Are you looking for the firmest mattress out there? If so, you may have found it in the Plank Firm Luxe mattress by Brooklyn Bedding. This is a flippable hybrid mattress with one side only slightly softer than the other. The hybrid design, combined with a firm feel, delivers outstanding edge support, spine alignment, and motion isolation.
Brooklyn Bedding is known for luxury, high-quality mattresses, and the Plank Firm Luxe is no exception. The mattress has eight layers together with optional cooling panels on both sides.
Take a few minutes to read the article below as we discuss all about the Plank Firm Luxe, its features, benefits, and drawbacks. If not, skip to our final verdict to see how the mattress ranks in different categories.
Watch Our Plank Firm Luxe Mattress Review
Excellent Matches For Plank
- Stomach Sleepers – Both sides of the Plank Firm Luxe are firm, but one is slightly firmer than the other. Nonetheless, both sides work excellently for stomach sleepers, providing support for the spine and neck so that everything is aligned in a healthy posture.
- Hot Sleepers – The bed offers versatility with optional cooling panels and an optional GlacioTex cooling cover, making the mattress more suitable for hot sleepers. In addition, the hybrid design provides airflow to further enhance cooling and breathability.
- Heavier Folks -The Firm Luxe is designed to handle up to 950 pounds, much like other Brooklyn Bedding mattresses. The hybrid design features TitanCaliber™ coils that support heavier folks, preventing them from sinking into the layers.
Possible Plank Considerations:
- Too Firm for Side Sleeping – Both sides of the Plank Firm Luxe are rigid and likely will not fit most side sleepers. This mattress allows little to no cradling, so you may experience pressure build-up when sleeping on the side, even if you switch sides multiple times throughout the night.
- Not for Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight sleepers may find this bed even firmer than average-weight sleepers and heavier folks. This is because lightweight people won’t activate the upper layers enough to feel even a bit of contouring. Plus, you may struggle with pressure build-up in most positions.
You should always consider your body weight before buying a mattress. On top of that, you should consider your partner’s weight if you’re sharing the bed to ensure the mattress can fully support both of you. Heavier folks need additional support to keep the spine aligned, while those weighing less than average should focus more on cushioning due to potential pressure build-up.
The Plank Firm Luxe can carry up to 950 pounds, as is the case with other Brooklyn Bedding mattresses. This model is firm on both sides, so you should get maximum support regardless of the side you choose. Foks weighing over 300 pounds will find sufficient support but may not find it as firm as average-weight folks. The firmness of the foam layers and its TitanCaliber™ coils help ensure proper sleep posture and quality support where you need it the most.
Construction: What’s Inside Plank Firm Luxe?
The Firm Luxe is 13.25 inches tall and has six layers without cooling panels. The cooling panels are optional, and you can get one for the top and the bottom, so you can use both sides of this flippable mattress. An optional GlacioTex cover is also available if you need additional cooling. The cover and cooling panel are stitched to a .75-inch quilted top. If you flip the mattress, the quilting is 1.5 inches tall.
The layers of the Plank Firm Luxe Extra-Firm side up are as follows:
- Below the cooling panel is the .75-inch quilted top with continuous stitching to ensure minimal cushioning for those looking for an extra-firm feel.
- The 2-inch high-density support foam adds deep compression support, even for folks weighing over 300 pounds.
- Next is the main support unit with 961 individually-encased TitanCaliber™ coils. This layer is 6 inches tall and also adds bounce and motion isolation.
- Under the coils is another layer of 2-inch high-density support foam acting as a transition layer when you flip the mattress.
- Further below is a layer of patented TitanFlex™ foam for firm support in areas you need the most.
- The bottom 5-inch quilted layer with tack-and-jump stitching, which gives minimal loft for those who prefer firm over extra-firm. This is also the top side if you flip the bed over to the Firm side.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Plank Firm Luxe has an optional cooling cover, but without it, it doesn’t feel cool to the touch. However, the cover feels soft when you first touch it. If you press your fingers down, you’ll feel the foam responding to pressure. The foam pops right back up but slower on the less firm side.
The bed feels firm thanks to its high-density foams and 6-inch TitanCaliber™ coils that offer pushback support for average-weight and heavyweight sleepers.
Firmness Scale: 8-8.5/10 (Firm) 9/10 (Extra-Firm)
Pressure relief is a valuable feature in mattresses, especially for anyone who is a side sleeper, lightweight, or deals with achy joints and muscles. Usually, beds that provide pressure relief have contouring layers that mold to the sleeper’s body in order to alleviate pressure from the person’s body weight.
The Plank Firm Luxe has two sides, both of which are on the firmer side. For this reason, this bed may not be the best for pressure relief, especially if you’re a side sleeper. Stomach and back sleepers may find some relief in the high-density foam layers included on both sides.
This mattress offers very little contouring and cushioning, so it tends to create pressure build-up when you sleep on the side. The less firm side may feel slightly more comfortable, but it’s usually too firm anyway. Stomach and back sleepers don’t struggle with this in the same way because they don’t need as much cushioning as side sleepers.
Although this bed isn’t ideal for pressure relief, it excels in support. The mattress has a hybrid design with 6-inch individually-encased TitanCaliber™ coils and high-density foam layers. Both sides are rated as firm and extra-firm, so it doesn’t matter which you use since the support remains unparalleled.
The design was engineered to fit heavyweight folks, back sleepers, and those who like sleeping on their stomach. These folks need the most support, especially in the hip and upper back area, so that the spine remains in a healthy position. The bed can carry up to 950 pounds, making it excellent for couples, even if both partners weigh above average.
This hybrid mattress has two sides, which makes it seem like you have two beds in one. On top of that, the fact that you can flip it enhances its overall durability, even if you weigh above average. One side of the Plank Firm Luxe is rated as firm, while the other is extra-firm.
The company ships this hybrid mattress compressed and packed in a box. This makes it easier to move the bed from your front door to the bedroom. However, the bed takes a while to decompress, so make sure to allow it at least 24 hours before using it.
Optional GlacioTex Cover
The company offers an optional GlacioTex cooling cover for both the firm and extra-firm sides. This raises the price a bit, but it may be worth it if you’re a hot sleeper.
Hybrid mattresses are known for their breathability since the coils allow plenty of airflow to prevent the construction from overheating. On top of that, you can order additional cooling panels if you usually sleep hot.
Exceptional Edge Support
Whether you sit or sleep near the edge, you’ll see that the Plank Firm Luxe offers excellent support along the perimeter. This is thanks to the high-caliber coils going from edge to edge and the high-density foams.
Excellent Motion Isolation
Although all-foam mattresses usually offer better motion isolation than hybrids, this bed excels in isolating movement. This is mostly due to the overall firmness and the density of foam layers, making it a good option for couples and those looking for a minimal bounce.
Adjustable Base Compatible
If you want to use an adjustable base, the company recommends you use an adjustable power base.
Made in the USA
The foams in this product were certified by CertiPUR-US® as safe and free of toxins. The certification means that the foams meet strict health standards.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the United States. The company can ship the mattress to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada for an additional fee.
- Trial – This flippable hybrid comes with a 120-night trial, so you have enough time to decide if it’s the right one for you.
- Warranty – The warranty on this mattress is 10 years.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 13.25”||$874|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 13.25”||$974|
|Full||53” x 75” x 13.25”||$1,124|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13.25”||$1,424|
|King||76” x 80” x 13.25”||$1,674|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13.25”||$974|
|Split Cali King||36” x 84” x 13.25”||$424|
|Short Queen||60” x 75” x 13.25”||$1,424|
|Short King||72” x 75” x 13.25”||$1,674|
|Olympic Queen||66” x 80” x 13.25”||$1,674|
|RV King||70” x 74” x 13.25”|
70” x 80” x 13.25”
The Plank Firm Luxe is made by Brooklyn Bedding, known for their high-quality mattresses. This flippable hybrid is an excellent fit for a range of sleepers, such as heavy folks and those who prefer sleeping on their stomach.
Side sleepers need a bed that offers pressure relief, so the Plank Firm Luxe may not be the best option. Although this is a flippable bed, both sides are too firm for most side sleepers. For this reason, people sleeping on their side may struggle with pressure build-up because the bed offers minimal cushioning.
Back sleepers should like both sides of the Plank Firm Luxe. Folks who like sleeping on their back should benefit from the firm support and minimal cushioning. You’ll feel your weight evenly distributed and the spine straight, so it’s unlikely you’d struggle with lower back pain.
Stomach sleepers are a great fit for this hybrid mattress due to its firmness. Both sides are suitable for stomach sleepers, although heavier folks may prefer the extra-firm side. The bed holds your body in alignment, preventing the hips from sinking in when sleeping on the stomach.
Combination sleepers should like this mattress as long as they don’t spend too long sleeping on their side. The mattress is suitable for back and stomach sleepers, and you can even flip sides to find one that matches you best. Plus, repositioning is easy, which is important for this group.
Couples who prefer sleeping on firmer mattresses should like the Plank Firm Luxe. This model has excellent edge support, allowing couples to use the entire surface of the bed. The mattress also does well at isolating motion, so it’s good for partners with different sleeping habits. Plus, it can carry up to 950 pounds.
Significantly heavier folks often struggle to find a mattress that can accommodate their needs. The Plank Firm Luxe can carry up to 950 pounds, so it’s good for partners weighing above average. In addition, the mattress is flippable, so it’s unlikely to develop dents and sagging as early as other beds.
Lighter-than-average sleepers may find this bed too firm regardless of their preferred sleeping position. Lightweight sleepers likely don’t weigh enough to activate the upper layers, let alone the coils. For this reason, they may experience pressure build-up in all positions, especially when side sleeping.
Brooklyn Bedding is known for its top-tier mattresses, and this flippable hybrid is no exception. The brand went the extra mile to create the firmest mattress to accommodate heavy sleepers, couples, and stomach sleepers. In addition, they offer a 10-year warranty and 120-nights for customers to try the bed before committing.
After carefully testing the Plank Firm Luxe, we think it’s an excellent match for back and stomach sleepers as well as heavier individuals. Partners who weigh above average will like its weight capacity of 950 pounds and the flippable design that enhances durability. The Plank Firm Luxe provides unparalleled support so that you can use the entire surface of the bed.
Although side sleepers and lightweight folks may find it too firm, heavier sleepers and those who prefer sleeping on their stomach and back will love its heavy-duty coils, minimal bounce, and unmatched firmness. All of this makes this mattress a great option to consider.