In Nectar vs. Loom & Leaf, we are comparing two memory beds that both stand out in the online mattress market.
First, there’s Nectar, which caught our attention with its spectacular value that combines quality materials, affordable price, and an unbeatable 365-night sleep trial giving you a full year to decide if it is best for you.
Next, there’s a luxury memory foam brand from the eco-friendly Saatva company, which offers multiple firmness options, free at-home delivery, and is built with American foams using a percentage of sustainable sources.
Both are built to melt away your pressure points and isolate your motion with quality foam layers, but how do they differ?
If you’d like detailed analysis for both beds, we’d also recommend you check out our in-depth reviews:
Quick Comparison: Loom & Leaf and Nectar
- Gently-cradled feeling
- Luxury bed at an affordable price
- Reduces heat retention
- Relieves pressure
- Traditional memory foam feel
- 365-night trial period
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Nectar is an all-foam option that stands 12 inches high and is shipped to your house compressed.
The cover fabric is a polyethylene and a polyester/nylon blend that features a circular knit pattern. This fabric is quilted to the top memory foam layer for a plush finish.
- The top layer is built with 3 inches of memory foam enhanced with gel to help keep it from retaining heat. This layer hugs your curves and relieves your pressure points.
- The second layer is made with soft conventional foam that’s 2 inches thick. This layer is designed to help support your body weight and transition from the top comfort layer to the base.
- The base layer is 7 inches of standard conventional foam that provides the bed with additional support and durability.
Loom & Leaf Construction
Professional installation, sometimes called White Glove Delivery, is included for free with every mattress purchase from this brand. It arrives wrapped in plastic, and is never compressed.
This is a 12-inch all-foam bed, and all layers were sourced from sustainable American sources. The organic cotton cover is quilted to foam, which makes the bed’s surface feel plush. The following details the specifications for the Relaxed Firm iteration.
- The top layer is comprised of 3 inches of memory foam that conforms to the body for pressure relief. In addition, there’s a Spine-Zone gel panel to further dissipate heat where it congregates most.
- The middle layer is a 2-inch thick foam that helps ease the transition and feel between a denser base and the upper comfort layers.
- The base layer is made of a dense 6-inch polyfoam. This layer gives the bed shape and structure.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Comfort)
Our scoring system evaluates mattress firmness on a scale where 1 is the softest and 10 is the firmest (if you're not completely sure how that works here's our firmness guide and a chart that we use). Nectar and Loom & Leaf’s Relaxed Firm version fall right within the same Medium range, with scores of 6.5 and 6, respectively. Mattresses within this range usually appeal to combination sleepers who alternate between positions because they can accommodate your body while sleeping on your side, stomach, or back.
Some back and exclusive stomach sleepers, especially ones with significant weight requirements, prefer mattresses in the Firm range because of enhanced spinal alignment that evenly supports their hips level with the rest of their body. Sleepers in this category may prefer L&L’s Firm option that is a 7.5 on our scale.
Nectar’s comfort system is just a hair slower to respond than the top layers in the competing bed, but both contain curve-contouring memory foam that relieves pressure that can build up in your joints while resting.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Both beds provide minimal bounce because memory materials typically envelop pressure rather than push back. With Nectar, you will notice your weight slowly activate the memory materials as your body sinks into a deep hug. The sinkage in the other brand’s memory materials is slightly counteracted by the tight cover that hammocks the body in a more gentle cradle.
There are advantages to each experience. In Nectar’s deeper hug, sleepers should be uniformly enveloped and supported by the memory materials for a truly classic feel. However, resting with your body supported closer to the surface in the competing option may assist with repositioning and heat regulation, because more of the body is exposed to circulating airflow. Which of the two is better is a matter of preference and individual needs.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Both brands are neck and neck here due to the volume of quality memory foam in each that really does an exceptional job absorbing and isolating motion. Partners with different sleep schedules or habits sometimes worry about waking one another with their movements, but they will have little to worry over with either choice here.
Comparing Edge Support
Edge support does not come across everyone’s radar when they are buying a mattress, but stronger edges can increase the bed’s available sleep space, an advantage if you cohabitate with someone.
Nectar performs impressively here compared to competitive boxed brands, though its competitor may have a slight edge because the company does not roll their mattresses up and can use materials that do not compress as well. With both choices, you might see some compression around the edges when you sit, but notice minimal difference in support across the entire surface.
Nectar vs. Loom & Leaf Compared Side-by-Side
|Features||Nectar||Loom & Leaf|
|Cover||Poly-blend quilted with memory materials||Organic cotton|
|Materials||Memory and conventional foams||Memory foam, cooling gel, poly foams|
|Cooling||Cooling gels and breathable cover||Spine-Zone gel panel, breathable cover|
|Firmness||6.5/10||6/10 or 7.5/10|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradle|
|Trial Period||365 nights||180 nights|
|Certifications||CertiPUR-US®||CertiPUR-US®, GOTS-Certified Organic Cotton|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to the USA, White Glove Delivery available in some areas||Free White Glove Delivery within the contiguous U.S.|
|Made in the USA||No||Yes|
|Size||Nectar Price (w/o discount)||Loom & Leaf Price (w/o discount)|
|Split Cali King||N/A||$2,576|
Should I Buy Nectar or Loom & Leaf?
Which memory bed will be your best match? They both have a ton of great features and which one you go with will probably have a lot to do with who you are and how you sleep. Let’s dig into the differences a bit.
We Would Recommend Buying Nectar if You are Looking for:
- A spectacular value. This company offers an exceptional amount of quality for the price and the brand is a great choice for someone with a tighter budget who doesn’t want to sacrifice their best sleep.
- A deeper hug. Nectar provides an update on a classic by building memory materials that hold you in a pressure-relieving hug without trapping you in the bed.
- A mattress you can move up tight stairways. Because bed-in-a-box Nectar arrives rolled up, you will have an easier time moving it in close quarters, such as apartment buildings or houses with narrow staircases.
We Would Recommend Buying Loom & Leaf if You are Looking for:
- A gentler cradle. With this choice, you should experience the pressure relief you need without sinking too deep, a feature that assists your body in temperature control and movement.
- More eco-friendly materials. Saatva’s environmental policies seek to find eco-friendly alternatives to more traditional materials, and this brand is built with foams that contain a percentage of vegetable-based oils that are more sustainable than traditional oils and a cotton cover that is organic.
- No Offgassing. Because this mattress is never compressed or boxed while rolled up, you will not have the same industrial smell that many bed-in-a-box brands have when they are first unwrapped.
Who is the champion of this round? That really depends on you and your preferences.
Both beds deliver all the best features of memory foam like pressure relief and motion isolation with two very different feels.
If you want to sleep more inside your mattress for a more traditional memory experience, you might want to go with Nectar, which also offers up an incredible value for the price, which is especially nice for those shopping with more restricted finances. The company also gives you 365 days to try the bed or your money back.
That said, if you’re looking for a more luxurious choice that keeps you sleeping free and cool on the mattress surface, you’ll love Saatva’s Loom & Leaf that is professionally delivered and set up in your bedroom for added convenience, and the brand still offers a generous trial period that gives you four months to try the bed out. The more bio-friendly materials provide a restorative rest and help you reduce your carbon footprint.