For a healthy morning routine, what’s greener than avocado toast? Maybe avocado beds? Imagine waking up on a mattress that’s luxurious and made from organic and natural materials – that’s Avocado.
This eco-friendly brand is all about offering an environmentally conscious sleeping experience at an affordable price. This hybrid blends a traditional innerspring feel with the elevated comfort features of foam. Each layer was engineered with durability and sustainability in mind and can even be made vegan.
Our in-depth Avocado mattress review covers the important elements you’ll want to consider when deciding if this hybrid is right for you.
Take a minute to read our point-by-point evaluation or skip the suspense and go straight to our summary and scoring section.
Who Do We Think Matches With Avocado?
- Eco-conscious shoppers – From the cover to the coils, this bed comes with several environmental certifications, such as GREENGUARD Gold and OEKO-TEX®, which are both industry-independent organizations that evaluate products to ensure safe levels of hazardous materials. This hybrid is made from upcycled steel, sustainable natural latex, and both the organic cotton and wool are certified by GOTS.
- Traditional innerspring sleepers – Most people are familiar with the feel of traditional innersprings, and Avocado's coil layer provides a similar sensation with an additional foam comfort layer on top. The comfort layer and individual pockets around coils help isolate movement and elevate the traditional innerspring design to an even more comfortable and luxurious feel.
- Scent-sensitive folks – With its commitment to all-natural materials and handcrafted construction, this bed comes straight out of the box with no noticeable off-gassing, which is an industrial chemical smell sometimes associated with recently unpackaged bed-in-a-box brands.
Possible Avocado Complaints:
- It’s a bigger investment. – Built with premium, natural, and certified organic materials, Avocado has a slightly higher price than some bed-in-a-box brands that use inorganic materials. However, we feel that this brand is competitively priced as a hybrid design for the quality of materials used in each of its layers.
Construction: What’s Inside Avocado?
Avocado is a hybrid that is compressed, shipped, and delivered in a box, and the mattress includes two heavy-duty handles on each side for ease of installation and positioning. It works on a variety of frames and bases, including adjustable, and the company recommends a sturdy foundation due to the mattress’ weight.
The cover features organic cotton that is soft and breathable. Under the cotton is natural wool. (Note: In the vegan option, the wool is removed.) This material wicks away moisture and helps with temperature control. In addition, wool is naturally antimicrobial and resistant to dust mites.
Button-tufting using wool yarn rosettes goes all the way through the mattress from top to bottom, effectively sewing all the layers of the bed together. Many bed-in-a-box brands bind their layers together using an adhesive, which can add harmful chemicals and break down over time. Using tufting increases the mattress’ durability because it reduces the chances that the layers will come loose or begin to bunch up over time.
This product measures at 11 inches high, but it can be purchased with an optional fully-attached pillow-top – sometimes called a Euro-style top – that incorporates an additional 2 inches of comfortable Dunlop latex underneath the bed’s cover, bringing the height to 13 inches.
- The first layer is made from 2 inches of GOLS certified 100% Dunlop latex, which is sourced from natural, sustainable Hevea Brasiliensis trees in Asia and is processed with no additional chemicals. This all-natural material is more heat resistant than other traditional foams and aerated to increase airflow, which ultimately helps with cooling.
- The second layeris made from individually pocketed 8-inch upcycled steel coils. These coils are arranged in zones that use three different gauge wires of varying diameters, which are tailored to the pressure point and support requirements of the shoulders, hips, spine, and knees.
- The base layer is 1 inch of the Dunlop latex that is a higher density than the latex used in the second layer, which makes it slightly firmer.
- The perimeter The perimeter is reinforced with stronger coils to provide additional edge support.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
This bed arrives in a box, so after you remove all of the packaging, it may still take a few hours for it to fully takes shape. The soft organic cotton cover is thin but breathable. The layer of wool is great for wicking away moisture and also acts as a natural flame retardant.
You’ll notice what looks like buttons all over the bed. This is the needle-tufting that binds all the layers together without having to use any adhesives or potentially toxic solvents.
The overall look is quite luxurious, and you can tell that no artificial dyes have been used. Other than the natural, creamy surface, Avocado’s signature green color lines the perimeter, giving it an overall eco-luxury feel.
When you first lie down, you may notice that this mattress is very responsive. The latex and coils provide a lot of bounce, which is great for repositioning. You should also feel the zoned coils contouring to your body’s curves, which is important for relieving excess pressure in areas like the shoulders and hips.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
When you’re in any one position for a good length of time, pressure can develop in areas where there is very little skin or fat for cushioning. This can prevent you from getting a good night’s rest and result in morning aches and pains.
The latex foam offers good contouring, but you likely won’t experience the same deep hug you feel with layers of traditional memory foam, even with the enhanced pillow-top version that includes an additional layer of latex. Because the coils are zoned, sinkage varies depending on where pressure is applied. The softer, more pliable coils are at the head and foot for cushioning and less pressure on joints.
If you’re looking for more pressure relief than what this has to offer, you may want to consider adding on one of Avocado’s plush toppers.
Avocado has a very strong support system thanks to the hybrid design featuring firm Dunlop latex on the top and bottom layers and over 1,400 individually wrapped steel coils in the middle. These coils consist of 3 different gauges arranged in 5 ergonomic zones. This means you should feel the right balance of pressure relief and support where you need it most.
The zones at the head and foot of the bed should feel softer than in the middle. This provides a firmer base of support for your hips which helps with spinal alignment. With edge-to-edge support, this bed should do a good job of keeping your weight evenly balanced.
This product arrives at your door compressed in a box. This delivery method cuts down on shipping costs and is much more convenient for you and the company.
Optional White Glove Delivery
If you want to eliminate the hassle of setting it up, the company offers white glove delivery for a small cost. They’ll take care of unboxing for you, and even remove your old mattress at the same time.
You have the option to add a Euro pillow-top which provides an additional 2 inches of plush organic latex for added pressure relief & eco-luxury.
For those who prefer a vegan bed, the company offers a mattress without wool.
Exceptional Edge Support
The coils in the Avocado provide edge-to-edge support that includes specially reinforced coils along the perimeter of the bed. The extra reinforcement on the sides gives it exceptional performance in this category.
Great Motion Isolation
The Avocado with pillow-top performs well with motion transfer. This is owed to the thick layers of latex and individually pocketed coil system. Unlike some traditional innerspring brands where coils are interconnected, pocketed coils compress individually, ensuring that motion transfer is minimal from one coil to another.
This hybrid bed combines latex and innersprings, both known for providing a lot of bounce. This is great for people who change positions a lot or struggle with mobility.
If you’re hoping to reduce your carbon footprint, this brand was built around its mission to offer sustainable and eco-friendly products for your bedroom. This bed is built using natural and organic material and features upcycled steel in its construction.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This hybrid design provides the flexibility needed to be used on an adjustable base. .
Handcrafted in the USA
MADE SAFE® Non-Toxic Certified
This rigorous screening process for toxicity prohibits the use of all known and suspected harmful substances. Unlike other certifications, it prohibits all harmful substances, including flame retardants, anywhere in the mattress. Avocado is proud to be one of the only beds in the world to meet this new gold standard of safety.
This product was certified by OEKO-TEX®, which evaluates textiles at all processing levels for acceptable levels of hazardous chemicals and flame retardants.
It has a GREENGUARD Gold certification that reflects the product’s ability to meet some of the world’s most rigorous emissions standards.
This certification is completed by a lab in Germany with 30 years’ experience in the mattress industry, signifies that the company has gone above and beyond to ensure levels of hazardous chemicals are well-below safety regulation requirements.
Cotton in the cover is GOTS-certified, which means the cotton meets the international third-party standard to be certified organic. The second layer and tufting yarn are made from GOTS certified wool.
The latex is certified by GOLS, which means it meets international standards for organic latex materials.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Free shipping currently is available within the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska. White Glove Delivery is also available in the continental U.S. for an additional fee.
- Trial - The company gives you a full 365 risk-free nights to try out this bed and decide if it works for your sleep needs.
- Warranty - Avocado offers a 25-year warranty that is approximately twice as long as many other bed-in-a-box warranties.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 15”||$959|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 15”||$999|
|Full||54” x 75” x 15”||$1,199|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 15”||$1,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 15"||$1,699|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 15”||$1,699|
Avocado is a great eco-friendly choice for sleepers wanting to invest in long-term durability and sustainability.
The combination of steel coils and medium-firm support latex make for a very supportive bed overall, but side sleepers (learn more)may opt for the pillow-top in order to get the pressure relief they need in their knees, shoulders, and hips, especially if they are significantly lighter than average.
Back sleepers (learn more) should experience the tailored support of the zoned innersprings while receiving pressure relief in their lower spine from the contouring of latex foam.
Stomach sleepers (learn more) may also feel supported by the strong steel coils and higher-density foam layers in this bed, which can help maintain healthy spine alignment even for heavier individuals.
Combination sleepers should find repositioning to be easy thanks to the good amount of bounce and responsiveness of the coils and foam. For combo sleepers who spend a lot of time on their sides, adding the Euro top or a plush topper would help with relieving some of the pressure felt on the shoulders and hips.
Couples looking for a lot of bounce for nighttime activities will find it in this mattress. Thankfully, the individually wrapped coils and thick latex do a good job of minimizing motion transfer that could disturb sleep throughout the night. If one partner finds this bed too firm, opting for the pillow top or a separate topper should help without minimizing any of the supportive features.
The thickness paired with the firmness of this mattress makes it a great choice for sleepers with heavier body frames. Also, the zoned coil system provides reinforced strength in areas where the body tends to be heaviest, helping to ensure the spine remains in alignment.
If you’re a lighter than average sleeper, you may feel that this bed is too firm, especially if you typically sleep on your side. If you are exceptionally light, we recommend adding the Euro pillow top or a plush topper.
Avocado has put a lot of thought into this hybrid to ensure one of the “greenest” sleeping experiences that money can buy, and they’ve backed their claims by meeting the rigorous requirements of environmental certifications and a long 25-year warranty.
Similar products in the high-end, all-natural mattress market can end up costing thousands of dollars in the retail space, and though this mattress is substantially above the average price point for the bed-in-the-box industry, it’s still quite a value among eco-friendly brands.