Our Layla vs. WinkBed mattress comparison for 2022 looks at two very different beds that have the same goal in mind; a better night’s rest.
Layla’s fresh new design features a black and white cover with flippable memory foam firmness available, while WinkBeds produces a luxury coil and foam hybrid at a price that they claim is two-thirds cheaper than in-store retailers.
So, you need a bed, but which will it be? If you find this article helpful and want even more details, be sure to check out the complete reviews for these products.
Quick Comparison: Layla vs. Winkbed
SLEEPADVISOR or click the button below
- Double-sided firmness
- Copper-infused memory foam
- 120-nights trial period
SLEEPADVISOR300 or click the button below
- Well distributed support
- Reduces heat retention
- Good for heavier individuals
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Layla comes tightly roll packaged inside a box and shipped to your doorstep. The cover is a combined fabric of viscose, Lycra, and polyester. Stitched into this covering is the company’s proprietary ThermoGel®, a technology designed to promote a cooler night’s sleep.
Because this mattress is compressed it may take time to expand on your bed frame, when it is done it should be about 10 inches tall. The following construction is how the bed is layered in the Soft firmness. For the Firm option, simply reverse the order.
- The surface layer, this 3-inch memory material is infused with copper for cooling comfort. In addition, copper cells within the become firm under pressure. This allows the heavier areas of the sleeper’s body to receive added support and pressure relief.
- The following layer uses 2 inches of convoluted support foam that has been molded in an egg crate style. This layer supports airflow and adds supplemental comfort.
- The third layer, this 4-inch base support foam serves as the foundation.
- The bottom, this is the same memory foam with the copper infusion that is found on the surface but this layer fosters a much firmer experience and is only 1-inch thick.
This hybrid uses foam and coils to achieve sleeper support and comfort. It is rolled and compressed for convenient shipping.
The smooth and cool cover is made from Tencel, a sustainable textile that comes from Eucalyptus trees. The Luxury Firm model of this stands at 13.5 inches. This comparison details the Luxury Firm option and will point out the differences of varying models where applicable.
- The top layer is furnished with a medium-firm EuroTop that includes 2 inches of Hypersoft gel foam.
- The second layer is 2.5 inches of SupportCell foam for added pressure relief.
- The innerspring layer is a system of 8-inch pocketed coils. This feature has 5 comfort zones that are designed to compress or provide additional stability dependent on the sleeper’s position and weight.
- The base layer is comprised of 1 inch of polyfoam designed to soften movements and stabilize the bed.
The brand also sells a Plus model of this bed to enhance support for folks with heavier weight considerations.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
At Sleep Advisor we rate mattress firmness on a 10 point scale, with a 1 being the softest score.
The Layla because of its dual firmness scores a 4 on the Soft end and a 7 on the Firm side. The memory materials give this mattress a slower response, allowing sleepers to slowly sink into a pressure relieving cradle that contours their curves.
Copper-infused materials allow this memory bed to foster a bit more support than competing options. The copper stiffens up under pressure to better provide stability for the sleeper, but overall, the materials are slower to respond.
When it comes to sleeping on the Layla, body types will react differently depending on their position. Many side sleepers may prefer the Soft side as it should generate more pressure relief. The Firm side might better suit the majority of stomach sleepers, as the increased support is designed to better support their hips.
If you are a back or combination sleeper, either side should work for your body type, but the overall feel would come down to your own personal preferences.
WinkBed has varying scores on our scale depending on the model. Luxury Firm rates at a 6.5, while the Soft and Firm scores 4.5 and 7.5 respectively.
For folks who enjoy a bit more pressure relief than the average person, you may want to consider the Soft. This may include side sleepers and some back sleepers. Those folk wanting a little extra support, like many stomach sleepers, might want to look into the Firm.
Overall, the Luxury Firm option is designed to work for the majority of people as this feel is towards the middle of our scale.
Whichever model customers choose from WinkBeds, they can expect the coils to provide plenty of bounce and support, enhanced by the 5 zones that target your anatomy’s weight and support needs. This layer also works with the foams to foster pressure relief and specialized contouring to the body’s curves.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
WinkBed is made to gently cradle sleepers, though customers can expect either more or less of this sinkage in Soft or Firm options. Layla also varies, as the Soft side fosters more of a slow sinking deep hug, while the Firm side provides more of a gentle cradle.
With Layla, sleepers can expect little to no bounce as it is an all foam construction. WinkBed, on the other hand, sports a good deal of bounce, which would be ideal for repositioning sleepers. Those who struggle with movement might prefer the WinkBed’s bouncier construction.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Having a loved one hop into bed and wake you from your pleasant dreams can get a bit annoying – especially for light sleepers. Layla’s memory materials help stop nearly all movements. That is why it wins this category.
But WinkBed is also impressive with it’s coil design. Considering how bouncy this bed is, one might think it has a ton of motion transfer, but the well-designed foams and pocket coils actually help anchor a lot of that bounce to one side of the bed.
Comparing Edge Support
If you share a bed, you may find sleep being interrupted in the night as you get pushed to the edge. Strong edges can make all of the difference at keeping you sleeping soundly and safely in these situations.
While Layla pulls ahead in motion transfer, the sturdy edge-to-edge coil design of WinkBed helps this brand come out on top.
Layla vs. WinkBed Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Polyester blended with viscose, lycra, and ThermoGel®||Tencel fabric|
|Materials||Copper-infused memory foam, high-density poly foam, convoluted support foam||Gel-Infused Hypersoft Foam, SupportCell Foam, Pocket Coils, Polyfoam|
|Cooling||Copper wicks away memory foam heat, and the convoluted layer promotes airflow.||Tencel, cooling gels, individually pocketed coils|
|Firmness||4 or 7/10||6.5/10|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug||Gentle Cradle|
|Bounce||Minimal||Minimal, Moderate Deep Level Bounce|
|Trial Period||120 nights||120 nights|
OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 Class 1
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Ships to U.S. and Canada||Free within the continental United States|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Layla Price (w/o discount)||WinkBed Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Layla or WinkBed?
There is a lot of information to digest. Here are some key points to make it easier for you to find your next perfect bed.
We Would Recommend Buying Layla if You are Looking for:
- Dual-sided firmness. One side features Soft, the other is Firm. Simply flip the bed over to make your selection.
- Memory foam. Memory foam offers customers a handful of unique features, including, motion isolation, slow response times, and a deep hug feeling that helps relieve pressure.
- Exceptional value. Sleepers essentially get two beds for the price of one with the Soft and the Firm side. As an added value, Layla comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
We Would Recommend Buying WinkBed if You are Looking for:
- Affordable luxury. WinkBed outperforms other comparable in-store brands. You should sleep easy knowing you potentially saved thousands on your new mattress.
- Bounce. With the bounce from the coils, it may be hard to keep the kids from jumping on the bed but it can help with repositioning and could be a great way to spice up your sex life.
- Added support. The coils are not only good for bounce but also provide enhanced support thanks to the 5-zone design.
On one side of the argument, you have Layla with comfortable memory foam and flippable firmness. While the competitor presents WinkBed, a mattress with multiple firmness options and a traditional, yet luxurious feel.
So, has one of these beds got you hooked? Or maybe you still need some time? Either way, be sure to check out our in-depth write-ups of both of these products to get the full details.