One of the first bed-in-a-box companies to launch in 2009, Canadian-owned Novosbed, was built on providing comfortable mattresses that are built to last. Their efforts are aimed at keeping mattresses out of landfills by helping you customize your firmness using more durable memory materials.
Our in-depth review of Novosbed will show you the highlights and drawbacks, including who we think this mattress is best for. We’ll focus on the Medium model, but you may also order a Soft or Firm. Plus, as part of the company’s Perfect Firmness Guarantee, Novosbed sends you an extra layer to adjust the mattress’ feel if necessary.
Watch Our Novosbed Video Review
Who We Recommend The Novosbed For:
- Those after a classic memory experience – High-end memory comfort layers provide a classic feeling of sinking into the mattress as the top layers contour to your every curve.
- Shoppers looking for affordable luxury – Mattresses with this amount of luxury memory materials sell for thousands more in the in-store retail space, but this company can offer the same quality for less by using an online sales model.
- Those who can’t decide on firmness – Not only do you have three comfort levels to choose from, but the company offers to change the feel with an additional layer to provide a better fit if you don’t like the original firmness level you chose.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Novosbed For:
- Those who want bounce – The classic foam materials do an exceptional job isolating motion, cradling your body, and relieving pressure, but the bounce is minimal, especially compared with innerspring mattresses.
- People who want edge support – You may not get the same level of support in the perimeter as you will in the center of the bed. Although you’re unlikely to roll off the bed if you sleep near the edge, you’ll feel the layers compressing since there are no coils to hold them up like in a hybrid mattress.
- Heavy sleepers – Although the mattress comes in three firmness levels, none of them are likely to be supportive enough for heavy people weighing over 230 pounds.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 6/10 (Medium Firm)
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
We rate mattress firmness on a scale of 1 to 10, where 1 is the softest and 10 is the firmest. This mattress comes in three firmness levels, but since we’re focusing on the Medium model, this is the firmness level we’ll cover here.
We scored the Medium version at a 6 out of 10 on our firmness scale, which means it should feel medium-firm to most people. Mattresses in this firmness range are incredibly versatile because of their ability to accommodate various body shapes, sizes, and sleep positions.
How Does It Feel?
With the classic memory feel, you can expect to slowly sink into the memory materials as they respond to your weight and body heat. With this comfort level, you should experience a comfortable cradling that will contour to your body for pressure relief without making you feel stuck.
Additionally, the top layer of aerated foam improves airflow, which helps reduce heat retention associated with memory products.
What We Like About the Novosbed
- The firmness options – The Novosbed is available in three firmness options, so sleepers can choose based on their body weight, preferred sleeping position, and other needs and preferences.
- Classic memory foam feel – This is a memory foam bed that has that unique slow-responding feel you can only get from mattresses that have memory foam. This bed has two memory foam layers, providing a hugging and contouring feel that’s perfect for pressure relief.
- Washable cover – The Novosbed mattress has a washable Tencel™ cover that makes it easy to maintain the bed clean. In addition, it adds a touch of cooling for those who sleep hot.
Our Novosbed Complaints
- It may make you feel stuck – The memory foam in this bed has a slow response, and although the sinkage helps with pressure relief, it may make some people feel stuck while trying to change positions. If you’re a combination sleeper who needs a bouncier bed that responds quickly to your movement, you may want to consider a hybrid mattress instead.
- Not supportive enough for stomach sleepers – Even with the firmest model, stomach sleepers might not find enough support to keep the hips aligned with the rest of the body. This is because memory foam is naturally hugging and allows more sinkage, especially in the heaviest parts, such as the hips.
Testing the Novosbed Mattress: How it Performed
The Novosbed has a classic memory foam feel that should make you feel cradled inside the comfort layers. We tested the mattress in various sleeping positions to see if the sinkage level and support stayed the same for side, back, and stomach sleepers.
In addition, we also tested the bed for preference-based features such as motion isolation, pressure relief, bounce, and edge support.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
Although we couldn’t find any official statement regarding the Novobeds’ weight limit, we think this memory foam bed can safely handle up to 300 pounds. However, this also depends on the kind of bed foundation you place it on.
Most memory foam mattresses have a similar weight limit, making them good for all sleepers, including heavier ones. However, the Novosbed, specifically the Medium Firm model, may be a bit too soft for sleepers who weigh over 230 pounds.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★★☆||★★★||★☆☆|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★☆☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★☆☆||★☆☆||☆☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers should like the sinkage that the memory foam comfort layer allows. The gentle cradle and contouring feel good around the pressure points like your shoulders, hips, and knees. Some, however, may prefer the softer version of this bed.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers should sink more depending on their exact weight. They should experience a nice balance of pressure relief and support thanks to the medium firm feel.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy sleepers are likely to feel trapped inside the comfort layer as it’s not supportive enough to keep the body in alignment.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Back sleepers weighing under 130 pounds should like how the memory foam contours the lower back to prevent pressure buildup while keeping the body in a healthy sleeping posture.
- Average Weight Sleepers – People weighing 130 to 230 pounds should experience this mattress differently based on their exact weight. Nonetheless, most should like the contouring memory foam, and the medium firm feel that doesn’t allow the lower back to sink too deeply.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy back sleepers may find their body sinking too deeply into the comfort layer, so they should consider going for the firmer model.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should find the medium firm feel comfortable enough. The memory foam still contours the body but without as much sinkage.
- Average Weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers should sink deeper into the memory foam comfort layer, which can result in poor sleeping posture, especially for those weighing closer to 230 pounds.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy stomach sleepers will likely find this bed too soft. In some cases, even the firmer model may not offer enough support to keep the hips aligned with the rest of the body.
Pressure Relief & Pain
There’s nothing better for pressure buildup than memory foam, so the Novosbed should be a good choice for most people struggling with this issue. This bed has two memory foam layers and then an extra foam base that ensures the upper two layers perform at their peak. The mattress allows enough sinkage to contour the curves, which helps relieve pressure and prevent it from building up again, especially for those who like sleeping on their side.
- Back Pain – People with back pain should feel nicely supported thanks to the medium firm feel this mattress has. Those who need extra support may even want to consider the firmer model. Either way, the mattress does a good job of supporting the body in alignment while also contouring the body, filling the gaps between your curves and the mattress. This should help back sleepers with pain in the lower back region.
- Hip Pain – People with hip pain should also like the contouring memory foam, especially if they usually sleep on their side. The mattress has a memory foam comfort layer that contours the hips to help relieve pain and pressure in this area without letting it sink too deeply.
- Shoulder Pain – Shoulder pain can be a struggle to sleep with, especially if you’re a side sleeper. The Novosbed is likely to help bring some relief as it has contouring memory foam that offers just enough sinkage for pressure and pain relief.
Explore the best mattresses for back pain or the best mattresses for hip and shoulder pain.
Although this bed’s main selling point is the pressure relief it delivers, it doesn’t lack in the support department. The Novosbed may allow sinkage, but not at the cost of support and spinal alignment. The comfort layer is softer, but there’s another layer of memory foam underneath. This one has a firmer feel and sits right on top of an even firmer base. This should feel comfortable for most back sleepers since the layers offer continuous support along the length of the back that keeps the spine aligned.
However, the Novosbed mattress may not be supportive enough for stomach sleepers and those weighing over 230 pounds.
This bed does an exceptional job at isolating motion due to the high volume of quality memory materials in the top layers paired with a poly foam base that works to absorb vibrations and greatly minimize motion transfer. If you sleep light and you share your sleep space with a restless sleeper, and are shopping for good motion isolation, this would be a great choice.
Its excellent motion-isolating properties make it a good choice for co-sleepers sharing their mattress with a child or pet. Our tests showed that partners are unlikely to feel one another tossing and turning on the opposite side of the bed.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
If you’re a hot sleeper and cooling is the primary thing you’re looking for, you may want to consider another mattress. The Novosbed is made entirely out of foam, and foam beds, particularly those made from memory foam, have a tendency to trap heat. Although this bed has a Tencel™ cover that feels cool to the touch, memory foam is likely to allow the heat to build up around your body. The Novosbed isn’t the hottest memory foam mattress – thanks to the Tencel™ cover – but it’s likely too hot for extremely hot sleepers.
Performance for Couples
Couples looking for a versatile mattress with good motion isolation should like the Novosbed. The bed absorbs motion well enough to allow partners with different sleeping habits to sleep undisrupted. In addition, many may also like the medium firm feel as it fits various sleeping positions.
However, couples looking for a bouncy bed may want to look elsewhere.
Multiple Firmness Options
You may select one of three different options: Soft, Medium, or Firm, depending on your sleep preferences.
Perfect Firmness Guarantee
If, after adjusting for 30 days, you suspect you need a different firmness level, the company will send you a Comfort+ Kit, which allows you to zip in an extra layer, either softer or firmer, to help you achieve the perfect feel.
This company strives to reduce its carbon footprint by ensuring that manufacturing waste is recycled or repurposed, including a substantial portion of solvents used to treat the textiles. They also believe that longer-lasting products help reduce landfill waste.
Adjustable Base Compatible
This bed is compatible with a range of mattress foundations, including adjustable bases.
Made in the USA
Construction: What’s Inside the Novosbed?
The top of the cover is a soft stretch-knit Tencel, a breathable material made from wood pulp that provides superior moisture wicking. This portion can be removed, and machine washed, but the company recommends you hang dry it.
The base of the cover is upholstery-grade textile incorporated with a non-slip bottom, which is especially convenient for use with adjustable bases.
There are four levels, including three foam layers, so the entire bed stands 11 inches tall.
- The first layer is an Interlock Blue™ Core Cover that gives the foam some extra protection from moisture, which helps to prolong the mattress’ life and quality. The fabric has 2-way elastic stretch, so it will not inhibit the comfort experience of memory materials.
- The comfort layer is a 2-inch layer of High-Density Airflow Memory Foam, which provides pressure relief and motion isolation. This material is aerated with vertical channels to improve temperature regulation.
- The transition layer is a 2-inch High-Density Memory Foam Transition layer for plush support and additional pressure relief while forming a transition between the top comfort layer and the base.
- The base layer is 7 inches of Premium Support Foam that provides structure and supports the sleeper’s spinal alignment while eliminating motion transfer.
The Soft and Firm iterations vary slightly in their construction. The Soft model has a thinner base level and an extra inch of memory materials with added gel to help combat heat retention. The Firm version’s comfort layers make it slightly firmer than the Medium.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
Novosbed is a bed-in-a-box memory mattress. Like most all-foam products, you will want to place it on a firm, non-flexible foundation. Platforms, closely slatted frames, and adjustable bases are fine, but the company also sells its own foundation specially designed for this bed.
Although it comes in a box, it can be a bit heavy, so make sure you have someone help you move it from the door to the bedroom. If not, you can opt for white glove delivery. Once it’s in place and unpacked, it’ll take up to 48 hours for the bed to reach its full size. Any off-gassing you may notice is completely normal for memory foam beds and should dissipate by the time the Novosbed decompresses.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – The foams in this bed are CertiPUR-US® certified. CertiPUR-US® is a third-party program that ensures the foams meet rigorous health and safety standards. This means they don’t contain harmful substances like ozone depleters, PBDEs, heavy metals, formaldehyde, and phthalates. They should also have low volatile organic compound (VOC) emissions.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – This company ships to the U.S. and Canada. Shipping times may vary by location. Some more remote locations may involve a shipping fee.
- White Glove Delivery – You may elect to have your mattress professionally installed, and your old mattress hauled away for an additional fee. The company engages with a third-party organization for this service.
- Trial – Your sleep trial begins as soon as you receive your shipment and lasts for 120 days. If you do not feel the bed is a good fit, you can elect to receive a Comfort+ Kit or return the mattress for free.
- Warranty – There is a 15-year warranty that comes with this product, which is pro-rated after 10 years.
- Return Policy – You must keep the mattress for at least 30 days before initiating a return. Once you do, you’ll receive a full refund and the company will pick up the mattress to donate it.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||38” x 75” x 11”||$799|
|Twin XL||38” x 80” x 11”||$849|
|Full||53” x 75” x 11”||$899|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$999|
|King||76” x 80 x 11”||$1,199|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,199|
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Novosbed sleep hot?
The Novosbed may sleep hot, especially for those who tend to struggle with frequent sweating. The mattress has memory foam that often holds body heat and doesn’t allow too much ventilation, which is why some brands incorporate several other cooling features.
What is Novosbed made from?
The Novosbed contains memory foam in addition to a poly foam base layer. The combination of materials allows a balance of sinkage for pressure relief and enough support to keep the body aligned. Although the memory foam may overheat, it offers excellent motion isolation.
Is Novosbed a hybrid?
The Novosbed isn’t a hybrid but an all-foam mattress made from memory foam and poly foam. As such, it has excellent pressure relief and motion isolation but not the best edge support and bounce you’d get from a hybrid.
Novosbed vs. Other Brands
Novosbed vs. Nolah Signature
- 11-inch profile
- Tencel™ cover
- 15-year warranty
- 12-inch profile
- Luxury cotton cover
- Lifetime warranty
Who We Recommend the Novosbed For
- Average-weight side sleepers
- Light sleepers
Who We Recommend the Nolah Signature For
- Hot sleepers
- Lightweight sleepers
- People with hip pain
Read our Nolah Signature mattress review if you think Nolah is right for you.
Novosbed vs. Bear Original
- Two memory foam layers
- Deeper hug
- 120-night trial period
- One memory foam layer
- Gentle cradle
- 120-night trial period
Who We Recommend the Novosbed For
- Restless sleepers
- Back sleepers
Who We Recommend the Bear Original For
- People who overheat
- Sleepers looking for thinner bed
Read our Bear Original mattress review if you think Bear is right for you.
Novosbed delivers all that we expect from a memory foam mattress, so if you’re after a high-quality, durable model, this may be the right choice for you. Plus, the company adds value by offering a lengthy trial, a 15-year warranty, and optional white glove delivery.
Side sleepers should like the medium firm feel this Novosbed provides. The memory foam offers variable levels of sinkage based on the sleeper’s weight, so there should be enough contouring to relieve pressure around the hips, knees, and shoulders. However, some may prefer the other two firmness options based on their weight.
Back sleepers should feel nicely supported by the medium firm construction. The Novosbed mattress offers a balance of pressure relief and support, both of which are needed for back sleeping. The memory foam fills the gap between the lower back and the mattress, which is especially good for back sleepers with lower back problems.
Stomach sleepers need maximum support to keep the hips from sinking too deeply into the first layer. For this reason, the Novosbed mattress may not be the best choice, as the memory foam might make the hips sink too much. Even the firmer model is unlikely to provide sufficient support for stomach sleepers over 130 pounds.
Combination sleepers should like the medium firm feel and memory foam that adapts to the body in different positions. However, this bed is not the best for stomach sleeping, so combo sleepers who often find themselves on their stomach may want to look elsewhere. Plus, the memory foam can make some people feel trapped, making it difficult to switch positions.
Couples who are after maximum motion isolation should enjoy the Novosbed mattress, as its memory foam layers do an incredible job of absorbing motion. However, couples who want a bouncy bed with lots of pushback should look for another option because the Novosbed has a slow response and nearly no bounce.
Heavy sleepers weighing over 230 pounds are unlikely to find enough support in the body-hugging memory foam construction. Even the firmer model may not be supportive enough, but this depends on the preferred sleeping position. In other words, heavy side sleepers may do well with the firmer model, whereas other sleeping positions are likely to feel uncomfortable.
Lightweight sleepers should like the body-hugging sensation coming from the memory foam layers. These people should experience enough pressure relief and support since they don’t weigh enough to sink too deeply. However, some may prefer the softer model for extra pressure relief.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average-weight sleepers are most likely to find the medium firm feel comfortable as it offers a balance of support and pressure relief. The comfort layer cradles the body, while the other two layers underneath ensure nothing falls too deeply within the mattress construction. However, those weighing closer to 230 pounds may want to try the Novosbed Firm mattress.
Novosbed is a high-quality mattress that offers many benefits to those after a budget-friendly memory foam bed. Although it sleeps a bit hot, it offers impeccable motion isolation and pressure relief. Plus, shoppers can switch between firmness levels, adjusting it even after the purchase.
Novosbed, one of the first bed-in-a-box brands to hit the market, delivers a classic memory foam sleep for a fraction of brick-and-mortar retail prices. Buyers who are nervous about purchasing a mattress online without trying it can rest assured that this company will work to ensure individualized comfort through their Perfect Firmness Guarantee.
The aerated top layer and cover are designed to be breathable and temperature-regulating. Although this may not be enough for extremely hot sleepers, it should work well for those who don’t sleep too hot. In addition, there’s a balance of support and pressure relief to keep the body aligned in a healthy sleeping posture which should also help with pain relief.
Olivera is a content writer for Sleep Advisor and is enthusiastic about sleep. She firmly believes in the benefits of daytime naps on top of getting a full 8-hour sleep at night.
She started writing in 2016 and never looked back. What she appreciates the most is her flexible working hours and the ability to work with people worldwide.
In her free time, Olivera enjoys reading Spanish literature, taking pilates classes, and trying out new cocktails with friends.