Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
So you know you want to go for a more natural bed, but do you a choose all-foam or a hybrid?
This Zenhaven and Avocado comparison will look at two products with lots of bounce, zoned support, and temperature-regulating wool.
Will you prefer Zenhaven’s latex model with its dual-sided firmness settings owned by the popular online luxury company, Saatva? Or will Avocado’s hybrid, created by a company dedicated to natural and organic materials, win over your heart?
Keep reading our comparison guide to find out! Then head over to our individual in-depth reviews for a more comprehensive analysis of each product:
Quick Comparison: Zenhaven and Avocado
- Reduces heat retention
- Dual firmness
- Hypoallergenic bed
- Eco-friendly bed
- Traditional innerspring feel
- Affordable price
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
This is a latex mattress that is shipped to your door without being compressed so you can enjoy it immediately.
The cover of this 10-inch bed features Organic cotton and an inch of organic wool to promote temperature regulation.
This product is dual-sided and offers Gentle Firm or Luxury Plush feels. We will discuss the construction as though the Gentle Firm version is being used, as this may be the most versatile among sleepers.
- The top layer boasts a 1.5-inch Gentle Firm Latex that should provide more pushback when used in this setting as opposed to the Luxury Plush Comfort Zone which would become the base of the bed when used in this manner.
- The second layer consists of 3 more inches of Talalay Latex that should feel firmer than the third level. This provides deeper support, but can be flipped to offer a softer overall feel.
- The third layer contains a 3-inch Talalay Latex that should offer soft pressure relief from deep within the bed. Flipping the mattress allows this layer to create the Luxury Plush comfort setting.
- The base layer holds a 1.5-inch 5-Zone Talalay Latex Comfort Layer. When used as the top layer, the zones should allow for more compression or enhanced pushback where the body needs it most.
This is a hybrid mattress containing steel coils and latex. It is compressed and placed into a box for convenient shipping.
The bed is 11 inches tall and features an organic cotton cover that holds organic Joma Wool®. A button tufted design utilizes wool rosettes is utilized to reduce the need for adhesives.
A Euro pillow top can be added to the purchase, adding an extra 2 inches of latex to the mattress.
- The first layer holds a 2-inch thick Dunlop latex. This material is aerated to promote airflow and cooling.
- The second layer consists of Steel Coils that have been upcycled to reduce waste. These coils are 8 inches in height and feature 3 zones to provide support or pressure relief as-needed in the shoulder, hip, and knee areas.
- The bottom layer is comprised of a 1-inch Dunlop latex that is slightly firmer than the above layer to create a stable foundation.
- The perimeter boasts reinforced coils to promote a consistent feel from edge-to-edge.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
Zenhaven is able to be flipped, providing a softer or firmer feel depending on which side of the bed is face-up. The Luxury Plush side has a medium to medium-soft score of 4.5 and the Gentle Firm model is ranked at a medium-firm 7. Avocado is available in one comfort level, a medium-firm 7.
Learn more about comfort levels and our firmness scale here.
This should allow stomach or back sleepers who require firmer support to keep their spines straight are free to choose between either mattress. Side or back sleepers who want a softer feel with more pressure relief for the hips or shoulders might be drawn to Zenhaven.
The covers of both brands should feel somewhat similar, as they both feature cotton and wool. Shoppers should experience a temperature-neutral, soft surface.
Both products offer zoned comfort that is designed to cater to the different areas of the body by alternating pressure relief or support where it is most needed. This should promote good spinal alignment and even weight distribution.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
If you are looking to float in a Gentle Cradle, either mattress should be a good option as the Gentle Firm setting of the Zenhaven should allow minimal sinkage, as should the Avocado bed. If sinking into a Deep Hug sounds comfy and cozy to you, Zenhaven’s Luxury Plush option may be more your speed.
Both beds boast fast-responding materials that should fully reform, leaving behind fewer body impressions. Because of the springy latex, both models offer a high level of bounce. Either mattress should be a great fit for combination sleepers and people who want to move freely on the bed, but those with considerable mobility issues might want to consider Avocado as the coil system should enhance this bounce a bit more.
Comparing Motion Transfer
Either brand should provide a lot of bounce, which may allow for slightly higher levels of motion transfer than common memory foams. While Avocado’s wrapped and pocketed coils do help to isolate motion, especially when compared to other hybrids or innersprings. However, very light sleepers or those who require extra motion control will likely prefer Zenhaven as the coils inside the Avocado are likely to allow more movement to travel throughout the bed.
Comparing Edge Support
People who share their mattress with partners or pets generally prefer enhanced edge support as this can make the available sleep surface feel larger. Zenhaven should provide very good edge support for an all-foam product, with some compression being noticeable, but not so much that shoppers feel as though they may fall out of the bed. Those seeking enhanced stability should consider Avocado as the reinforced edge coils should promote consistency throughout the entire surface.
Zenhaven vs. Avocado Compared Side-by-Side
|Cover||Organic cotton and New Zealand wool||New Zealand wool and organic cotton|
|Materials||Talalay latex||Dunlop latex and steel coils|
|Cooling||Pinholes in the latex, wool||Pinholes in the latex, wool|
|Sinkage||Deep Hug, Gentle Cradle||Gentle Cradle|
|Warranty||20 years||25 years|
|Trial Period||120 nights||365 nights|
|Certifications||OEKO-TEX® and GOTS certified||OEKO-TEX®, GOTS, GREENGUARD Gold, and eco-INSTITUT® certified|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes|
|Shipping||Free in the contiguous United States and parts of Canada, White Glove Delivery Service is available||Free in the United States, White Glove Delivery is optional|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Zenhaven Price (w/o discount)||Avocado Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Zenhaven or Avocado?
It’s the moment of truth. Are you an all-foam or hybrid kind of shopper? Here are a few suggestions for who should consider either model.
We Would Recommend Buying Zenhaven if You are Looking for:
- Dual-sided comfort. This product is able to be flipped, allowing for a medium-soft feel on one side and a firm comfort setting on the other.
- Varying sinkage levels. There should be a deep hug available on the softer side of this mattress, while the firmer option should minimize sinkage, resulting in a gentle cradle. Shoppers can choose between the comfort options they like best.
- Zoned comfort. Divided into 5 zones, the comfort layer is designed to allow certain areas of the body to sink deeper into the bed or float closer to the top to promote proper alignment of the spine.
We Would Recommend Buying Avocado if You are Looking for:
- A hybrid feel. The steel springs in this hybrid should provide good bounce and solid support. This is combined with the pressure relief of the latex layers to create a comfortable and versatile medium-firm experience.
- Lots of bounce. This product offers ample bounce, which is meant to allow sleepers easier repositioning. Shoppers should be able to move around easily without feeling as though they are stuck inside the bed.
- Zoned support. The coil system is zoned so that some areas of the body experience more compression and others should feel more pushback. This should ensure even weight distribution and good spinal alignment.
Either model should be a great fit for anyone seeking lots of bounce, zoned comfort, and a temperature neutral experience. Zenhaven should be preferred by those preferring dual-sided comfort, extra motion control, and a classic latex feel. Opt for Avocado if a gentle cradle, enhanced bounce, and a hybrid experience are more your speed.
If you’d like to learn more about either brand, check out our in-depth reviews linked at the top of this article.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.