Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Casper vs. Purple compares a well-known, established authority and a science-oriented brand with materials determined to take the market by storm.
Quick Comparison: Casper vs. Purple
SLEEPADVISOR or click the button below
- For every sleeping position and weight class
- More bounce for a foam bed
- Top poly layer for quick responsiveness
- Grid system adds effective support for individuals
- It's cooler because of its material structured
- Easier repositioning
In addition to this comparison, we recommend reading our review of each brand (and top picks):
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Casper is a mattress made from foam that is compressed, boxed, and delivered to your house.
Its zip-off cover consists of a soft white top and grey sides made of thick polyester. In addition to the layers beneath, the bed stands 12 inches tall.
- The top layer has 1.5-inches tall foam that is proprietary to the company. It has an open-cell design that helps with heat regulation.
- The second layer includes dense memory materials standing 1.5 inches. Putting this deeper in the mattress than the first level helps with cooling. This level also helps relieve pressure.
- The third layer’s Zoned Support™ structure places a firmer foam centered in the bed around where the sleepers’ hips typically rest and softer for upper and lower extremities, which often need extra pressure relief.
- The base layer contains a 7.5-inch piece of durable, dense poly support.
Purple has foam layers underneath a grid of gel-like material. It is rolled into a bag and delivered to customers’ homes with convenient handles on each side.
The brand’s classic white cover looks crisp and feels soft with its viscose blended with Lycra and polyester materials. Its zip-off cover envelops a 9.5-inch tall mattress.
- The first layer consists of a Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid unique to the brand that is 2 inches thick and temperature neutral. The cells bend and buckle to give pressure relief and support where needed.
- The second layer’s construction contains a 3.25-inch piece of transitional poly foam.
- The base layer includes 4 inches of poly foam foundation that supports the mattress.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Both brands are similar in firmness. On a 10-point scale where 10 is the hardest, we rated both Casper and Purple at around a 6. As mattresses with medium-level firmness and strategic comfort and support levels, they cater to side, back, and stomach sleepers.
Casper’s versatile construction goes the extra mile to cater to nearly every sleeping position and weight class. The added Zoned Support™ delivers extra firmness in the center to help hold hips level with the rest of the spine, even heavier sleepers.
It should be noted that Purple’s firmness level is noticeably subjective to position and weight due to its polymer grid. It feels slightly firmer to stomach and back sleepers, as cells on its grid only collapse when weight is not evenly spread out and pressure relief is required. Side sleepers who benefit from pressure relief will experience the grid releasing below them, which should make the brand feel softer.
Casper has a quick response time because its memory material is below proprietary materials. Even though it has the benefits of memory material, it evades the slow-rising response of typical memory beds.
Because of Purple’s polymer layer, it feels different than most mattresses on the market. The quick-responding grid beneath the cover shifts as pressure relief was needed. Even though it is a different feel than its competition, it is comfortable.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Both beds have a gentle cradling effect while lying down and an overall medium cushioning depth. However, sinkage Purple’s polymer grid is dependent on pressure and side sleepers, who have more weight resting in a narrower area, will sink deeper than back and stomach sleepers of similar weights.
Casper’s bounce comes from its proprietary comfort top layer. Purple’s slightly higher level of bounce is due to its Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ top layer.
By combining medium-level sinkage, quick-responsiveness, and bounce, repositioning is easy on both brands, though perhaps slightly enhanced in Purple because of its unique grid.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Each bed performs well in the motion transfer category. There is relatively high motion isolation, so light sleepers that have partners, kids, or pets will not be bothered at night.
Comparing Edge Support
Both brands perform similarly other foam mattresses among beds packed in boxes with regards to edge support. Unlike traditional innerspring mattresses, these mattresses compress when you sit up along the edge. Yet, your weight should feel secure while lying along the edge, though you may experience slightly more compression sitting on Purple than Casper.
Casper vs. Purple Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Polyester||Viscose, Lycra, and polyester|
|Materials||Proprietary comfort foam, high-density memory foam, and poly foams||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ and poly foams|
|Cooling||Open-cell top layer and memory foam placed lower in bed||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ is temperature neutral with airflow design|
|Sinkage||Gentle cradling||Gentle cradling, depending on position|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 nights||100 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to USA, Canada, Germany, Austria, Switzerland, and UK with select area White Glove Delivery||Ships to USA and Canada|
|Made in the USA||Designed and Assembled in USA||Yes|
|Size||Casper Price (w/o discount)||Purple Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||$595||Size not offered|
Should I Buy Casper or Purple?
After our in-depth analysis, it is time to ask the question: Which should you buy – Casper or Purple?
We can confirm that both are quality products that provide high levels of comfort and support to sleepers. Which choice wins your favor depends on several nuances that can help determine which is right for you.
We Would Recommend Buying Casper if You are Looking for:
- Exceptional versatility. This brand works outstandingly for nearly every sleeping position, making it great for couples and combination sleepers. It provides comfort for a wide range of weights as well.
- A traditional feel. Without a collapsible polymer grid, Casper’s all-foam model feels more traditional. With poly and memory levels strategically layered, sleepers are gently contoured without overheating.
- A twin size. Unlike its competitor, this brand has a twin size option.
We Would Recommend Buying Purple if You are Looking for:
- Enhanced cooling capabilities. This mattress’ Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ grid is one of the best heat regulators we have encountered. Its polymer structure does not retain heat and is conducive to increased airflow.
- A new experience. Purple’s science-driven design feels different than most other brands. If you are looking to try something completely new, backed by a great risk-free trial, this may be the bed for you.
- Enhanced movability. With slightly more bounce than its competitor and a grid that springs immediately back in place, repositioning is exceptional on this bed.
Both beds offer a uniquely tailored support and comfort system and have similar firmnesses and quality with only gentle nuances that are more related to preference than overall quality.
If you require additional assistance making a choice between Casper and Purple, journey over to our in-depth reviews for a few additional details.
Author: Sarah Cummings
I think we’re all nerds, but I’m probably the biggest nerd in the group. Put me nose deep in a spreadsheet and I'll start smiling.
I love to travel, hang out with positive people, and love cycling when I find the time!
My hope is that everyone who visits our site will walk away with a fresh perspective. I think too many people in society downplay the importance of sleep. In my opinion, it’s the difference between an average life and an amazing one.