Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Are you shopping for a classic memory feel but unsure what firmness to choose? Are you interested in buying from an established brand?
One of the first bed-in-a-box companies to launch in 2009, Canadian-owned Novosbed, which has factories both in Canada and the U.S., is built on providing perfect comfort that is built to last, and their efforts, which work with you to customize your firmness using more durable memory materials, are aimed at keeping mattresses out of landfills.
Our in-depth review of Novosbed will show you all the highlights from its classic feel and superior motion isolation to its breathable cover and moisture protection.
The Medium version is the concentration of this review, but you may also order a Soft or Firm. As part of the company’s Perfect Firmness Guarantee, they will send you an extra layer to adjust the mattress’ feel if necessary.
Read on for more details or cut to the summary for our score and impression.
You will love Novosbed if you:
- Want a classic memory experience – High-end memory comfort layers provide a classic feeling of sinking into the mattress as the top layers contour to your every curve.
- Want affordable luxury – Mattresses with this amount of luxury memory materials sell for thousands more in the in-store retail space, but this company can offer the same quality for less by using an online sales model.
- Are unsure about firmness – Not only do you have three comfort levels to choose from, the company will work with you after you try it to change the feel with an additional layer to provide a better fit.
You might not like Novosbed if you:
- Want bounce – The classic memory materials do an exceptional job isolating motion, cradling your body, and relieving pressure, but bounce is minimal, especially compared with innerspring mattresses.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Novosbed is a bed-in-a-box memory mattress. Like most all-foam products, you will want to place it on a firm, non-flexible foundation. Platforms, closely slatted frames, and adjustable bases are fine, but the company also sells its own foundation specially designed for this bed.
The top of the cover is a soft stretch-knit Tencel, a breathable material made from wood pulp that provides superior moisture wicking. This portion can be removed and machine washed, but the company recommends you hang dry it.
The base of the cover is upholstery-grade textile incorporated with a non-slip bottom, which is especially convenient for use with adjustable bases.
There are four levels, and it stands 11 inches tall.
- The first layer is an Interlock Blue™ Core Cover that gives the foam some extra protection from moisture, which helps to prolong the mattress’ life and quality. The fabric has 2-way elastic stretch so it will not inhibit the comfort experience of memory materials.
- The second layer is a 2-inch layer of High-Density Airflow Memory Foam, which provides pressure relief and motion isolation. This material is aerated with vertical channels to improve temperature regulation.
- The third layer is a 2-inch High-Density Memory Foam Transition layer for plush support and additional pressure relief while forming a transition between the top comfort layer and the base.
- The fourth layer is 7 inches of Premium Support Foam that provides structure and supports the sleeper’s spinal alignment while eliminating motion transfer.
The Soft and Firm iterations vary slightly in their construction. The Soft version has a thinner base level and an extra inch of memory materials with added gel to help combat heat retention. The Firm version’s comfort layers make it slightly firmer than the Medium.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We scored the Medium version at a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, in which 10 is the firmest. Mattresses in this range are typically bestsellers because of their ability to work with a variety of body shapes and sizes, as well as sleep positions.
With the classic memory feel, you can expect to slowly sink into the memory materials as they respond to your weight and body heat. With this comfort level, you should experience a comfortable cradling that will contour to your body for pressure relief, but you should not feel stuck.
Sleeping closer to the surface, more of your body is exposed to the air and this will help you stay cool. Also, the top layer of aerated foam improves airflow, which also helps reduce heat retention associated with memory products.
The mattress’ overall minimal bounce and the slower-responding foams require a slight amount of effort to navigate. Most sleepers should not have any trouble, but for sleepers who struggle with repositioning, it is something to consider in mattresses with this amount of quality memory materials.
Most back sleepers will enjoy the feel of comfort materials conforming to their lower spine for continuous support along the length of their back that keeps their spine aligned (you can learn more about it here).
Most side sleepers will likewise appreciate the comfort layers working to dissolve pressure points that can develop along their hips and shoulders in this position. Exclusive side sleepers may find the extra pressure relief in the Soft option is a better fit.
Stomach sleepers need to be mindful that their hips do not dip too low in this position which often leaves their spine awkwardly arched. The firm supportive base and Medium comfort level should help alleviate this issue, but exclusive stomach sleepers may want to consider the Firm option to ensure good spine alignment.
The company is committed to working with you to achieve the perfect comfort level so they offer a Perfect Firmness Guarantee. If you feel after 30 days like the firmness is not right, you may opt to receive a free Comfort+ Kit that includes a cover extension and an extra layer, which is either firmer or softer, depending on your needs.
This bed does an exceptional job at isolating motion due to the high volume of quality memory materials in the top layers paired with a poly foam base that work to absorb vibrations and greatly minimize motion transfer. If you share your sleep space with a restless sleeper and are shopping for good motion isolation, this would be a great choice.
All-foam mattresses that are compressed into a box do not usually excel in this category, but due to the amount of high-end and durable foams in the Novosbed, it performs slightly better than industry expectations. Sitting on the edge, your concentrated weight will slightly compress the comfort layers and rest on the base layer. If you share your mattress and tend to sleep closer to the side, you should sleep securely and not feel like you are going to roll out.
- Multiple Firmness Options – You may select one of three different options: Soft, Medium, or Firm, depending on your sleep preferences.
- Perfect Firmness Guarantee – If, after adjusting for 30 days, you suspect you need a different firmness level, the company will send you a Comfort+ Kit, which allows you to zip in an extra layer either softer or firmer, to help you achieve the perfect feel.
- Optional White Glove Delivery Service – You may elect to have your mattress professionally installed and your old mattress hauled away for an additional fee. The company engages with a third-party organization for this service.
- CertiPUR-US® Certified – A third party organization has evaluated the foams and found them free from harmful levels of chemicals like formaldehyde, VOCs, and lead.
- Environmental Initiatives – This company strives to reduce its carbon footprint by ensuring that manufacturing waste is recycled or repurposed, including a substantial portion of solvents used to treat the textiles. They also believe that longer-lasting products help reduce landfill waste.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
Novosbed, one of the first bed-in-a-box brands to hit the market, delivers a classic memory foam sleep for a fraction of brick-and-mortar retail prices.
Note: We did not include Trial/Warranty scores due Amazon Associates Program stipulations.
Novosbed has spent nearly a decade building their reputation as a bed-in-a-box brand and was one of the first to revolutionize the mattress industry with an online sales model. Their memory mattress is built with luxury materials that are built to last.
Buyers who are nervous purchasing a mattress online without trying it can rest assured that this company will work to ensure individualized comfort through their Perfect Firmness Guarantee.
The aerated top layer and cover are designed to be breathable and temperature regulating. All three internal layers are protected by an Interlock Blue™ core cover that provides elastic give while locking out moisture that can degrade the durability of high-density, pressure relieving memory materials.
Author: Mark Reddick
When I’m not learning about sleep, you can find me hanging out with my wife and close friends.
I absolutely love entrepreneurship and learning how to improve yourself daily. We only get one life, and I want to make it the best one possible.
I hope that everyone that finds our site takes a new approach to sleep. The world needs to stop thinking about it as something “we just do,” but rather something that allows us “to do every day.”