Purple is almost as famous for their commercials as they are for reinventing what it means to build a mattress. From Goldilocks and the Three Bears to an egg dropped on a bed, their ads catch attention.
This online mattress brand specializes in beds made with the company’s innovative Purple GelFlex™ Grid. Their flagship model is highly popular, but is it all hype, or is there something to the Purple that allows even eggs to rest on it comfortably? In this Purple mattress review, we take a look at the brand's unique hyper-elastic grid and dissect what all the fuss is.
We go into quite a bit of detail, but if you’re in a hurry, skip to the conclusion here.
- Extra edge support in the Purple Grid™ layer – The foam perimeter added here should further enhance your comfort experience while resting on the edge of this mattress. Additionally, edge support is fantastic for couples, as they typically want to comfortably use the mattress’ surface area as much as possible.
- SoftFlex™ cover – The SoftFlex™ cover is designed to adapt to your body, further complementing the contouring effects of the Purple Grid™ below.
Excellent Matches For Purple
- Versatility Seekers – Consumers are looking for great beds that match multiple sleep postures or body types, and that’s the goal behind the hyper-elastic grid designed by Purple. It's made to adapt to most body shapes and sizes in whatever sleeping position the individual prefers.
- Pressure Relief Seekers – If you suffer from aches and pains, the last thing you need is pressure building up while you sleep, but this system was designed to cradle your weight (whatever that may be). It can relieve pressure where it builds up while reinforcing areas that need support.
- Hot Sleepers – Some old-fashioned foams hold in heat, but the Purple grid system is designed to be temperature neutral as it has over 1,400 air channels built into its construction.
Possible Purple Considerations:
- Not a Classic Feel – Classics are given that title for a good reason, and many people prefer to sleep on what’s already familiar to them. If you’re not up for brand new technology, you may not be the right match for a Purple mattress.
- Little Bounce – When using this mattress, you’ll find some bounce, but if you’re looking for the strong pushback that’s commonly associated with innerspring beds, you might want to look at the New Purple mattress instead, which is a hybrid.
- No Natural Materials – Purple uses plenty of top-notch materials in their mattresses, but eco-conscious may be put off by the lack of natural materials in their designs.
According to the company’s website, the Purple mattress does not have an official limit for how much weight it can hold. However, the company advises the bed should not support more than 300 pounds per person or 600 pounds total for couples.
Typically, when individuals carry significantly more weight, they will require a mattress constructed to fully support them. Even though there’s no weight limit, if you’re over 300 pounds, the mattress will feel softer, and you’ll sink through the layers far more. The drop can create a situation in which your spine is not in a neutral, comfortable position. Down the road, poor alignment can lead to back and neck issues or exacerbate pre-existent pain.
Also, individuals under 300 pounds will need to consider their sleep position and how this could affect the feel of the bed. For example, if you weigh 200 pounds but are a regular stomach sleeper, you may need something with firmer support.
Construction: What’s In the Purple?
This mattress is 9.5 inches tall. The cover extends over three layers and features a SoftFlex material composed of polyester, viscose, and lycra that the company says better complements the unique feel of the comfort grid. The cover’s soft material is breathable and allows it to adapt to both your movements and those of the grid.
- Below the cover is Purple’s signature 2-inch Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid that the brand calls “pressure-erasing.” This grid is highly durable, provides comfort, and protects the layers beneath. In addition, the structure allows it to release and equalize pressure across the grid, which evenly distributes weight. When pressure does not need to be released, the Purple grid holds its upright form to provide support. Purple’s hybrid version builds upon this construction by adding coils below the grid, and according to the brand, their coils do not cause the squeaking sound commonly associated with springs.
- The middle consists of 3.5 inches of medium-soft polyurethane foam. In addition to acting as a comfort layer, it helps to create a smooth transition from the top to the base layers.
- The base layer is a 4-inch medium-firm support level made from polyurethane foam. The layer gives the bed shape and durability.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
The bed arrives in a bag with handles for easy transport to your bedroom. Once released, it should be ready to use immediately.
Lying on it, you should feel the grid conforming to your curves. Then, pushing on it with your hands, you’ll see how springy the grid is.
The Purple bed will likely be an unfamiliar experience for you, so we recommend giving it a chance before making any final decisions. Therefore, use that sleep trial to see how it works for you.
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Medium Firm)
Sensitive pressure points call for a bed with pressure-relieving features for optimum comfort. This company makes some bold claims regarding their No Pressure® system. By collapsing more under the usual pressure points while maintaining support on the body's contours, this is a unique approach to making sure heavier body parts do not have to bear excess pressure.
Sinkage will vary depending on your position, which is another feature unique to this bed. Body areas with gentler curves will not sink in as much as areas with a more pronounced shape. Lying on your side, expect to sink in around the hips and shoulders more than lying on your back. As a result, the bed ranges from a deeper hug to a gentle cradle.
The pressure relief should work great for most folks, but those hoping for a little extra may look at the Purple Hybrid Premier, which gives you the choice of a thicker grid system.
A well-supportive bed could alleviate pain in the back and neck by keeping the spine in a neutral position. The support system in this mattress starts with the grid, along with two layers of polyurethane foam beneath. The edges are reinforced with denser foam, so support should be consistent edge-to-edge.
Purple’s grid formation was designed to cradle your body in a neutral position regardless of position, so this should be good news for proper spine alignment.
However, the individually wrapped coils in the hybrid version of this mattress may work a bit better for those searching for extra support, especially folks who are significantly heavier.
The hyper-elastic polymer used in the comfort system is temperature neutral, so heat shouldn’t build up around your body while you’re sleeping.
Exceptional Edge Support
Purple’s placed denser foam around the sides to help maintain edge-to-edge support, which is perfect for folks who share their mattress and want to maximize their space.
The Purple mattress has a little bounce. However, the mattress mostly absorbs movement, so it shouldn’t disturb your partner.
Handcrafted in the USA
This bed is CertiPUR-US® Certified, which means the foams used have been tested by third-party and meet the minimum threshold for harmful chemicals and off-gassing. Additionally, the bed is made without ozone depleters.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free to 48 contiguous states with a small fee to ship to Hawaii and Alaska. The bed also ships to Canada through their partner, Sleep Country Canada.
- White-Glove Delivery - White Glove Delivery is available for this bed at an additional charge. However, Purple offers free white-glove delivery with some of their mattresses.
- Trial - Try this product in your home for 100 nights to decide if it works for you. If you don’t think it’s right, you can send it back.
- Warranty - Purple mattresses come with a 10-year limited warranty.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38" x 75" x 9.5"||$799|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 9.5”||$999|
|Full||54” x 76” x 9.5”||$1,199
|Queen||60" x 80" x 9.5"||$1,399|
|King||76” x 80” x 9.5”||$1,799|
|Cali King||72" x 84" x 9.5"||$1,799|
|Split King||38” x 80” x 9.5”||$1,998|
Purple vs. GhostBed
Are you still contemplating if Purple is the bed for you? To better understand where this bed ranks in the sleep market, we will compare this product to a similar competitor. For this comparison, we have chosen the Ghostbed.
Purple’s grid system is unique to the company. Therefore, GhostBed will not have this material specifically.
However, GhostBed does have two layers (3.5 inches total) of contouring foams. The first is Continuous Aerated Latex, followed by a gel memory foam layer.
Based on our firmness scale, GhostBed is ranked only slightly firmer than Purple. Purple stands at 9.5 inches tall, while GhostBed is 11 inches in height.
Both brands have a similar trial period; Purple’s is 100 nights, and GhostBed’s is 101 nights. However, GhostBed has a longer warranty that lasts for 20 years compared to the 10-year warranty for Purple.
Purple is slightly more expensive than GhostBed, but it does have a leg up in that it's ranked better for edge support, side sleepers, couples, combination sleepers, and lightweight individuals. Conversely, GhostBed has a better ranking for heavier individuals and prioritizes environmental initiatives to reduce their carbon footprint.Full Comparison Here: Purple vs. GhostBed
We’re fascinated by a bed made by rocket scientists, and we’re impressed by its cooling design and unique approach to pressure relief and support.
We gave this bed a four because those who need extra pressure relief might prefer the Purple Hybrid Premier, which has a thicker grid. However, most side sleepers who need pressure relief may have found it with this mattress. The Purple contours to curves in this position so that pressure should not build up.
The bed earned a four in this category because those wanting something just a hair firmer might look to the Purple Hybrid built with coils. That being said, most back sleepers should feel satisfied with how this bed cradles their lumbar spine and holds their body in a neutral posture.
Purple also scored a four here since sleepers who carry extra weight may want to steer towards the Purple Hybrid, which should provide additional firmness to keep their hips elevated and spine neutral. However, most stomach sleepers should enjoy the way this bed evenly supports their weight in this position.
This bed shines for combination sleepers of all kinds because it quickly adapts to different positions and weight concentrations. For example, a deeper sink for side sleepers can seamlessly convert into a gentle cradle when you roll onto your back. This versatility works fantastically for combo sleepers of most sizes.
Couples need versatility, and this brand was designed to adapt to different sleeping positions and body shapes. Most couples aren’t the same size and don’t sleep the same way, and this bed may be able to provide what you need.
Furthermore, the motion isolation is well-designed and restless sleepers shouldn’t keep their partners awake with this brand.
The Purple scored a three for heavier sleepers, as they may prefer the hybrid choices with more substantial support, especially side and stomach sleepers with deeper curves. The bed did earn good points, though, since it should accommodate folks who weigh up to 300 pounds.
The Purple scored a four out of five because some lightweight individuals, particularly those who sleep on their side, may prefer the softer Purple Hybrid Premier. However, this bed should be an excellent fit for lightweight sleepers who rest on their back and stomach.
Purple earned an overall four of five as it is likely not supportive enough for people over 300 pounds, especially if they sleep with a partner. However, the bed earned high marks for its versatility and durability. If your body changes over time or you find yourself needing to sleep in a different position, this is a bed that can adapt to changes easily without added materials.
Combination sleepers and couples should consider buying this mattress. We feel they will benefit most from this innovative bed.
For couples, great cooling, edge support, and motion isolation should provide you and your partner with an excellent bed that is versatile enough to work well for different sleep positions. Combination sleepers should also benefit from this versatility as they rotate between different postures during the night.
We would also recommend this bed for folks in need of pressure relief. The innovative Purple Grid™, the company’s claim to fame, if you will, is made to adapt so that you don’t experience uncomfortable pressure buildup.
Frequently Asked Questions
What makes the Purple mattress so great?
Purple boasts that their mattress is the first to be scientifically proven to reduce pressure, making it an excellent product for those who need a bit more relief.
Can you flip a Purple mattress?
Due to the special design of the Purple mattress, you cannot flip it. The product has a base layer and a gel grid on the cushion for maximum comfort. Furthermore, Purple mattresses are created from hyper-elastic polymer, which supports bones and joints and eases discomfort.
Can I try it out risk-free?
You can try it out risk-free for a limited time. The mattress comes with a 100-night sleep trial and a 10-year warranty, letting customers try it out to decide if it’s the best choice for their personal needs.
Is the Purple mattress right for hot sleepers?
Yes, the Purple mattress is great for warm sleepers and is terrific for regulating temperature. Purple claims to have over 1400 air channels built into its grid construction, promoting a temperature-neutral product and keeping you cool night after night.
Is the Purple mattress good for couples?
The Purple’s unique grid and construction, which uses a hyper-elastic polymer, allows for considerable motion isolation. The product contours to provide comfort and is responsive for ease of movement, making it an excellent choice for couples.