Can an eco-friendly mattress still offer comfort and support for a variety of sleepers?
That’s the idea behind the Eco Sleep Hybrid, a customizable mattress made with sustainable materials that are natural and organic. This unique bed combines two firmness levels into one handcrafted mattress, allowing you to experience an entirely new feel with one simple flip.
This hybrid model is manufactured in Phoenix, AZ by Brooklyn Bedding, one of the original and most popular bed-in-a-box brands. The company created this bed to be a sustainable sleep solution that offers peace of mind and a great night’s rest.
Our in-depth Eco Sleep Review will cover the features that make this hybrid model stand out, including comfort, quality, and support.
Keep reading for our full review or skip to the end for our scoring and final summary.
You will love EcoSleep if you:
- Want a green, eco-friendly bed – Made from natural materials, this sustainable sleep solution is designed for those looking for a healthier place to rest their heads. Eco-conscious individuals can have peace of mind that they are reducing their carbon footprint while sleeping on Rainforest Alliance certified latex.
- Like high levels of bounce – With layers of natural latex foam surrounding 6 inches of individually encased Ascension™ coils, the responsive surface should offer easy transitioning for sleepers as well as bedroom activities.
- Want firmness choices – Having two levels of firmness in one bed means that you can find the side that works best for you. If one side is too firm or too soft, simply flip the mattress over for an entirely new feel.
You might not like EcoSleep if you:
- Are a petite side sleeper – Both sides of this bed are in the medium-firm to firm range, so they may not perform as well when it comes to relieving pressure on hips and shoulders. Sleepers on the heavier side may not have this problem, but the surface may not be soft enough for petite. The company does offer a free high-quality foam mattress topper for those who want a softer sleeping surface without sacrificing support.
- Want exceptional motion isolation – While the individually encased coils are designed to minimize motion transfer, latex does transfer motion more than memory foam models. This could be a problem for bed sharers, but adding the foam mattress topper may be a good solution.
Or you can check our other top beds for 2021 here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
The EcoSleep hybrid latex bed is delivered to your door, compressed into a box. The company recommends using any foundation that provides minimal flex, including most platforms, slats, and box springs.
Each side is covered with a premium eco-friendly cover made of Joma wool™ and cotton. Joma wool™ has the unique ability to repel water liquid while absorbing water vapor, making it ideal for moisture-wicking while also delivering a 40-50% increase in volume without adding weight. Natural cotton is inherently soft, breathable, and hypo-allergenic.
Overall, there are four layers that stand 10.5” tall. Since there are two unique sides offering different levels of firmness, we will start with the medium layer which is the top layer when the writing on the mattress is facing up.
- The first layer under the cover consists of 1.5” of plush 100% natural latex foam that offers a highly responsive sleep surface with a high degree of bounce. This comfort layer should adjust to your body each time you move without the sinking feeling of memory foam.
- The second layer features a 1.5” total latex support layer, designed to promote proper spinal alignment while relieving pressure. Latex is known for its durability and resilience, so this foam should retain its shape for many years without breaking down like other types of foam.
- The third layer offers a 6” base featuring 952 individually encased Ascension™ coils. These recyclable coils are designed to deliver deep compression support and to help minimize motion transfer.
- The fourth layer is the firm side that can function as the top for those who prefer a firmer sleep surface. This layer is constructed with a single 1.5” layer of firmer latex, especially important to back and stomach sleepers.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
We score our mattresses on a (firmness) scale between 1 and 10, with 1 being the softest and 10 being the firmest. The EcoSleep features two levels of firmness depending on which side you choose, offering both a medium and a firm sleep experience.
Latex tends to be more firm than other materials, so even the medium side is slightly firmer than what other mediums may feel like. We rated the medium side as a 5.5/10 and the firm side as an 6.5/10, placing both in the medium-firm range.
The premium eco-friendly cover should feel soft to the touch thanks to the Joma wool™ and organic cotton. These moisture-wicking, breathable materials can expand up to 50%, adding plushness without adding weight. Latex foam sleeps cooler than memory foam, and the individually pocketed coils should help to pull and circulate airflow for temperature regulation.
Lying on the medium side of this mattress may feel like a gentle hug with just enough comfort from the latex foam to adapt to your shape while still sleeping close to the surface. Sleepers who find memory foam too hot often prefer sleeping up top which also helps to regulate temperature. Both sides offer a lot of responsiveness so you should never feel stuck when moving around or changing positions.
Most back sleepers will be comfortable on either side since they are both in the medium-firm range. The medium side may offer just slightly more contouring from the softer latex layer, conforming to the natural spinal curve spine while promoting spinal alignment.
Combination sleepers or those on the heavier side may be comfortable on the medium side thanks to the double layers of latex foam that should absorb some of their weight. Sleepers who find this mattress too firm can also opt for the complementary high-quality foam topper which may offer more pressure relief.
Many stomach sleepers prefer a firmer bed that keeps the hips even with the rest of the body, preventing arching of the spine and subsequent back pain. The firm mattress side is optimal for stomach sleepers, promoting spinal alignment with just enough softness to allow other parts of the body to feel comforted.
One of the best features of this mattress is the ability to customize the level of firmness to find what works best for you. If you find one side too firm, simply flip the bed over or opt for a topper for extra softness. According to the manufacturer, this mattress can support up to 800 lbs in the queen or king size, ideal for couples or those with heavier weight considerations.
Latex is a bouncier and responsive type of foam, so it doesn’t usually isolate motion as well as traditional memory foam would. Anyone sharing the bed with pets, children, or an active partner may feel some of the movement from their bedmates but it should be muffled for most light sleepers. This hybrid model also features individually encased coils which do help to minimize more motion than in an all-latex bed.
Edge support is important if you like to sit on the side of the bed or want to use the entire surface (like if you have three kids and a dog in bed with you most nights).
Both sides of this mattress are on the firmer side, so you should be able to comfortably spread out without worrying about rolling off the edges.
There is more compression with sitting on the side of the bed when your full weight is concentrated in one spot.
- Trial Period – This company offers a 120-night risk-free sleep trial so you can test this mattress out and receive a full refund if you decide it isn’t right for you.
- Warranty – EcoSleep comes with a 10-year warranty.
- Shipping – Shipping is free to any of 48 contiguous United States and is available in Hawaii, Alaska, and Canada for an additional cost.
- Rainforest Alliance Certified – The natural latex in this product is certified by a third party organization that regularly audits farms to see they are complying with sustainable agriculture standards.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Made in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 11”||$899|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$949|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$1,149|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,249|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,499|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,499|
|Split Cali King||36” x 84” x 11”||$949|
The EcoSleep Hybrid is an exceptional mattress option for those who want to reduce their carbon footprint coupled with the luxurious feel of natural and organic materials. Having the benefit of two firmness options to choose from makes this bed stand out from other sustainable sleep options.
The EcoSleep Hybrid is part of the Brooklyn Bedding family of products and is one of their newest luxury bed-in-a-box lines. They’ve natural and organic materials with the flexibility of two unique sleep surfaces, offering comfort and support to a wide range of sleepers.
This hybrid model features natural latex and individual coils to provide comfort, support, and pressure relief. The combination of high-quality materials with the durable construction sets this bed apart and should offer sleepers a great return on their investment for years to come.