The time has come to choose your next hybrid mattress. But fear not, our Avocado and WinkBed comparison will guide you through your journey.
We will break down the similarities and differences between the Avocado mattress, created by people looking for a natural mattress made of natural materials, and the WinkBed, which is locally manufactured in Wisconsin or Orlando after you order it.
Quick Comparison: Avocado vs. WinkBed
- Eco-friendly bed
- Traditional innerspring feel
- Affordable price
- Well distributed support
- Reduces heat retention
- Good for heavier individuals
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This GOLS certified latex and steel coil hybrid is compressed and shipped inside of a box.
The organic cotton cover contains a layer of wool to provide natural temperature regulation. This mattress is 11 inches in height.
- The top layer holds a 2-inch Dunlop Latex designed to promote airflow and pressure relief.
- The second layer offers zoned comfort using varying gauges in these 8-inch Steel Coils. This promises enhanced pressure relief for the shoulders, with extra support given to the hips. The company helps to reduce waste by using upcycled steel to create these springs.
- The bottom layer uses a 1-inch Dunlop Latex that is slightly firmer than comfort material to create a stable base for the entire mattress.
- The perimeter promises a consistent feel from edge-to-edge thanks to the reinforced coils placed around the outside of the mattress.
This foam and steel coil hybrid is compressed and boxed for easy shipping.
The cover boasts temperature-regulating Tencel fabric. A 2-inch thick EuroTop made of Hypersoft gel foam is quilted into the cover.
The Luxury Firm is 13.5 inches tall, and you should expect some slight variation in height among the different firmness choices. This guide highlights the Luxury Firm construction specifically.
- The initial layer boasts 2 inches of plush gel-infused foam that offers a gentle cradle as you lie on the bed.
- The second layer contains 2.5 inches of SupportCell foam for added pressure relief.
- The innerspring layer utilizes tempered steel coils to promote bounce and airflow. These 8-inch springs provide support and promote motion control through their pocketed design.
- The base layer uses 1 inch of polyfoam to help absorb some movement from the above coils and to act as a foundation for the rest of the bed.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Our comfort scale assigns scores to products to indicate where they fall between 1 and 10. This system uses 1 to mark the softest feel, something sort of like sleeping in a cloud. On the other hand, a 10 would feel very firm, like sleeping on a pile of bricks.
Avocado is scored at a 7, which might feel medium-firm or firm to most shoppers. The zoned coils promise a comfortable experience for any position preference by offering support or pressure relief where they need it most.
WinkBed’s Luxury Firm option has been given a ranking of 6.5, very similar to that of the Avocado. The company rates their softer model a 4.5, which should feel medium or medium-soft, their firmer option is scored 7.5. The 5-zone support among the coils should distribute weight evenly, promoting pressure relief and proper spinal alignment.
The latex comfort layer in the Avocado mattress is meant to act as a transition between the sleeper and the supportive springs below. WinkBed recently modified their design. They replaced the upper micro-coil unit with the SupportCell foam. This comfort layer should help you ease into the sturdy, supportive coils below.
Both brands feature materials that reclaim their original shape quickly and easily, to reduce body impressions. This promotes easy repositioning for combination sleepers.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Shoppers can enjoy lots of airflow by sleeping closer to the top of each mattress, resting in a gentle cradle. Avocado offers ample bounce that helps to push sleepers back to the top of the bed, preventing them from feeling “stuck” in the bed. WinkBed’s upper materials dampen the bounce a little, but the coil system provides a deep level of bounce that aids mobility.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Those with restless partners often require enhanced motion control to isolate movement and vibration. Most people should feel comfortable on either mattress, especially now that the WinkBed has replaced the extra coil unit with foam, which should help control additional movement.
Comparing Edge Support
Feel free to sprawl, lounge, or roll right up to the edge of either of these two beds. Reinforced coils in the Avocado and WinkBed offer a consistent feel across the entire surface of either mattress.
Avocado vs. WinkBed Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Wool and organic cotton||Tencel|
|Materials||Steel coils and Dunlop latex||Gel-Infused Hypersoft Foam, SupportCell Foam, Pocket Coils, Polyfoam|
|Cooling||Individually pocketed coils and wool||Tencel, cooling gels, individually pocketed coils|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradle||Gentle Cradle|
|Bounce||Moderate||Minimal upper bounce, Moderate deep level bounce|
|Trial Period||365 nights||120 nights|
|Certifications||GREENGUARD Gold, GOTS, OEKO-TEX®, and eco-INSTITUT® certified, GOLS, Made Safe||CertiPUR-US®
OEKO-TEX® Standard 100 Class 1
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free in the US, In-Home Delivery service is available for additional fee||Free within the continental United States|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Avocado Price (w/o discount)||WinkBed Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Avocado or WinkBed?
Still need a little more time before you decide on a hybrid? Check out our recommendations to see which sorts of sleepers should enjoy either mattress before making your decision.
We Would Recommend Buying Avocado if You are Looking for:
- Zoned Comfort. The coils offer varying levels of pushback and compression to promote good spinal alignment and even weight distribution.
- Enhanced pressure relief. The latex is aerated and designed to compress under the individual’s weight and position.
- Natural temperature regulation. Wool inside the cover is meant to reduce overheating by acting as natural temperature control. The springs help to promote airflow, which can draw heat away from the surface, allowing the shopper to stay cooler.
We Would Recommend Buying WinkBed if You are Looking for:
- Multiple comfort options. Shoppers can choose between Soft, Luxury Firm, Firm, or Plus models to ensure their optimal comfort level.
- Extra back support. The multiple support zones in the coil unit should support your back in the places where it needs it the most, including the lumbar region.
- Enhanced cooling properties. Pocketed coils, gels inside the foam, and Tencel in the cover promote a cool sleep experience.
There you have it, if you simply want a nice blend of pressure relief and support, either mattress will be a great fit. Opt for Avocado if you want natural temperature control and zoned coils. Order the WinkBed if you would like to choose your comfort level and are a fan of cooling technology and lumbar support.
Remember to read through our individual in-depth review to learn more about each bed. Or if you want to browse more, we made a list of top 12 beds for 2023 and you can see it here.