The Purple team is almost as famous for their silly commercials as they are for reinventing what it means to build a mattress. From Goldilocks to the Three Bears, to an egg dropped on a bed, their ads definitely catch attention.
So is it all hype or is there something to the Purple mattress allowing even eggs to rest on it comfortably? In this Purple mattress review, we take a look at the brand's unique hyper-elastic grid and dissect what the fuss is about.
We go into quite a bit of detail but if you’re in a hurry, skip to the conclusion here.
Excellent Matches For Purple
- Versatility Seekers – Consumers are looking for great beds that match multiple sleep postures or body types, and that’s the goal behind the hyper-elastic grid that Purple’s come up with. It's made to adapt to most body shapes and sizes in whatever sleeping position the individual prefers.
- Pressure Relief Seekers – If you suffer from aches and pains, the last thing you need is pressure building up while you sleep, but this system was designed to cradle your weight (whatever that may be). It can relieve pressure where it builds up while supporting areas that need support.
- Hot Sleepers – Some old-fashioned foam really holds in the heat, but the Purple grid system used here is designed so it is temperature neutral.
Possible Purple Considerations:
- Not a Classic Feel – Classics are given that title for a good reason, and many people prefer to sleep on what’s already familiar to them. If you’re not up for a brand new technology (with a lot of modern updates), you may not be the right match for a Purple mattress.
- Little Bounce – When using this mattress, you’ll find there is some bounce, but if you’re looking for the strong push back that’s commonly associated with innerspring beds, you might want to look at the New Purple mattress instead, which is a hybrid.
Construction: What’s In the Purple?
This bed-in-a-box brand is 9.5 inches tall. The cover extends over 3 layers and features a SoftFlex material composed of Polyester, Viscose, and Lycra that the company says better complements the unique feel of the comfort grid. The cover’s soft material allows it to not only adapt to both your movements and those of the grid, but it is also a breathable design.
- Below the cover is Purple’s signature 2-inch Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid that the brand calls “pressure-erasing.” It is highly durable, provides comfort, and protects the layers beneath. Its structure allows it to release and equalize pressure across the grid, which evenly distributes weight. When pressure does not need to be released, the Purple grid holds its upright form to provide support. The Purple Hybrid builds upon this construction by adding coils below the grid, and according to the brand, their coils do not cause the squeaking sound commonly associated with springs.
- The middle consists of 3.5 inches of medium-soft polyurethane foam. In addition to acting as a comfort layer, it helps to create a smooth transition from the top to base layers.
- The base layer is a 4-inch medium-firm support level made from polyurethane foam. It gives the bed shape and durability.
As of 2019, there is high-density foam around the edges to provide better edge support.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
This bed arrives in a bag with handles for easy transport to your bedroom. Once released, it should be ready to use immediately.
Lying on it, you should feel the grid conforming to your curves. Pushing on it with your hands, you’ll see how springy the grid is.
This is likely going to be an unfamiliar experience for you, so we recommend giving it a chance before you make any final decisions. Use that sleep trial to see how it works for you.
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Medium Firm)
Sensitive pressure points call for a bed with pressure-relieving features for optimum comfort. This company makes some bold claims regarding their No Pressure® system. By collapsing more under the usual pressure points while maintaining support on the body's contours, this is a unique approach to making sure heavier body parts do not have to bear excess pressure.
Sinkage will vary depending on your position, which is another feature unique to this bed. Areas of the body with gentler curves will not sink in as much as areas with more a more pronounced shape. Lying on your side, you can expect to sink in around the hips and shoulders much more than when lying on your back, so this ranges from a deeper hug to a gentle cradle.
The pressure relief should work great for most folks, but those hoping for a little extra may look at the Purple Hybrid Premier, which gives you the choice of a thicker grid system.
A well-supportive bed could alleviate pain in the back and neck by working to keep the spine in a neutral position. The support system in this mattress starts with the grid, along with two layers of polyurethane foam beneath. The edges are reinforced with denser foam, so support should be consistent edge-to-edge.
Purple’s grid formation was designed to cradle your body in a neutral position regardless of position, so this should be good news for proper spine alignment.
However, the individually wrapped coils in the hybrid version of this mattress may work a bit better for those searching for extra support, especially folks who are significantly heavier.
The hyper elastic polymer used in the comfort system is temperature neutral so body heat shouldn’t build up around your body while you’re sleeping.
Exceptional Edge Support
Purple’s placed denser foam around the sides to help maintain edge-to-edge support, which is perfect for folks who share their mattress and want to maximize their space.
The Purple mattress has a little bounce, but not much, especially with its foam core. Movement is mostly absorbed by the mattress and vibrations from the usual getting up and getting back into Original Purple bed should be isolated so it doesn’t disturb your sleeping partner.
Handcrafted in the USA
This bed is CertiPUR-US® Certified, which means the foams used have been tested by third-party and meet the minimum threshold for harmful chemicals and off-gassing. It is made without ozone depleters.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free to 48 contiguous states with a small fee to ship to Hawaii and Alaska. This bed also ships to Canada through their partner, Sleep Country Canada.
- White-Glove Delivery - White Glove Delivery is available for this bed at an additional charge. However, some Purple mattresses offer this service for free.
- Trial - Try this product in your home for 100 nights to decide if it works for you. If you don’t think it’s right, you can send it back.
- Warranty - Purple mattresses come with a 10-year limited warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38" x 75" x 9.5"||$599|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 9.5”||$799|
|Full||54” x 76” x 9.5”||$999 |
|Queen||60" x 80" x 9.5"||$1,149|
|King||76” x 80” x 9.5”||$1,449|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 9.5"||$1,449|
We’re fascinated by a bed made by rocket scientists, and we’re impressed by its cooling design and unique approach to pressure relief and support.
A majority of side sleepers who are on the hunt for good pressure relief may have found it with this mattress that contours to curves in this position so that pressure should not build up in the usual pressure points.
Those who need extra might steer towards the Purple Hybrid Premier, which has a thicker grid system.
Back sleepers should feel satisfied with the way this bed cradles their lumbar spine and holds their body in a neutral posture. The firmness level should suit most back sleepers, though those wanting something just a hair firmer might look to the Purple Hybrid, which is built with coils.
Most stomach sleepers should enjoy the way this bed evenly supports their weight, even in this position. Those who carry extra weight, however, may want to steer towards the Purple Hybrid, which may provide additional firmness required to keep their hips elevated and spine neutral.
This bed really shines for combination sleepers of all kinds because of how it quickly adapts to different positions and concentrations of weight. Deeper sink for side sleepers seamlessly can convert into a gentle cradle when you roll onto your back. This versatility works fantastically for combo sleepers of most sizes.
Couples need versatility, and this brand was designed to adapt to different sleeping positions and body shapes. Most couples aren’t the same size and don’t sleep the exact same way, and this bed may be able to provide what you need.
Furthermore, the motion isolation is well-designed and restless sleepers shouldn’t keep their partners awake in this brand.
This brand was designed to accommodate a variety of weights and shapes, and those up to around 200 pounds should be well suited by the all-foam version of purple. Those who are significantly heavier than this may want to steer towards the hybrid choices with thicker grids, especially side sleepers with deeper curves.
If you are significantly lighter than average, this may be the best match for you among Purple’s line given its slightly softer feel. The Purple mattress is versatile enough to accommodate heavier sleepers if your partner is larger than you are. The Purple Hybrid Premier, however, is the softest, if that’s up your alley.
The value of this product comes from its versatility and durability. If your body changes over time or you find yourself needing to sleep in a different position, this is a bed that can adapt to changes easily without added materials.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes the Purple mattress so great?
Purple boasts that their mattress is the first to be scientifically proven to reduce pressure, making it an excellent product for those who need a bit more relief. It’s unique design allows.
Can you flip a Purple mattress?
Due to the special design of the Purple mattress, you cannot flip it. The product has a base layer and a gel grid on the cushion for maximum comfort. The Purple mattresses are created from hyper-elastic polymer which supports bones and joints and eases discomfort.
Can I try it out risk-free?
You can try it out risk-free, however, for a limited time. The mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10 year warranty, letting customers try it out for a significant period of time to decide if it’s genuinely the best choice for their personal needs.
Is the Purple mattress right for hot sleepers?
Yes, the Purple mattress is great for warm sleepers and is terrific for regulating temperature. Purple claims to have over 1800 air channels built into its grid construction, promoting a temperature neutral product and keeping you cool night after night.
Is the Purple mattress good for couples?
The Purple’s unique grid and construction, which uses a hyper-elastic polymer, allows for considerable motion isolation. The product is contouring for comfort yet responsive for ease of movement, making it an excellent choice for couples.