Have you ever wanted to try two mattresses for the price and convenience of one?
Zenhaven has two firmness levels in one handcrafted mattress – meaning your perfect fit may be one flip away. Since the brand offers a 120-day trial period, there is plenty of time to decide which side is right for you.
Zenhaven is manufactured by Saatva, a well-known online-only luxury brand that is much less expensive than comparable showroom mattresses.
Our team was curious about their two-in-one model and the results did not disappoint!
This in-depth review of Zenhaven is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as support, quality, and comfort.
Keep reading for an informational deep-dive or click here to see the summary.
You will love this mattress if you:
- Want a hypoallergenic bed – The natural materials used in Zenhaven will have you feeling good inside and out. Its Talalay latex is resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites, making it a healthier option than many other brands.
- Sleep hot – Latex resists body heat. Instead of feeling deeply contorted by memory-style beds that trap heat, latex will support you with a breathable open cell structure. In addition, pinholes and a 1-inch layer of wool further encourage airflow.
- Want to find the perfect fit – With two levels of firmness in one bed, you can find the side that works best for you. With a 20-year warranty, you can rest assured that you will enjoy the perfect fit for decades to come.
You might not like this mattress if you:
- Want a memory feel – This natural latex bed has more responsiveness than memory foam. However, it also has stronger edge support and stays cooler than traditional memory foam.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Zenhaven is a 10-inch latex mattress designed to be used with a solid platform (not slatted bases). Unlike many other online brands, it is not compressed in a box.
A quilted organic cotton cover surrounds the bed. There is a natural look to the cotton as Saatva decided to avoid harmful bleaching agents that would have unified the cover’s color. It shows no sign of weakness when tugging or pulling at the top and sides; the stitching is strong.
As there are two distinct sides with different firmness levels – Luxury Plush and Gentle Firm – we will break down the layers on the Luxury Plush side, as this is the side used most by owners.
- The first layer under the cover is 1 inch of 100% organic New Zealand wool. The wool naturally creates a flame-retardant barrier and absorbs and wicks away moisture. In addition, it helps air circulation and temperature regulation.
- The second layer is 1.5-inches of Talalay latex that serves as the proprietary “5-Zone Comfort Layer.” This means that there are separate sections with pinhole designs of different densities that work together to promote spinal alignment and comfort. There is added support in the hip and shoulder regions.
- The third layer is 3 inches of Talalay latex that provides enhanced support. It is softer than the next level.
- The fourth layer is 3 inches of Talalay latex that is firmer than the previous level. After flipping the mattress, this firmer layer provides immediate support for those who need it.
- The fifth layer is 1.5-inches of Talalay latex that makes up the Gentle Firm side of the bed, which is surrounded by wool. It is firmer than the comfort layer on the Luxury Plush side.
It is important to note that the brand is made with American Talalay latex, which denotes the extensive process the latex undergoes as it transforms from a liquid to solid state. The process creates larger cells and airflow than a less-rigorous Dunlop process, thereby helping with increased temperature regulation and mattress breathability. Since the Talalay process is refined, it produces extremely consistent material that is slightly more expensive.
All-natural latex, natural wool, and organic cotton come together to form a luxurious experience for the sleeper. The brand boldly claims that their all-natural latex will outlast all other latex based on durability tests, which the length of their warranty stands behind.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Most people prefer a medium-level of firmness because it accommodates sleepers of nearly every position. This level typically provides a balance of pressure relief and support.
As mentioned, there are two different firmness experiences for buyers of this mattress. The brand says the Gentle Firm is 18% firmer than the Luxury Plush. We have rated the Luxury Plush a 4.5 and the Gentle Firm a 7 level of firmness on a 10-point scale with 10 being the firmest.
The cotton cover is soft and pleasing to the touch. There is a quick response time after pressing in and releasing.
You will lay on top of the bed instead of in it. While lying down, repositioning is easy and there is a slight bounce to each side.
Most back sleepers will be comfortable on either side of the mattress due to the proprietary zoning structure. However, they will experience a little more support from the Gentle Firm side, which they may prefer.
Side sleepers need to be mindful of having enough pressure relief in the hips and shoulders. Because of this, they will want to try the Luxury Plush side first. The zoning in the second layer adds support to these areas, but our team agrees that there was adequate pressure relief.
Stomach sleepers find added benefit from the Gentle Firm side. It provides more support to the hips and keeps them from sinking into the bed and disrupting spinal alignment. However, most will be comfortable on the Luxury Plush side as well.
Significantly heavier back and stomach sleepers may need to try the Gentle Firm side first for additional support so they do not sink too far into the mattress and out of alignment. Significantly heavier side sleepers will want to try Luxury Plush to get the benefits of pressure relief.
A huge value in choosing this mattress is the ability to find the firmness level that works best for you. If you decide to try the other side of the bed after delivery, the Zenhaven team will come back to your home and flip the mattress for no additional cost.
Although not quite as advanced as memory foam when it comes to motion transfer, latex beds tend to perform well. While this is not as important for deep or solo sleepers, it is important light sleepers or those easily disturbed by a partner getting up or repositioning during the night.
Zenhaven performs exceptionally well as a latex bed in regards to motion isolation. Even though there is a bit of bounce, the effects were minimally transferred throughout the bed.
Unlike many other online-only brands, Zenhaven is not compressed and shipped to your door in a box. While these brands can offer an enhanced level of convenience, oftentimes they miss the mark when it comes to edge support. There are two types to consider when buying – sitting on the edge and lying on the edge.
When sitting on the edge, the Zenhaven performs better than foam mattresses and slightly better than other latex beds we have reviewed (see all of our bed reviews).
While lying on the bed, the edge support remains satisfactory. There is minimal compression and our team reported staying in one place instead of feeling forced out of the bed.
- Trial Period – 120-day trial period. If you decide to return the product, you will get a full refund, minus the initial $99 transportation cost.
- Warranty – The 20-year warranty is noticeably longer than other brands.
- Free White Glove Delivery – Since the bed is not compressed in a box like many online brands, the company will set up a 4-hour delivery window to bring the Zenhaven into your home and set it up in the room of your choosing.
- Free Mattress and Foundation Removal – The white glove delivery team will remove up to two pieces at no extra cost.
- Natural Materials – While not all parts of the bed are made from 100% natural materials, there are many natural materials in the Zenhaven. Talalay latex, wool, and organic cotton are in the different levels of the mattress.
- Hypoallergenic and Antimicrobial – The bed is naturally mold, microbe, and dust mite resistant.
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$1,299|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$1,349|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$1,699|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$1,899|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$2,499|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$2,499|
Saatva’s Zenhaven brand delivers a luxury latex mattress with the convenience of two firmness choices!
Saatva’s latex bed brand, Zenhaven, lives up to the company’s reputation for luxury and quality while providing the unique twist of two firmness options.
If you are looking for a hypoallergenic latex bed made with natural materials, Zenhaven offers a premium solution to your needs. With quality construction, this mattress is built to last and provide a significant return on investment.
Buyers can expect substantial savings with Saatva’s direct-to-consumer model when comparing to brands found in stores. Comparable mattresses cost approximately $4,000, making the Zenhaven a great value for its price.
Sources & References
- Protein and allergen analysis of latex mattresses. – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Author: Jill Thompson
I’ve been self-employed for almost four years and I would not change it for anything! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals with the right attitude and determination.
I’m an avid traveler (25+ countries and counting) that loves to meet new people doing amazing things.
When I’m not researching for the Sleep Advisor, you can find me reading, running, traveling, golfing, or meditating.
I wish you the very best on your journey!