Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
One coil system, or two?
Two hybrids born from two dedicated companies battle it out in our Helix vs. WinkBed comparison. Helix is passionate about helping their customers find the mattress that suits their exact needs and has designed a useful quiz to guide shoppers to the bed designed specifically with them in mind. WinkBed promises luxury in a box from a company that has devoted themselves to caring for their consumers, and the environment, through clean materials.
Keep reading to see the similarities and differences between these two brands. Then check out our in-depth reviews for more information on each product:
Quick Comparison: Helix vs. WinkBed
MATTRESS18 or click the button below
- Customizable bed
- Hybrid foam and innerspring
- 100-nights trial period
SLEEPADVISOR300 or click the button below
- Well distributed support
- Reduces heat retention
- Good for heavier individuals
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Helix provides 9 different bed-in-a-box hybrids, each aimed at a specific type of sleeper’s needs. There are 6 Luxe versions along with a big-and-tall option. We are focusing on the Standard Dusk model, as that is a fairly flexible medium comfort option that should work well for many sleepers.
This is a foam and coil hybrid that is compressed and boxed when shipped.
The Standard beds feature two covers, the top one a machine-washable polyester, the bottom a breathable Jersey knit. Luxe beds come with a pillow top and the company’s proprietary Ultra-Cool cover containing phase-changing technology. The Standard beds are 10 inches tall, the Luxe versions measure 14 inches.
- The first layer is a 2-inch Helix Dynamic Foam. This is polyurethane-blended latex alternative that is designed to gently contour to the body to provide relaxing pressure relief. An added layer of Gel Visco foam is included in the Luxe version of this bed.
- The second layer contains a 1-inch High-Grade Polyfoam that should further enhance this bed’s pressure relieving effects.
- The third layer holds a 6-inch Wrapped Coil system. The springs are pocketed to allow them to react individually to your weight and movements. This section features comfort zones in the Luxe line.
- The base layer consists of a 1-inch DurDense Foam. This should minimize sleep disruption by absorbing motion transfer from the above coils.
Note: The basic materials in each mattress model should be similar, though construction may vary slightly across each comfort option.
This coil and foam hybrid ships compressed in a box. The company offers Softer, Luxury Firm, Firmer, and Plus options. We will focus on the Luxury Firm construction and will note differences across the products as-needed.
The cover is made up of a Tencel and stretch-nit fiber blend. Most of WinkBed’s mattresses are 15 inches in height. The Softer bed is 16 inches as it contains an extra inch of Hypersoft Foam.
- The top layer is comprised of a Medium-Firm Euro-Pillow Top. The firmness of the pillow tops varies across the different comfort options. This model features a cool, pressure-relieving 1-inch Gel-Infused Hypersoft Foam and 1-inch Premium Gel Foam.
- The second layer holds Breathable Micro Air-Springs standing 2.4 inches tall. These individually pocketed coils are designed to promote airflow and should support or cushion the body to suit your needs.
- The third layer is a .75-inch LumbarLayer. This should provide enhanced support to promote neutral spinal alignment. This material should be thicker in the Softer model.
- The fourth layer holds Individually Wrapped Coils at 8 inches in height. These springs are zoned to provide pressure relief or support where the body needs it most.
- The final layer consists of a 2-inch Support Foam that should minimize motion transfer by absorbing movement from the upper coils.
- The perimeter features a 4.5-inch ExtraEDGE Support System. This is comprised of reinforced foam to promote stability as you lie along the edges of the bed.
Note: The construction of the Plus mattress is slightly different to accommodate a higher weight limit.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our comfort (firmness) scale determines the feel of each product by ranking them between 1-10. This assumes that 1 is soft as a cloud and 10 is as firm as cement. Both brands offer multiple comfort options spanning a wide range of comfort feels.
Helix’s 9 options fall between 2 and 9 on our scale. The Standard Dusk holds a 6, which should feel like a medium to medium-firm to most shoppers.
WinkBed’s Luxury Firm sits at a medium-firm 6.5. The company’s Softer mattress earned a 4.5, the Firmer a 7.5, and the Plus ranks at 8.
Both brands boast quickly responding materials and a hybrid feel due to their layers of foam combined with coil systems. The Dusk should feel breathable and stretchy with enhanced pressure relief. WinkBed should provide a smooth and cool feel with enhanced support, especially in the lumbar region.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
The sinkage levels should vary across the different Helix models. Some may offer a deep hug while others, like the Dusk, present a gentle cradle.
The softer options should have minimal bounce, while the firmer ones should be more moderate. The Dusk version should have moderate bounce, allowing for easy repositioning.
WinkBed should provide a gentle cradle with a minimal bounce in the upper materials and a deeper bounce once the coils become activated. This should also aid combination sleepers when changing position.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Both products should provide minimal motion transfer when compared to other bed-in-a-box hybrid products. There may be more movement than a traditional all-foam mattress, but less than what is typically experienced in a classic innerspring as the foam materials should help to dampen vibration in the coils. This should benefit couples and co-sleepers with restless partners or pets.
Comparing Edge Support
Helix’s products should provide good edge support with some compression at first but then more stability as you begin to rest on the coils. WinkBed’s two coil systems, along with the reinforced edges, should provide exceptional support around the edges of the bed. People seeking a sturdy feel from edge-to-edge might prefer WinkBed’s enhanced support.
Helix vs. WinkBed Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Jersey knit and polyester||Stretch-nit and Tencel fabric|
|Materials||Polyfoam, dynamic foam, memory foam, micro coils||Coils and foam|
|Cooling||The coils and foams are designed to breathe, an optional cooling cover is available||Tencel, cooling gel, pocketed coils, two coil units|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradle/Deep Hug||Gentle Cradle|
|Bounce||Minimal/Moderate||Minimal, Moderate Deep Level Bounce|
|Trial Period||100 nights||120 nights|
|Certifications||CertiPUR-US®||CertiPUR-US®, OEKO-TEX® |
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Products ship within the United States and Canada||Free within the continental United States, White Glove service is available|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Helix Price (w/o discount)||WinkBed Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Helix or WinkBed?
Which model is the perfect bed for you? If you’re still trying to determine the ideal product for your individual needs, check out the following recommendations to see how each mattress stacks up.
We Would Recommend Buying Helix if You are Looking for:
- A guided recommendations. Helix offers a guided quiz to help shoppers figure out which of their products contains the proper features to suit their sleep habits and needs.
- Multiple comfort options. There are 9 models available, each focusing on a different sleep preference. Luxe versions with enhanced cooling and mattress toppers are available for 6 of these beds. The company also offers double-sided products with different comfort feels on each side, and a big-and-tall option is available for purchase.
- Comforting pressure relief. This option holds a little more foam and fewer coils than WinkBed. The first two layers are designed to promote pressure relief as the materials contour to the body.
We Would Recommend Buying WinkBed if You are Looking for:
- An environmentally friendly product. WinkBed boasts certifications for both their cover materials and their foam materials. The springs utilize recycled steel to reduce environmental impact.
- Multiple comfort options. The company offers three comfort options spanning soft, medium-firm, and firm feels. A plus-sized model is also available for sleepers with more considerable weight concerns.
- Enhanced support. With two coil systems and reinforced edges, sleepers should experience solid support across the entire mattress. The LumbarLayer should allow for extra support in the lower back region, as well.
So, there you have it. Both brands offer many comfort options, including big-and-tall models for a variety of shoppers. Helix should be the way to go for those seeking extra pressure relief and a guided shopping experience. WinkBed should appeal to shoppers looking for enhanced support and environmentally friendly practices.
Feel free to head over to our in-depth reviews for a more comprehensive peek at the inner workings of both brands.