Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Loom & Leaf is an all-foam bed from Saatva, one of the first mattress companies to pursue an online sales model in 2010. By doing this, they can deliver fantastic value and maintain their commitment to reducing the brand’s carbon footprint by using sustainable materials.
With Loom & Leaf, Saatva’s aim is to produce a luxury-quality memory bed at a fraction of the cost of retail competitors. Unlike many other online brands, Loom & Leaf is never compressed into a box and is always professionally delivered.
Our in-depth review of the Loom & Leaf will take you through all the reasons this mattress stands out, from advanced cooling and support gel technology to premium memory materials. While you can order the bed in Relaxed Firm and Firm models, this review will focus in on their flagship Relaxed Firm option.
Keep reading for our in-depth analysis or jump ahead to read the conclusion and scoring sections.
You will love Loom & Leaf if you:
- Love memory foam without a “trapped” feeling – This bed contains 4.5 inches of high-quality memory layers that contour to your shape and gives you a gently-cradled feeling without letting you sink too deep to where you feel stuck.
- Sleep hot – The company has included several unique features that help reduce heat retention associated with foam beds, including the top layer’s convoluted construction and infusion of gel, as well as an all-gel panel positioned right where people tend to overheat.
- Want a luxury bed at an affordable price – By using an online sales model, Saatva can eliminate the middleman and pass savings directly to the consumer. The company also believes they can offer more luxury by never compressing the mattress into a box.
You might not like Loom & Leaf if you:
- Prefer an innerspring construction – For an all-foam bed, it feels substantial and the unique design helps it to promote airflow and temperature regulation, but it offers minimal bounce, and its core has a different feel from the coil system you will find on Saatva’s innerspring bed.
Do you want to view more options? Click here to see our full list of mattresses we review.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Every Loom & Leaf all-foam mattress comes with free White Glove Delivery Service, where professionals deliver and install your mattress. You may use most standard bed frames, though the company recommends frames with strong central support and a box spring less than seven years old. Saatva has designed its own foundations, including an adjustable base, that are available for purchase through their website.
The cover is circular-knit certified organic cotton that is quilted to a .625-inch foam layer, which gives it a plush and luxurious finish. A natural flame retardant made from thistles is used in place of harmful chemicals, and there are handles on both sides to help you position your bed.
The mattress stands 12 inches tall and has four layers, all of which come from sustainable sources in the USA.
- The first layer is a 2-inch Enhanced Conforming and Cooling layer made from a gel-swirl memory foam with a convoluted structure that looks like an egg crate and improves airflow. This construction and gel work to improve temperature regulation. Laminated to the flat side of the foam is the company’s proprietary Spine-Zone Gel, a cooling gel panel that is positioned in the bed’s center for lumbar support and improved spinal alignment. This gel, which is typically found in hospital burn units, also absorbs body heat and transfers it away from the body.
- The second layer is a 2.5-inch layer of 5-pound visco-elastic premium memory foam that provides deep contouring and support, as well as long-term durability.
- The third layer is a 2-inch Transition Loft Pad positioned between the memory materials and the high-density base layer to provide additional contouring.
- The fourth layer is 5.5 inches of dense poly foam that serves as the bed’s base and provides support to the sleeper and stability to the mattress.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored the Relaxed Firm option of this bed at a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. If you prefer, you can also order the Firm option, which scores at a 7.5.
Though you would expect to sink a lot into 4.5 inches of quality memory materials, the quilted cover will help prevent you from sinking too far and feeling like you are trapped in your mattress, and in fact, this is why the cover is pulled slightly tighter over the Firm option. In both versions, you should experience a gently cradled sleep with the great pressure relief associated with memory foam, all the while feeling well-supported.
With more of your body exposed to the air, it is less likely that you will overheat. The company has also included a gel panel, gel-swirl memory foam, and a convoluted (egg crate) structure in the top layer to help mitigate any problems with heat retention. The gels will carry heat away from your body, and the convoluted shape helps with airflow, letting you sleep comfortable and cool.
Though there is minimal bounce with this bed, there is enough base layer support as well as a quick-responding transition layer and cover to help with repositioning. The quilted cover is fast-responding and even the memory layers are a lot quicker than many others out there. Most combination sleepers, who tend to reposition a lot, should not struggle to move on the Relaxed Firm, though, if this is a concern of yours, you may want to look at the extra-supportive Firm option.
Overall, the Relaxed Firm version will accommodate most sleeping positions.
Most back sleepers will find that the quilted cover and memory foam contours nicely with their lower back while the high-density base layer supports good spine alignment. Sleepers with heavier weight considerations may opt for the Firm mattress for the added support.
Side sleepers will appreciate the pressure relief that the Relaxed Firm mattress can offer through their hips and shoulders. The foam should cradle their heaviest points and support their spines in a straight position.
Most stomach sleepers, especially those with heavier weight considerations, will probably prefer the Firm option, which will keep their hips from dipping too low into the mattress and causing poor spine alignment. However, stomach sleepers who are significantly lighter may prefer the Relaxed Firm option, as they will interact with the mattress differently.
If you share your bed and worry about disturbing your partner’s sleep when you move around, you will want a bed that can isolate motion.
All-foam constructions, especially those with a lot of memory materials, really excel in this category because of memory foam’s ability to absorb movement and keep it from traveling to the other side. As expected, this memory bed performs exceptionally well in this category.
Memory foam activates when it comes into contact with heat and slowly spreads out, which is great for pressure-relieving sleep, but less advantageous around the edges where you need a little extra support. That said, edge support is impressive in this all-foam mattress, especially compared to some of its bed-in-a-box online competitors.
You will notice some compression through the comfort layers when seated on the edge because your weight is highly concentrated, but when you lay down on the side and your weight is more evenly distributed, you should not feel unstable or as if you are going to roll out.
Edge support is not a make or break feature, but it is something to consider if you sleep with a partner and need to comfortably occupy more surface area on your mattress.
- Multiple Firmness Options – You can order a Relaxed Firm or Firm version, depending on your preferences.
- Trial Period – You can try this mattress for 120 nights, and if you decide you do not like it, you can return it for a small transportation fee.
- Warranty – This product comes with a 15-year Warranty.
- Shipping – Free shipping is available within the continental U.S., as well as some parts of Western Canada.
- White Glove Delivery Service – The company includes professional installation and removal of your old mattress for free with every order.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This bed is CertiPUR-US® certified, which means its foams have been rigorously tested for dangerous levels of chemicals, including formaldehyde, ozone depleters, or toxic flame retardants. Saatva is a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council, which aims to reduce the carbon footprint of furniture production. The cover is certified organic cotton.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$749|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$849|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,299|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,699|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,699|
The Loom & Leaf memory foam mattress represents a great value in the luxury space and has enough high-performance materials to keep you cool and comfortable all night.
If you are in the market for luxury and want a lot of value for your dollars, this bed is a great choice.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.