Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Get ready to find your dream hybrid with our Avocado vs. Bloom Hybrid comparison guide!
Two great beds from two great companies compete for your attention in this comparison review. Will you prefer the Avocado mattress created by sleepers who took their mattress material quality into their hands? Or Brooklyn Bedding’s hybrid designed by a family-owned company that takes health into consideration when building their products?
Quick Comparison: Avocado and Bloom Hybrid
- Eco-friendly bed
- Traditional innerspring feel
- Affordable price
SLEEPADVISOR20 or click the button below
- Looking for a hybrid
- Sleep cooler
- Natural materials
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
When this latex and coil hybrid is shipped, it is compressed and placed inside a convenient box.
This 11-inch bed boasts an organic cotton cover features New Zealand wool that is meant to naturally regulate temperature and act as a fire barrier.
- The top layer is a 2-inch Dunlop latex designed to promote airflow and provide pressure relief while helping to separate the sleeper from the support coils below.
- The second layer contains 8-inch Steel Coils that have been upcycled to reduce waste. There are 3 comfort zones provided in this layer that are meant to provide varying levels of support or compression.
- The bottom layer creates the bed’s foundation using 1-inch Dunlop latex.
- The perimeter promises enhanced edge support via reinforced coils around the outer edge of this mattress.
Bloom Hybrid Construction
This product is a hybrid combining latex, foam, and coils. It is compressed for easy box shipping.
The cotton cover utilizes JOMA Wool™ as a natural fire barrier and temperature regulator. This mattress is 12.5 inches tall.
- The initial layer holds a 3-inch Talalay latex that has been aerated to promote airflow and bounce. This material is also meant to provide pressure relief to the sleeper.
- The second layer consists of 8-inch Quantum Edge Coils featuring an individually pocketed design. This design is meant to promote airflow and allow the coils to react independently to the sleeper’s weight and movements. This should allow the coils to pushback and compress as-needed for the right support suiting the shopper’s position.
- The final layer is a 1-inch Polyfoam that provides stability to the upper layers.
- The perimeter boasts reinforced coils designed to promote firmer edge support.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
In order to give you a better idea of how each bed should feel to most people, we have assigned a score to both brands that indicates where they each fall on our comfort scale. This 1-10 system promises a softer feel at the lower end, with 1 being softest. The higher numbers would be firmer, with 10 being the firmest feel.
Avocado is ranked at a 7, which might feel medium-firm or firm to most shoppers. This may be better suiting for stomach and back sleepers who prefer a firmer comfort level as this should prevent the hips from sinking, promoting proper spinal alignment. The company offers an additional pillow top that can be added to create a softer feel with extra pressure relief.
The Bloom Hybrid’s softest option is ranked at a medium 5. Their mid-range model is scored at a medium-firm 6.5 and their firmest option holds a score of 8.5.
Avocado is designed to provide just the right amount of pressure relief or support where you need it most through zoned comfort materials. The springs inside the Bloom bed are designed to compress individually under the sleeper’s weight, which should help to keep the spine properly aligned.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Lying on the Avocado mattress, shoppers will float on the surface of this bed, being held aloft in a gentle cradle that allows air to easily reach the body, which should reduce overheating. The latex in the Bloom, especially the softer models, offers a bit more sinkage, allowing sleepers to nestle into a deeper cradle that hugs their curves, providing enhanced lumbar support to the lower back.
Being hybrids with coil systems, both products are quite bouncy. The bounce and the quick response from the materials ought to combine to ensure repositioning is simple and easy on these items.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Because of the springs inside these products, shoppers may experience quite a bit of motion transfer. In general, most people should have no trouble sleeping on these beds, with perhaps only the most sensitive of sleepers experiencing disruptions from feeling their partner’s movements.
Avocado seems to minimize motion transfer quite well as far as hybrids go, and might be the better option for shoppers who prioritize motion control.
Comparing Edge Support
The reinforced edges around both beds promise to prevent buyers from feeling as though they might roll off the bed when lying along the edge. Either mattress should be a good fit for couples or individuals who like to sprawl out and utilize their entire sleep surface. Because of the deeper level of sinkage noticed in the Bloom, buyers seeking an extra firm feeling edge might prefer the Avocado.
Avocado vs. Bloom Hybrid Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||New Zealand wool and organic cotton||Cotton and JOMA Wool™|
|Materials||Steel coils and Dunlop latex||Talalay latex, polyfoam, and individually pocketed coils|
|Cooling||Individually pocketed coils and wool||Wool and individually pocketed coils|
|Firmness||7/10||5/10, 6.5/10, 8.5/10|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradle||Deeper Cradle|
|Warranty||25 years||10 years|
|Trial Period||100 nights||120 nights|
|Certifications||OEKO-TEX®, eco-INSTITUT®, GREENGUARD Gold, and GOTS||OEKO-TEX®|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free to the United States, White Glove Delivery is available and free to those purchasing king-sized mattresses||Free in the contiguous United States with an additional fee for shipments to Hawaii, Alaska, and Canda|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Avocado Price (w/o discount)||Bloom Hybrid Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Avocado or Bloom Hybrid?
Below you will find recommendations for which sorts of shoppers either product is likely to perform best for. Check it and see where you stand!
We Would Recommend Buying Avocado if You are Looking for:
- Zoned support. The springs inside this item are split up into 3 comfort zones. This design is utilized to offer enhanced support or extra pressure relief to different areas of the body to ensure proper spinal alignment and a comfortable experience regardless of position.
- A gentle cradle. Not everyone wants to be “hugged” by their bed. Shoppers looking to stay closer to the surface of their mattress are likely to enjoy the gentle cradle provided by this model.
- A great co-sleeping experience. Couples will likely enjoy less motion transfer and solid edge support from the reinforced and individually pocketed coils.
We Would Recommend Buying Bloom if You are Looking for:
- Multiple comfort options. Buyers can choose between softer, firmer, or medium comfort options in order to find the right feel that matches their personal preference.
- A deeper cradle. The deeper cradle provided by this item conforms to the sleeper to ensure pressure relief and lumbar support.
- Prefer Talalay latex. The latex in this model is a little springier and softer than Dunlop latex, for those who prefer these qualities.
If you are simply seeking a comfortable hybrid with natural temperature control and lots of bounce, you will be well served by either brand. Opt for Avocado if zoned comfort and shareability are key priorities. Bloom will likely make a great choice for people seeking multiple comfort options and enhanced mobility.
Don’t forget to scroll back up and check out our review for each mattress for more detailed information.
Author: Jill Thompson
I've been self-employed for almost four years and I would not change it for anything! I believe that anyone can achieve their goals with the right attitude and determination.
I'm an avid traveler (25+ countries and counting) that loves to meet new people doing amazing things.
When I'm not researching for the Sleep Advisor, you can find me reading, running, traveling, golfing, or meditating.
I wish you the very best on your journey!