When it comes to memory foam mattresses, which is better, the tried-and-true or the new technology? Layla vs. Novosbed takes a look at the new Layla, which uses copper-infused layers to combat heat, and Novosbed, among the first brands to deliver mattresses rolled up in cardboard to your door.
So which one will win? Read on to find out, or take a look at each bed in-depth in our individual reviews:
Quick Comparison: Layla vs. Novosbed
SLEEPADVISOR or click the button below
- Double-sided firmness
- Copper-infused memory foam
- 120-nights trial period
- Classic memory foam feel
- Affordable luxury
- Medium level firmness
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This brand arrives boxed and rolled up and provides a versatile memory feel that can be flipped on either side for a firmer or softer experience. It is covered in a polyester blend with viscose, lycra, and ThermoGel® properties designed to stay cool when in contact with heat during the night.
Coming in at 10 inches, the product is made up of four layers:
- The top layer, when the soft side is face up, is a 3-inch memory foam infused with copper, which helps dissipate body heat as it is compressed.
- The second layer uses 2-inch convoluted foam as a multipurpose transition layer for pressure relief, comfort, and breathability.
- The third layer is where the main support is found—4-inches of firmer foam gives the mattress its durability and maintains comfortable sleep.
- The base layer, the same material as the first, is 1 inch thick.
With the Firm side up, the layers are reversed.
Novosbed comes in three different firmness options (Soft, Medium, and Firm) and is shipped compressed to your door. Also, the company offers a Comfort+ kit that they will send free of charge if the mattress is too firm or soft for your liking. This comparison will mainly focus on the Medium choice, a good option for the largest group of sleepers.
Its 11 inches are covered in three different materials. The top portion is stretch-knit made of machine washable Tencel that can zip off, and the sides are surrounded in a high-end furniture-grade fabric. Underneath those is the inner elastic cover that protects the three layers of foam.
- The first layer is high-density foam designed to maximize airflow and provide 2 inches of comfort.
- The second layer, like the first, is transitional high-density foam that gives support to the soft top layer and softens more supportive last layer in its 2 inches.
- The last layer provides structural support in its 7-inch Premium Support Foam. It balances out the softness of the top to maintain comfortable posture while sleeping.
Keep in mind that other firmness models have a slightly different construction.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Both brands offer varying levels of firmness, but for our purposes, scores will be based on the Soft side of Layla and the Medium Novosbed.
Layla touches down at a 4 on the Sleep Advisor firmness scale. It should give quite a slow response, which is what most think of when imagining a memory foam bed. The softness should conform to the natural curves of the body when back or side sleeping, offering a good balance between softness and support.
Heavier sleepers or exclusive stomach sleepers may find the firmer side (scoring a 7 out of 10) of the mattress to be more comfortable.
Novosbed lands at a 6 out of 10, landing at the most versatile section of our scale. Most sleepers in any position will enjoy the soft top layer and feel the right amount of structure in the transitional and lower foams; however, if the regular mattress does not fit your needs, the Comfort+ kit will adjust the bed to be firmer or softer. Because it is a memory bed as well, the response will be quite slow.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
On a memory bed, sleepers often feel a good amount of contouring around the body and get the feel of hugging with a minimal amount of bounce. Layla should provide a deeper hug on the soft side, feeling as if sinking into the bed. Although moving positions will not be a problem for most, older folks or those who need some extra support in the mobility department may prefer to sleep on the firmer side.
Novosbed should give more of a gentle cradle. While you should still get that contouring for pressure relief, you should also feel more on top of the bed than in it, meaning repositioning should be easier throughout the night.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Motion transfer can make or break a sleep experience for many who share their beds with a partner, kids, or pets. Because both brands are made of memory materials, they also offer minimal motion transfer, meaning light sleeping partners should be undisturbed throughout the night. Either bed would work well if this is key for you due to the absorbance of memory; the slow response gives off minimum bounce.
Comparing Edge Support
Similar to motion transfer, edge support tends to be important to couples. Having good edge support means the surface of the bed is, in turn, larger because sleepers can sleep closer to the side of the mattress.
Although foam beds often score lower in this area, both give a decent amount of support around the edge compared to other bed-in-a-box foam beds in this online market. Because Layla is softer, it scores a little worse than Novosbed, so for those who often sit on the end of the bed, the latter may be the better choice.
Layla vs. Novosbed Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Polyester blended with viscose, lycra, and ThermoGel®||Polyester blend with Tencel|
|Materials||Copper-infused memory foam, high-density poly foam, convoluted support foam||High-Density Airflow Memory Foam, Premium Support Foam|
|Cooling||Copper wicks away memory foam heat, and the convoluted layer promotes airflow.||Breathable Airflow foam|
|Firmness||4 or 7/10||6/10|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradling|
|Trial Period||120 nights||120 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to U.S. and Canada||Delivers to US and Canada; White Glove Delivery available in select locations|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Layla Price (w/o discount)||Novosbed Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Layla or Novosbed?
Let’s break it down; two memory foam beds with personalized firmness options. Which one can fit your needs?
We Would Recommend Buying Layla if You are Looking for:
- Dual-sided firmness. Layla makes it easy to buy a mattress online with their flippable one-mattress-fits-all model.
- A bed that keeps ultra cool. This brand pulls out all the stops when it comes to cooling; copper-infused foam and a convoluted design should keep the average sleeper from overheating.
- Super contouring. On the soft side of this brand, you should get that classic memory material feel, like you are sinking into bed. This is what provides that extra pressure relief, awesome for side sleepers and those achy hips and shoulders.
We Would Recommend Buying Novosbed if You are Looking for:
- Personalized firmness customization. While Novosbed cannot be flipped for a different feel, sleepers who find themselves in between the soft, medium, and firm options can receive a free Comfort+ firmness adjustment kit (either softer or firmer) from the company for a better fit. Those who want an extra soft or extra firm bed can achieve that with this brand.
- Luxurious features at an affordable cost. This bed is constructed with high-end fabrics and foams without costing an arm and a leg.
- Easy movement. Sleepers should not feel “stuck” making middle-of-the-night adjustments, as the gentle cradling in the top comfort layers provides pressure relief without sinking in too deeply.
Although both brands are memory foam beds, Layla and Novosbed provide unique sleeping experiences. Depending on what is important to you, whether it be the extra cooling factors of Layla or the luxurious materials in Novosbed, both brands should offer a comfortable night’s sleep for years to come. With the multiple firmness options that each bed brings to the table, most sleepers can find an option that works well for their preferences.
Still not sure about which one to pick? Check out our in-depth reviews above that take a closer look at both products. Or if you'd like to browse more, take a look at our top rated bed picks.