If you’re here, you probably got a good look at the adorable animals that Casper has marched out to help sell their mattresses. Who doesn’t love a baby goat? We know we do.
But what’s the deal with their mattress? Is it worthy of all the internet buzz surrounding this brand and its products? In this Casper mattress review, we’ll check out their flagship mattress model that launched the now-famous brand back in 2014.
Casper is always innovating, and they have had a few updates since then (including a brand new cover and new layer of breathable foam in 2020), and we’ll break them all down and what they mean for you, the sleeper. Does it sleep cool? Can couples share it easily?
Stay tuned, as we go through the details. Or skip to the bottom to see how it scores in individual categories.
Who Do We Think Matches With Casper?
- Versatility Fans – If you’re in a couple and your partner has a different body type (80% of couples are in this boat) or you’re a person who switches positions a lot, you might like how versatile Casper mattress is. They’ve built this bed to work with multiple shapes in different positions by strategically layering their foam.
- Spine Alignment Seekers – Having problems sleeping in a neutral position? Zoning in Casper may help you out. Firmer foam in the center of the bed helps hold your hips in line, which can be a struggle, especially for stomach sleepers.
- Hot Sleepers – If you’ve shied away from foam beds in the past because of heat retention concerns, you have little to worry about with Casper mattress.
Possible Casper Complaints:
- No Innerspring Feel – This is an all-foam bed, as as such as some pretty great motion isolation, but if you want more of an innerspring bounce in your bed, you may steer towards the company’s hybrid mattress.
- Foam Doesn’t Slowly Respond – Fans of traditional memory foam beds are often looking for materials that slowly respond, but that’s not the feel here. By building the top layers with responsive foams, the brand aims to make repositioning easier and provide a less “stuck” feeling.
Awards for Casper Mattress
- Best Mattress
- Best Mail Order Mattresses
- Best King Size Mattress
- Best Mattress for Sciatica Pain
- Best Mattresses for Sex
- Best Mattresses for Back Sleepers
- Best Mattresses for Herniated Disc
- Best Mattress for Couples
- Best Mattress for Combination Sleepers
- Best Mattress in Canada
- Best Mattresses for Hip and Shoulder Pain
- Best Mattress for Neck Pain
- Best Mattresses for Adjustable Beds
- Best Mattress for Spinal Stenosis
- Best Mattresses for Stomach Sleepers
- Best Soft Mattress
- Best Queen Mattress
- Best Mattresses for Side Sleepers
- Best Mattresses for Back Pain
- Best Bed in a Box
- Best Memory Foam Mattress
- Best Online Mattress
- Best Twin Mattresses
- Best Mattresses for Insomnia
- Best Mattresses for Sleep Apnea
- Best Mattress for Light Sleepers
- Best Mattress for Scoliosis
- Best Mattress for Restless Leg Syndrome
- Best California King Mattresses
- Best Mattresses for Osteoporosis
- Best Mattress for Fibromyalgia
- Best Twin XL Mattresses
- Best Mattress for Elderly
Construction: What’s inside Casper?
Casper mattress is a bed-in-a-box foam brand that stands 12 inches tall. Its four layers are wrapped in a durable polyester fabric.
- The first layer is perforated proprietary comfort foam called AirScape™ that gives the mattress some bounce and breathability to keep the surface from overheating.
- The second layer is 2 inches of Zoned Support™, a transition layer that is firmer in the center of the bed where your hips are positioned to help with the extra weight that tends to concentrate in this region, but softer around your shoulders and knees, for additional pressure relief. Since your body is getting tailored firmness levels, your spine should remain in neutral alignment.
- The last layer is a layer of dense foam that lends durability, provides support, and creates the overall foundation of the mattress.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The outsides of this mattress look sporty and modern, with grey side panels and white top. The top feels soft and cool to the touch. Pressing into the foams, you should notice how responsive they feel or how quickly they regain their shape when pressure is released. Pushing deeper, you’ll feel the slower responding memory foam that was built to conform to your shape.
Lying down, you should feel immediate sinkage into the top layer of breathable foams as the lower layer of memory foam slowly conforms to the shape of your body. With built-in gradual transitions between each layer of foam, you shouldn’t feel “bottomed out” or up against the firmness of the base, though the supportive system should keep your body level, using the zoning in the third layer.
Firmness Scale: 6/10
When more weight is concentrated on one part of your body more than another, this creates what we call “pressure” which can translate into soreness come morning if you’ve slept in a bed that’s not right for you. Using graduated firmness and zoning in their foams, Casper mattress works to ensure that your weight is evenly balanced.
There is slightly less sinkage in this bed than one might expect from a traditional memory foam bed, and most sleepers can expect to sleep closer to the surface of the bed. You should sink in for a gently cradled feel that works to relieve pressure with the foams working to balance your weight and filling in any gaps caused by curves in your shape. Because you don’t sink deeply and the foams are responsive, repositioning in this bed is simple to manage.
The firmness of the base is balanced by the softer top to put this bed at a versatile 6 on our firmness scale. This score is ideal for many different body types and shapes.
However, the real star of this show is the zoning that runs through the middle of the bed, which helps to support sleepers throughout their hips. This is the area where most people carry the most weight and commonly the most excess weight for heavier sleepers.
Beneath this layer is a robust support foam that forms the foundation of the bed and completes the support system designed to keep all shapes pressure-free and correctly balanced. It provides a small amount of “push-back” or bounce that aids in repositioning.
Though there are some pop-up and retail locations for Casper products cropping up nationwide, the company still sells online, a business practice that helps reduce costs by eliminating the middle man and delivering directly to consumers in an easier to ship container.
Zoned Support System
The third layer of this bed provides a bit of extra support in the center of the mattress to promote better spine alignment under the hips without sacrificing the soft pressure relief usually required in the shoulder area.
Breathable, Responsive Foams for Cooling
When air can move quickly through the memory foam, there is less of a chance that body heat will become trapped, which is Casper’s strategy with its top layer of proprietary foam.
Great Motion Isolation
Though there is some bounce coming from the base layer, the memory foam here works exceptionally well here to trap vibrations caused by a sleeper’s movements before they travel across the bed to wake a sleeping partner or child. This is a great feature that couples usually gravitate towards.
Adjustable Base Compatible
If you want to use an adjustable base with this bed, the manufacturer had designed one for their line of mattresses, though it should also be compatible with other models.
Designed and Assembled in the USA
This CertiPUR-US certification indicates that the foams in this mattress have been evaluated by third parties for the presence of unsafe levels of certain chemicals associated with VOC emissions and cleared inspection.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Free shipping and free returns are available in the USA and Canada.
- Optional White-Glove Delivery - If you’d prefer for professional installation, the brand will arrange these details for you for an additional fee. With Covid-19 concerns, the company may not offer these services for a limited time.
- Trial - You can try this product in your home for 100 nights to be sure it's your match. If it’s not, the company will come take it back for free.
- Warranty - This product comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 12”||$595|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 12”||$695|
|Full||54” x 74” x 12”||$995|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 12”||$1,095|
|King||76” x 80” x 12”||$1,295|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 12”||$1,295|
The name of Casper’s mattress game is versatility and its flagship mattress has definitely made its mark on the industry. Since it’s so accommodating to different sleepers, especially with Zoned Support™, there’s a great chance you’re going to love it.
Most side sleepers will notice the classic pressure relief of memory foams and find that the bed conforms nicely to their curves while keeping their spine in neutral alignment. Side sleepers often experience pressure in their hips and shoulders in this position because their weight is concentrated on a smaller area.
If you’re exceptionally curvier or prefer a softer bed, you may consider looking at the Wave, Casper’s luxury brand that has an advanced support system and is scored for firmness at 4.5.
Most back sleepers will appreciate the medium-firm feel and extra support beneath their hips that helps keep their spine aligned while the foam conforms to the curve of their lower back. The medium-firm feel should suit a majority of back sleepers who prefer a deeper cradle, though if you prefer a deeper sink, you may want to check out the Wave. For a touch of added firmness, go with the hybrid version of this bed.
Stomach sleepers need a bed that is firm enough so their hips do not sink too low, forcing their spine into an awkward angle. The Zoned Support™ shines for those in the prone position by adding extra foam where it’s needed most for a majority of sleepers.
However, if you prefer extra support or are substantially heavier than average, we might recommend you take a look at Casper’s hybrid mattress offerings.
If you are someone who falls asleep in one position and wakes up in another, you’re not alone. Many sleepers are what we call “combo sleepers.” These folks need to look at versatile brands that ease repositioning with responsive materials and accommodate different positions throughout the night. Casper mattress shines in this area, and we think this is an ideal choice for people who fit this category.
Sleeping partners are very seldom the same size and shape and rarely have the same sleep schedule, so they need to shop versatility, low motion transfer, and edge support. Bounce is also a consideration for those who are sexually active. Casper mattress works extremely well for accommodating different body shapes and reducing the amount of motion that transfers. Couples who prefer more bounce and slightly better edge support may go with the hybrids, though there might be a slight sacrifice with motion isolation.
Casper is an extremely versatile bed among a variety of different weights, though the hybrid selections, particular the Wave hybrid, might be a better pick for those who are substantially heavier than average (over 250) and need a little extra support.
The original Casper mattress is our choice among this company’s line for light-weight sleepers (though those on a tight budget may also consider the Essential.) The graduated foams work to provide support and pressure relief without requiring your weight to push through to the foundation, which is great news for those with below-average body weights who prefer to sleep gently cradled. If you’re looking for a slightly deeper sink, the Wave may be more your style.
Casper takes the time to do their research and listen to customer feedback, and the result is a bed that should accommodate a lot of different people, including couples looking to share or combo sleepers wanting to feel comfortable in all their preferred positions.
Having a new mattress that should adjust to your changing needs and preferences over time (pregnancies, injuries, marriages, and aging) drives up the value of this product and the risk-free trial seals the deal.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there a trial period?
Casper mattresses come with a 100 night sleep trial so that buyers can purchase with peace of mind and quality assurance. If you’re not satisfied for any reason, Casper will coordinate a courier to pick up the mattress on your schedule, refund your purchase, and donate the used product to a charity.
What’s special about the Casper?
The Casper mattresses are unique in that they are created with multiple layers of various foams. A top layer of aerated breathable foam, then a middle portion providing support, and a dense bottom poly foam layer providing a sturdy base. It is said that it offers a winning combination of both support and cooling benefits.
Can I finance the Casper?
Yes, you can finance this mattress. Casper has partnered with Affirm to provide financial options for buyers who might not want to fork over a large sum at once. Beds are significant purchases, and this service might offer additional opportunities for financing to still provide you a quality night of sleep.
How long is the warranty?
Casper offers a limited 10-year warranty to ensure confidence and assurance in their buyers for years to come. The company is confident in their products and wants their buyers to try out their mattress for at least 3 months to adjust to their new mattress; if there are any issues, you can contact Casper about an easy return.
Does it come in a box?
The Casper mattress is delivered as a bed-in-a-box right to your doorstep for ultimate ease of purchase. By eliminating brick and mortar costs, they can pass those savings onto the customer and heighten convenience.