What is the difference between the original Casper Wave and the new hybrid?
Casper has converted its original Casper Mattress and its luxury model, the Wave, into hybrid designs. The brand has experienced a lot of success with its all-foam beds and is excited to show customers how it has developed its premium product on top of a 7-inch layer of supportive coils.
Our Casper Wave Hybrid mattress overview takes a look at this bed's unique features and evaluates them using our scoring system that looks at aspects like firmness, comfort, and overall value.
Read on for all the important details or skip to the end for a score and summary of this product.
• Excludes Sale
Click the button below and use our coupon code "SLEEPADVISOR10" at checkout.
Excellent Matches For Wave Hybrid
- People who need spinal alignment – The innovative construction in this mattress includes zoned gel pods to keep your spine properly aligned and supported in every sleeping position while relieving pressure points.
- Sleeper looking for optimal pressure relief – This hybrid offers a series of foams over coils that provide pressure-relieving comfort by evenly distributing the sleeper’s weight over the surface of the bed. The AirScape™ foam used to make the third layer is especially adept at washing away nighttime strain.
- Combo sleepers – This product is a comfortable choice for back, stomach, and side sleepers, as well as folks who switch between the three. The use of foam and springs makes this bed easy to move around on, while the Zoned Support Max™ allows most sleepers to take advantage of optimized alignment.
Possible Wave Hybrid Considerations:
- It’s not a budget choice – This model is a higher-end luxury choice for those who prefer motion isolation, comfort, and all-around good sleep over all else. For a less expensive Casper experience, some may want to consider the flagship Casper or Casper Element.
- It’s not an all-foam bed– While this bed has an impressive four layers of foams that include polyurethane, latex, and memory, it also incorporates an innerspring unit further below. The good news is that those who aren’t used to hybrid beds have up to 100 nights to make a final decision on this mattress.
Awards for Casper Wave Hybrid Mattress
Construction: What’s inside Casper Wave Hybrid?
The Casper Wave Hybrid features a luxurious cover made of recycled polyester, upcycled cotton, rayon, and lycra.
This bed stands 13 inches tall. Beneath the cover, there are five layers designed with strategic precision cutouts for comfort and proper ergonomic alignment.
- Below the cover is 1 inch of Casper’s hypersensitive and virtually weightless AirScape™ poly foam, which includes a thin layer of cooling gel. The perforated structure helps to keep sleepers cool throughout the night and promotes pressure relief.
- The second layer is another 1.5 inches of perforated AirScape™ latex foam. Slightly firmer than the top layer, it helps relieve pressure points and improves the surface response time.
- The middle layer is an additional 1.5-inches of AirScape™ memory foam that’s designed to contour to your body. This foam includes three areas of Zoned Support™ Max, which fosters optimum spine alignment by providing firmer support in heavier areas, including the hips, waist, and lower back.
- The fourth layer is 1.5 inches of poly foam that continues to help keep your spine well-aligned. This layer includes gel pods underneath the waist and lower back along with Zoned Support™ Max for the areas where you need it most.
- The base layer is a 7-inch foundation of durable pocket coil springs. This layer functions as the support center for the bed, and the coils should provide more airflow as well.
- The perimeter features a firm foam encasement to enhance edge support.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The Wave Hybrid comes delivered to your door compressed in a box.
The cover is made from soft, breathable material to promote airflow. With tough stitching, it should resist tearing when pulled and shouldn’t wear out quickly.
As you settle into the bed, you should feel yourself sink into a deeper cradle, so you’re still on top of the bed but with excellent body contouring and pressure relief. The mix of foam and coils should make it easy for you to reposition and roll over.
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Medium)
The parts of your body where weight tends to concentrate the most are pressure points. These may include the lower back, hips, or shoulders. To help alleviate any discomfort you feel while lying down, it’s vital to have a bed that’s made to relieve these areas.
Pressure relief is essential for every sleeping position but especially back and side sleepers who need to sink in a little to rest comfortably. While memory foam is the best in the business for pressure relief, it’s often too hot, slow responding, and sometimes causes you to sink in too deeply. That’s where the Wave Hybrid excels.
With three layers of AirScape™ foam and memory foam, sleepers can relieve the pressure on their shoulders and backs without sacrificing other comfort elements. These foams should contour directly to your body shape to allow you to feel a deep cradle in the bed without causing you to overheat or get stuck.
Proper spine alignment is essential for helping to prevent chronic back and neck pain, and support is most important when it comes to spinal alignment. Even the best pressure-relieving elements need a good base to keep sleepers from bottoming out. With graduated firmness levels, the Wave offers support through contoured foam and gel inserts to increase support on the hips while allowing the shoulders and legs to sink in a little more.
This method of creating a firmer center and softer outside helps to keep the spine straight in every sleeping position, making it a fantastic versatile option.
This bed ships rolled and compressed in a box. The Queen size weighs 111 pounds, so it is highly beneficial to have a second person help you move the mattress to avoid injuries.
Beds with a lot of foam on top are rarely known for their cooling measures, but this bed uses both cooling gel and perforations throughout the layers for a breathable feel rather than trapping body heat within the bed. The springs should also help keep the mattress cool by providing additional airflow.
Exceptional Edge Support
The mattress is encased by a perimeter for edge support, which should allow you to use the entire surface area. This is particularly beneficial for couples who need extra sleep space.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Wave Hybrid is adjustable-base compatible for those who prefer a more customized sleeping experience, and, thanks to Casper’s adjustable bases, your sleep space can be ready to go with just a few clicks of a button plus shipping time.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The bed’s cover was certified by OEKO-TEX®, which evaluates textiles at all processing levels for acceptable levels of hazardous chemicals and flame retardants. The foams are CertiPUR-US® certified. This means they meet rigorous third-party emissions standards for safe amounts of potentially harmful substances.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - The Casper Wave Hybrid ships free to your door within the continental U.S. and most of Canada. For a charge, shipping is also available to Hawaii, Alaska, and Northern Canada.
- Trial - Casper offers a 100-night sleep trial for those who want to test the bed before committing. If for any reason, it doesn’t work out, Casper offers free returns.
- Warranty - The mattress comes with a 10-year warranty in case the bed doesn’t hold up the way it should.
|Size||Dimensions||Price (without discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 13”||$1,595|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 13”||$2,195|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$2,545|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$2,695|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$3,295|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$3,295|
The Caper Wave Hybrid updates its predecessor by adding bounce and durability, making it a premium choice for sleepers looking for top-of-the-line comfort and support.
Side sleepers will sometimes complain about strain in their hips and shoulders. The zoned foams in this bed help cushion and support these areas, while the upper layers assist in washing away that strain with conforming comfort. This bed is on the softer side, and most side sleepers will like this.
This model was designed for optimal spinal alignment during back sleeping, from zoned support to graduated firmness. Most back sleepers should experience pressure relief that lets them slip into a deep cradle, while the firmer layers keep the back straight all night long.
Most stomach sleepers prefer a firmer bed to keep their back straight as they rest. Though the Wave is at a medium firmness level, the extra support in the stomach and hip area helps maintain proper alignment for most sleepers.
This bed sits perfectly at the crossroads of quick response, motion isolation, and targeted support. These three elements mean it should be easy to reposition, it shouldn’t wake your partner, and each sleeping position is well supported. We’d highly recommend it for combo sleepers.
With great motion isolation and support for virtually every sleeping position, there shouldn’t need to be a compromise when it comes to this bed’s place in your relationship. As the convoluted foam and gels should help keep you cool and the quick response should make moving easy, we think this should be a great choice for many couples.
The bed includes a transition layer between the coil system and the pressure-relieving foams, making it less likely for heavier folks to sink in and miss out on pressure relief. Standing 13 inches, it’s highly unlikely that most sleepers will bottom out, and the comfort layers should be a nice alternative to extra stiff beds often marketed toward heavier folks.
Though the Wave should work for heavier sleepers, lighter sleepers shouldn’t need to worry. With graduated firmness and Zoned Support™ Max, lighter sleepers shouldn’t have to sink into the bed to enjoy the pressure-relieving aspects. At a medium firmness, this bed should be just right for most sleepers.
Casper is a trusted name in the mattress industry for good reason. They create valuable beds for reasonable prices, and in this case, a luxury bed for a lower than luxury price. With the Wave Hybrid, they’ve created a versatile and comfortable mattress that should please nearly every type of sleeper.