Ever wanted to try two mattresses for the price and convenience of one? Zenhaven includes two firmness levels in one handcrafted mattress, meaning your perfect fit could be just a flip away. Manufactured by Saatva, a well-known, online-only luxury brand, this bed is made from natural and organic materials to combine your love for the environment with your love for sleep.
Our in-depth Zenhaven mattress review is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as support, quality, and comfort.
The brand offers a 120-day trial period, so there should be plenty of time for you to decide if the bed is right for you, and as you can flip it over for a different firmness, you’ll save yourself the hassle of exchanging it if one side doesn’t feel just right.
Keep reading for an informational deep-dive or click here to see the summary.
Who Do We Think Matches With Zenhaven?
- Folks with Allergies – Zenhaven uses natural materials like Talalay latex, natural cotton, and organic wool. As these materials are resistant to mold, microbes, and dust mites without any help from chemicals—you should be able to breathe easier than ever.
- Eco-friendly Consumers – If you want a comfortable mattress from a company that cares about the environment and creating fair labor conditions, Zenhaven is probably for you. They use all American-made Talalay latex for a better product, lower carbon footprint, and less guilt.
- People who Sleep Hot – Latex naturally resists body heat. Instead of feeling sucked into the mattress like some memory-style beds that trap heat, latex will support you with a breathable open-cell structure. Strategically placed pinholes and the 1-inch layer of wool further encourage airflow while being a natural fire retardant.
Possible Zenhaven Complaints:
- Fans of Memory Foam – Latex has a distinctive feel different from memory foam, offering pressure relief without the heat retention and with much faster response time, making repositioning simple. However, if you prefer to sink in slowly, this bed might not be right for you.
If you want to see some other picks, check out our top 12 for 2020 beds right here.
Construction: What’s Inside Zenhaven?
There are two distinct sides with different firmness levels—Luxury Plush and Gentle Firm. We will break down the layers on the Luxury Plush side, as this is the side used most by owners. On top is a quilted natural cotton cover, protected with Guardin®, Saatva’s exclusive botanical antimicrobial treatment.
- The first layer under the cover is 1 inch of 100% organic New Zealand wool. The wool naturally creates a flame-retardant barrier and absorbs and wicks away moisture. It also helps with air circulation and temperature regulation.
- The second layeris 1.5-inches of Talalay latex that serves as the proprietary 5-Zone Comfort Layer. This means that there are separate sections with pinhole designs of different densities that work together to promote spinal alignment and comfort. There is added support in the hip and shoulder regions.
- The third layer The third layer is 3 inches of Talalay latex that provides enhanced support. It is softer than the next level.
- The fourth layer is 3 inches of Talalay latex that is firmer than the previous level. After flipping the mattress, this firmer layer provides immediate support for those who need it.
- The fifth layer is 1.5-inches of Talalay latex that makes up the Gentle Firm side of the bed, which is surrounded by wool. It is firmer than the comfort layer on the Luxury Plush side.
The brand is made with American Talalay latex, which denotes the extensive process the latex undergoes as it transforms from a liquid to a solid state. This process creates larger cells and more airflow than a less rigorous Dunlop process, thereby helping with increased temperature regulation and mattress breathability. Since the Talalay process is refined, it produces extremely consistent material that is usually slightly more expensive.
All-natural latex, organic wool, and natural cotton come together to form a luxurious experience for sleepers. The brand boldly claims that their all-natural latex will outlast all other latex-based on durability tests, which the length of their warranty stands behind.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Unlike many other online brands, Zenhaven is not compressed in a box. Each purchase comes with a free white-glove delivery service, where movers will hand-deliver the mattress to the room of your choice.
Once unwrapped, Zenhaven stands 10 inches tall and must be placed on a solid platform (not slatted bases) for optimal support. There is a natural look to the quilted, natural cotton cover that surrounds the bed, as Saatva decided to avoid harmful bleaching agents that would have unified the cover’s color. Soft to the touch, the cover shows no sign of weakness when tugging or pulling at the top and sides; the stitching is strong.
When you sit or lie down on the Luxury Plush side of the bed, it feels a little bouncy, though not quite as bouncy as an inner-spring mattress. It should spring back up as soon as you reposition while allowing you to sink into a deeper, supportive cradle.
Firmness Scale: 4.5/10 (Luxury Plush) 7/10 (Gentle Firm)
Pressure relief is important based on which sleeping position you prefer. Side sleepers tend to need more pressure relief for their shoulders and hips, while back and stomach sleepers might need more support to keep them aligned. While memory foam is traditionally the king of pressure relief, Zenhaven pulls out all the stops in their five-zone comfort layer available on both sides.
This 1.5-inch layer includes strategically placed holes to provide added support in the lumbar region while creating extremely accurate pinpoint pressure relief across the surface of the bed. As it is made from all-natural Talalay latex, the pressure relief should be uniform across the bed and provide an exceptionally fast response time, making repositioning a snap.
Support is extremely important, especially for back sleepers and heavier folks. With the five-zone comfort layer, the bed should provide targeted support even on the Luxury Plush side for most sleepers; however, some might need a little more enhanced support.
Luckily, Zenhaven has an option for these folks: simply flip the mattress. On the Gentle Firm side, the firmest Talalay latex layer should provide plenty of support and more of a gentle cradle for those who like to lie on top of their mattress, rather than in it. As latex is versatile, there should be adequate hip and lumbar support to create optimal spinal alignment while sleeping on your back or stomach without causing a build-up of pressure on the shoulders of side sleepers.
Multiple Firmness Options
Zenhaven includes two firmness options in one bed: Luxury Plush and Gentle Firm. This means you can decide which is right for you with little to no hassle. With handles woven into the cover, it should just take a few minutes to find the right firmness for you.
Free White-Glove Delivery
Unlike many mattress brands, Zenhaven isn’t compressed into a box. You’ll receive free, professional white-glove delivery to the room of your choice with your purchase. Zenhaven will even take your old mattress for free if you’d like.
Latex is exceptionally breathable, and with wool and cotton covering the whole mattress, air should flow freely throughout the material. The latex even has holes in the zoned support layers, which adds to the ventilation.
Latex is one of the most bouncy and responsive materials behind classic innerspring mattresses. Great for sexually active couples, latex has a quick response, with deeper bounce the further you push into the mattress.
Using eco-friendly materials is important to Saatva; that’s why Zenhaven uses only American-made Talalay latex, organic wool, and natural cotton. With a smaller carbon footprint, these materials may be a little more expensive but are more sustainable and good for the environment.
Adjustable Base Compatible
All of Saatva’s beds are made to be compatible with an adjustable base, and as Zenhaven requires a solid foundation anyway, you may want to try out their Lineal Adjustable Base for a weightless sleeping experience.
Handcrafted in the USA
Zenhaven uses only American-made Talalay latex, but their beds are also assembled and shipped from the USA.
Hypoallergenic and Antimicrobial
The Zenhaven natural cotton cover is treated with Saatva’s exclusive Guardin® antimicrobial botanical treatment that resists dust mites and bacteria without the use of harmful chemicals. With no harmful bleaches, this bed is natural and hypoallergenic.
OEKO-Tex® Standard 100 Certified
This shows that Zenhaven has been evaluated by a third-party organization that determined its latex contains safe amounts of potentially harmful substances like heavy metals, phthalates, and pesticides.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Zenhaven ships free throughout the United States.
- Trial - You can try out the mattress for 120 nights to decide if it’s right for you. If you decide to return it, you’ll be refunded minus the cost of returning the bed.
- Warranty - This bed carries a 20-year warranty, meaning it stands behind its durability guarantee.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 10”||$1,399|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 10”||$1,599|
|Full||54” x 75” x 10”||$1,999|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 10”||$2,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 10”||$2,999|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 10”||$2,999|
Zenhaven is a great choice for those who want affordable luxury in their eco-friendly bed. With two firmness levels and hypoallergenic qualities, this versatile mattress should be a favorite among shoppers who want to try two firmnesses in one bed.
On the Luxury Plush side, side sleepers should enjoy the deep cradle and pressure point relief in the hips and shoulders without experiencing discomfort while repositioning. Because of the zoned comfort layer, there should still be plenty of support for the rest of the body to keep the spine in alignment while allowing the hips and shoulders to sink in gently.
Zenhaven uses graduated firmness in the layers, getting more dense and firm as your body settles deeper into the bed. This makes it an exceptional option for back support, especially with a zoned comfort layer to allow pinpoint pressure relief and support in all the right areas. However, significantly heavier sleepers might sink in a little too much on the Luxury Plush side and may want to try out the Gentle Firm first.
Lighter stomach sleepers may sleep well on the Luxury Plush side, but most people would probably prefer the sustained support on the Gentle Firm side of the mattress. When you sleep on your stomach, you need enough support to keep you from sinking in and losing alignment in your spine.
Latex is one of the best materials for combination sleepers because it allows for easy repositioning. As the material is fast responding, you should be able to roll around comfortably without noticing any craters in your bed or waiting for the pressure relief to kick in. Most sleeping positions should work well on this bed.
Latex tends to be bouncy and offers quick response time, which is great for sexually active couples. If you’re heavier or prefer more bounce, you may prefer the Gentle Firm side for more support.
Significantly heavier sleepers may want to try out the Gentle Firm side of the bed first. This side should offer plenty of support without compromising pressure relief, but it may not be as comfortable for side sleepers. Heavier back sleepers and stomach sleepers should sleep well on the Gentle Firm side.
The Luxury Plush side should be great for light-weight sleepers because it offers exceptional pressure relief while offering enough support for those who don’t sink in too much. Whatever position you sleep in, this bed will likely allow you to sink into a gentle cradle without building pressure against your body.
Zenhaven is extremely versatile, with two sides that should fit a wide range of sleepers. If your sleeping position doesn’t feel just right, you can always flip the bed and try out another firmness. With zoned support and plenty of measures for cool sleeping, most sleepers should be able to find what they’re looking for in this bed.