Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
What if you could buy a mattress and reduce your carbon footprint at the same time? And go to bed each night with the assurance of a chemical-free, all-natural night of sleep?
Avocado launched their bed-in-a-box into the eco-friendly mattress space in 2016, and they are aiming for an environmentally conscious sleeping experience at an affordable price compared to other all-natural brands. Avocado is a hybrid that blends a traditional innerspring feel with the elevated comfort features of foam. Each layer was engineered with durability and sustainability in mind and can be purchased with or without a Euro-style pillow-top, depending on your sleep preferences.
Our in-depth Avocado mattress review has put together a breakdown of important characteristics you will need to consider when deciding if this hybrid is right for you. We will discuss cooling, edge support, motion transfer, comfort, and bounce, as well as environmental certifications to see if this bed delivers on its promises.
Take a minute to read our point-by-point evaluation or skip the suspense and go straight to our summary and scoring section.
You will love Avocado if you:
- Want an eco-friendly bed – From the cover to the coils, this bed comes with several environmental certifications, such as GREENGUARD Gold and OEKO-TEX®, which are both industry-independent organizations that evaluate products to ensure safe levels of hazardous materials. This hybrid is made from upcycled steel, sustainable natural latex, natural New Zealand wool, and certified organic cotton.
- Want a traditional innerspring feel – Most people are familiar with the feel of traditional innersprings, and Avocado's coil layer provides a similar sensation with an additional foam comfort layer on top. The comfort layer and individual pockets around coils help isolate movement and elevate the traditional innerspring design to an even more comfortable and luxurious feel.
- Have higher weight considerations – The thickness paired with the firmness of this mattress makes it a great choice for sleepers with heavier body frames. Also, the zoned coil system provides reinforced strength in areas where the body tends to be heaviest, helping to ensure the spine remains in alignment.
- Have a sensitive nose – With its commitment to all-natural materials and handcrafted construction, this bed comes straight out of the box with no noticeable off-gassing, an industrial chemical smell sometimes associated with recently unpackaged bed-in-a-box brands.
You might not like Avocado if you:
- Are on a tight budget – Built with premium, natural, and certified organic materials, Avocado has a slightly higher price than some bed-in-a-box brands that use inorganic materials. However, we feel that this brand is competitively priced as a hybrid design for the quality of materials used in each of its layers.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Avocado is a hybrid that is compressed, shipped, and delivered in a box, and the mattress includes two heavy-duty handles on each side for ease of installation and positioning. It works on a variety of frames and bases, including adjustable, and the company recommends a sturdy foundation due to the mattress’ weight. Professional installation, also called White Glove Delivery, is also available for an additional fee for most sizes.
The cover is an organic cotton that is soft and breathable. Under the cotton is natural Joma Wool® that is sourced from New Zealand. This material wicks away moisture and helps with temperature control. In addition, wool is naturally antimicrobial and resistant to dust mites.
Button-tufting using wool yarn rosettes goes all the way through the mattress from top to bottom, effectively sewing all the layers of the bed together. Many bed-in-a-box brands bind their layers together using an adhesive, which can add harmful chemicals and break down over time. Using tufting increases the mattress’ durability because it reduces the chances that the layers will come loose or begin to bunch up over time.
This product measures at 11 inches high, but it can be purchased with an optional fully-attached pillow-top – sometimes called a Euro-style top – that incorporates an additional 2 inches of comfortable Dunlop latex underneath the bed’s cover, bringing the height to 13 inches.
- The first layer is made from 2 inches of 100% Dunlop latex, which is sourced from natural, sustainable Hevea Brasiliensis trees in Asia and is processed with no additional chemicals. This all-natural material is more heat resistant than other traditional foams and aerated to increase airflow, which ultimately helps with cooling.
- The second layer is made from individually pocketed 8-inch upcycled steel coils. These coils are arranged in zones that use three different gauge wires of varying diameters, which are tailored to the pressure point and support requirements of the shoulders, hips, spine, and knees.
- The base layer is 1 inch of the Dunlop latex that is a higher density than the latex used in the second layer, which makes it slightly firmer.
- The perimeter is reinforced with stronger coils to provide additional edge support.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
With the pillow-top, Avocado scores between a six and a 6.5 out of 10, with 10 being the firmest (learn more about firmness). Please note that without the pillow-top, this mattress will feel a bit firmer, probably around a 7 out of 10.
When you push down on the bed, you will notice an almost immediate response time and good bounce that comes from the latex foam and innerspring layers. Sleepers should not have trouble moving around on this mattress throughout the night.
Because the coils are zoned, sinkage varies depending on where pressure is applied. Coils in the center are stronger to accommodate the heaviest parts of the body, usually centered around the sleepers’ middle. The latex foam offers good contouring, but you won’t experience the same deep hug you feel with layers of traditional memory foam, even with the enhanced pillow-top version that includes an additional layer of latex.
Overall, this bed can accommodate most sleeping positions, but it is exceptionally suited for back and stomach sleepers.
Back sleepers (learn more) will experience the tailored support of the zoned innersprings while receiving pressure relief in their lower spine from the contouring of latex foam.
Stomach sleepers (learn more) also will feel supported by the strong steel coils and higher-density foam layers in this bed, which can help maintain healthy spine alignment even for heavier individuals.
The combination of steel coils and medium-firm support latex make for a very supportive bed overall, but side sleepers (learn more) may opt for the pillow-top in order to get the pressure relief they need in their knees, shoulders, and hips, especially if they are significantly lighter than average.
The Avocado with pillow-top performs well with motion transfer. This is owed to the thick layers of latex and individually pocketed coil system. Unlike some traditional innerspring brands where coils are interconnected, pocketed coils compress individually, ensuring that motion transfer is minimal from one coil to another.
Overall, most sleepers, except those who sleep very light, should not have a problem sleeping with partners in this bed, with or without the pillow-top.
The coils in the Avocado provide edge-to-edge support that includes specially reinforced coils along the perimeter of the bed. The extra reinforcement on the sides gives it exceptional performance in this category.
Sitting on the side of the bed, your weight will be almost immediately supported by the reinforced steel innersprings that give this bed a very sturdy feel. There is some normal compression in the top comfort layers. If you sleep close to the edge of this bed, your weight will be well supported without any of the typical instability that can occur with some all-foam designs.
- Optional Pillow-top – You have the option of purchasing this brand with or without a pillow-top. Included in this feature is an extra layer of Dunlop latex, which increases the depth of the bed’s comfort layer.
- Trial Period – The company gives you a full 365 risk-free nights to try out this bed and decide if it works for your sleep needs.
- Warranty – Avocado offers a 25-year warranty that is approximately twice as long as many other bed-in-a-box warranties.
- Free Shipping – Free shipping currently is available within the United States, including Hawaii and Alaska. White Glove Delivery is also available in the continental U.S. for an additional fee.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This product was certified by OEKO-TEX®, which evaluates textiles at all processing levels for acceptable levels of hazardous chemicals and flame retardants. It has a GREENGUARD Gold certification that reflects the product’s ability to meet some of the world’s most rigorous emissions standards, and its eco-INSTITUT® certification, completed by a lab in Germany with 30 years’ experience in the mattress industry, signifies that the company has gone above and beyond to ensure levels of hazardous chemicals are well-below safety regulation requirements.
- Certified Natural Materials – Cotton in the cover is GOTS-certified, which means the cotton meets the international third-party standard to be certified organic. The mattress’ second layer and tufting yarn are made from 100% natural Joma® New Zealand wool.
- Environmental Charity Initiative – Avocado has pledged to donate 1% of their profits to environmental causes.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)**||Standard Price (w/o discount)||Pillow-top Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11”||$959||$1,189|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$999||$1,299|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$1,199||$1,499|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,399||$1,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,699||$1,199|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,699||$2,199|
**Please note that because each mattress is handcrafted, measurements may vary slightly. The optional addition of a pillow-top will add an extra two inches to the mattresses height.
Avocado has put a lot of thought into this hybrid to ensure one of the “greenest” sleeping experiences that money can buy, and they’ve backed their claims by meeting the rigorous requirements of environmental certifications and a long 25-year warranty.
Similar products in the high-end, all-natural mattress market can end up costing thousands of dollars in the retail space, and though this mattress is substantially above the average price point for the bed-in-the-box industry, it’s still quite a value among eco-friendly brands.
The optional pillow-top expands this mattress’ versatility and firmness options to suit a wide variety of sleep preferences. Premium building materials like steel coils, wool, and Dunlop latex make the Avocado a highly durable bed.
“Going green” is a worthwhile investment, especially when you’re getting a sustainable product that is built to last.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.