Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
After recognizing Nectar's bold value and falling in love with Purple’s innovative design, we were curious to see the results of a Nectar vs. Purple comparison.
Quick Comparison: Nectar vs. Purple
- Relieves pressure
- Traditional memory foam feel
- 365-night trial period
- Grid system adds effective support for individuals
- It's cooler because of its material structure
- Easier repositioning
For the full reviews of these beds, check out the links below:
Or read our 2020 highest-rated beds where we showcase all our top picks!
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
As an online memory bed, Nectar is shipped in a tube. However, White Glove service is available for those who want it. The brand can be used with nearly every foundation.
The cover has a soft blend of cotton and a material called Tencel, which wicks away moisture. Quilted to it is 1 inch of memory foam with gel in order to cool and relieve pressure. Together with the layers below, the bed stands at 11 inches in height.
- The first layer has 3-inch memory foam (LushFoam™) infused with gel that holds many of the same benefits as the top level. These inches offer greater contouring and pressure relief.
- The second layer has an Adaptive Hi Core Memory Foam forming 1.5 inches. It is a transitional material.
- The base layer has a High Vegetable Base Super Core foam that is very dense and supportive at 5.5 inches.
Purple has a unique construction of foam with a polymer grid on top. Like Nectar, it is shipped rolled and compressed. Foundations of almost every kind are usable with this brand.
At 9.5 inches thick, its strong zip-off cover is made of polyester, viscose, and Lycra materials. The 2019 refresh updated the cover a touch to make more complementary to the unique feel of the comfort grid.
- The top layer has a gel-like grid made of 2 inches of Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ that stays temperature neutral. Its structure buckles and bends depending on the position, providing support and pressure relief as needed. There is also edge support built in.
- The second layer consists of 3.25-inch polyurethane foam that transitions from the grid to the base level and adds extra comfort.
- The base layer is made of 4 inches of polyurethane that supports and gives durability to the bed.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Close in firmness, we rated Nectar 6 to 6.5 and Purple 6 on our 10-point firmness scale (where 1 is softest and 10 is firmest). These are medium/medium-firm options, which most people respond well to.
While each bed can provide good nights in stomach, side, and back sleeping positions, there are certain positions that became highlights for each brand. While the feel is subjective and can depend on factors like weight and body shape, we want to share where each bed has particular strengths.
It seems that Nectar’s memory foam construction is amazing for side sleepers due to its excellent pressure relief properties. On the other hand, Purple’s unique grid adds a new twist on support for back and stomach sleepers that can be appreciated as its cells buckle (and it should feel firmer in these positions).
Significantly heavier people may feel increased firmness with Purple and the same group may need a slightly firmer mattress than Nectar.
The beds are opposites in regards to their response time. Purple’s grid springs immediately back into place while Nectar’s slow-sinking memory foam has a slow rise.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Although responsiveness is different, motion transfer between the brands is similar.
Those who wake easily from motion transfer need more motion isolation than the average person. Motion isolation will help light sleepers stay undisturbed while partners toss and turn or climb in and out of bed.
Both brands have strong isolation capabilities and you should be undisturbed throughout the night.
Comparing Edge Support
Compressed mattresses are often known for their lacking support along the edge and memory foam beds can sometimes roll people off of them.
With both brands, you can expect standard compression when sitting on the edge. However, lying along the edge is a different story. While there is a small amount of compression, people on them should feel support and stay firmly in place. With Purple's 2019 updates, this brand may edge out its competition slightly.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
When considering your new purchase, it is important to consider your preferences with bounce and sinkage. Between both brands, there are differences that could ultimately help determine which you will choose.
Nectar has a low level of bounce because of its memory materials, which is great if you like less bounce and added pressure relief. Its memory layers also provide a deeper hug and contouring.
Purple’s Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ layer gives more overall bounce. People should feel gently cradled on the product. However, in the back and stomach sleeping positions, the cells respond differently and cradle sleepers on a shallower level.
Because of Purple’s grid and its elastic properties, it has increased ease of repositioning.
Nectar Mattress vs. Purple Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Tencel and cotton quilted with memory materials||Viscose, polyester, and Lycra|
|Materials||Memory and poly foams||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ and poly foams|
|Cooling||Cooling gels and wicking Tencel cover||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ is temperature neutral with airflow design|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradling, depending on position|
|Bounce||No||Yes, in top layer|
|Warranty||Forever Warranty||10 years|
|Trial Period||365 nights||100 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to the USA with White Glove Delivery available||Ships to USA and Canada|
|Made in the USA||No||Yes|
|Size||Nectar Price (w/o discount)||Purple Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Nectar or Purple?
When determining which mattress to buy, remember that both are well-made with qualities you may prefer over the other. Their ample trial periods ensure that you will have the opportunity you need to find the very best fit.
We Would Recommend Buying Nectar if You are Looking for:
- Memory materials. With deeper contouring and outstanding pressure relief, this bed works well for people who like the traditional memory foam feeling and its benefits.
- Less expense. At an exceptional value, expect to save approximately $150 to $399 off of the regular retail price when compared to the competition.
- Industry-leading trial and warranty. If you want additional trial time and a long warranty, their 365-day trial and Forever Warranty has you covered. Sleep easy knowing you have over 3 times the average amount of time to try out your new bed.
- A side sleeper’s dream. While there is a lot to love in every position on this bed, side sleepers can gain extra pressure relief.
We Would Recommend Buying Purple if You are Looking for:
- Enhanced support. The grid system adds even more effective support for individuals who sleep on their backs and stomachs.
- Cooler nights. It sleeps a bit cooler than the competition because its Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ is a temperature-neutral material structured to help air flow through it.
- Easier repositioning. Its quick responsiveness edges out the competition to add to its repositioning capabilities, making moving around effortless.
- Scientific innovation. In a company driven by scientific advances, their product is unlike anything reviewed to this point. Its polymer grid has a different, yet comfortable, feel that could be for you if you want the latest in mattress design.
These two online brands are comfortable and durable but accomplish their missions in different ways. Which one sounds more like your style?
Remember to check out our individual reviews to help with your final decision.