What is the difference between the original Casper Wave and the new hybrid?
Casper has converted its original Casper Mattress and its luxury model, the Wave, into hybrid designs. The brand has experienced a lot of success with its all-foam beds and is excited to show customers how it has developed its premium product on top of a 7-inch layer of supportive coils.
Our Casper Wave Hybrid mattress overview takes a look at this bed's unique features and evaluates them using our scoring system that looks at aspects like firmness, comfort, and overall value. Note, the 2021 model has a new cover and a more breathable comfort layer.
Read on for all the important details or skip to the end for a score and summary of this product.
• Excludes Sale
Click the button below and use our coupon code "SLEEPADVISOR10" at checkout.
Who Do We Think Matches With Casper Wave Hybrid?
- People who need spinal alignment – The innovative construction in this mattress includes contouring gel to keep hips and shoulders properly aligned and supported in every sleeping position while relieving pressure points.
- Sleeper looking for optimal pressure relief – This hybrid offers a series of foams over coils that provide pressure relieving comfort by evenly distributing the sleeper’s weight over the surface of the bed. The memory foam used to make the third layer is especially adept at washing away night time strain.
- Combo sleepers – This product is a comfortable choice for back, stomach, and side sleepers, as well as folks who switch between the three. The use of latex and springs makes this bed easy to move around on, while the Zoned Support Max™ allows most sleepers to take advantage of optimized alignment.
Possible Casper Wave Hybrid Complaints:
- It’s not a budget choice – This model is a higher-end luxury choice for those who prefer motion isolation, comfort, and all-around good sleep over all else. For a less expensive Casper experience, some may want to consider the flagship Casper or Casper Element.
You can find more info in our top list of beds for 2021 here.
Construction: What’s inside Casper Wave Hybrid?
The Casper Wave Hybrid features a luxurious, breathable cover (newly designed in 2020) that surrounds the bed. It’s made of recycled polyester, upcycled cotton, rayon, and lycra. It and looks and feels like a soft, comfortable sweatshirt material that zips off for easy cleaning.
The Wave Hybrid stands 13 inches tall. Beneath the cover, there are five layers designed with strategic precision cutouts for comfort and proper ergonomic alignment.
- The first layer is made from 1 inch of Casper’s hypersensitive and virtually weightless AirScape™ foam, which includes a thin layer of cooling gel. The perforated structure helps to keep sleepers cool throughout the night and promotes pressure relief.
- The second layer is a 1.5-inch latex level that also is aerated. Slightly firmer than the top layer, it helps relieve pressure points and improves the surface response time.
- The third layer is a 1.5-inch transition layer. Firmer than above levels and softer than the base, it provides a smooth handoff from soft pressure relief to support. Notches have been cut out of the bottom of this layer in the hip region as indentations for the supportive gels in the base layer to be inserted. This flexible support feature keeps the hips and spine comfortably aligned without dipping too deep.
- The fourth layer is 1.5 inches of memory foam strategically placed deeper in the mattress with 3 areas of Zoned Support™ Max for spinal alignment and pressure relief. Unlike traditional memory foam that causes sleepers to sink in, moving this layer beneath the latex enables you to move around comfortably on top. Because memory foam can be heat retentive, removing it further away from the body also helps the sleeper stay cool.
- The fourth layer is a 1.5-inch transition layer. Firmer than above levels and softer than the base, it provides a smooth handoff from soft pressure relief to support. Notches have been cut out of the bottom of this layer in the hip region as indentations for the supportive gels in the base layer to be inserted. This flexible support feature keeps the hips and spine comfortably aligned without dipping too deep.
- The base layer is a 7-inch foundation of durable, pocket coil springs and a base foam. This layer functions as the support center for the bed.
- The perimeter layer also features a firm foam encasement to enhance edge support.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Wave Hybrid comes conveniently delivered to your door compressed in a box. Setup is designed to be simple, but it is recommended that the bed be carried by at least two people. Taller than their original product, it stands 13 inches high.
The cover is made from soft and breathable material to promote airflow. With tough stitching, it resists tearing when pulled and shouldn’t wear out quickly.
As you settle into the bed, you should feel yourself sink into a deeper cradle so you’re still on top of the bed but with nice body contouring and pressure relief. The latex should make it easy for you to reposition and roll over, while the memory foam takes the edge off and keeps you still.
Firmness Scale: 6/10
Pressure relief is important for every sleeping position but especially back and side sleepers who need to sink in a little to lay comfortably. While memory foam is the best in the business for pressure relief, it’s often too hot, slow responding, and sometimes causes you to sink in too deeply. That’s where the Wave Hybrid excels.
With 1 inch of open-cell foam for breathability and 1.5 inches of latex for responsiveness over the memory foam layer, sleepers can relieve the pressure on their shoulders and backs without sacrificing other comfort elements. These foams should contour directly to your body shape to allow you to feel a deep cradle in the bed without causing you to overheat or get stuck.
Support is most important when it comes to spinal alignment, and even the best pressure-relieving elements need a good base to keep sleepers from bottoming out. With graduated firmness levels, the Wave offers support through contoured foam and gel inserts to increase support on the hips while allowing the shoulders and legs to sink in a little more.
This method of creating a firmer center and softer outside helps to keep the spine straight in every sleeping position, making it a great versatile option.
This bed ships rolled and compressed in a box. The Queen size weighs roughly 110 pounds, so the company recommends having two people to move it.
The Wave Hybrid may be fluffy and soft, but it features a Eurotop design for a sleek look. With the open-cell foam on top to add to the luxurious feel, most sleepers should notice the exceptional pressure relief.
Beds with a lot of foam on top are rarely known for their cooling measures, but this bed uses convoluted foam and perforations throughout the layers for a breathable feel rather than trapping body heat within the bed. Airscape™ 3 with cooling gel is also a new feature that should prevent overheating.
Great Motion Isolation
While there may only be one memory foam layer, this all-foam bed is great for motion isolation. You may not be able to balance a wine glass on the surface during a pillow fight, but your partner should be able to move around and get out of bed without jostling you, which is a much more practical measure in our opinion.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Wave Hybrid is adjustable-base compatible for those who prefer a more customized sleeping experience, and, thanks to Casper’s adjustable bases, your sleep space can be ready to go with just a few clicks of a button plus shipping time.
Sleepers don’t need to worry about dangerous off-gassing with the Casper Wave Hybrid, as its foams are all CertiPUR-US® Certified. This means they meet rigorous third-party emissions standards for safe amounts of potentially harmful substances.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - The Casper Wave Hybrid ships free to your door within the continental US and most of Canada. For a charge, shipping is also available to Hawaii, Alaska, and Northern Canada.
- Trial - Casper offers a 100-night sleep trial for those who want to test the bed before committing. If for any reason it doesn’t work out, Casper offers free returns and recycles or donates many returned beds.
- Warranty - The mattress comes with a 10-year warranty in case the bed doesn’t hold up the way it should.
|Size||Dimensions||Price (without discount)|
|TWIN||39” x 75” x 13”||$1,495|
|TWIN XL||39” x 80” x 13”||$1,695|
|FULL||54” x 75” x 13”||$2,395|
|QUEEN||60” x 80” x 13”||$2,595|
|KING||76” x 80” x 13”||$2,995|
|CALI KING||72” x 84” x 13”||$2,995|
The Caper Wave Hybrid updates on its predecessor by adding bounce and durability, making it a premium choice for sleepers looking for top of the line comfort and support.
Side sleepers will sometimes complain about strain in their hips and shoulders. The zoned foams in this bed helps to cushion and support these areas, while the upper layers assist in washing away that strain with conforming comfort. This bed is on the softer side and most side sleepers will like this.
This model was designed for optimal spinal alignment during back sleeping, from zoned support to graduated firmness. Most back sleepers should experience pressure relief that lets them slip into a deep cradle, while the firmer layers keep the back straight all night long.
Most stomach sleepers prefer a firmer bed to keep their back straight as they rest. Though the Wave is at a medium firmness level, the extra support in the stomach and hip area helps maintain proper alignment for most sleepers.
This bed sits perfectly at the crossroads of quick response, motion isolation, and targeted support. These three elements mean it should be easy to reposition, it shouldn’t wake your partner, and each sleeping position is well supported. We’d highly recommend it for combo sleepers.
With great motion isolation and support for virtually every sleeping position, there shouldn’t need to be a compromise when it comes to this bed’s place in your relationship. As the convoluted foam and gels should help keep you cool and the quick response should make it easy to move around, we think this should be a great choice for many couples.
The Wave Hybrid doesn’t have an upper weight limit, as the bed was made to accommodate all shapes and sizes. Used on the right frame, it should last its 10-year warranty, but we have other reasons to recommend it to heavier folks.
Though it’s of medium firmness, the bed includes a transition layer between the coil system and the lighter pressure-relieving foams, making it less likely for heavier folks to sink in and miss out on pressure relief. With 13 total inches, it’s highly unlikely that most sleepers will bottom out, and the comfort layers should be a nice alternative to extra stiff beds often marketed toward heavier folks.
Though the Wave should work for heavier sleepers, lighter sleepers shouldn’t need to worry. With graduated firmness and Zoned Support™ Max, lighter sleepers shouldn’t have to sink into the bed to enjoy the pressure relieving aspects. At a medium firmness, this bed should be just right for most sleepers.
Casper is a trusted name in the mattress industry for good reason. They create valuable beds for reasonable prices, and in this case, a luxury bed for a lower than luxury price. With the Wave Hybrid, they’ve created a versatile and comfortable mattress that should please nearly every type of sleeper.