Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Have you ever wondered what would happen when brothers with aerospace and manufacturing backgrounds worked together to create a mattress?
The result is Purple, designed with a “pressure-erasing” polymer layer over a foam base.
After success with popular cushioning products in the past, Tony and Terry Pearce decided to focus their energy on the mattress industry. Purple is known for its science-driven approach and quirky marketing, making it hard to miss in the digital space. Their popular egg test drops raw eggs onto the product under weighted glass without breaking.
This in-depth review of Purple is based on our scoring system that includes characteristics such as support, quality, value, and comfort.
Keep reading for a deep-dive into this bed or click here to read the summary.
You will love Purple if you:
- Need pressure relief – The Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ top has been scientifically engineered to provide pressure relief to any area of the body that needs it. In fact, the brand has deemed it the “World’s First No Pressure™ mattress.” This is great news for side sleepers with pressure in their shoulders and hips.
- Want a versatile mattress – Purple works well for nearly all sleep styles. Its structure helps with pressure relief and support while having a medium-level firmness. Couples with different styles can have a great night in the same bed.
- Sleep hot – The Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid is temperature neutral and promotes airflow.
You might not like Purple if you:
- Want an innerspring mattress – This model is not made with innersprings. However, its comfort layers provide pressure relief not found in typical innerspring brands.
- Like a memory feel – While memory materials are slow responding and can trap in heat, Purple stays temperature neutral and its quick responsiveness helps with ease of repositioning.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Purple is a 9.5-inch tall mattress with a gel-like top and foam base that ships to your door compressed and rolled in a bag. The package has convenient handles to make it easier to move to the room of your choice.
It can be used with almost every type of foundation. The company sells their own Platform Base and adjustable PowerBase through their website.
The white knit cover has some padding and is a viscose, polyester, and Lycra blend. It has good construction, holding up well to tugging and pulling. If necessary, the cover can be removed for spot cleaning, but it is not machine washable.
There are three layers that make up the comfort and support layers of the bed.
- The first layer is Purple’s signature 2-inch Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid that the brand calls “pressure-erasing.” It is highly durable, provides comfort, and protects the layers beneath. Its structure allows it to release and equalize pressure across the grid, which evenly distributes weight.
When pressure does not need to be released, the grid holds its upright form to provide support.
- The second layer is 3.25 inches of medium-soft polyurethane foam. In addition to acting as a comfort layer, it helps to create a smooth transition from the top to base layers.
- The base layer is a 4-inch medium-firm support level made from polyurethane foam. It gives the bed shape and durability.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Purple’s feel is unique. The firmness level feels slightly different depending on the sleeping position and weight of the person on it.
Even so, we rated it a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, with 10 being the firmest. Therefore, it falls into a medium range of firmness, which is seen as a versatile level of firmness that caters to the widest variety of people.
The cover is breathable and soft to the touch. When pushing down into the mattress, the Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid is its most prominent feature. Pushing down further reveals the foam layers beneath.
The materials gently contour the body when lying down. However, the cradling is different depending on the position. Side sleepers can expect to sink into the mattress further than back and stomach sleepers as the gel-like grid interacts with pressure points.
Unlike slow-responding memory foam, it responds quickly when pressing down and releasing. There is a bounce in the top layer and repositioning is easy.
Purple’s top layer makes it wonderful for a variety of sleep positions. The material buckles or releases in heavier areas. The column structure supports other areas evenly that do not need pressure relief.
Back sleepers can feel their weight evenly distributed and their lumbar region supported. The polymer grid collapses under the weight of the hips to redistribute pressure and keep the spine aligned.
Stomach sleepers should not experience any uncomfortable curvature in their backs. Hips stay supported instead of sinking into the bed and there is neutral spinal alignment.
Side sleepers will see the biggest advantage of the grid’s ability to release and redistribute pressure to other cells. This happens specifically in their hips and shoulders because they have the most weight in condensed areas.
Significantly heavier side sleepers may need to take advantage of the 100-night risk-free trial period to see if there is enough pressure relief for their additional needs.
Likewise, sleepers who are much lighter than average may feel that the mattress is firmer because they might not be able to have the weight it takes to allow the polymer grid to collapse and equalize pressure. However, most body types and weights will enjoy a good night’s sleep with this brand.
Motion transfer is something to consider when buying a new bed. While it is not an issue for a wide range of people, light sleepers need a product that does not interrupt their sleep cycle when partners or pets jump into bed.
Purple performs well in this category. While the memory foam products are the industry heavyweights in this area, it has minimal movement to other parts of the mattress.
Edge support is typically best in innerspring mattresses and those with reinforced edges. For bed-in-a-box products, there is more compression.
There are two types of edge support to be mindful of when choosing a mattress. The first is while sitting and the second is while sleeping on the edge.
You may notice compression while sitting on the edge, which is to be expected. There may be compression while lying on the edge, but you should never feel like you will roll out of the bed and remain comfortable and supported.
- Trial Period – 100-night risk-free trial.
- Warranty – 10-year limited warranty.
- Shipping – Free shipping to the 48 contiguous States. There is an additional fee to ship to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – The foam in this product meets a minimum threshold of requirements regarding harmful chemicals and off-gassing. It is made without ozone depleters.
- Compatible with Adjustable Bases
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 9.5”||$699|
|Full||54” x 76” x 9.5”||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 9.5”||$999|
|King||76” x 80” x 9.5”||$1,299|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 9.5”||$1,299|
Purple’s innovative design is a step forward in the mattress industry!
Purple’s science-driven approach to their product has established the brand as a unique contender to customers.
Their Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid has the right amount of pressure relief and support to cater to a wide range of individuals. Its temperature-neutral material and grid-like structure help keep sleepers cool all night.
The company compares their queen model to other $4,000 brands on the market (view all the mattresses we review), making it a substantial savings for people who want a quality bed for a reasonable price.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.