Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
You may have seen their witty ads boasting how their mattress can withstand the “egg test” and how their Hyper Elastic Polymer™ is a superior option compared to memory foam. Well, today Purple goes head to head not with memory foam, but itself.
Yes, this is our New Purple vs. Original Purple bed comparison.
There are some key differences between these beds that you may want to know before dropping either of these options into your virtual shopping cart. Both are quality products that have some important structural differences that can drastically affect the support and feel of these mattresses.
Quick Comparison: Original Purple vs. The New Purple
- Grid system adds effective support
- Reduces heat retention
- Easier repositioning
- Temperature neutral
- Designed for all body types
- Three firmness choices
The original uses their patented Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ topped over layers of supportive polyfoam. The newer model tops the same material over a pocketed coil system that helps maximize support and minimize motion transfer. Another addition to the newer model is it comes available in three different firmness levels, Soft, Medium, and Firm.
So who will it be? The young or the old, the new or the classic? That decision will be up to you, but to gather more details on these products check our links below.
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
The Original Purple Mattress Construction
This bed is tightly compressed into a box for facilitated shipping and setup. Simply set it on your bed frame of choice, unbox it, and allow it to expand.
Encasing this 9.5-inch bed is the company’s original stretch cover, made from 30 percent viscose, 65 percent polyester, and 5 percent lycra.
- The top layer is 2 inches of their Smart Comfort Grid™ made from their exclusively patented Hyper-Elastic Polymer™. This highly durable material provides comfort by washing away pressure points.
- The middle layer is a 3.5-inch high-density poly foam. This layer helps ease the body into the supportive foam beneath as well as acts as a comfort layer.
- The base layer is a firm 4-inch support layer designed as a durable foundation.
The New Purple Mattress Construction
This hybrid incorporates the company’s proprietary Smart Comfort Grid™ and a supportive pocket coil unit. The bed provides White Glove Delivery and removal of your old mattress with your purchase.
This cover is an enhanced version of the original. The brand calls it their Premium StretchMax Cover. This breathable material is a blended fabric, 98 percent polyester with a hint of spandex.
The cover has been circular knit to help maximize stretch to fit over any of the three Smart Comfort Grid™ designs. This mattress ranges anywhere between 11 and 13 inches tall depending on the version of the Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ top you order.
- The top layer, sleepers can choose from a 2-inch, 3-inch, or 4-inch Smart Comfort Grid™ made from the Hyper-Elastic Polymer™. 2 inches provides a Firm feel, while the 3-inch material fosters a Medium, and the 4-inch delivers a Soft.
- The next layer introduces a 0.5-inch polyurethane foam that helps transition both the bed and sleeper from the Smart Comfort Grid™ into the coil layer beneath.
- The third layer, this is the 7.5-inch support system that is made up of responsive support coils. These have been individually wrapped to create a noiseless sleep experience as well as reduces motion transfer. This layer is highly supportive and helps foster bounce.
- Perimeter reinforcement is provided by a dense polyfoam that furnishes supportive edges.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
We rate mattresses on a scale from 1 to 10, with a 10 being as hard as concrete. The Original scores at a 6, while the New model scores at varying levels depending on which model you purchase. The Purple 2 scores at a 7, the 3 is a 5.5, and the 4 comes in between a 4.5 and 5.
Both of these options should fulfill most folks desires, though the choice may come down to preference. The versatility of the New model allows sleepers to choose their firmness, and it also adds a tad more support than its predecessor. The New Purple 2 may work best for stomach sleepers, because of its firmer feel, while the 3 and 4 might be a better option for combo and side sleepers respectively.
Out of the box, the Original is a great option for the majority of people and sleeping positions. The nice thing about either mattress is that the polymer grid is designed to react differently to amounts of pressure, making this a choice option for whatever sleeping position you prefer.
The Smart Comfort Grid™ is extremely responsive, it springs back into place immediately when pressure is released. But if sleepers want a more responsive bed, the New should work best because of the innerspring unit.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Sinkage in either of these models is going to vary depending on body type and sleeping positions as the polymers are designed to react to pressure points.
The original mattress should cradle sleepers nicely and contour to their curves. Beneath the polymer layer are the supportive foams that give way to very slight sinkage. The bed has hardly any bounce, but the responsive top layer may help slightly with repositioning.
Sinkage is going to vary between the New Purple 2, 3, and 4. Each offers its own unique responsive experience. It can be expected that most sleepers will sink further into the bed on the 4-inch top, while the 3-inch allows a moderate sink, and the 2-inch leaves sleepers resting on more of a firm, supportive surface.
As far as bounce goes, the newer model has increased amounts of bounce due to the pocket coils, so if that is something you are looking for, then you can expect this option to perform better in this category. This buoyancy in the springs simplifies repositioning by giving the sleeper assistance as they push into the bed.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Stopping motion transfer can be important for folks who share a bed and sleep light. Nobody likes being woken up because they can feel each and every movement as their sleeping partner gets in and out of bed.
Both of these options perform exceptionally well with motion transfer Very little motion makes it across the surface of either of this mattresses, so waking should hardly be a concern.
These two beds are pretty comparable, but if there had to be a winner it would be the Original. Although the pocket coils do help isolate motion, they also provide a lot of bounce, and with all that motion in the springs, it is nearly impossible to stop one-hundred percent of movement.
Comparing Edge Support
Nearly everyone has experienced sleeping with someone who pushes you to the outermost edge of the mattress. You lay there with one leg dangling off the side, hoping that you do not fall off. When this is your situation edge support quickly becomes a key factor in your mattress selection.
The Original does not have any type of edge reinforcement, though it should prove just fine to keep most sleepers supported throughout the night. The newer model does incorporate reinforced foam edges. Sleepers may notice some buckling when sitting along the perimeter, but overall, the newer model outshines its older brother in this category.
Original Purple vs. New Purple Compared Side-by-Side
|Features||Original Purple||Brand 2 Name|
|Cover||Viscose, Lycra, and polyester||Polyester and Spandex|
|Materials||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ and poly foams||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™, poly foams, and pocket coils|
|Cooling||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ is temperature neutral with airflow design||Hyper-Elastic Polymer™ is temperature neutral with airflow design and pocket coils have air pockets to permit air to flow freely|
|Sinkage||Gentle cradling, depending on sleep position||Gentle cradle, depending on position and firmness option|
|Bounce||Yes, in the top layer||Yes|
|Warranty||10 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 nights||100 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to USA and Canada||Ships to USA and Canada|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Original Purple Price (w/o discount)||New Purple 2” Price (w/o discount)||New Purple 3” Price (w/o discount)||New 4” Purple Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy the Original Purple or the New Purple?
So, you have a tough decision ahead of you. Let us make it easier, here are some final notes to help you choose.
We Would Recommend Buying Original if You are Looking for:
- Great Value. This mattress is half the price of the newer model but offers many of the same comfort features that make these products so unique.
- All foam feel. The foam base on this bed gives sleepers the foam feeling that they may be used to. This foam base should provide plenty of support while simultaneously helping relieve pressure in areas like the hips and shoulder.
- An all-around fit. While the newer model offers multiple firmness options, this mattress is great because it fits the needs of a wider range of individuals. So, if you and a sleeping partner have varying sleep preferences, this might better suit what both of you are looking for because of the simplicity of its design.
We Would Recommend Buying New Purple if You are Looking for:
- Further Cooling. Purple beds already sleep extremely cool because of the open polymer design. They enhanced the cooling in this model by swapping out the foam layers and replacing them with a breathable pocket coil unit to promote additional airflow through the bed.
- Bounce. Folks who love bounce should enjoy the innerspring system in this product. It is great for repositioning and not too shabby for extracurricular nighttime activities with a sleeping partner.
- Multiple firmness options. The top comfort layer has three different firmness options for customers to choose from. The Firm (2”), the Medium (3”), and the Soft (4”) offer a more tailored fit that caters to an array of different sleep preferences and body types.
Have you come to a decision? Will it be the new or classic? Both have their benefits, but keep in mind Purple has intended for the New model to be the superior mattress, though the Original still offers some great benefits and a more affordable price point.
If you are still having trouble making a selection, don’t forget to check out our in-depth reviews on each of these products.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.