Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Have you narrowed down your new mattress search to a coil and foam mix?
Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid offers an ultra-luxurious, sleek design, and fantastic performance. The brand claims to have “the most innovative copper infused foam on the planet,” as well as a Lifetime Warranty and a Lifetime Comfort Guarantee.
This in-depth review of Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as support, comfort, and quality. This review focuses on brand’s Medium option. There are also Plush and Luxury Firm options available through the company’s website.
Keep reading for the full review or find the summary here.
You will love Alexander Signature Hybrid if you:
- Are looking for serious value – This product is brought to you by Nest Bedding, a well-known regional store that has successfully expanded online and sells directly to consumers. Because of their model, they cut back on expenses without having to pay a middleman. When it comes to pure value for money, Nest is hard to beat.
- Want exceptional support – This well-rounded mattress is not only comfortable, it offers proper spine alignment and pressure point relief. It is especially great for back and stomach sleepers and its strong edges will not roll you out of bed. If you would like to use your mattress for sitting and other activities (such as for sex), you will love the extra support this bed brings compared to traditional memory foam.
- Need great cooling – One thing is certain – you will never “sleep hot” in this bed. Highly breathable cover materials and a strategically-placed copper-infused foam in a lower level provide one of the best cooling capabilities you will see in any mattress. Innersprings are naturally cooler due to the air filling the spaces between coils.
- Want high-quality foam and coils – With high-density foam and premium coils, you will experience comfort without feeling trapped or sinking so far you fall out of alignment. Nest uses only the highest quality foam for the upper layers that bring the pressure relief and contouring so many love and a deep bounce only found in innersprings.
You might not like Alexander Signature Hybrid if you:
- Want a traditional innerspring sensation – This particular model feels more like a memory foam unit instead of an innerspring mattress. Hybrid beds bring different sleeping sensations than traditional construction, but they also have added features that cause people to shy away from traditional brands.
- Have off-gassing sensitivities – Like most products with memory materials, there is a short window of time where the product airs out and has a slight smell. This is over in a matter of a day or two and is to be expected. The bed will be completely odorless afterward.
Still want to explore more options? Check out our top 2019 bed picks with a variety of choice.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
This Nest Bedding model is a hybrid mattress designed to be used with non-flexible bases, such as closely slatted frames, platforms, and adjustable bases. The brand offers their own products on their website. The mattress is compressed and shipped in a box, although you would never be able to tell after the packaging is removed and it fully expands.
It is 14 inches thick with durable layers. There are handles on the side panels, which is an amazing feature that we rarely see on mattresses – and they make repositioning their product so much more convenient.
The non-removable cover has a natural feel since it is made out of a cotton and polyester blend. It is quilted to 1/4-inch of gel-infused memory foam and uses Thermic Phase Change Cooling Fabric. The quilting is specifically designed to enhance the airflow for all the foams and to relieve pressure between the bed and the body.
- The first layer beneath the cover is designed for cooling and comfort. It is 3 inches thick, made out of TitanChil Endurance Foam®.
- The second layer consists of 1.5 inches of copper-infused Energex foam. Since copper is a heat conductor, it pulls heat away from the body and helps keep the surface cooled off.
- The third layer is 1 inch of SmartFlow Support foam. It acts as a transitional layer that helps with spine alignment and cooling.
- The fourth layer is made out of 8 inches of Quantum® Edge pocketed coils. They ensure deep compression support and help air travel through the mattress.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
The mattress has three firmness levels. On a scale of 1-10 (1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest), you can choose between their Plush at 2.5 to 3, the Medium at 5 to 6, or their Luxury Firm at 8.5 to 9.
The medium version reviewed here offers a balanced amount of support, sinkage, and contouring. When compared to other products, there is a shallower sinkage in this model, but it still provides a comfortable contour.
To the touch, the top has a premium, soft feel. The quality of the materials is evident.
The brand has done a lot to ensure a cool night’s sleep. Not only does the bed have coils (which are very well-known for airflow), but all of the comfort levels have elements that work together to provide cooling. This is something to consider if you typically sleep hot but like memory materials.
In addition, coils provide much better bounce than all-foam mattresses, and this model has a plenty of bounce to it.
While the memory layer has slower responsiveness, there is a quick responsiveness when the other levels are engaged. By not sinking as far into the mattress, having a relatively quick response time, and high levels of bounce, repositioning can be navigated with ease.
We think this bed is especially good for back and stomach sleepers due to the springs that are very supportive and help with spinal alignment. Because there is less sinkage, these positions feel quite supported. There should not be any neck/back pain or uncomfortable bowing of the spine.
Side sleepers can massively benefit from the top comfort layers, which relieve classic pressure points in their shoulders and hips. In addition, the springs add proper alignment.
If this were an all-foam mattress, we might recommend the Luxury Firm version for significantly heavier sleepers. However, the coils are strong and we feel that this option is very versatile for all weights and sleeping positions. Likewise, those who need more pressure relief may consider the Plush option, as it has increasingly effective comfort layers.
If you toss and turn in bed during the night and have a partner, motion transfer is important to consider. For sleepers who are not easily disturbed, it is not such a big issue.
Memory foam beds are generally the best when it comes to motion isolation. Due to this model’s construction, there is slightly more motion transfer.
However, motion transfer is extremely limited and the individually wrapped coils help to isolate it. In combination with the comfort layers, there is relatively low motion transfer – especially for a bed with bounce and coils in it.
The Quantum® Edge coils provide solid edge support while sitting and lying on the side of the mattress. While not everyone uses these positions, good edge support is a selling point for those who do.
While there is a little bit of compression in top layers while sitting and lying down, the coil layer is very sturdy. You should feel well-supported along the edge and not roll out (like you can with some foam mattresses).
- Discount – Use “SLEEPADVISE8” coupon for 8% off!
- Trial Period – 100-night sleep trial. (Please note that international sales, excluding Canada, are final.)
- Warranty – Limited Lifetime Warranty. This is very impressive, considering most other companies offer 10-15 years or less!
- Lifetime Comfort Guarantee – The brand claims this is an industry first! It means that if you want to exchange your mattress for another size or model after the 100-night sleep trial, you only have to pay 50% of the purchase price of the new bed. During the trial period, after the first 30 days, you may exchange the mattress for another product.
- Shipping – Nest Bedding ships worldwide. There is free shipping to the 48 contiguous states and it is approximately $150 to ship to Alaska and Hawaii. Contact the brand to coordinate White Glove Delivery Service.
- CertiPUR-US® Certification – The foams Nest Bedding uses meet the CertiPUR-US® standard, meaning they are less harmful to the environment. They meet a minimum threshold on items such low Volatile Organic Compound emissions and are made without harmful materials such as mercury, lead, and formaldehyde.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 13”||$799|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 13”||$899|
|Full||54” x 75” x 13”||$1,099|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 13”||$1,199|
|King||76” x 80” x 13”||$1,499|
|Split King – 1 Side Only||38” x 80” x 13”||$899|
|Split King – Both Sides||76” x 80” x 13”||$1,799|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 13”||$1,499|
With an effective and luxurious design, Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is a breath of fresh air in a highly saturated market. It performs exceptionally well and has a balanced feel.
Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is a premium option that combines support with comfort in a way that fits most sleepers and also keeps them cool.
It may have a slightly higher price point than other online competitors, but it is a huge value when considering the quality of materials and its combination foam and spring design. It costs much less than comparable in-store models.
Its use of safe materials, a Lifetime Warranty, and a Lifetime Comfort Guarantee means that the company is serious about standing behind their product! Its 100-night trial period can help you see just how well it performs.
Sources and References
- Changes in back pain, sleep quality, and perceived stress after introduction of new bedding systems – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
- 5 Surprising Ways Your Mattress Affects Your Sleep And Health –
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.