Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Copper may not be the first thing you imagine when you are dreaming of a comfortable new bed, but we think it’s a really “cool” addition to memory bed technology. Layla’s dual-sided, copper-infused memory bed promotes temperature regulation while supplying amazing pressure relief.
Our Layla mattress review showcases a company that places a high value on using copper for its conductivity and supportive features and a brand that backs up their product with a Lifetime Warranty. With Layla, you are essentially getting two for the price of one: Soft on one side if you want a softer pressure-relieving sleep or flip it over and try out the Firm for a more supportive feel.
This versatile bed, with its proprietary gels in the cover and highly conductive copper in the foams, can give you the deep-hugging comfort of memory beds with much less heat retention compared to similar brands.
Keep reading for a rundown on pressure relief, comfort, support, and quality, or skip all that and get straight to our scoring and summary.
Who Do We Think Matches With Layla?
- Active folks – Soft side up, this product really excels in relieving pressure along all of your body’s heaviest points with the deep cradling of memory foam. Firmer supportive layers underneath will help ensure that your spine remains in neutral alignment.
- Sweaty sleepers – The cover is infused with the company’s proprietary cooling ThermoGel®, and the first layer of memory foam incorporates copper, a “thermal superhighway.” Both work together to noticeably reduce heat retention, which is often associated with traditional memory materials.
- Hesitant shoppers – Layla is double-sided, with Soft and Firm sides. By designing one bed with two firmness levels, you can discover the type of support and pressure relief that suits your body best. The brand provides a generous risk-free 120-night trial period to help you decide if their product is the right fit.
Possible Layla Complaints:
- It doesn’t have bounce. – This bed really delivers on all the advantages that make memory products great, including pressure relief and contouring, and has added features to reduce heat retention. However, people who are looking for more bounce and prefer to sleep on the top of their mattress may not appreciate the deep hug of Layla, especially when turned to its Soft side.
- Company Headquarters: New Haven, CT
- Website: laylasleep.com
- Phone: (855) 358-1676
- Mail: [email protected]
Layla started with the mission to transform the way that consumers purchase a new bed. One of its co-founders grew up working in his family’s furniture store and saw firsthand the problems of the mattress industry and sought to make his own company. Using an online business model, Layla can cut a lot of costs, saving you money.
The innovative Layla mattress uses copper-infused memory foam to combat the heat-retention typical of memory materials . Since the success of the mattress, the company has added several other products to its lineup, including bamboo sheets, bedding, pet beds, and foundations.
Construction: What’s Inside Layla?
Layla is a memory bed-in-a-box option that works with a variety of different foundations or slatted bed frames and is adjustable base compatible. There is a foundation designed specifically for this mattress available through the company’s website.
The fully-removable cover has a top that is a polyester/viscose/lycra blend infused with cooling ThermoGel®, which is activated when it comes into contact with moisture. These proprietary soft and durable materials are noticeably cooler to the touch. The cover also can be dry cleaned, which is a great feature, and replacement covers are available for purchase through the website.
For the purposes of this review, we will take you through the layers as they are stacked when Layla is Soft side up. If you flip it to the Firm side, the fourth layer becomes the first.
- Starting from the top, we have 3 inches of copper-infused memory foam for contouring and comfort. Copper, which is both antimicrobial and a highly efficient heat conductor, helps keep the mattress cool and germ-free. In addition, the copper cells in the foam firm up under pressure so that heavy parts of the body receive both pressure relief and additional support from this unique material.
- The next layer is 2 inches of convoluted Air Flow support foam, which resembles what we recognize as an egg crate shape. This layer promotes airflow that helps the temperature of the mattress remain regulated while providing additional pressure relief and support.
- Deeper is a 4.5-inch thick foam that forms the mattress’ foundation and delivers Layla’s main source of support for the sleeper.
- The base is a 1-inch layer of the same copper-infused foam used in the first layer that provides contouring and comfort when the mattress is flipped over.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Once the exciting day arrives that you get to unbox your new bed, you should find a black and orange box right on your doorstep. Everyone likes opening packages—it’s like Christmas on an average weekday! After you unwrap the mattress and roll it out, it will inflate as the memory foam expands to its intended shape and size.
You might notice the cover first; it’s a soft material with a gray hexagon design on it, one side darker than the other so that you can easily tell which side is Firm and which is Soft. With Layla, you can lay on it within minutes and sleep on it that night (or take a quick nap right away—we won’t judge). You should sink in a good amount, but once the sinking stops, you should be held in a comfortable position with the upper foams contouring around your body.
Firmness Scale: 7/10 (Firm) 4/10 (Soft)
If you wake up on firmer mattresses feeling pain in pressure points like your hips, back, and knees, you will likely love waking up in memory foam. The pressure relief of this product truly excels; the foams really cradle your body in a deep and cozy hug. If pressure relief tops your list of needs, you will probably prefer the Soft side that gives some extra TLC in that area.
Memory foam is the king of pressure relief because it is a unique material that can mold to your shape. The response time—or the amount of time the foam requires to regain its shape once pressure is released—is relatively quick compared to other memory beds, but does not snap immediately back into place, and it should fill in all the nooks and crannies around your body’s curves, especially in the lumbar area.
While being comfortable, cozy and soft is essential, you’re going to need some decent support, as well—like parenting, right?.
On both sides, Layla offers a classic memory-bed feel that cradles the body’s curves while providing good support. Like many beds in the memory space, there is next to no bounce. Either side of Layla will accommodate a variety of sleep positions, however, if you are an active (combination) sleeper and ease of repositioning is exceptionally important to you, you may want to try the Firm side for additional ease of repositioning.
Heavier folks will get better support from the Firm side, while those on the lighter end will probably prefer the Soft side.
With Layla, you get two firmness options in one product and can flip it to whichever side best suits your sleeping preferences.
Don’t want to go into a mattress retailer, talk to a salesman, and schedule delivery? Layla has you covered. This bed is vacuum-sealed and shipped in a box so that you can get it at your own convenience.
Ancient Egyptians used copper to treat wounds and cure diseases, and many believe in the medicinal qualities of copper to this day, claiming it improves circulation and relieves headaches. We are certainly not experts on that, but we can tell you that Layla is remarkably comfortable and both its cover and its foams are specially designed to keep you cool.
Great Motion Isolation
Layla really delivers in motion isolation, where memory foam beds are known to perform extremely well. Jumping or simply getting in and out of bed produces a very minimal transfer of movement from one part to the other. This is important to consider for couples who sleep light and have different sleeping schedules. You should sleep undisturbed by your partner moving around in this bed.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Handcrafted in the USA
This CertiPUR-US certification indicates that the mattress was tested for dangerous levels of hazardous chemicals and heavy metals, including formaldehyde, ozone depleters, lead, and mercury.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Coupon - Get $100 OFF the Layla Mattress using our coupon code "SLEEPADVISOR" at checkout.
- Shipping - This mattress ships for free within the continental USA and is available for Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada for an additional fee.
- Trial - The company gives you 120 nights to decide if this mattress is right for you.
- Lifetime Warranty - Layla is offering an industry-leading Lifetime Warranty that lasts for as long as you own the mattress.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38″ x 75″ x 10″||$599|
|Twin XL||38″ x 80″ x 10″||$699|
|Full||54″ x 75″ x 10″||$899|
|Queen||60" x 80" x 10”||$999|
|King||76" x 80" x 10”||$1099|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 10”||$1099|
Overall, Layla is a really versatile mattress that can deliver benefits for a wide range of body types and sleep preferences. Its unique copper-infused memory foam should keep you cool and comfortable while you sleep.
Most back sleepers should feel comfortable on the bed’s Soft foams where the additional memory materials will hug the curve of the lower back while the base layer of foam supports good spine alignment. That said, someone who is substantially heavier may sink too deep in the Soft foams and sleep more comfortably on the Firm.
Stomach sleepers will probably prefer the Firm side of this mattress because their hips may sink too deeply into the Soft side, which can cause the spine to fall out of neutral alignment. Significantly lighter stomach sleepers, however, may be adequately supported by the Soft side.
This bed is pretty versatile, meaning most sleepers will find it comfortable in any position. With the added flippable feature, you can choose what side you prefer. Memory foam tends to hug your body which can make it tough to adjust throughout the night, but those who move around considerably might like the Firm side best because it should be a bit easier to reposition on.
If you sleep with a partner, you probably know how difficult it can be to find a mattress that can fit all of your needs. Layla can be a great compromise with the option to adjust the firmness at home so that you can try out what is best for both of you. While the foam compresses a bit when lying on the edge, most couples will not be bothered by that, especially if they have a bed that is a bigger size.
When it comes to memory foam, it can be tough to find a mattress that remains durable and supportive for heavier folks. The Firm side of this bed should accommodate most sleepers on the heavier side. The company recommends a weight limit of 300 pounds.
Layla’s Soft side is on the softer end of the spectrum, which is ideal for those who are significantly lightweight. The foams should still compress as intended, giving you the support and pressure relief your body needs.
For memory bed lovers who need good pressure relief, it’s hard to find a better value than the Layla, especially with their two fully-integrated firmness options for added versatility that is backed by a Lifetime Warranty. This kind of innovative technology and long-term value could cost you thousands of dollars in a retail store but is available online in a queen for much less.