If you’re the type of person that loves a little bit of everything—from toppings on your hot fudge sundae to variety in your mattress—then a hybrid bed may be right for you. Hybrids combine the best of both worlds, giving you the softness of memory foam and the pushback support of coils.
Still not sure whether a hybrid will work for you? Layla took the world of mattresses by storm with their original all-foam flippable bed, and they recently launched a dual-sided hybrid too.
Our Layla Hybrid mattress review will take a look at both the soft and firm sides to see how each stacks up. In a rush? Skip to the bottom for our final thoughts.
Who Do We Think Matches With Layla Hybrid?
- Online Shopping Newbies – Buying a mattress online can be scary since you don’t know exactly how the bed will feel. Not only does Layla give you a 120-night risk-free trial but this flippable design gives you two unique experiences in one bed. If you aren’t sure if soft or firm is better for you, just try them both out to find your sweet spot.
- Couples – This bed has lots of versatility that could appeal to couples with different sleep needs. The thicker coils around the perimeter should allow you and your bedmate to use the entire surface of the bed for sleeping and other bedroom activities. For light sleepers, the memory layers should do a good job of isolating motion that interrupts you during the night.
- Petite and Lightweight Sleepers – Small and lighter individuals often find that most mattresses feel too firm. Both the soft and firm sides of this bed are on the medium-soft to medium side, which could be a good fit for this group of people.
Possible Layla Hybrid Complaints:
- It isn’t a true firm. – Even the firmer side of this bed is still closer to a medium feel. For heavier folks or dedicated stomach sleepers, this hybrid may feel too soft and lack the support these individuals need.
Construction: What’s Inside Layla Hybrid?
The Layla Hybrid stands 13 inches tall with a total of 5 layers. The charcoal gray cover is designed to be light and airy for breathability. Being on the darker side is helpful for those accidental spills, but for bigger messes, the zipper allows you to remove the cover for easy cleaning.
Let’s take a deeper look at this dual-sided hybrid, working from the soft side down.
- The cover layer features incredibly plush, breathable fabric for a comfortable outer cover with integrated handles for easy flipping, and a zipper for simple removal.
- The first layer contains 2.5 inches of copper-gel memory foam. The copper works to cool the product and maintain a comfortable temperature, while the memory foam’s variable support works to provide spinal lift, deep compression relief, breathability, and includes antimicrobial odor control.
- The following 2-inch layer of Max Airflow support foam contains deep channels for maximum cooling and zoned surface modification technology (SMT). The SMT provides customized support for a wide variety of needs.
- The middle contains a 6-inch layer of 14-gauge individually pocketed coils that are designed to offer pushback support and bounce while isolating motion at its source. The perimeter is reinforced with a double row of 16-gauge coils to provide enhanced edge support.
- Beneath is the transitional layer on the firmer side and consists of 1.5 inches of the same surface modification technology for zoned support.
- The last layer also serves as the firm top layer and features one inch of copper-infused memory foam for a soft and supportive feel.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Unlike most bed-in-a-box brands, the Layla Hybrid arrives at your door in a box and is contained in a large duffle bag with carrying straps inside. Built-in handles on the cover should also help with set-up and flipping this bed over so you can test out both sides. Once it’s unrolled, it may take a day to fully regain its shape (although the coils should help speed this along).
Testing out the softer side, you should feel the plush memory layers instantly conforming to the shape of your body. Individuals with chronic aches and pains may feel very comfortable on this side, thanks to the generous pressure relief it provides.
Flipping it over, the firmer side should still provide a gentle hug but with a little more support due to the thinner memory layers. The coils are designed to provide some bounce and make repositioning or getting in and out of bed a little easier—a welcome find for those with limited mobility.
Firmness Scale: 4/10 (Soft), 6/10 (Firm)
Most people have had the unpleasant experience of sleeping on a rock-hard bed at a hotel or during college. If the poor night’s sleep wasn’t bad enough, you probably woke up with all sorts of aches and pains where your body’s grooves couldn’t sink in. That’s why companies invest so much time and money into making sure their mattresses offer exceptional pressure relief—and the Layla Hybrid is no exception.
Regardless of which side you choose, the foam layers with built-in zoning are designed to cradle your body and relieve pressure in key areas like the shoulders and hips. Unlike most foams that allow the entire body to sink in, these feature variable support, which means your heavier areas will get the relief they need, while your midsection and lumbar region should be well supported.
While memory foam shines when it comes to pressure relief, pocketed coils are known for offering that pushback support you need to keep the spine in neutral alignment. The copper-infused top layer is designed to react under the weight of your body to provide extra support.
The foams should contour to your natural curves, filling in the space around the lumbar region, while the pocketed coils offer buoyancy and support to keep you sleeping on (not in) the mattress. This hybrid’s responsiveness should also help with repositioning and getting in and out of bed.
Similar to the popular bed-in-a-box delivery method, Layla ships this mattress to your doorstep. Inside the box, the mattress is in a large bag that includes handy carrying straps. Direct shipping saves the company money, which they pass along to customers in the way of affordable pricing.
Unlike traditional memory foam that tends to retain heat throughout the night, the infusion of copper can help to offset this by drawing heat away from the body. The open-cell foams and individually pocketed coils should also keep sleepers cool while sleepinf on this bed by allowing air to flow freely.
Exceptional Edge Support
Poor edge support can reduce the usable sleeping space and make it difficult to sit on the edge of the mattress. The Layla Hybrid has a double layer of higher gauge coils along the perimeter to offer the same exceptional support across the entire surface of the bed.
Great Motion Isolation
Anyone who shares a bed—with a partner, kids, or furry friends—likely knows something about nighttime disturbances when those bedmates are getting in and out of bed or just rolling around. This hybrid is designed with individually pocketed coils and layers of memory foam that minimize motion transfer, so you can sleep peacefully regardless of what’s going on around you.
One of the complaints people have when it comes to memory foam is that they often feel stuck when they try to change positions or get out of bed in the morning. The coil system paired with highly responsive foams were carefully constructed to give this bed a good amount of buoyancy to help with repositioning.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Unlike innerspring units that are all connected, these individually pocketed coils move independently, so they are ideal for adjustable bases.
Made in the USA
All of the foams used are certified to contain safe limits of ozone depleters, formaldehyde, and heavy metals, such as mercury and lead.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Free shipping is available to the lower 48 states and to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada for an additional fee.
- Trial - A generous 120-night sleep trial is provided, so you can test out one (or both) sides of this bed risk-free.
- Warranty - Layla offers a generous 10-year warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13”||$1,299|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13”||$1,399|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,599|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$,1699|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$1,899|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$1,899|
Once again, Layla has created an award-worthy flippable bed that offers a balance of comfort and support for nearly every sleeper. This versatile hybrid bed has two distinct firmness options that should appeal to a wide range of individuals.
Side sleepers should be very impressed by this bed’s ability to conform to the shape of their curves and relieve pressure in the heavier areas. The softer side is well-suited to meet the needs of most side sleepers, but heavier folks who sleep on their sides may prefer the firmer option.
Folks who sleep on their backs are always on the lookout for options that offer good lumbar support. The zoned foams in this mattress should do a good job of filling in the space between the shoulders and hips, while the pushback support from the pocketed coils works to keep the spine in neutral alignment. Most back sleepers will likely prefer the firmer side that keeps them sleeping more on the surface of the bed.
Spinal alignment can be an issue for stomach sleepers since the weight of the hips can cause this area to sink and create an arch in the spine. Light to average stomach sleepers should find adequate support on the firmer side of this mattress, but heavier stomach sleepers may want to look for a more suitable option.
This bed should be a good fit for combination sleepers who change positions throughout the night. The responsive foams and pocketed coils are designed to make repositioning easier, a welcomed find for those with limited mobility. With the versatility of a hybrid design and two levels of firmness, combination sleepers should feel very comfortable on this bed.
Couples seeking versatility to suit both partners should find it in this mattress. Two unique sides and a balance of pressure relief and support make this a great option for couples with varying needs.
This mattress has reinforced edge support and limited motion transfer, so couples should be able to use the entire surface and not have to worry about interrupted sleep when one partner moves around. The added bounce from the coils is also a nice find for couples.
While the coils in this mattress should help to offset the sinkage of memory foam under heavier weights, the plush nature of both sides of this bed may be too soft for sleepers over 300 pounds. Heavier side sleepers may feel well supported on the firmer side, but back and stomach sleepers with weight considerations may want to look at options designed with heavy frames in mind.
Lighter than average and petite sleepers should feel right at home on Layla Hybrid. The plush foams are designed to allow even lighter frames to sink in and experience the full potential of this bed. Light-weight sleepers will likely prefer the softer side to experience a gentle cradle as they sleep.
We think Layla has created another top-performing bed with the addition of this hybrid to its expanding line. Sleepers who love the feel of memory foam but are looking for a little more responsiveness and support should be very happy with the pairing of pocketed coils and enhanced foams. This versatile design with two unique sides may set a new standard in the mattress industry.