Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Wondering what the difference between a hybrid and all-foam bed is?
Our comparison between WinkBeds and Loom & Leaf bed will explore the benefits of a foam and coil hybrid system and a memory foam construction. We’ll also let you know which types of sleepers should be most comfortable on either mattress.
Will you opt for WinkBed’s hybrid, offered by a company that builds their products by hand as soon as an order is placed? Or will you prefer Loom & Leaf’s eco-friendly memory foam mattress provided by parent company Saatva, a sponsor of the Sustainable Furnishings Council?
Quick Comparison: WinkBeds and Loom & Leaf
Sleepadvisor200 or click the button below
- Well distributed support
- Reduces heat retention
- Good for heavier individuals
- Gently-cradled feeling
- Luxury bed at an affordable price
- Reduces heat retention
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This is a hybrid combining coils and foam that is compressed and boxed for simple shipping.
The Tencel© cover features a stretch-knit design to promote breathability. The mattress is 15 inches in height, the Softer model is 16 inches as it boasts a thicker pillow top to create the plusher feel. We will discuss the construction of the Luxury Firm model, as that should be a relatively versatile feel that could suit most sleep types.
- The first layer consists of a 2-inch Euro-Pillow top containing an inch of Gel-Infused Hypersoft Foam and an inch of Premium Gel Foam. This should provide cushioning and pressure relief along with temperature control.
- The second layer contains an Innerspring Micro Air Spring™ Coils that is 2.4 inches tall. Foam wrapped around the coils should absorb motion to reduce the transfer of movement. The springs are designed to allow air to flow freely between the coils.
- The third layer is comprised of a High-Density Foam LumbarLayer. This should provide enhanced lumbar support to promote proper alignment of the spine.
- The fourth layer holds a Targeted 7-Zone Individually Wrapped Coil System. These coils are wrapped in foam to reduce motion transfer. The 7 zoned areas are designed to produce both compression and support where the body needs it most.
- The final layer is comprised of a Support Foam standing 2 inches in height that should further absorb motion and create a stable foundation for the upper materials.
- The perimeter boasts 4.5 inches High-Density Foam Rail for enhanced support around the bed’s edges.
Note: The company does not provide full specifications on their website.
Loom & Leaf Construction
This is an all-foam item that is shipped fully ready to use without being compressed.
This 12-inch bed features a circular-knit certified organic cotton cover with a 5/8-inch foam quilted into it. The cover features a natural thistle flame retardant to reduce the chemicals used in the product. The company offers Relaxed Firm and Firm models, we will break down the Relaxed Firm model.
- The top layer boasts 2 inches of a Spinal Zone Gel layer. This is a proprietary design consisting of airflow-promoting convoluted foam infused with cooling gel throughout. A laminated layer of cooling gel is then affixed on the flat side, focusing on the lumbar section.
- The second layer consists of 2.5 inches of Premium Visco-Elastic Memory Foam. This is meant to provide a deep level of support and contouring.
- The third layer contains a Transition Loft Pad that is 2 inches thick. Sleepers should experience support and a deep level of contouring that acts as a buffer between the comfort and foundation levels.
- The bottom layer holds a 5.5-inch High-Density Foam Core that should provide overall stability for the entire mattress.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our comfort (firmness) scale helps to determine the feel of each product by assigning a value of 1 through 10. This indicates that 1 is whisper soft and 10 is firmer than concrete.
WinkBed’s Luxury Firm holds a score of 6.5, which should feel medium to medium-firm. The Softer model is ranked 4.5, Firmer sits at 7.5, and the Plus model features a score of 8.
Loom & Leaf’s Relaxed Firm option has a score of medium to medium-firm score of 6. The company’s Firm version is ranked 7.5.
Both brands offer solid options for shoppers preferring medium, medium-firm, or firm feels. If a soft or medium-soft comfort level is more your speed, WinkBed is the way to go. This should be of particular interest to side sleepers.
The hybrid should provide fast-responding materials that prevent the sleeper from feeling stuck in one spot. The all-foam model features a cover that cradles your shape near the surface, along with a fast-responding layer and foams that reshape slightly quicker than many traditional memory materials. They both offer lots of cooling technologies to prevent overheating.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Both brands should offer minimal sinkage, resulting in a gentle cradle. Combination sleepers should have no trouble repositioning on either mattress due to the quickly responding foams and minimal sinkage. If repositioning is a major concern, consider the WinkBed as the all-foam option should provide minimal bounce, while the hybrid should provide good bounce from the lower coils.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Either mattress should offer minimal motion transfer, as multiple layers of foam should absorb movement, reducing disruption due to restless partners. If motion control is a key feature for you because you sleep light, Loom & Leaf should be of particular interest, as its all-foam construction should work a little better to dampen vibrations than the springs inside the hybrid.
Comparing Edge Support
Edge support may be important to couples or people who sleep with their children or pets … or just anyone who likes to hug the edge of the bed at night! The memory bed should offer above-average support with less compression than most all-foam bed-in-a-box brands. If you especially concerned with edge support, however, consider the WinkBed as the coil systems and reinforced edges should provide more stability.
WinkBeds and Loom & Leaf Compared Side-by-Side
|Features||WinkBeds||Loom & Leaf|
|Cover||Tencel© and stretch-nit fabric||Organic cotton and foam|
|Materials||Foams and coils||Memory and poly foams|
|Cooling||Two coil units, pocketed coils, cooling gel, Tencel© fabric||Convoluted foams, cooling gels, breathable cover|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradle||Gentle Cradle|
|Bounce||Minimal upper bounce, moderate deeper bounce||Minimal|
|Trial Period||120 nights||120 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free in the continental United States, White Glove Delivery is optional||Free in the contiguous United States and parts of Canada, free White Glove Delivery is available|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||WinkBeds Price (w/o discount)||Loom & Leaf Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy WinkBeds or Loom & Leaf?
Still torn between the hybrid or the all-foam products? Let’s take a look at each bed’s top features for a better idea of who they are best-suited for.
We Would Recommend Buying WinkBeds if You are Looking for:
- Exceptional support. Two coil systems, a LumbarLayer, and reinforced edge support promise a sturdy mattress that should offer stability to almost any shopper. A Plus version offers even more stability for sleepers with higher weight concerns.
- A little more bounce. The dual coil system design should provide ample bounce from the lower springs. The upper layers should minimize bounce to help reduce motion transfer.
- A softer comfort option. Both companies offer medium to firm comfort levels. If you’re in need of a softer mattress, WinkBed’s plusher option should work well.
We Would Recommend Buying Loom & Leaf if You are Looking for:
- A more eco-friendly product. Organic cotton, natural fire barriers, and materials with low emission levels promise an antibacterial sleep experience that’s also friendly for the environment.
- An all-foam experience. Pressure relief and enhanced motion control are just a couple of features provided by the all-foam construction of this bed. A gentle cradle and cooling properties work to reduce overheating despite the dense foam materials.
- A unique delivery system. Shoppers will not need to wait for their bed to decompress before they are able to use it as it should ship fully formed without compression. The company offers free White Glove service so your new bed can be set up in your home for you.
Either brand should be a great choice for shoppers seeking pressure relief, cooling, and a medium to firm comfort level. WinkBed should appeal to those who prefer a softer feel and anyone looking for a little more bounce and edge support. The memory bed should work well for shoppers who want an eco-friendly product with minimal motion transfer and enhanced pressure relief.
Don’t forget to click through to our in-depth reviews for each brand for a more comprehensive look at these products.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.