In Loom & Leaf vs. Novosbed, we are taking a look at two of the original mattress companies to sell online to save their customers some cash. Although they are similar at first glance, you may find that these memory foam competitors take different approaches with their brands.
Will the bed with flashy features and cooling gel be the winner? Or perhaps the mattress that gives its customers nine different comfort options? Read on to find out, or check out our individual reviews for a more detailed analysis.
Quick Comparison: Loom and Leaf vs. Novosbed
- Gently-cradled feeling
- Luxury bed at an affordable price
- Reduces heat retention
- Classic memory foam feel
- Affordable luxury
- Medium level firmness
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
Loom & Leaf Construction
Unlike its competitor, this company does not deliver its memory mattress compressed and offers free professional delivery to its customers. This bed comes in two firmness choices: Relaxed Firm (the one that this review covers) and Firm.
All the materials used to construct this product are from sustainable American producers, including its plush organic quilted cotton cover with a thin layer of foam, making the top feel luxurious. In total, L&L is 12 inches in height.
- The top layer uses a cooling Spinal Zone Gel-infused foam in the lumbar area to prevent overheating and uses a 2-inch convoluted egg crate design to promote maximum airflow and comfort.
- The second layer is made of 5lb premium foam that is eco-friendly and contours around the body to provide pressure relief. It is 2.5 inches tall.
- The third layer, a Transition Loft Pad, is 2 inches thick of foam that is denser than the top layers but not quite as firm as the bottom.
- The base layer supports the bed in its 5.5-inch polyfoam composition.
Delivered to your door rolled up in a box, this memory bed is available in Soft, Medium, and Firm comfort options. (This comparison will take a good look at the Medium model, which should be a good fit for the large majority of sleepers.) On top of the three firmness options, Novosbed provides a free Comfort+ kit—a layer you can add to the mattress—on request if the bed feels too firm or soft.
Coming in at 11 inches, this bed has two covers, an outer layer and an inner one. The outer is a stretch-knit Tencel on top that is removable for machine washing, and the sides of the mattress are covered in a high-quality furniture-grade fabric. The inner cover is an Interlock Blue™ Core that keeps the three layers of foam protected when washing the removable cover.
- The top layer, a high-density breathable foam that promotes airflow, makes up the first 2 inches of the bed.
- The next layer is also a high-density transition foam. It is 2 inches and lies between the softer top layer and more supportive last layer.
- The last layer gives that durable, structural support a bed needs. The 7-inch Premium Support Foam helps maintain spine alignment.
- The other firmness options will have slight differences in their make-up.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
When it comes to firmness, both mattresses score at a 6 out of 10 on our scale, where 1 is super soft and 10 is crazy firm. This puts them in our medium range, great for a majority of sleeping positions, weights, and preferences. That being said, they do feel a little different when laying on them.
L&L has a really quick response, especially for memory materials, throughout most of the surface of the mattress and slightly slower in that gel-infused lumbar area. Back and side sleepers will feel well supported and comfortable.
Novosbed takes a little longer to decompress with a slower response, feeling more like a classic memory bed. Side and back sleepers should feel some good pressure relief and contouring.
Significantly heavier individuals or those who mainly sleep on their stomachs may want to look more closely at the L&L Firm and the Novosbed Firm for added support.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Both brands have minimal bounce and offer a gentle cradling sensation due to the soft memory layers. This provides that comfortable contouring that relieves pressure without feeling as if you are sinking into bed—you should feel more on top of the bed than in it. As mentioned previously, Novosbed should form to the body a bit more than L&L.
As far as repositioning throughout the night goes, the average sleeper should not struggle on either bed. Loom & Leaf should give a little less sinkage than Novosbed, so moving around may be slightly easier.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Memory materials are the MVPs of motion transfer; the absorbent foams isolate that movement from a restless partner or your pet that keeps getting up because they just can not seem to find that perfect spot to settle into. Both brands score extremely well here, so no worries regarding this category!
Comparing Edge Support
Do you ever sit on the end of the bed to get your shoes on in the morning? Maybe you like to play video games in your room and find yourself scooching more and more towards the television until you are perched at the edge of your mattress. Or perhaps you share the bed with a partner who tends not to share very well.
If any of these situations sound like yours, edge support may be important. Although Novosbed scores better than most boxed bed competitors, L&L wins out in this category because the company does not compress or roll their mattresses. They can use materials that are more resilient due to their delivery method.
Loom & Leaf vs. Novosbed Compared Side-by-Side
|Features||Loom & Leaf||Novosbed|
Quilted organic cotton fabric and foam
|Polyester blend with Tencel|
Spinal Gel foam, memory and polyfoams
|High-Density Airflow Memory Foam, Premium Support Foam|
|Cooling||Gel-infused foam, convoluted construction, breathable cotton cover||Breathable Airflow foam|
|Firmness||6/10 or 7.5/10||6/10|
|Sinkage||Gentle cradling||Gentle Cradling|
|Warranty||15 years||15 years|
|Trial Period||120 nights||120 nights|
|Certifications||CertiPUR-US®, Organic Cotton||CertiPUR-US®|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free White Glove Delivery to continental US and some regions in Western Canada||Delivers to US and Canada; White Glove Delivery available in select locations|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Loom & Leaf Price (w/o discount)||Novosbed Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Loom & Leaf or Novosbed?
So we have compared the beds in each category, and they obviously both have some pretty great features. Which one will work best for you? Let’s look at each brand’s highlights.
We Would Recommend Buying L&L if You are Looking for:
- Some fancy features. Its organic, plush cotton top, Spinal Gel foam, and egg-crate layer are just a few of the things that make this brand stand out.
- Cooler sleep. L&L takes cooling seriously with its gel-infused and convoluted layers, as well as the cotton cover. The gentle cradle keeps you on the surface of the mattress, contributing to airflow.
- A bed with no off-gassing. Because it is not rolled up and compressed for delivery, there is no off-gassing or unpleasant odors that occur in many bed-in-a-box competitors.
We Would Recommend Buying Novosbed if You are Looking for:
- More levels of firmness. This brand offers three different firmness options and two optional (and free) Comfort+ kits for a total of nine firmness levels to choose from.
- A removable cover. A zip-off, washable cover gives some peace of mind when those inevitable spills happen. The Interlock Blue™ Core inner shell keeps the memory foam safe when the cover is removed, too.
- A more classic memory feel. Some extra contouring and sinkage assure this bed will fill all those nooks and crannies for added pressure relief.
When it comes to memory foam mattresses, it can get a little more complicated than what initially meets the eye. Both of these beds are great choices, whether you want some extra cooling from L&L or a more personalized firmness experience from Novosbed.
If you would like to read up some more before making that final decision, glance over our in-depth reviews, where we take a thorough look at both beds individually. Or take some time to browse through our list of top rated beds for this year.