donated over $20 million in sports equipment and helped over 4 million children be active.
- Use an adjustable base – While not all beds can be used with adjustable bases, Bear can. Its foam construction allows it to conform to positions that other beds cannot.
You might not like Bear if you:
- Love innersprings – As an all-foam model, you will not experience a traditional innerspring feel. However, this mattress still has bounce and additional comfort layers. They offer another model, the new Bear Hybrid, that has springs and pressure reducing foam.
- Need old mattress removal – The brand does not currently offer services to remove your previous bed, which is something to keep in mind if you want to find a company that can. However, if the mattress does not work for you, they will remove it from your home for free.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Bear is a foam bed with a layer of memory materials that ships in a box to the USA and Canada. Their product can be set on a solid, flat surface and works with an adjustable base. The company sells their own foundations on their site.
Its cover is a major selling point for many buyers, not only due to its appealing two-toned design but because of the materials used to create it. The company uses a highly unique Celliant® technology that they claim has FDA-determined infrared yarn technology.
The brand says that this technology has many clinically proven benefits to overall wellness and sleep quality, as well as improved tissue oxygen levels. They say the Celliant® converts energy from the body into infrared light, providing many of these benefits.
If you are interested in this aspect, we encourage you to conduct your own additional research on this topic, as we are not experts in this field. The brand believes it is especially significant for those with active lifestyles, which is something to take into account if you are in that category.
Its non-removable cover can be gently spot cleaned.
In its 10-inch thickness, there is a gradual transition from soft to the firmer layers from the top down. Instead of traditional adhesives, the brand utilizes a water-based bonding solution.
- The top layer has 1 inch of memory foam infused with graphite gel. It has an open cell structure and conducts heat away from the body. All of the foams are made with CertiPUR-US®-certified materials, which means they largely avoid particular harmful chemicals and processes that can be found in other brands.
- The second layer is 1.5 inches of quick response foam that has bounce, provides pressure relief, and aids in alignment.
- The third layer contains another inch of quick response foam that is firmer than the level above with the same benefits.
- The base layer contains a supportive level of 5 inches of high-density foam.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our 10-point scale with 10 being the firmest, we describe this model’s feel as a 6-6.5 level of firmness. It is on the firmer side of a medium range, meaning most people should like it.
When putting weight on the bed and releasing it, most of the levels respond quickly. It is the inch of memory foam on top that is slower to respond. However, the memory layer responds quicker than many out there.
Even though there is a memory layer, it does not feel predominantly like a memory foam bed. However, it remains soft and comfortable while lying down.
Despite the top memory layer, there is a noticeable bounce. It is not as much as innerspring models or some all-foam brands we have reviewed, but it is there (see all our mattress reviews). There is also a gentle cradling effect, where the contouring starts a little bit away from the body.
Sometimes memory foam can cause sleepers to feel stuck, but that should not be the case with this bed and most should move freely on it. Again, because it is a thinner memory layer and the nature of the product is quick-responding, repositioning should be easier.
The model works well for combination sleepers, or those who spend the night in multiple positions, and people who sleep in a singular position.
Back sleepers should feel that their lumbar region and necks are supported and their spines well-aligned.
Stomach sleepers should have enough firmness to support them for easy breathing and hips that do not sink too much. Spines should maintain alignment.
Side sleepers typically deal with pressure points forming on their shoulders and hips. The bed should do a good job of negating pressure points without skewing the spine.
Significantly heavier side sleepers may need to use the trial period to evaluate whether or not they will sink through the comfort levels and engage the denser level. This could potentially increase pressure points and they may need a softer mattress. However, we believe this mattress to be a good fit for a wide range of weights.
For a different feel with even more bounce and support for heavier weights, their hybrid model may be a good option.
Read about more great options here.
Overall, motion transfer is minimal. However, because the cover is stretched tight, there can be a slight pulling effect horizontally when pushing directly down on the cover.
Still, we do not think that light sleepers (the group that needs high isolation) will be bothered at night.
Edge support is of varying importance depending on the individual. Bear performs similarly to most bed-in-box models.
Compression while lying down on the edge is minimal and there is strong support. However, sitting directly on the edge will yield some noticeable compression.
- Trial Period – 100-night trial period. Like many companies, they require you to try the product for 30 days before returning. If it needs to be returned, the company tries to donate to local charities.
- Warranty – 10-year limited warranty.
- Shipping – Ships to the USA and Canada via FedEx.
- CertiPUR-US® Certification – Striving to be more eco-friendly, the foams in this product meet CertiPUR-US® standards for chemical usage, volatile organic compound emissions, and are within environmentally safe limits for ozone depleters.
- Charity Support – With each sale, a percentage is donated to Good Sports to help children access sports and activities. To date, the company has helped over 4 million kids.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
Bear Mattress provides comfort, support, and a unique cover layer with FDA-recognized materials.
Bear Mattress’ quality, innovative materials are attractive to all people and there may be special advantages for those with active or athletic lifestyles.
Their strategic use of a thin layer of memory foam with graphite gel adds comfort while allowing sleepers not to feel stuck or overheat.
They help kids with the means to become involved with sports and that their product is made in the USA.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.