Our comparison between the Alexander and Saatva will examine two hybrids that are as different as night and day.
Do you prefer deep sinkage and enhanced cooling properties? Or is a low profile and extra lumbar support more your speed?
Whichever you prefer, you can take comfort in the fact that both companies dedicate themselves to providing luxury feels for affordable prices. Nest Bedding backs their Signature with a comfort guarantee, while Saatva promises a combined 100 years of experience has created the ultimate in comfort and support.
Read through our comparison guide and then check out these items individual in-depth reviews to help determine which mattress is best for you:
Quick Comparison: Alexander and Saatva
SLEEPADVISOR8 or click the button below
- Enhanced cooling properties
- Deep hug experience
- High quality foam and coils
- Classic innerspring feel
- Affordable luxury
- Quality construction
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Alexander Signature Hybrid Construction
This item is a foam and coil hybrid, bed-in-a-box product.
The polyester and cotton blend cover boasts a 1-inch Gel-Infused Memory Foam along with Thermic Phase Change fabric quilted into it. This should help to keep you from feeling overheating as you sink into the comfort layers. The total height of this mattress is 14 inches.
- The top layer is a 3-inch TitanChil Endurance Foam layer. This is meant to promote cooling and pressure relief.
- The following layer consists of a 1-inch SmartFlow Support Foam. This material should promote a neutral spine and even weight distribution while the aerated nature of the foam should promote airflow.
- The bottom layer is comprised of an 8-inch Quantum Edge Pocketed Support Coil system. This should maximize the usable sleep surface and help to minimize motion transfer. Both of these features should be ideal for co-sleepers.
- For coil support there is an additional layer of foam.
This mattress is a hybrid product that combines memory foam and two coil units. It comes with free white glove delivery.
The cotton cover encasing the 3-inch Euro Pillow Top has been treated with GuardinⓇ, an antimicrobial treatment designed to inhibit bacteria growth. This company offers two mattress heights, 14.5 inches and 11.5 inches. We will focus on the construction of the 14.5-inch mattress as that is closest to the height of the Signature, differences between the two heights will be noted below.
- Below the pillow top is a thin layer of memory foam that’s designed to help support the back’s lumbar region.
- The second layer consists of individually wrapped coils. These coils should help to minimize motion transfer and provide personalized comfort and support as the coils are meant to react to your individual body weight and position. They also add breathability to the bed by promoting airflow.
- The bottom layer is made up of steel coil base support. This system is devised of recycled, tempered steel and is meant to provide overall stability for the entire bed.
- The perimeter uses high-density foam to provide optimum edge support and prevent sagging.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
We are using a comfort (firmness) scale that uses a 1-10 system to determine the feel of these two beds. This system sees 1 as the Softest you can get and 10 as the absolute Firmest. Both items provide multiple comfort options.
The Signature’s Medium ranks at a 5-6 out of 10. The company’s Plush option comes in at a 2.5-3 and the company’s Luxury Firm has earned an 8.5-9.
The Saatva’s Luxury Firm sits at a 6.5 out of 10 on this scale. The Plush Soft should feel like a 4 and the Firm version has earned an 8.
As you can see, a wide range of comfort feels are available from each brand. Alexander tends to span a little more of the scale, swinging from very Soft to very Firm. Saatva tends to stay a little closer to the Medium range with all options.
The Alexander should provide exceptional pressure relief as the thick foam comfort layers and coil system, which is designed to compress or stand firm depending on your weight and position. Saatva’s mattress should excel with enhanced support, having two different coil systems to cradle your shape and support your spine.
Stomach sleepers may prefer the Firmer end of the spectrum, while side sleepers typically opt for Softer feels. Shoppers of all preferences should be able to find a specific comfort option that best suits them thanks to the wide variety available across these two brands.
The Signature should present slower response time in the upper levels, with a quicker deep response. The Saatva should respond quickly with a slower response time noted in the lumbar region.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Those who want a deep, comforting hug should appreciate the deep sinkage of the Alexander. Buyers who would rather float on top of their mattress will likely prefer the gentle cradle of the Saatva.
Both products should contain plenty of bounce, though you may experience more on the Saatva due to the dual-coil systems. Either way, both products should do well in providing easy repositioning for combination sleepers.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Many buyers do not consider motion transfer to be a dealbreaker when choosing a new and perfect mattress for them, which should mean either product is a viable option for most shoppers. If this does happen to be a considerable concern for you, you may want to consider the Signature, as its multiple layers of foam should dampen slightly more energy than the connected steel coils inside the Saatva which could allow movement to travel throughout the bed.
Comparing Edge Support
Alexander features a row of Quantum Edge Coils to stabilize the edges. The Saatva contains reinforced foam. Both of these items should offer exceptional edge support, which is often a plus to those who share their mattress with partners, children, or pets as co-sleeping can lead to disruptions as partners move around in the night.
Alexander and Saatva Compared Side-by-Side
|Features||Alexander Signature Hybrid||Saatva|
|Cover||Thermic Phase Change fabric and Gel-Infused Memory Foam quilted into a Polyester and Cotton blend cover||Cotton and comfort foam Euro Top treated with GuardinⓇ|
|Materials||SmartFlow Support Foam, Quantum Edge Pocketed Support Coils, TitanChil Endurance Foam||Memory foam, pocket coils, steel coils, reinforced foam perimeter|
|Cooling||Thermic Phase Change fabric, Gel-Infused Memory Foam, Copper, SmartFlow for airflow, coils for airflow||Double coil systems|
|Firmness||5-6/10||6.5/10 (Luxury Firm)|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradle|
|Trial Period||100 nights||180 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes, only the 11.5-inch|
|Shipping||Ships to the United States and internationally, shipping is free in the contiguous states, White Glove service can be arranged||Free in the contiguous United States, also ships to Alaska and Hawaii, White Glove service is free in the contiguous U.S.|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes, a factory in Canada serves those customers|
|Size||Alexander Signature Hybrid Price (w/o discount)||Saatva Price (w/o discount)|
|Split King (1 side only)||$1,149||N/A|
|Split Cali King (1 side only)||$1,149||$2,098|
Should I Buy the Alexander Signature Hybrid or Saatva?
These two brands offer incredibly different products that are likely to suit specific shoppers’ needs. Different sinkage levels, construction, and feels are likely to mean there is one clear-cut winner for your own personal needs. Check out our wrap-up below that takes a closer look at which item is likely to work for you.
We Would Recommend Buying the Alexander Signature Hybrid if You are Looking for:
- Foam with enhanced cooling. Multiple gels, phase changing technology, and individually pocketed coils should ensure you will never overheat even as you sink deep into this mattress.
- A deep hug. Shoppers should notice deep sinkage and a contouring that hugs the body. This should provide comforting pressure relief.
- Customizable comfort. With multiple Split King options available, buyers may choose to order two different comfort feels to suit couples who require different comfort levels.
We Would Recommend Buying Saatva if You are Looking for:
- Enhanced lumbar support. Back sleepers should enjoy the extra level of lumbar support offered by the foam and coil system inside this mattress.
- A gentle cradle. Buyers who prefer to sleep “on” and not “in” their bed should love the gentle cradle the Euro Top is meant to provide.
- A classic innerspring feel with a lot of bounce. This product provides a classic innerspring feel with two coil systems. Shoppers should enjoy ample bounce that should ease movement.
These two products offer different coil experiences are likely to appeal to different types of sleepers. Comfort levels, construction, sinkage, and cooling are quite different across the two. This should help you to narrow down your shopping choice to the bed that fits your own personal priorities.
Whichever mattress you decide on, you can rest easy knowing both brands offer quality products with a lot of value. Check out our in-depth reviews for a closer look at each brand.