Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Everyone knows how important Veteran’s Day is and why it’s important to acknowledge the men and women who serve our country in uniform, but have you ever wondered why it’s celebrated on November 11?
World War I ended in 1918 with an Armistice with Germany that went into effect at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the eleventh month, which is….right. November! Originally, the federal holiday was known as Armistice Day until 1954 when it was formally changed to Veteran’s Day.
This is a day that we remember the service of military men and women and support their journeys home. Did you know that a lot of soldiers struggle to get rest when they get back to the States? It’s estimated that 72% of soldiers aren’t getting the sleep they need compared to 65% of the general public.
We urge you to share our research with friends and loved ones that have served and support them on their path to sleep wellness. You don’t need a federal holiday to tell you that, but it is a good reminder of our need to keep reaching out.
But what does this have to do with mattresses? Well, let’s see.
Veteran’s Day & Pre-Holiday Mattress Sales
Many mattress companies take advantage of long holiday weekends to promote sales, and Veteran’s day is no exception. In fact, the holiday is uniquely positioned right before the huge doorbuster sales for Black Friday.
What does that mean? Well, companies are eager to move the remaining bits of stock leftover from the summer while they gear up for the big holiday push. If you’re in the market for a new bed, this can be a really attractive time to buy.
Keep in mind that not all companies will link their sales to specific holidays and might have extended offers going on outside this particular weekend but before Black Friday. When you’re doing your search, keep that in mind so you don’t miss out on your perfect bed.
In this guide, we’ve put together a list of companies putting together sales that you might want to check out. Make sure you keep checking back, as we’ll be updating as we find new deals. Also, read on for tips for navigating in-store sales.
Shopping In-Store Deals
Online mattresses have become super popular, but that doesn’t mean brick-and-mortar stores are out of the game entirely. Not at all, in fact, holidays are a major time when they come out swinging with some really major sales.
They know that a lot of people are still too nervous to buy a bed sight unseen and want the opportunity to talk their needs over with a salesperson and try lying down on a couple of different styles to see what they like. In fact, this in-person evaluation is why buying in stores is still the most popular method.
However, there are some things you should be aware of before you walk into the store.
- Examine Small Print. Sales in print media are designed to get your attention so be sure to read the fine print about exceptions and limitations. Models that have been discontinued may have different warranty/sleep trial qualifications.
- Do your research. Read about different materials before you go so you have an idea of what you like, what you don’t, and extras that you do not need.
- Keep an Open Mind. Big brands advertise on TV and get a lot of attention with clever advertising that they pay a lot of money to produce. A smaller, lesser-known brand might have the exact same quality for less if you know what you’re looking for.
- Act Fast. Most in-store deals depend a lot on what stock they have on hand. Especially this time of year, they’re just anxious to get it out the door. The bed of your dreams is priced to move and move it will if you don’t jump on the opportunity.
- Check the Calendar. Different deals might improve later in the weekend when the sale is almost over, but be careful, because the brand you may have your eye on could be gone by the time you are ready to buy.
The big players are usually Sears, Mattress Firm, and Costco, but there are some others to look out for. Wal-Mart, for example, is having one of their biggest sales ever in the Fall of 2019. Smaller furniture stores that are locally owned are also a great choice.
The opportunity to shop for well…anything in the comfort of your own home (in your pajamas even) is a very attractive thing. More and more businesses are waking up to the fact that if they’re not selling online, they’re missing out on a HUGE opportunity for business.
Over the past few years, giants like BeautyRest, Serta, and Sealy are all looking at how they can offer some of their products online, so the internet start-ups have some hefty competition on the horizon.
While online mattress sales can represent a savings most of the year, this may be less true during this particular time of the year when stores are looking to liquidate their storerooms. Still, buying online offers a lot of convenient features beyond price and almost always comes with unbeatable sleep trials that take the risk out of buying.
If buying mattresses online is new to you and nerves are the only thing standing in your way, allow us to offer some tips to help you find the perfect & highest rated bed.
- Read up on the sleep trial. Many argue that trying a bed in your home will give you a better idea of its long-term value than testing it for 10 seconds in a store. These vary in length, so check out the deal on the brand you’re looking at to get a better idea of how these work and how to return the bed if you don’t care for it.
- Prepare for off-gassing. Some brands, and especially brands with a lot of polyurethane foam, can carry an odor when they’re vacuum packed in a factory and brought to your home directly. Think of it as a new car smell. If you have a sensitive nose, make sure you have a well-ventilated space to air your new bed out.
- Phone a friend. These boxes can be HEAVY. If you’re not prepared to carry it upstairs, you may look for brands that offer White Glove Delivery where professionals unpack and place your bed for you. Otherwise, make sure you have a friend or partner on hand that can help you.
- Check your frame. Modern beds often come with specifications about what frame works best for the bed. If this isn’t on the website, be sure to ask a sales rep for recommendations that will ensure you have the best experience with set up.
Other than that, the same rules apply. Do your research and so you know what you mean before you start looking at brands. Happy hunting and best of luck on your mattress journey!
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.