With more knowledge comes more responsibility…
All right, that might not be the famous phrase, but it is still true! As we learn more about the impact the products we purchase make on the environment, we can make a difference by shopping brands that create products in an eco-friendly way.
With Loom & Leaf, Saatva aims to produce a luxury-quality memory bed using environmentally conscious practices at a fraction of the cost of retail competitors. Unlike many other online brands, Loom & Leaf is never compressed into a box and is always professionally delivered.
Our in-depth review of the Loom & Leaf will take you through all the reasons this mattress stands out, from advanced cooling and support gel technology to premium memory materials. While you can order the bed in Relaxed Firm and Firm models, this review will hone in on their flagship Relaxed Firm option.
Keep reading for our in-depth analysis or jump ahead to read the conclusion and scoring sections.
Who Do We Think Matches With Loom & Leaf?
- Memory foam lovers – This bed contains 4.5 inches of high-quality memory layers that contour to your shape and is likely to give you a gently-cradled feeling without letting you sink too deep to where you feel stuck.
- Hot sleepers – The company has included several unique features that help reduce heat retention associated with foam beds, including the top layer’s convoluted construction and infusion of gel, as well as an all-gel panel positioned right where people tend to overheat.
- Deal seekers – By using an online sales model, Saatva can eliminate the middleman and pass savings directly to the consumer. The company also believes they can offer more luxury by never compressing the mattress into a box.
Possible Loom & Leaf Complaints:
- It doesn’t have an innerspring feel. – For an all-foam bed, it should feel substantial and the unique design helps it to promote airflow and temperature regulation. However, it offers minimal bounce, and its core has a different feel from the coil system you will find on Saatva’s innerspring bed.
Construction: What’s Inside Loom & Leaf?
Every Loom & Leaf all-foam mattress comes with free White Glove Delivery Service, where professionals deliver and install your mattress. You may use most standard bed frames, though the company recommends frames with strong central support and a box spring less than seven years old. Saatva has designed its own foundations, including an adjustable base, that are available for purchase through their website.
The cover is circular-knit certified organic cotton that is quilted to a .625-inch foam layer, which gives it a plush and luxurious finish. A natural flame retardant made from thistles is used in place of harmful chemicals, and there are handles on both sides to help you position your bed.
The mattress stands 12 inches tall and has four layers, all of which come from sustainable sources in the USA.
- It is topped with a 2-inch Enhanced Conforming and Cooling layer made from a gel-swirl memory foam with a convoluted structure that looks like an egg crate and improves airflow. This construction and gel work to improve temperature regulation. Laminated to the flat side of the foam is the company’s proprietary Spine-Zone Gel, a cooling gel panel that is positioned in the bed’s center for lumbar support and improved spinal alignment. This gel, which is typically found in hospital burn units, also absorbs body heat and transfers it away from the body.
- The next layeris a 2.5-inch layer of 5-pound visco-elastic premium memory foam that provides deep contouring and support, as well as long-term durability.
- A transitional layer, a 2-inch Transition Loft Pad, is positioned between the memory materials and the high-density base layer to provide additional contouring.
- The base is 5.5 inches of dense poly foam that provides support to the sleeper and stability to the mattress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
No unboxing or unwrapping with L&L—leave it to the professionals to set up your new mattress and remove your old one free of charge! When you take your first look at your new bed, you should notice the soft organic cotton cover settled on a convoluted, plush-looking foam.
Though you would expect to sink a lot into 4.5 inches of quality memory materials, the quilted cover will help prevent you from sinking too far and feeling like you are trapped in your mattress, and in fact, this is why the cover is pulled slightly tighter over the Firm option. It should contour around your body, as memory materials do, and provide a soft yet supportive feel.
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Relaxed Firm) 7.5 (Firm)
If you are constantly waking up with aches and pains (generally around the areas that feel the most weight), your mattress probably isn’t doing its job relieving pressure. The trick is to find the right amount of cushion and support, which can be different for every body type, sleeping position, and personal preference.
L&L is an all-foam construction with 4.5 inches of memory layers, and if you know anything about memory foam, it’s that it rocks at relieving pressure. You should experience a gently cradled sleep with the great pressure relief on both models, all the while feeling well-supported. Though there is minimal bounce with this bed, the base, quick-responding top layer, and cover help with repositioning.
L&L has a pretty hefty support foam layer that not only helps the bed remain durable but also distributes your weight evenly and maintains spine alignment. Although there is not a ton of sinkage on the surface, the memory foam contours to your body, so the spaces between your curves and the bed should be filled. You should be left feeling supported and comfortable.
The density and firmness should work well for heavier folks, as well, especially on the Firm model. The higher-end materials are designed to last for years—you should not feel sagging or deterioration.
Multiple Firmness Options
Because everyone’s firmness preferences are different, this product comes in two different firmness options. Those that prefer a more sturdy surface can choose the Firm option, and a slightly softer choice is the Medium Firm model.
Free White Glove Delivery
L&L doesn’t come in a box, but it still comes with an extra convenient delivery. The company includes professional installation and removal of your old mattress for free with every order.
L&L takes extra precautions to combat overheating that can occur on foam beds, starting from the breathable organic cover and the egg-crate shape in the top layer that promotes airflow. The gel-infused foams are designed to target the areas that tend to retain heat (like the lumbar area).
Great Motion Isolation
Loom & Leaf excels at isolating motion, as is customary for all-foam beds. Partners, kids, or pets moving around throughout the night across the bed shouldn’t disturb your rest because of the absorbent memory materials.
More Eco-Conscious Materials
This brand is focused on encouraging an environmentally friendly manufacturing process and product. Saatva is a member of the Sustainable Furnishings Council, which aims to reduce the carbon footprint of furniture production.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Want to use your new bed on an adjustable base? Saatva designed this bed with this in mind. In fact, the company sells its own adjustable frame specifically made to fit Saatva products..
Handcrafted in the USA
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Free shipping is available within the continental U.S., as well as some parts of Western Canada.
- Trial -You can try this mattress for 120 nights, and if you decide you do not like it, you can return it for a small transportation fee.
- Warranty - This product comes with a 15-year warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 12”||$849|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 12”||$1,149|
|Full||54” x 75” x 12”||$1599 |
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1699|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1999|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1999|
Those that want the pressure-relieving benefits of memory foam without feeling trapped or sinking into bed should love Loom & Leaf. The mattress should stay cool all night long and feel luxurious while maintaining a low price point.
Side sleepers will appreciate the pressure relief that the Relaxed Firm mattress can offer through their hips and shoulders. The foam should cradle their heaviest points and support their spines in a straight position.
Those that sleep on their backs can find discomfort in the lumbar area if it is not well-supported by their mattress. Most will find that the quilted cover and memory foam contours nicely with their lower back while the high-density base layer supports good spine alignment. Those that like a harder surface might like the Firm model.
Stomach sleepers generally need extra support around the hips, where most of the weight is centered. L&L should work for most stomach sleepers because it is a little firmer and does not allow for much sinkage. Some might prefer the Firm option, which will keep their hips from dipping too low into the mattress.
If you tend to move positions throughout the night, you’re a combination sleeper. Repositioning should be a breeze on L&L—especially for a memory bed—because of the tightly quilted cover and lower dense foams; you should not feel stuck. The overall feel is pretty versatile, so you should be comfortable in most positions.
L&L kills it in the motion transfer category, so couples should be undisturbed by restless partners. Most couples will enjoy the versatile feel and high-quality materials that provide good support. This bed does tend towards the firmer end of the spectrum, so if you are in a couple with a significant difference in your body weight or one of you prefers a soft bed, this might not be your choice.
Those on the heavier side need a bed with lots of good support made with durable materials. L&L provides that with its sturdy base and durable foams. While the Relaxed Firm might be a bit too soft for some, sleepers with heavier weight considerations may opt for the Firm mattress for the added support, especially stomach or back sleepers.
Lightweight sleepers tend to need softer beds to enjoy all of the comfort and support layers in a bed. This bed does not allow for much sinkage, so many lighter folks will not be able to come into contact with the lower foams and might find this mattress a bit too firm, especially when lying on their side.
Loom & Leaf is a great all-foam choice made with higher-end materials offered at a lower cost due to the online sales model. The zoned cooling, organic cotton cover, and durable comfort and support foams are luxurious features that may be your ticket to amazing sleep for years to come.