Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
What’s the difference between a hybrid and an innerspring?
Our Avocado and Saatva comparison will help you learn the differences between the two so you can determine which construction best suits your needs. The hybrid model has been designed by a company that believes in organic and natural products, along with putting customers’ needs first. The innerspring was created to offer a high end feel at a budget-friendly price.
Quick Comparison: Avocado vs. Saatva
- Eco-friendly bed
- Traditional innerspring feel
- Affordable price
- Classic innerspring feel
- Affordable luxury
- Quality construction
Comparing Construction (Materials & Quality)
- The top layer is a 2-inch Dunlop GOLS certified Latex that has been aerated to promote airflow. Shoppers should experience gentle pressure relief from this material.
- The second layer boasts 8-inch Individually Pocketed Steel Coils that have been upcycled to reduce waste. The coils are zoned to offer varying levels of pushback and compression for different areas of the body to promote proper spinal alignment.
- The bottom layer holds a high-density, 1-inch Dunlop Latex that creates a stable foundation for the upper materials. This layer should absorb some of the motion from the coils, helping to reduce motion transfer.
- The perimeter features reinforced coils that promote enhanced edge support.
This innerspring mattress incorporates thin layers of memory foam for enhanced comfort and added motion control. The bed is shipped ready-to-use and uncompressed.
The organic cotton cover features a unique quilting design that offers extra support to the lumbar region. Blended foams at 1.25 inches thick are stitched into the cover to create the pillow top. This product is available in 11.5 or 14.5-inch models.
- Beneath the topper is a lumbar support enhancement created with the use of pressure-relieving memory foam.
- The second layer consists of a 4-inch Individually Wrapped Coil system that is meant to reduce motion transfer and to offer personalized support by reacting independently to the shopper’s movements and position.
- The foundation layer holds 7-inch Steel Support Coils in an hourglass shape to enhance stability. This second set of springs promotes airflow and bounce.
- The perimeter offers enhanced edge support through the use of a reinforced foam railing around the mattress.
Comparing Firmness (Support & Feel)
We have assigned scores between 1 and 10 to each mattress to give you an idea of how these beds should feel to most people. This scale assumes that a lower score feels softer, with 1 being the softest possible score. The higher the ranking, the firmer the feel, with 10 being the firmest.
Avocado features a score of 7, which is likely to feel medium-firm or firm depending on the sleeper’s preferences and how they experience the bed. Stomach sleepers often prefer firmer comfort levels as this helps to prevent the hips from sinking too much. However, the zoned coils should allow for enough pressure relief that side sleepers are likely to be comfortable on this mattress while remaining aligned.
The Saatva mattress is available in multiple comfort options so that shoppers can find their perfect match. We have ranked the Luxury Firm model as a 6. The company scored their Plush Soft option at a 3 and their Firm version at an 8.
Lying on the hybrid, shoppers will notice natural temperature regulation thanks to the wool inside the cover. The upper materials are meant to provide pressure relief, but those who want a bit more cushion between themselves and the supportive coils can add the optional Euro top.
The innerspring promises a plush initial feel provided by the Euro top, which is met by a dual-coil construction. The upper springs are designed to compress individually under a person’s weight, providing contouring and motion isolation while the lower coils stand firm for extra support.
Both feature materials that respond quickly, with a slightly slower response being noticed in the lumbar region of the innerspring.
Comparing Sinkage and Bounce
Sinkage is likely to be minimal on either product. Buyers can enjoy a gentle cradle that allows easy movement and airflow.
Both brands offer ample levels of bounce that helps people to move around easily without feeling stuck or hindered by the foam. Because it has two coil units, the Saatva may be the best option for combination sleepers seeking help with mobility.
Comparing Motion Transfer
The springs inside each item may allow some motion to travel throughout the coil systems, which could be disruptive to shoppers with restless partners or who share their bed with wiggly pets. Thankfully, the pocketed design and layers of foam help to absorb some of this movement, isolating it and reducing these nightly interruptions.
Most shoppers will do well on either mattress, but the connected coils in the lower spring system in the innerspring may allow some motion to travel throughout that layer. Very sensitive (light) sleepers might prefer the hybrid as it offers a little bit more motion control.
Comparing Edge Support
Some shoppers like to sprawl out on their bed, using the entire sleep surface, including the edges. Couples may require a little extra breathing room and might want to take advantage of the mattress edge, as well. The edge support offered by either bed is quite exceptional due to reinforced coils in the hybrid and a foam railing in the innerspring.
Avocado vs. Saatva Compared Side-by-Side
|Height||11”||11.5” or 14.5”|
|Cover||New Zealand wool, organic cotton||Cotton Euro Pillowtop with blended foams|
|Materials||Dunlop latex, steel coils||Memory Foam, Pocket Coils, Steel Coils|
|Cooling||Wool, individually pocketed coils||Coils|
|Firmness||7/10||3/10, 6/10, 8/10|
|Sinkage||Gentle Cradle||Gentle Cradle|
|Warranty||25 years||15 years|
|Trial Period||365 nights||120 nights|
|Certifications||OEKO-TEX®, eco-INSTITUT®, GREENGUARD Gold, GOTS, certified, GOLS, Made Safe||CertiPUR-US®|
|Adjustable Base Compatible||Yes||Yes (only in 11.5”)|
|Shipping||Free in the United States, White Glove delivery service is optional and offered free to shoppers who make a King-sized purchase||Ships to the United States and parts of Canada with free White Glove Delivery|
|Made in the USA||Yes||Yes|
|Size||Avocado Price (w/o discount)||Saatva Price (w/o discount)|
Should I Buy Avocado or Saatva?
By now you probably have a good idea of whether or not you prefer the hybrid or the innerspring. But let’s take a look at a few of the highlights for each bed and see how they stack up to the needs of different sleeper types.
We Would Recommend Buying Avocado if You are Looking for:
- Natural temperature regulation. The wool inside the organic cotton cover is meant to control temperature naturally, preventing overheating. The springs enhance airflow, further promoting cooling of the bed.
- Zoned support. The springs inside this item feature different gauges which allow varying levels of compression or pushback for each zone.
- A classic hybrid experience. This bed blends the pressure relief of an all-foam with the support and consistent edges of an innerspring.
We Would Recommend Buying Saatva if You are Looking for:
- Lots of airflow. Two different coil systems allow air to flow freely between the layers of this bed, promoting cooling.
- Enhanced lumbar support. A special quilting design and memory foam are used to promote extra support to the lumbar region.
- Multiple comfort options. This item is available in Plush Soft, Luxury Firm, and Firm models that appeal to a wide range of preferences.
Avocado is a good choice for shoppers who want pressure relief, zoned support, and natural cooling. Saatva offers lumbar support, lots of bounce and airflow, and multiple comfort options. Either way you go, you can rest assured that you will receive a high-quality bed designed to offer luxury at an affordable price.
Check out our individual reviews for either bed to learn more about each one.