Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Casper launched in 2014 with the goal of modernizing the sleep industry and has become one of the most recognizable names in the bed-in-a-box industry. Their all-foam bed is one of the most comfortable we have found for the widest variety of sleep preferences.
Our in-depth review of Casper will cover all the new updates. Casper’s in-house R&D department is constantly responding to consumer feedback to continually refine their products. Their newest update has incorporated a Zoned Support™ layer to accommodate different weights at different parts of the bed.
Casper also sells a high-end model, The Wave, and an entry-level model, The Essential, but for this review, we will discuss the original Casper based on our scoring system, which evaluates characteristics like support, pressure relief, motion transfer, and quality.
Keep reading to see Casper’s full review, or skip ahead to our scoring and summary sections.
Casper Mattress Video Review
You will love Casper if you:
- Are a combination sleeper – People who tend to change position should not have any difficulty with the Casper, due to the combination of its quick-responding top and transition layers with a supportive base. The specially-designed foams are also extremely accommodative for all sleeping positions, making this bed a good choice for couples.
- Want zoned spine support – This brand really goes to work to blend comfort with excellent alignment. Softer foam under the shoulders paired with firmer foam under the hips help to keep the spine straight while you sleep.
- Sleep hot – Proprietary breathable foams and strategic layering work to promote airflow and help keep this bed cooler than many competing memory beds.
You might not like Casper's Mattress if you:
- Want an innerspring feel – The all-foam structure is extremely supportive and versatile for a lot of individuals, but it will feel different from beds that incorporate coil systems.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Casper is an all-foam bed that ships straight to your door compressed in a box. As with most all-foam constructions, you will want to use a flat surface, platform, or closely slatted bed frame for best results. Foundations and adjustable bases specially designed for Casper mattresses are available on the company’s website.
The cover is made from a durable two-toned polyester with quality stitching that holds well when the fabric is pulled in multiple directions. It is also fully-removable for spot cleaning.
Overall, the mattress is 12 inches thick and has four distinct layers.
- The first layer is 1.5 inches of open-cell proprietary comfort foam that gives the mattress some bounce and breathability to keep the surface from overheating.
- The second layer is 1.5 inches of responsive high-density memory foam for pressure relief and motion isolation. Keeping this layer away from the surface helps to keep the trapped heat associated with memory foams away from the body.
- The third layer is 2 inches of Zoned Support™, a transition layer that is firmer in the center of the bed where your hips are positioned to help with the extra weight that tends to concentrate in this region, but softer around your shoulders and knees, for additional pressure relief. Since your body is getting tailored firmness levels, your spine should remain in neutral alignment.
- The fourth layer is a 7-inch layer of dense foam that lends durability, provides support, and creates the overall foundation of the mattress.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
On our firmness scale, we scored the Casper at a 6 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest, which we would classify as a medium level of firmness. Beds in this range tend to work best for couples who have differing sleeping preferences as they more versatile.
With this mattress, there is slightly less sinkage than expected of brands with a memory foam layer, which is ideal for individuals who prefer to sleep more on top of their mattress. There is also an average bounce for an all-foam product, which is largely due to the top comfort layer and the base layer. The soft cover gives it a cozy feel.
Lying down on the mattress, you should feel as if your weight is evenly distributed. With the Zoned Support™, a firmer transition foam under your hips will keep your spine even with your shoulders. Though you will sink in a small amount for pressure relief and a gently cradled feeling, you will not feel stuck.
You will sleep more on top of this bed rather than inside it, which, along with the quick-response top, transition layer, and base, will help you to change positions easily. Also, the mattress’ balance of comfort and alignment make it a versatile choice, especially combination sleepers who tend to switch between positions.
Most back sleepers will appreciate the feel of extra support underneath their hips that keep their spine well aligned. The top comfort layer and memory foam will contour nicely into their lumbar region.
Most side sleepers will notice the classic pressure relief of memory foam in the second layer and find that the bed conforms nicely to their curves while keeping their spine in neutral alignment. Side sleepers often experience pressure in their hips and shoulders in this position because their weight is concentrated in a smaller area.
Most stomach sleepers need a bed that is firm enough so their hips do not sink too low, forcing their spine into an awkward angle. The Zoned Support™ layer really shines for the stomach position by adding extra firmness where it is needed most.
Casper is one of the most versatile mattresses we have looked at, and we really think it will be a great choice for a wide spectrum of people and body weights. That said, different body shapes and sizes will experience a mattress differently.
Individuals who are significantly heavier may want to upgrade to Casper’s Wave, that will provide extra support and even more advanced zoning features.
All-foam mattresses, especially those with some memory materials, really shine in the category of motion transfer because of its tendency to absorb shock and isolate movement. Though there is an average bounce in this bed, it does not travel to other parts of the mattress or create a disturbance.
If you have a partner and worry about disturbing their sleep by rolling over, Casper will be a great choice.
Casper’s edge support is competitive with other all-foam mattresses, performing slightly better than expected for a bed-in-a-box. You will notice some compression when sitting on the side with all of your weight concentrated in one spot, but lying down with your weight more distributed, you should feel well supported, even close to the edge.
People who with partners want to maximize the amount of surface space they can use, and beds with more solid edges give you more room to move around.
- Trial Period – You may test this bed for 100 nights, and if you do not like it, the company will come pick it up for free.
- Warranty – This product comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Free shipping and free returns are available in the USA and Canada.
- Optional White Glove Delivery – If you prefer, you can have the mattress delivered and installed by professionals for an additional fee.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – This product was tested and found to meet rigorous environmental standards for safe or nonexistent levels of harmful chemicals, such as formaldehyde, ozone depleters, or lead.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Designed and Assembled in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$595|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||$645|
|Full||54” x 74” x 12”||$895|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,095|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,295|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,295|
We love the versatility and Zoned Support™ of Casper. Since it is accommodating for sleepers of all types, we think there is a great chance you will love it, too!
Casper gives you a risk-free 100-night trial to decide if this versatile mattress has got what it takes to deliver your most comfortable nights yet.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.