Our Layla and Saatva Mattress comparison for 2021 looks at the dual-sided memory bed and one of the first luxury online mattresses.
The first bed comes from Layla. This mattress comes from a company that recently gave their copper infused bed a black and white makeover. The competition delivers the Saatva, a brand that strives to provide top-notch luxury at a competitive price.
This comparison looks at two strikingly different beds and pulls together the most important points in order to help you bring the right mattress into your bedroom. For even more details on either of these beds, check the links below.
Quick Comparison: Layla vs. Saatva
SLEEPADVISOR or click the button below
- Double-sided firmness
- Copper-infused memory foam
- 120-nights trial period
- Classic innerspring feel
- Affordable luxury
- Quality construction
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
The brand ships their memory foam bed roll-compressed in a large rectangular box. The detachable cover’s top is composed of a polyester/Lycra/viscose blend permeated with temperature regulating ThermoGel®.
When flipped over in the Firm setting, the bottom foam becomes the top. In total, this mattress stands at 10 inches tall.
- The first foam uses a 3-inch of copper-infused memory material for both comfort and contouring. Copper, an antimicrobial material and an exceedingly effective heat conductor, aids in keeping the bed cool and sanitized.
- The next layer uses a 2-inch support foam. This resembles what most folks would identify as the egg crate pattern. This design fosters temperature regulation while delivering added pressure release.
- The third level, a thick 4-inch foam makes up the foundation and supplies Layla’s central support source.
- The final layer presents the Firm 1-inch comfort layer. This is the same, but thinner, copper-infused material that was used up top. Users can expect similar results but with a firmer feel.
Unlike many online brands, Saatva is not compressed in a box but is delivered in its full size and installed at your home by a two-man crew. This service is complimentary with each order.
Saatva’s surface is finished with a cotton Euro Pillow Top with 3 inches of blended foams underneath. This product comes in both an 11.5-inch and 14.5-inch make, for this construction break down you will see the 11.5-inch version.
- Below the pillow top is a memory foam that is in the center of the bed and is designed to provide support to the lumbar region.
- The second layer consists of pocket coils. These are designed to contour to curves and isolate motion. They also provide airflow throughout the bed.
- The base is made up of steel support coils. These present an hourglass design that functions to provide support and durability.
- The sides incorporate a high-density foam to promote edge support and prevent sagging.
The 14.5-inch edition has a support coil layer that is 3 inches thicker. The manufacturer says that both models present the same feel and this addition merely an aesthetic feature.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
The team here at Sleep Advisor rates mattress firmness on a scale from 1 to 10, with a 10 being like a rock. Saatva’s Luxury Firm scores at a 6.5. This score categorizes this as a medium feel. We’ve rated the Firm model at an 8, while the Plush Soft scores a 4.
The coil on coil design helps to add extra support while also creating an open channel system for air to flow through. This features design is to keep the sleeper from overheating at night.
The Luxury Firm would be an excellent choice for combination sleepers who switch up sleeping positions at night. These individuals would also like the springiness in this design, as it should help facilitate their movements at night.
Folks wanting a softer bed, which might include some side sleepers, may like the Plush Soft version as it could further enhance pressure relief, while those who like an exceptionally firm bed could enjoy the Firm. This might be some stomach sleepers, as they often need this additional support to help elevate their hips to help keep their back aligned.
Moving to the other brand.
The soft side of Layla scores at a 4 on our firmness scale while the Firm is a 7.
The memory foam is infused with copper, a technology that firms up under pressure. This allows Layla to compete well with other memory bed brands, as this tech gives Layla extra support for a memory product.
Like most memory beds, Layla has slower response times, so combo sleepers should not expect too much responsiveness. The materials have that contouring and pressure relieving qualities that many have come to expect from memory foam. Both sides work well for varying sleeping positions, but it is worth noting that many side sleepers might prefer the Soft side while some stomach sleepers would like the Firm.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Layla’s Soft side fosters a classic memory foam hug while the firm side delivers a gentle contouring cradle. As this is a memory bed, sleepers are likely to experience no bounce when rolling around.
Saatva, in the Luxury Firm, should leave the brands customers resting in a gentle cradle. This spring on spring action is quite bouncy and if you have children, you may want to keep them away, as it may be reminiscent of the bouncy castle at their last birthday party. The feature is also great for repositioning sleepers and couples wanting to put some spring into their sex life.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Because Layla has nearly zero bounce it has a higher rate of isolation motion, making this our pick for containing movement. The foams used in its construction help trap movements so they do not ripple across the mattress to cause a disturbance to your partner.
Because Saatva does add quite a bit of spring to your sleep, some motion does trickle across the surface when movement occurs. But if you consider the spring over spring design, it does really well at capturing motion, as the foams help trap most of the movement.
Comparing Edge Support
If you have a tendency to hog the bed, you may be unknowingly forcing your partner to the edge and if your bed has weak edges, it can be a real nightmare for your loved one. While Layla may have better motion isolation, Saatva takes the award for edge support. This bed has a layer of dense foam around the perimeter to keep sleepers secure.
Layla, although lacking edge reinforcement, does well for an all foam bed-in-a-box brand. Sleepers should feel supported sleeping on this option’s sides, though they may experience a little compression when sitting on edges.
Layla vs. Saatva Compared Side-by-Side
|Height||10”||11.5” or 14.5”|
|Cover||Polyester blended with viscose, lycra, and ThermoGel®||Cotton Euro Pillowtop with blended foams|
|Materials||Copper-infused memory foam, high-density poly foam, convoluted support foam||Memory Foam, Pocket Coils, Steel Coils|
|Cooling||Copper wicks away memory foam heat, and the convoluted layer promotes airflow.||Coils|
|Firmness||4 or 7/10||6.5/10 (Luxury Firm)|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradle|
|Bounce||No; some surface level on the Firm side||Yes|
|Trial Period||120 nights||180 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes (only in 11.5”)|
|Shipping||Ships to U.S. and Canada||Ships to the United States with free White Glove Delivery in contiguous U.S.|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Layla Price (w/o discount)||Saatva Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Layla or Saatva?
There is a lot to consider. Here are some final details to help make your decision easier.
We Would Recommend Buying Layla if You are Looking for:
- Motion isolation. If you can feel your partner’s every movement on your current mattress, you might love how Layla’s deep hugging memory foam stops motion, so you can keep on sleeping.
- Dual-sided firmness. Customers can enjoy either a Soft of Firm feel. If one is not working out, simply flip it over to the other for a more relaxed fit.
- Deep pressure relief. This memory bed should help wash away strain and prevent pressure build up. Side sleepers may especially enjoy how the soft side feels on their joints.
We Would Recommend Buying Saatva if You are Looking for:
- A luxury mattress. Saatva gives customers up to 14.5 inches of premium (luxury) materials that should leave them sleeping like a baby. This should be well worth the money, especially when compared with competing brands.
- Bounce. Bounce is great for repositioning sleepers but could also be fun to take advantage of for sexual activities with your partner.
- Multiple firmness options. Customers can order this product in one of thee options: Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, or Firm. These options offer feels anywhere from a deep hug to a minimal cradle.
So which bed won you over, if any? Was it the soft conforming memory foam of Layla? Or the premium luxury of Saatva?
Before you drop anything into that virtual shopping cart, remember to check out the in-depth reviews for both Layla and Saatva to get all the facts.