Settled on an innerspring and foam mix? It’s arguably the best of both worlds, with pressure-relieving comfort foam and supportive coils.
Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid offers an ultra-luxurious, sleek design, and fantastic performance. The brand claims to have “the most innovative titanium infused foam on the planet,” as well as a Lifetime Warranty and a Lifetime Comfort Guarantee.
This in-depth review of Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as support, comfort, and quality. This review focuses on the brand’s Medium option. There are also Plush and Firm options available through the company’s website.
You can read our full review, or you can skip to the end to see our final score for the medium option.
Excellent Matches For Alexander
- Hybrid lovers – With high-density foam and premium coils, you will experience comfort without feeling trapped or sinking so far you fall out of alignment.
- Sweaty sleepers – One thing is certain—you shouldn’t “sleep hot” in this bed. Temperature-adjusting cover materials plus gel-infused memory foam should help you stay cool and comfortable. Further, innersprings are naturally cooler due to the air filling the spaces between coils.
- Indecisive shoppers – Nest Bedding cares about your sleep—those that are unsure about the feel that they need can feel comforted by the company’s Comfort Exchange that allows you to switch out your firmness level if it doesn’t feel quite right.
Possible Alexander Considerations:
- It doesn’t have a classic innerspring feel. – This particular model feels more like a memory foam unit instead of an innerspring mattress. For those who prefer the feel of a traditional innerspring, this could present some issues. Hybrid beds bring different sleeping sensations than traditional innerspring constructions. Despite this, these beds also have highly beneficial added features with foam worth consideration.
- It still might not be firm enough – If you’re a regular stomach sleeper or weigh heavier, you may find the bed’s Medium option isn’t enough support for you. In this case, you should consider purchasing their Firm model instead.
Construction: What’s inside Alexander?
This Nest Bedding model is a hybrid mattress designed to be used with non-flexible bases, such as closely slatted frames, platforms, and adjustable bases. The brand offers its own products on its website in the event you’ll need to purchase a new foundation. This bed comes in three different firmness options (Plush, Medium, and Firm), and this review will focus on the Medium model.
It is 14 inches thick with durable layers. There are handles on the side panels, which is a convenient feature on mattresses—and they make repositioning their product easier.
The bed’s cover is quilted to 1 inch of gel-infused memory foam and uses Thermic Phase Change Cooling Fabric. The quilting is specifically designed to enhance the airflow for all the foams and to relieve pressure between the bed and the body.
- Below the quilted cover is 3 inches of Energex™ Temperature Responsive Foam is temperature responsive, highly adaptive, durable, and breathable foam specifically designed to energize in response to body heat.
- Going deeper, you’ll find 1 inch of SmartFlow Support foam. This 3-pound foam acts as a transitional layer that helps with spine alignment before the coil unit.
- The innerspring is made out of 8 inches of individually wrapped motion isolation coils. These 16-gauge coils ensure deep compression support throughout the bed.
- The final layer supplies support to the coils with a piece of 1-inch dense foam that weighs 3 pounds.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Alexander shows up to your home compressed in a box, so you have the treat of opening the box and watching the foams expand and springs pop up.
It has a sleek black and white look with handles for easy moving, and the top looks and feels plush. When you initially press down on the surface, you should feel the soft, quick-responding foam that offers a soft contour around your body. You should also feel some bounce as you get in and out of bed.
Firmness Scale:2.5/10 (Soft) 5.5/10 (Medium) 8.5(Firm)
A bed that doesn’t meet your pressure relief needs will leave you with uncomfortable aches in pain-prone areas like the hips, shoulders, and knees. Memory foam is kind of the king of pressure relief because it fills in the gaps between your body and the mattress.
Alexander’s 4 inches of comfort foams should soften pressure points and accommodate different body shapes and types. The upper memory foam layer should give a healthy amount of contouring and is slower to respond, while the lower foam bounces back quickly.
You should feel a deep cradle on Alexander, meaning you shouldn’t sink too deeply into the bed. This should make repositioning easier in addition to the springy base.
If pressure relief is extra important to you, think about trying the Plush option, which should be a bit softer and cushion the shoulders well.
A bed with good support can help promote proper alignment of the spine. This is important because it should reduce your chances of developing or worsening pain.
If you’re looking for an ultra-supportive bed, hybrids are a great place to start because of the spring base. The Quantum® Edge Zone pocketed coils in Alexander are extra durable, even around the perimeter, which should help your spine feel as straight as a rod—say goodbye to backaches! These springs are designed to resist sagging, so heavier sleepers might find this to be a perfect fit, especially the Firm option.
Multiple Firmness Options
There is no such thing as one-size-fits-all when it comes to mattresses. Three different firmness choices (Plush, Medium, and Firm) make it easier for you to find the right feel. Plus, if it doesn’t feel quite right, the company will exchange your mattress for a different firmness free of charge.
Organizing delivery can be a pain, especially for those who work during regular business hours. This bed is shipped in a box right to your doorstep so that you can unroll it at your convenience.
Hybrids tend to allow for a lot of airflow through the springs, a great feature for those who sleep warm. Plus, a combination of gel-infused foam and Thermic Phase Change Fabric should help dissipate heat that can get trapped on the surface.
Exceptional Edge Support
By including foam rails around the bed’s perimeter, this brand maximizes the amount of surface area the mattress offers by providing edge-to-edge consistent support. By using a softer foam, the edges shouldn’t have a harsh feel of stiff wire.
Many people appreciate the bounce of an innerspring bed —it makes moving around effortless for those with mobility problems and even sexually active couples. Alexander has a good amount of springiness because of the Quantum® Edge pocketed coils that are durable and supportive.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This bed is compatible with an adjustable base, and for convenience, Nest Bedding sells their own adjustable beds on their website as well.
Handcrafted in the USA
The foams Nest Bedding uses meet the CertiPUR-US® standard, meaning they are less harmful to the environment. They meet a minimum threshold on items like low Volatile Organic Compound emissions and are made without harmful materials such as mercury, lead, and formaldehyde.
Discount - Use “SLEEPADVISOR12” coupon for 12% off!
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - There is free shipping to the 48 contiguous states, and it is an additional charge to ship to Alaska and Hawaii. Outside the U.S., the company only ships to Canada, but according to their website, they are working on expanding shipping to more international markets.
- White-Glove Delivery - Contact the brand to coordinate White Glove Delivery Service.
- Trial - 100-night sleep trial.
- Warranty - Limited Lifetime Warranty. This is very impressive, considering most other companies offer 10-15 years or less!
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 14”||$949|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 14”||$1,149|
|Full||54” x 75” x 14”||$1,349|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 14”||$1,599|
|King||76” x 80” x 14”||$1,799|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 14”||$1,799|
|Split King||38” x 80” x 14”||$1,149|
|Split Cali King||36” x 84” x 14”||$1,149|
With an effective and luxurious design, Nest Bedding’s Alexander Signature Hybrid is a breath of fresh air in a highly saturated market. It performs exceptionally well and has a balanced feel.
Side sleepers can massively benefit from the top comfort layers, which relieve classic pressure points in their shoulders and hips. In addition, the springs add proper alignment. The Plush model will allow for extra sinkage, which many side sleepers love.
This bed, especially in the Medium and Luxury Firm options, is good for back sleepers due to the springs that are very supportive and help with spinal alignment. Because there is less sinkage, there should not be any neck/back pain or uncomfortable bowing of the spine.
If you sleep in the prone position, you might find that most of your weight is centered on the hips. Alexander is resistant to sinking, so the average person should find their hips well-supported. Those that are exclusively stomach sleepers might like the Firm choice the best.
Repositioning is an important consideration for combination sleepers when shopping for a new mattress. The quick-response foams and bouncy springs in the Alexander make mobility a non-issue. Plus, the neutral feel of the Medium bed should work for a variety of positions.
Alexander has a great versatile feel that works for most body types and sleeping positions. This bed does have a bit of bounce, so you might be able to feel your partner getting in and out of bed or changing positions. Most people shouldn’t be bothered too much, but if you are a light sleeper, you might want to look into one of Nest Bedding’s all-foam options instead.
The highly durable Quantum® Edge Zone pocketed coils and longer-lasting dense base foam are supportive and help reduce sagging. Heavier sleepers (specifically those who sleep on their stomach) will likely benefit from the brand’s Firm model that has a little more oomph.
Lighter folks will appreciate the softer comfort foams and quilted cotton top that gently support the body. Some, especially those who sleep on their side, could be better suited on the Plush iteration in order to better interact with the support system because the upper layers give in more easily.
The Alexander Signature Hybrid is a premium option that combines support with comfort to fit most sleepers.
It may have a higher price point, but it is a huge value for the quality of materials and its combination foam and coils. Its use of safe materials, plus a Lifetime Warranty, mean the company is serious about standing behind its product.