Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
In our Casper vs. Novosbed face off, we’re looking at two established brands in the bed-in-a-box business. Both are all-foam mattresses but represent a slightly different overall feel. Are you better suited by a little bit of bounce on your surface, or would you prefer to melt into bed and drift away to sleep?
Casper got its start in 2014 with its “universal feel” and has recently added a brand new support system zoned to help keep your spine straight and comfortable. Novosbed has been selling online since 2009 and offers firmness choices that guarantee a perfect firmness fit or your money back.
If you get through our comparison and you still need more information, check our detailed in-depth reviews available here:
Quick Comparison: Novosbed vs. Casper
- Classic memory foam feel
- Affordable luxury
- Medium level firmness
SLEEPADVISOR or click the button below
- For every sleeping position and weight class
- More bounce for a foam bed
- Quick responsiveness
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Casper comes wrapped and rolled into a box to your home where you can easily carry it to your room and install it. It is an all-foam construction and stands 11 inches tall.
The cover can be removed for easy spot cleaning and is made of durable polyester, newly designed in 2020.
- The top layer delivers a bit of surface bounce with a piece of specially formulated comfort foam with breathability and temperature control and a quick response for easy repositioning.
- Its second layer has a recent update that transitions from comfort system to base with a Zoned Support™ layer, which is extra firm under your midsection. The zoning helps with neutral spinal alignment.
- Its base stands tall and is made from dense poly foam that keeps the support consistent from edge to edge.
This choice is also rolled and delivered packed into a box. It’s slightly taller at 11 inches and is made from four layers of foam.
It is wrapped in a sustainable textile called Tencel that made out of wood pulp and feels silky and smooth.
- The top layer is unique to the company. Its Interlock Blue™ Core Cover provides additional moisture protection that helps the memory materials retain their quality for longer. This fabric is not stiff and does not inhibit interaction with the layers
- Its second layer’s built from a high-density foam designed to promote airflow through it which helps keep the surface from overheating while the 2-inch foam contours to your form.
- The third layer provides another 2-inch piece of memory foam, which is a bit firmer and provides a transition to the base while giving you deeper level contouring.
- The base layer stands 7 inches tall and forms the mattress base with high-density premium support foam that helps align your spine.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Rated out of 10 where 10 is the firmest, Casper and the Medium Novosbed score at about a 6 on our scale, which is right in the Medium-Firm range which is considered extremely versatile. This feel typically performs great for a lot of different body types in all three sleep positions, but remember that Novosbed as a Soft and a Firm version as well.
The surface layer of Casper was designed to respond quickly to pressure, and you should also notice that it has a little bit of bounce to it. When you roll over or change positions, the foams that are conforming to your shape to relieve pressure should pop immediately back into place without making you feel stuck.
Novosbed, by comparison, has a response time that is a lot slower, and this is because of the high-quality memory materials near the surface of the mattress. When you lie down on it, you might notice that the foams take a few seconds to respond before you slowly start to sink into them. This more classic memory experience will contour to your curves for excellent pressure relief, but because these materials take a few seconds to respond, you may have to exert slightly more effort when changing positions.
Casper’s Zoned Support™ in the third layer of the mattress is designed to provide a more tailored firmness that is increased under your hips, which tend to be heavier, to keep them level with your shoulders and legs. Casper was designed to deliver one universal feel that should work great for most individuals.
Novosbed offers three different firmness levels, and strictly side sleepers who want additional pressure relief may prefer the soft while strictly stomach sleepers might find the Firm provides better spine alignment. If those three firmness levels don’t work with you, the company will also send out what they call a Comfort+ Kit, with an extra layer to zip into the mattress that will help better customize the mattress to accommodate your needs.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Though the feels are slightly different, sinkage on these two brands is about the same and both choices should hold your body in a more gentle cradle (though you may sink just a touch deeper in the Soft Novosbed).
All-foam products typically do not have a lot of bounce, but Casper has some built into its surface layer to aid repositioning. Though the competitor’s bounce is minimal and repositioning on Novosbed may require slightly more effort, the gentle cradle of the mattress should prevent the stuck feeling associated with traditional memory materials.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Constructions that use a lot of foam shine with motion isolation because foam has the ability to absorb vibration before it travels across the surface. In either choice, motion transfer should be minimal. If you are a light sleeper and worry that your partner will wake you up when getting in and out of bed, both choices can put that concern to rest.
Comparing Edge Support
Though all-foam brands rolled into boxes do not have a reputation for exceptional edge support, both choices here perform better than average. Most individuals may notice a bit of compression when they sit with all their weight concentrated on the side, but sleeping along the edge of either brand should feel comfortable and secure.
Casper vs. Novosbed Compared Side-by-Side
|Materials||Zoned Support, uniquely formulated comfort foam, memory foam and base foam that are high-density||Interlock Blue™ Core Cover, breathable memory comfort layer, high-density memory product, premium support foam|
|Cooling||AirScape comfort structure||Gentle cradle combined with airflow through foam|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradling||Gentle Cradling|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||No|
|Warranty||10 years||15 years|
|Trial Period||100 nights||120 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||White Glove Delivery may be available in certain locations, shipping to USA, United Kingdom, Switzerland, also Austria, Canada, and Germany||Ships to US and Canada, white glove delivery available in select areas |
|Made in the USA||Designed and Assembled in the USA||Yes|
|Size||Casper (w/o discount)||Novosbed Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Casper or Novosbed?
Both mattresses have a lot to offer in different categories. While they are very similar, there are some nuances to their overall feel and a few added features that may help you make up your mind.
We Would Recommend Buying Casper if You are Looking for:
- Bounce. There is some bounce in the surface of Casper that works with its response time to ease repositioning on the mattress and give it a slightly different feel.
- Exceptional versatility. Designed to be universal, this brand strives for versatility, which is something that should appeal to combination sleepers or couples who have different body shapes, sleep habits, or preferences.
- Zoned spinal support. If you are someone who carries additional weight around your middle and require a bit extra support in the center of the mattress, Casper’s new Zoned Support™ may appeal to you. Exclusive stomach sleepers may also appreciate this added feature.
We Would Recommend Buying Novosbed if You are Looking for:
- A classic memory feel. Those on the hunt for a classic memory feel that doesn’t trap them in their foam should see the appeal of this brand, which has high-density memory products that slowly contour to the body’s shape for exceptional pressure relief.
- Multiple fIrmness choices and customization. If your firmness needs are more specific, you may enjoy the options available with this mattress. Not only can you choose between Soft, Medium, and Firm, the company will also work with you after you’ve received the mattress to further customize firmness with its Comfort+ Kit.
- An environmentally conscious brand. Novosbed believes that customization reduces waste, and by designing a longer-lasting and more personalized sleep experience, they can keep beds out of landfills. Further, they are working to use more recycled materials in their constructions, as well as repurposed solvents to treat their materials.
Now that we’ve introduced these two beds, have you come closer to making a choice? Are you someone who wants bounce or someone who wants to sink into their sleep? Still can’t decide?
If you need additional info, head over to our in-depth reviews for more specifics about each that may help you reach a decision.
Sources and References
- How Casper Flipped the Mattress Industry – fortune.com
- After frustrating mattress buying experience, twins launch own brand online – theglobeandmail.com