Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Choosing a mattress firmness can be difficult. The great news is Layla has made it much easier. Simply flip this mattress over from Medium-Soft to Firm to see which side fits you best.
On the other side of this contest, Nest Bedding is a huge player in the mattress industry, the company supports quality and affordable mattresses that fit a variety of sleep needs. The Alexander Signature presents a luxury sleeping experience at a cost that most shoppers can appreciate.
Keep reading to see which bed comes out on top and for the in-depth reviews of these beds, check out the following links.
Quick Comparison: Layla vs. Alexander Signature
SLEEPADVISOR or click the button below
- Double-sided firmness
- Copper-infused memory foam
- 120-nights trial period
SLEEPADVISOR8 or click the button below
- Enhanced cooling properties
- Deep hug experience
- High quality foam and coils
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This mattress ships compressed inside a box and is delivered directly to your home. The zip-off removable cover is a blended material made from polyester, viscose, and Lycra. It has been infused with proprietary ThermoGel®, a cooling material that activates when introduced to moisture.
This article is going to look at Layla as if experiencing to the Medium-Soft side. In total this mattress stands at about 10 inches tall, with the layers in the following configuration:
- The top layer leaves sleepers resting on 3-inch memory material that has been copper infused to enhance both contouring and cooling properties.
- Layer number two is a 2-inch convoluted support foam. This material is shaped like an egg crate to help promote airflow while fostering supplemental pressure relief.
- The third layer introduces 4.5 inches of base support foam to form the foundation.
- The base is actually not a base but the same 1-inch copper-infused material that is also in the top layer. Again, this is the Firm side and should administer both support and comfort, as well as cooling.
Alexander Signature Construction
This mattress is sent to your home compressed and sealed in plastic inside a box. The Alexander Signature is a coil and foam design made to provide their customers with strong support and maximum pressure relief.
This bed towers above most others at an impressive 14 inches tall and is covered with a polyester and cotton blended cover. Quilted to the covering is a 1.5-inch memory material that has been infused with a cooling gel. This cover implements Thermic Phase Change Cooling, a distinctive design aimed at regulating surface temperature.
- The top layer is constructed with a 1.5-inch TitanChil Endurance Foam®. This design in the surface offers sleepers both cooling and contouring comfort.
- The following layer, a 1.5 inch Energex foam with infused copper. This metal aids in cooling the sleeper by drawing heat to the outside of the bed; distanced from the sleeper’s body.
- The middle layer, a 1-inch support foam called SmartFlow makes up this portion. This helps transition the body from the comfort layers to the coils.
- The fourth layer is an 8-inch Quantum® Edge pocket coil system that supports the sleeper and helps foster better spinal alignment.
- The base layer uses a dense foam that both protects and supports the layers above.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Both of these beds offer different firmnesses. Layla can be flipped to adjust this and the hybrid can be ordered in either a Plush, Medium, or Luxury Firm. For the purpose of this comparison, we will only be looking at the Medium-Soft of the all-foam and the Medium of the hybrid.
We rate firmness on a scale from 1 to 10 with a ten being the firmest. Layla’s Medium-Soft firmness rates at a 4 while the Alexander scores between a 5 and 6.
Folks who sleep exclusively on their stomachs or backs often enjoy a firmer bed because it can offer enhanced support for their shoulders and hips. Both of these options should work, and for people that like a particularly firm mattress the Luxury Firm Alexander or the Firm side of the Layla should accommodate this preference.
Side sleepers love pressure relief in their hips and shoulders, both of these beds are highly conforming and use copper to help enhance their materials. Side sleepers looking for further pressure relief can check out the Soft model of the Alexander but since Layla is an all foam option, this could work very nicely as well.
When talking about response, Alexander comes out on top. The use of springs should make for an all-around more responsive bed.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Both of these beds experience sinkage and bounce quite differently. Starting with Layla, sleepers get a deep hug from this bed when set to the Medium-Soft firmness and more of a gentle cradle in the Firm. The memory materials contour to the curves, but you should find that Medium-Soft does this a bit better.
As far a bounce goes, there is practically none. In the softer firmness sleepers should not feel stuck but may have a harder time repositioning than they would if they had flipped the bed to the Firm side which makes for a more durable surface to push around on.
While looking at the Alexander, bounce is more accessible because of the springs. This makes repositioning a breeze.
Alexander’s sinkage should be pretty similar to Layla. It too fosters a deep hug, but as was mentioned, this deep hug may be slightly easier to move around in because of the spring design. Remember sinkage and bounce may vary depending on which Firmness of Alexander you order.
Comparing Motion Transfer
A bed that contains motion is a great choice for couples because it helps lighten the movements a sleeping partner makes by dampening the motion as it ripples across the bed’s surface. Typically foams do really well in this category and that is where Layla has a slight edge over the Alexander Hybrid.
Though, just because Layla’s design helps it win this battle does not put Alexander out of the race. Although a little bouncy, this bed does a quality job at trapping motion, especially when considering its hybrid-coil design with individually pocketed springs.
Comparing Edge Support
Folks who share a bed know what it can be like to sleep on the edge. This is where a bed with great perimeter support goes a long way. While Layla may have won with motion transfer, the Hybrid with its Quantum® Edge pocket coil system takes the cake for edge support.
For those leaning towards Layla, you may be happy to know that although this bed does not implement any type of edge reinforcement, for a foam product, it scores high compared with other brands that have a similar construction.
Layla vs. Alexander Signature Hybrid Compared Side-by-Side
|Features||Layla||Alexander Signature Hybrid|
|Cover||Polyester blended with viscose, lycra, and ThermoGel®||Cotton and polyester blended Thermic Phase Change fabric quilted to gel-infused memory foam|
|Materials||Copper-infused memory foam, high-density polyfoam, convoluted support foam||TitanChil Endurance Foam®, Copper Infused Energex Foam, SmartFlow Support Foam, Quantum® Edge Pocketed Support Coils|
|Cooling||Copper wicks away memory foam heat, and the convoluted layer promotes airflow.||Thermic Phase Change Cooling fabric, gel in foam, copper infused Energex foam, pocket coils support air flow|
|Firmness||4 or 7/10||5-6/10|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Deep Hug|
|Trial Period||120 nights||100 nights|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to U.S. and Canada||Ships worldwide, free shipping within the contiguous U.S. Arrange with the manufacturer for White Glove delivery|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Layla Price (w/o discount)||Alexander Signature Hybrid Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Layla or the Alexander Signature Hybrid?
Hard choice, right? Here are some key takeaways to help you make an informed decision.
We Would Recommend Buying Layla if You are Looking for:
- All foam. If you are a memory lover who enjoys its pressure relieving feel, this product should suit your deep hugging contour needs.
- Dual-sided firmness. This mattress offers both a Medium-Soft and Firm side. Just flip it over to your likeness and plop on in for a great night’s rest.
- Cool sleeping memory foam. Memory materials, especially in their early stages, were known for trapping heat against the sleeper's body. This company has taken some serious measures to make sure their customers can sleep on a cool mattress.
We Would Recommend Buying the Alexander Signature if You are Looking for:
- A quality hybrid. This product delivers a mixture of foams and coils aimed at fulfilling both your support and comfort needs.
- Exceptional edge support. This patented edge-to-edge coil system is top of the line and equips this bed with supportive sides.
- Luxury cooling. Both these products deserve a shout out for taking exceptional strides to develop a cool sleeping mattress. Hot sleepers may love both the feel and temperature of Alexander due to its enhanced cooling capabilities.
What this choice comes down to, is do you prefer the pressure relief of an all foam Layla or the coil support that comes with the Hybrid? Both have cooling and comfort capabilities, so which do you choose?
Let us know your thoughts in the comments below! And remember to check out the in-depth articles on either of these beds if you still have questions.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.