As inclusivity continues to become a top priority among industries, the Titan Firm Hybrid is Brooklyn Bedding’s answer to the long-overdue desire for a quality mattress that’s specifically designed for plus-size sleepers.
The company prides itself on its American-made products that ship directly to customers nationwide from their factory in Arizona. By selling directly to consumers online, Brooklyn Bedding can offer top-tier bedding at competitive market prices.
In our in-depth overview of the Titan Firm Hybrid bed, we will look at the bed’s construction, how it stands out in today’s plus-size market, and what key features it offers.
Continue reading for the full details, but if you’d rather just grab a quick summary, it’s available at the bottom of the page.
Excellent Matches For Titan
- Plus-Sized Sleepers – This brand is distinctively manufactured for individuals with larger frames by incorporating a balance of enhanced support and pressure relief without the concern of excess wear.
- Hybrid Fans – Hybrids fuse the best of foam and innerspring beds into one convenient product. The Titan combines the contouring pressure relief of foam with the motion isolation and support of coils.
- Hot Sleepers – For those who tend to sleep hot, a bed with cooling capabilities is a must-have. The coils in the middle of the bed should help promote airflow, while the gel in the quilted memory foam at the top carries heat away from the surface to help you stay cool while you sleep.
Possible Titan Considerations:
- It may be too firm for light-weight sleepers. – This brand was designed to provide a firmer feel and amplified support for heavier individuals. Folks who weigh lighter – especially those who sleep exclusively on their side – will likely prefer a bed that has a more plush feel to better accommodate their pressure points.
- It won’t have a traditional innerspring feel. – While the Titan does use coils, it’s important to note that this bed is still a hybrid with foam materials, so it won’t necessarily have the same feel as a traditional innerspring bed. That being said, the pressure-relieving benefits of contouring foams still make this an exceptional product.
Construction: What’s Inside the Titan?
The Titan Firm Hybrid comes compressed into a box that should be easy to navigate through your home, though keep in mind the reinforced coils are heavy, and you may need some help carrying and installing the product. The bed is compatible with any sturdy foundation or frame, including an adjustable base.
The cover is made out of cotton and features dark gray panels on the side. For an extra charge, the company can sew in a premium phase change molecule (PCM) cover for even more cooling. This cover is quilted to a 1-inch layer of gel memory foam to mold to your body’s shape while wicking away heat.
The entire mattress is 11 inches tall.
- Below the quilted top is the company’s proprietary TitanFlex™ foam that provides 2 inches of pressure relief targeted at the points on the body that tend to bear weight the most when lying in bed. This performance foam is also responsive, so repositioning should be simple.
- Further down is the industrial-strength support system that contains the company’s TitanCaliber™ coils. These 6-inch coils are individually pocketed to reduce motion transfer and provide the necessary support to keep the individual’s spine well-aligned.
- The base is 2 inches of high-density base foam that cushions the coils and provides the product with a sturdy and durable foundation.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Titan is shipped right to your home. After opening, you should allow the mattress about 3-5 hours to air out before laying on.
As you lie down on the bed, the surface layers should conform to your curves as the coils beneath deliver generous support to your heaviest parts. The overall experience for larger individuals should be a deeper cradle.
Because the TitanFlex™ foam reacts to changes in pressure so quickly, adjusting positions should be very simple.
Firmness Scale: 6.5-7/10 (Medium-Firm to Slightly Firm)
When you lie down, whether it’s on the floor or a bed, your weight will begin to put pressure on the body. The areas that are sensitive to this added pressure are your pressure points. Common ones might include the back, hips, and shoulders. In some cases, this pressure can become so intense that it leads to pain, which is why a bed that actively works to relieve tension is a wise investment.
The Titan has not one but two comfort layers designed to provide that necessary relief. The first layer is the 1-inch gel memory foam that’s quilted to the bed’s cover. Memory materials are highly popular because of their conforming capabilities that allow the sleeper to feel a cradle sensation. Below this is 2 inches of the company’s patented TitanFlex foam. This highly responsive foam was developed with pressure relief in mind.
Part of what constitutes a high-quality mattress is the inclusion of supportive materials to help you achieve good spinal alignment while you sleep. This is critical for avoiding or worsening pain in areas like the back and neck.
Plus-size sleepers have unique needs and, therefore, need a highly supportive bed to accommodate them. The Titan, which caters to heavier sleepers, understands this and built their bed accordingly. The innerspring unit, which consists of 961 coils, is made to provide industrial support. The company has placed an additional layer of high-density foam below those coils to complement the springs and add overall durability to the bed.
The individually pocketed coils of the Titan do a good job of isolating most movement, which should be enough to keep most sleepers resting peacefully regardless of movements in other parts of the bed, especially compared to traditional innerspring models.
Coils tend to give a bed some breathability by allowing for more airflow through the mattress. However, the Titan also uses gel in its top memory foam layer to keep you sleeping comfortably. For an additional fee, the company will add a phase-change cooling cover to this mattress. You can select this option on their website.
Exceptional Edge Support
For their hybrid beds, Brooklyn Bedding uses higher gauge coils along the perimeter to provide optimum edge support. This could potentially be an essential decision-making factor if you and your partner like to spread out and take advantage of the mattresses’ entire surface.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Titan can be used with an adjustable base. The company also sells adjustable bases on their website if you’re interested in purchasing one with your mattress.
Handcrafted in the USA
- Eco-Friendly Certifications - This bed is CertiPUR-US certified, which guarantees the consumer that the foams in this bed meet consumer safety standards, which evaluate materials like lead and VOC emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the contiguous United States. Shipping to Alaska, Hawaii, and Canada is available at an additional cost.
- Trial - Once the bed is delivered, you have 120 nights to decide if this is the right mattress for you. Exchanges or refunds are not available until after 30 days into the trial period.
- Warranty -The warranty on this product is good for 10 years.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11”||$699
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$799|
|Full||54” x 80” x 11”||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,099|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,299|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,299|
|Split Cali King||36” x 84” x 11”||$799|
Those with plus-size figures do not need to compromise on comfort in order to receive the support they need. With the Titan, Brooklyn Bedding has developed a top-quality bed with heavier sleepers’ concerns and needs in mind.
Side sleepers who are heavier should appreciate the balance of comfort and support. They should feel the memory and TitanFlex foams conform to their shape and relieve pressure in their hips and shoulders, while the coils give the support needed to keep their spine comfortable.
Folks who regularly sleep on their back should feel the top comfort foam layers of the Titan conforming to their lower back, while the industrial support from the innerspring unit further below supports their hips and keeps them comfortably level.
No matter their size, regular stomach sleepers tend to prefer a bed that gives them a firmer feel. This mattress should hold up well for heavier folks who sleep on their stomach, while the comfort forms are still responsive enough to cater to their pressure points.
Combination sleepers tend to respond well to beds with a firmness in the medium range, since that is versatile enough for multiple sleeping positions. Although the bed’s medium-firm to slightly-firm feel might be too hard for lighter sleepers, this should do well for combination sleepers who are heavier.
Similar to combination sleepers, a bed that’s a good fit for couples must be accommodating to both persons. This bed would do exceptionally well for a plus-size couple since it’s specially designed for both individuals. Plus, the motion isolation provided by the coils should minimize the chances of waking your partner when you adjust during the night.
The Titan Firm Hybrid is marketed specifically for plus-size individuals, making this bed an excellent choice for this consumer group. You should feel a good balance of pressure-relieving comfort and sturdy support for good spine alignment. As this is a brand designed for larger people, the manufacturer’s recommended weight limit is a bit higher at 900 pounds.
Folks with an average weight who are exclusive stomach sleepers could still do well with this mattress, especially if they enjoy a firmer feel. However, individuals under 120 pounds would likely find this bed too hard. For those interested in the brand but desire something less firm, you can also try out the Titan Luxe Hybrid.
Plus-size folks deserve a comfortable sleep too, and mattress companies are getting the message. The Titan Firm Hybrid by Brooklyn Bedding is nicely balanced for larger individuals and offers the same top-quality pressure relief, performance foam, and cooling features as the company’s other models.