Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
The time has come to choose your next hybrid mattress. But fear not, our Avocado and WinkBed comparison will guide you through your journey.
We will break down the similarities and differences between the Avocado mattress, created by people looking for a natural mattress made of natural materials, and the WinkBed, which is locally manufactured in Wisconsin after you order it.
Quick Comparison: Avocado vs. WinkBed
- Eco-friendly bed
- Traditional innerspring feel
- Affordable price
- Well distributed support
- Reduces heat retention
- Good for heavier individuals
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This latex and steel coil hybrid is compressed and shipped inside of a box.
The organic cotton cover contains a layer of wool to provide natural temperature regulation. This mattress is 11 inches in height.
- The top layer holds a 2-inch Dunlop Latex designed to promote airflow and pressure relief.
- The second layer offers zoned comfort using varying gauges in these 8-inch Steel Coils. This promises enhanced pressure relief for the shoulders, with extra support given to the hips. The company helps to reduce waste by using upcycled steel to create these springs.
- The bottom layer uses a 1-inch Dunlop Latex that is slightly firmer than comfort material to create a stable base for the entire mattress.
- The perimeter promises a consistent feel from edge-to-edge thanks to the reinforced coils placed around the outside of the mattress.
This foam and steel coil hybrid is compressed and boxed for easy shipping.
The cover boasts temperature-regulating Tencel and a breathable stretch-knit fiber blend. A two-layered, 2-inch thick pillow top made of Hypersoft Comfort Foam and Stabilizing Gel Foam quilted into the cover. The Soft model features a three-layered, 3-inch pillow top to create a softer comfort feel.
The Luxury Firm and Firm models are 14.5 inches tall. The Soft option is 15.5 inches in height due to the extra inch in the topper.
- The initial layer boasts Pocketed Micro Air-Springs™ that are 2.4 inches tall. These coils are designed to promote airflow and to compress under the weight of the sleeper to promote pressure relief.
- The second layer contains a Lumbar Support Pad made of pre-compressed cotton. This .75-inch layer promotes good spinal alignment and even weight distribution while acting as a transition between the comfort and support layers.
- The third layer utilizes Tempered Steel Coils to promote bounce and airflow. These 8-inch springs provide support and promote motion control through their pocketed design.
- The final layer uses 2 inches of foam to help absorb some movement from the above coils and to act as a foundation for the rest of the bed.
- The perimeter contains 4.5 inches of reinforced foam to maximize the usable sleep surface by enhancing edge support.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our comfort scale assigns scores to products to indicate where they fall between 1 and 10. This system uses 1 to mark the softest feel, something sort of like sleeping in a cloud. On the other hand, a 10 would feel very firm, like sleeping on a pile of bricks.
Avocado is scored at a 7, which might feel medium-firm or firm to most shoppers. The zoned coils promise a comfortable experience for any position preference by offering support or pressure relief where they need it most.
WinkBed’s Luxury Firm option has been given a ranking of 6.5, very similar to that of the Avocado. The company rates their softer model a 4.5, which should feel medium or medium-soft, their firmer option is scored 7.5. The Stabilizing Gel layer is designed to distribute weight evenly, promoting pressure relief and proper spinal alignment.
The latex comfort layer in the Avocado mattress is meant to act as a transition between the sleeper and the supportive springs below. WinkBed features two coil systems, the upper is designed to compress under the shopper’s weight, allowing for a slight contouring effect. While the lower springs are meant to stand firm for added support.
Both brands feature materials that reclaim their original shape quickly and easily, to reduce body impressions. This promotes easy repositioning for combination sleepers.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Shoppers can enjoy lots of airflow by sleeping closer to the top of each mattress, resting in a gentle cradle. Avocado offers ample bounce that helps to push sleepers back to the top of the bed, preventing them from feeling “stuck” in the bed. WinkBed’s upper materials dampen the bounce a little, but the coil-on-coil system provides a deep level of bounce that aids mobility.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Those with restless partners often require enhanced motion control to isolate movement and vibration. Most people should feel comfortable on either mattress, though sensitive (light) sleepers might enjoy the Avocado bed as the WinkBed’s dual-coil system might allow more motion to move through the bed.
Comparing Edge Support
Feel free to sprawl, lounge, or roll right up to the edge of either of these two beds. Reinforced coils in the Avocado and firm foam in the WinkBed offer a consistent feel across the entire surface of either mattress.
Avocado vs. WinkBed Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Wool and organic cotton||Tencel and stretch-knit fabric|
|Materials||Steel coils and Dunlop latex||Gel-Infused Hypersoft Foam, Premium Gel Foam, Micro Air-Spring Coils, LumbarLayer, Individually Wrapped Pocket Coils, Support Foam|
|Cooling||Individually pocketed coils and wool||Tencel, cooling gels, individually pocketed coils, dual coil systems|
|Firmness||7/10||4.5, 6.5, 7.5|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradle||Gentle Cradle|
|Bounce||Moderate||Minimal upper bounce, Moderate deep level bounce|
|Trial Period||365 nights||120 nights|
|Certifications||GREENGUARD Gold, GOTS, OEKO-TEX®, and eco-INSTITUT® certified||CertiPUR-US®|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free in the US, White Glove service is available and free to buyers of King-sized beds||Free within the continental United States, White Glove service is available|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Avocado Price (w/o discount)||WinkBed Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Avocado or WinkBed?
Still need a little more time before you decide on a hybrid? Check out our recommendations to see which sorts of sleepers should enjoy either mattress before making your decision.
We Would Recommend Buying Avocado if You are Looking for:
- Zoned Comfort. The coils offer varying levels of pushback and compression to promote good spinal alignment and even weight distribution.
- Enhanced pressure relief. The latex is aerated and designed to compress under the individual’s weight and position.
- Natural temperature regulation. Wool inside the cover is meant to reduce overheating by acting as natural temperature control. The springs help to promote airflow, which can draw heat away from the surface, allowing the shopper to stay cooler.
We Would Recommend Buying WinkBed if You are Looking for:
- Multiple comfort options. Shoppers can choose between Soft, Luxury Firm, or Firm models to ensure their optimal comfort level.
- Extra lumbar support. Memory foam in the lumbar region offers extra support to the lower back to ensure proper alignment.
- Enhanced cooling properties. Pocketed coils, gels inside the foam, and Tencel in the cover promote a cool sleep experience.
There you have it, if you simply want a nice blend of pressure relief and support, either mattress will be a great fit. Opt for Avocado if you want natural temperature control and zoned coils. Order the WinkBed if you would like to choose your comfort level and are a fan of cooling technology and lumbar support.
Remember to read through our individual in-depth review to learn more about each bed. Or if you want to browse more, we made a list of top 12 beds for 2019 and you can see it here.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.