Two hybrids go head-to-head in our Sparrow and Helix comparison.
Both brands offer universal feels and multiple customization options so you can find a mattress that designed just for you and your personal sleep needs. From Nest Bedding’s personalized Split Cali King to Helix’s optional cooling cover and guided personal comfort quiz, to both brands offering multiple comfort levels. Both of these companies work hard to make sure you get exactly what you’re looking for out of a mattress.
Read through this comparison to see how these two beds stack up. Then check out these in-depth reviews for a closer look at each product:
Quick Comparison: Sparrow Signature Hybrid and Helix
SLEEPADVISOR12 or click the button below
- Enhanced cooling properties
- Deep hug experience
- High quality foam and coils
MATTRESS18 or click the button below
- Customizable bed
- Hybrid foam and innerspring
- 100-nights trial period
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Sparrow Signature Hybrid Construction
This is a foam and coil hybrid product that is compressed and boxed for shipping.
The 1-inch cover of this 12-inch mattress features Gel-Infused Memory Foam combined with Super Soft Thermic Phase Change Fabric quilted into it to promote cooling.
- The top layer contains a 3-inch Energex™ Temperature Responsive Foam. This cutting-edge material is designed to provide immediate responsiveness as you change positions.
- The 2nd layer contains a 3-inch TitanChil Endurance Foam®. This hyper-elastic material is designed to provide immediate responsiveness as you change positions.
- The innerspring layer is constructed with 6-inch Quantum Edge Pocketed Coils. These provide stability to the softer materials and should minimize motion transfer and enhance edge support.
- At the base there is a layer of dense foam to support the innersprings.
Helix Dusk Construction
Helix offers 9 different beds, 6 of which offer Luxe versions, we will break down the construction of the Dusk mattress. This mattress is a foam, latex alternative, and coil hybrid that is shipped compressed inside a box.
This 12-inch bed boasts a Helix Two Touch Design cover that features a double layered design. The top polyester cover should feel soft and the bottom cover is made of Jersey knit fabric with a fire barrier woven into it. The company offers a guided quiz to match you up with the comfort level that should work best for you.
- The first layer holds a 2-inch Helix Dynamic Foam. This is a latex alternative blended with polyurethane foam to promote pressure relief and ease of movement.
- The second layer is comprised of a 1-inch High-Grade Polyfoam. This should provide pressure relief that adapts to your body.
- The third layer contains 8-inch Wrapped Coils. These contain reinforced edge support along with an individually pocketed design to minimize motion transfer and is designed to adapt to the sleeper’s weight.
- The final layer is made up of a 1-inch DurDense Foam. This is meant to provide overall support to the entire mattress.
Most materials in each Helix product are the same, but may vary in density or layer order to create different feels.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
These beds have been ranked using a comfort scale which utilizes a 1-10 system to determine the feel and firmness of these two items. This system assumes that 1 is the Softest feel and 10 would feel very Firm for a bed.
The Medium Sparrow comes in at a 5.5, making it a true Medium to slightly Medium-Firm depending on the sleeper. The company also offers a Plush at 2.5 and a Firm that has earned an 8.5.
The Standard Dusk has earned a 6, making it a Medium or possibly Medium-Firm depending on how you experience this comfort level. The company has a wide range of products that fall between a 2 and 9 on our comfort scale. Each option is designed for a different type of weight or sleep position. For example, the Dusk is meant to appeal to side sleepers who like a medium feel, while the Plus is the company’s Big and Tall version.
Both of these products offer multiple comfort levels to best suit your individual needs. Both feature Medium options that land very closely on our Firmness scale, though the Medium Sparrow may feel just a little Softer to some sleepers.
The Sparrow’s comfort layers should provide more of a memory foam feel on the surface and proprietary foam, which combines with the supportive coils below for enhanced pressure relief. Helix uses a proprietary latex alternative that should feel a little springier and should provide ample support.
The Sparrow’s memory foam layers are fairly slow to respond, but the deeper materials respond and reshape very quickly. The Dusk’s materials have a quick response and also reshape easily. This should make both items a valid option for combination sleepers who move around and change positions frequently.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
The Sparrow should offer a deep hug that contours to the body. Shoppers who choose the Dusk should experience a medium cradle that also conforms to the sleeper. Sinkage may vary across the various comfort feels of the Helix products.
Both options should offer moderate bounce due to the coil systems, though Helix may edge a little ahead in this regard due to the latex-like materials which should feel a little springier when compared to Sparrow’s memory-foam like layers. Either way, you should never feel “stuck” when trying to move around on either bed.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Motion transfer may not always be a top priority for mattress shoppers. Those who do value this feature should be satisfied with either brand as they both dampen vibrations very well using foams. Either bed should present minimal motion transfer compared to other hybrids.
Comparing Edge Support
Many shoppers do not consider edge support to be a dealbreaker when choosing a bed. Anyone who does look for enhanced support should find both of these items perform above average thanks to their reinforced coils that run right up to the edge of each bed.
Sparrow Signature Hybrid vs. Helix Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Gel-Infused Memory Foam and Thermic Phase Change fabric||Polyester and Jersey knit|
|Materials||TitanChil Endurance Foam, SmartFlow Support Foam, Quantum Edge Pocketed Support Coils||Helix Dynamic Foam, High-Grade Polyfoam, Wrapped Coils, DurDense Foam|
|Cooling||Thermic Phase Change technology, gel-infused foams, copper, aerated materials, pocketed coils||Latex alternative is meant to be breathable, individually pocketed coils|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Medium Cradle|
|Trial Period||365 nights||100 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free in the contiguous United States, ships to Canada, White Glove can be arranged through the company||Free in the United States, an added fee is required to ship to Canada|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Sparrow Price (w/o discount)||Helix Price (w/o discount)|
|Split Cali King (1 side only)||$1,149||N/A|
Should I Buy Sparrow or Helix?
Still not sure which of these two products is right for you?
Both brands offer Medium to Medium-Firm comfort and easy repositioning due to quick-responding materials with good bounce. The differences largely lie in the levels of sinkage, cooling technologies, and customization options.
Check out our recommendations below to see who we feel each hybrid bed is best-suited for and why.
We Would Recommend Buying Sparrow Signature Hybrid if You are Looking for:
- A traditional memory feel with cooling technology. This mattress offers multiple cooling technologies including gels, copper, aerated materials, individually pocketed coils, and phase changing fabric that should help to offset the deep hug of this bed.
- A deep hug. You should sink very deeply into this mattress and experience a comforting contouring of the body for enhanced pressure relief.
- Customizable comfort levels. The split Cali King option allows you to choose a different comfort feel on each side to ensure co-sleepers’ preferences are catered to.
We Would Recommend Buying Helix if You are Looking for:
- Customizable mattress options. This company offers Standard and Luxe versions of their mattresses, along with a guided quiz so you can choose your perfect match from their wide range of comfort levels. Buyers can opt for a proprietary cover featuring cooling technology, as well as a big-and-tall mattress.
- Personalized contouring. Both the hybrid foam comfort layer and supportive coils are designed to compress and pushback to suit your body’s needs.
- A latex feel with good bounce. The proprietary materials in this product should feel springy like latex, combined with the coil system, this should provide ample bounce to aid in repositioning.