Have you been looking for a luxurious mattress that’s also good for the environment? Birch Living, a mattress brand owned by parent company Helix, prides itself on using eco-friendly and sustainably-sourced materials.
The Birch Luxe is their – surprise, surprise – most luxurious mattress offering. A hybrid mattress, the Birch Luxe combines natural materials like organic wool, cotton, and latex, with premium cashmere and a reinforced coil system.
In this Birch Luxe Natural review, we’ll break down its features, benefits, materials, and noteworthy drawbacks, so you can decide if it’s the right mattress for you.
Who We Recommend The Birch Luxe Natural For:
- Eco-conscious shoppers – The Luxe Natural has multiple layers made from natural and organic materials such as cashmere, cotton, and wool. Birch ensures all the materials come from natural and sustainable sources.
- People with back pain – The Luxe Natural mattress is a sturdy hybrid mattress, which means it should offer plenty of support. A zoned lumbar system offers enhanced support where you need it the most.
- Hot sleepers – Like most hybrid mattresses, the Birch Luxe should be a good choice for most hot sleepers. It uses organic cashmere, cotton, and wool for enhanced breathability, as well as a latex layer (latex is naturally temperature-regulating and a bed of individually-wrapped coils for constant airflow.
Who We Don’t Recommend The Birch Luxe Natural For:
- People who prefer traditional foam beds – Although this is a hybrid, the Birch Luxe Natural doesn’t contain any poly foam or memory foam. Instead, the mattress combines wool, cashmere, and latex, which have more bounce. Those who crave the slow sinking sensation of memory foam may be disappointed.
- Lightweight side sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers who weigh under 130 pounds may find the Birch Luxe Natural too firm to relieve pressure in this position. Petite sleepers under 130 pounds may not sink enough to activate the upper comfort layers, which means they may not receive enough cushioning in the shoulders and hips.
First Impressions: Firmness & Feel
Firmness Scale: 6-7/10
Please remember that firmness is a subjective characteristic and your shape will dictate how you experience a bed. A heavier person whose weight can more easily push through softer comfort and support layers may experience a bed as softer than a lightweight person. The way you are shaped could also play a role here. Consider your weight, shape, and size when evaluating firmness scores.
Firmness ratings are based on our one to ten firmness scale, with one being the softest and ten being the hardest. We found the Birch Luxe mattress falls at a 6 to 7 out of 10. This means the Birch Luxe should feel medium-firm to slightly firm, depending on your exact weight.
Although this firmness and feel should fit most people, some people may experience it as firmer or softer depending on their sleeping position and body weight. For example, lightweight side sleepers may find it firmer, whereas heavy stomach sleepers may experience it as softer.
How Does It Feel?
When you first sink into the mattress, you should feel the quilted Euro top cover cushioning you, easing you into the cashmere and wool comfort layer. Two comfort layers and a natural latex layer lie below, promoting deep pressure relief without making you feel trapped inside the bed.
One thing to keep in mind: Although this mattress’s surface feels plush and comfortable, the bed is on the firmer side, thanks to the reinforced coil system below. In other words, most sleepers should sink just enough for pressure relief, while the coils push back for ample support.
What We Like About the Birch Luxe Natural
- Uses a hybrid design – The Birch Luxe Natural features a hybrid design that comes with 100% natural latex, aka an excellent material for pressure relief. The Birch Luxe’s coil unit is helpful in terms of support and airflow, especially since the coils are individually-wrapped which helps minimize motion transfer across the mattress.
- Contains natural materials – The Birch Luxe Natural is an eco-friendly mattress that contains natural and organic materials. It uses organic cashmere, cotton, and wool which helps with breathability. These materials also make the bed a good choice for sleepers with allergies or sensitive skin.
- Plenty of breathability and cooling – The Birch Luxe Natural mattress has natural and organic materials that promote temperature regulation and breathability. The plush cotton cover combines cashmere, hygroscopic wool, and natural latex to increase airflow, while the coil base prevents heat retention.
Our Birch Luxe Natural Complaints
- Higher price point – Hybrids provide plenty of benefits like extra support and cooling, but they do come at a cost. This is especially true for the Birch Luxe Natural, which uses high-quality, sustainably-sourced materials. It’s a luxury mattress with a luxury price tag, which may put it out of reach for mattress shoppers on a budget.
- Limited motion isolation – Motion isolation is a feature that helps decrease the amount of motion transfer across the bed. The Birch Luxe Natural mattress comes with individually-wrapped coils, which reduces some motion transfer, but not as much as an all-foam mattress with memory foam.
Testing the Birch Luxe Natural Mattress: How it Performed
We tested the Birch Luxe Natural mattress to see how it would fit a range of people, depending on their body weight and preferred sleeping position. We also tested for edge support by sitting and lying near the edge of the bed to evaluate just how much it collapses under the weight. In addition, we measured the Birch Luxe Natural’s motion isolation by placing a water bottle on one side of the bed and seeing how much it wobbles if you toss and turn on the other side. These exercises combined with a few other tests helped us determine the bed’s overall performance.
Sleeping Positions for Different Body Types
The Birch Luxe Natural doesn’t have a weight limit, but since it’s a hybrid, we’d say it can handle up to 1,000 pounds. The mattress combines coils with multiple comfort layers, so it should have no issue supporting heavier sleepers. On top of that, it’s on the firmer side, which also makes it a good option for heavier sleepers and couples who typically need a sturdier bed for greater support.
|Weight||Side Sleepers||Back Sleepers||Stomach Sleepers
|Lightweight Sleepers (-130 lbs)||★☆☆||★★★||★★★|
|Average-Weight Sleepers (130-230 lbs)||★★★||★★★||★★☆|
|Heavyweight Sleepers (+230 lbs)||★★☆||★★☆||★☆☆|
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight side sleepers may find this mattress too firm to relieve pressure in the shoulders. However, those who prefer a firmer feel may still like the plushness of the Euro top.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight side sleepers should experience more sinkage for better pressure relief. Multiple comfort layers cradle the body in sensitive areas while the coils ensure proper spine alignment.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy side sleepers may experience this mattress as a bit softer, but the coils shouldn’t allow too much sinkage. They should experience a welcome amount of sinkage that doesn’t compromise the bed’s support.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Back sleepers under 130 pounds should feel well-supported thanks to the slightly firm feel.
- Average-weight Sleepers – People who weigh between 130 and 230 pounds should feel the zoned support in the coils, which provides softer support under the shoulders and knees and more sturdiness for the hips and back. Those who weigh closer to 230 pounds may experience more sinkage though spine alignment shouldn’t be compromised.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Heavy back sleepers should like the Birch Luxe Natural mattress as it has zoned support to keep the heaviest body parts from collapsing. However, they may sink deeper into the Euro top.
- Lightweight Sleepers – Lightweight stomach sleepers should like the plush and comfortable Euro top, which cradles the hips and upper body to prevent pressure build-up in this position.
- Average-weight Sleepers – Average-weight stomach sleepers are likely to sink deeper into the comfort layers, which is why those who weigh closer to 230 pounds may like a firmer bed. However, the majority of sleepers in this group should get solid support from the latex layer and coil unit.
- Heavyweight Sleepers – Stomach sleepers above 230 pounds might find this bed too soft to prevent the hips from sinking into the upper layers. This can compromise spine alignment and lead to back or neck pain.
Pressure Relief & Pain
Pressure relief is a given with this mattress. The Birch Luxe Natural has three comfort layers and a latex layer specially designed for pressure relief. The first comfort layer combines wool and cashmere for a plush feel that contours the pressure points. Further down, you’ll find two wool comfort layers and a pressure-relieving latex layer.
The latex in this mattress cradles your body and also helps you transition to the coils without bottoming out.
Back Pain – People with back pain should like the medium-firm to slightly firm feel of the Birch Luxe Natural mattress. The coil unit does a great job of keeping the hips aligned with the rest of the body, so you’re less likely to feel pressure and pain in the lower back. In addition, the zoned coil system provides extra support where you need it most.
Hip Pain – Hip pain can be a serious issue for side sleepers, but the Birch Luxe Natural mattress should help by relieving pressure and pain in this area. The latex layer is specifically designed to relieve pressure points such as the hips.
Shoulder Pain – The shoulders are also a common pressure point for most people, especially those who sleep on their side. The Birch Luxe Natural should be a good option for people with shoulder pain as it allows an even weight distribution and prevents pressure from building up in this area.
Hybrids are well-known for their ability to provide excellent support, and the Birch Luxe Natural mattress is no different. It excels in the support department thanks to its coil unit which provides zoned support and a reinforced perimeter. The support zones are focused on the hips, shoulders, and knees, which is where your body is the heaviest.
The coil unit features over 1,000 steel coils that are individually-wrapped. This helps keep the upper layers from collapsing while also ensuring your body is aligned regardless of your preferred sleeping position. In addition, the reinforced perimeter adds to the overall edge support, which creates a sturdy, solid perimeter.
Motion transfer can make it difficult to fall asleep if you’re a light sleeper who shares a bed with someone who tosses and turns throughout the night. Even people who share their bed with a child or pet can easily be disturbed and awaken without proper motion isolation. The Birch Luxe Natural mattress is a hybrid that doesn’t have foam layers, so you may feel more motion transfer than you would in a traditional hybrid with foam.
However, the bed does have a quilted Euro top which should absorb some of that movement. The coils are also individually-wrapped which should help with motion isolation, so couples and co-sleepers may still achieve uninterrupted rest with this mattress.
Temperature Regulation / Cooling
Hot sleepers should like the Birch Luxe Natural mattress as it includes several organic and natural materials that help with temperature regulation and breathability. The cashmere and wool comfort layer possess natural thermoregulatory properties which helps prevent the mattress surface from overheating. Beneath that lies a natural latex layer and coil base for even greater breathability and air flow.
Performance for Couples
Couples usually look for a universally-appealing firmness level, bounce, motion isolation, and edge support – all of which you can find in the Birch Luxe Natural mattress. Although the bed doesn’t isolate motion as well as some foam mattresses, most couples should be satisfied. On top of that, the natural bounciness of latex should help sexually-active couples. The Birch Luxe Natural is also breathable and cooling, so you shouldn’t have to worry if you share your bed with a hot sleeper. Many couples should also like its edge support which allows them to spread across the entire surface of the bed.
This hybrid has a Euro top with a matelassé finish. Not only does this Euro top give the bed a luxurious feel and look, but it also helps with comfort and breathability. The Euro top is made from organic cotton which promotes a comfortable and breathable surface.
Certified Organic Materials
The materials in the Birch Luxe Natural mattress are organic and natural. The cashmere comes from free-range goats and is GOTS-certified, whereas the organic wool has a Wool Integrity NZ certification. The cotton in this bed is also certified as Fair Trade organic cotton because it comes from sustainable sources. The latex is sustainably sourced from the Forest Stewardship Council and Rainforest Alliance-certified trees.
Adjustable Base Compatible
The Birch Luxe Natural mattress should work with any bed foundation, including an adjustable base. Consider pairing the mattress with one of Birch’s bed foundations for the best performance and durability.
Handmade in the USA
The Birch Luxe Natural is handcrafted and assembled in Arizona.
Construction: What’s Inside the Birch Luxe Natural?
The Birch Luxe is a hybrid mattress with an organic cotton quilted Euro-Top with a matelassé finish, organic cashmere, wool, ventilated pulse latex, and pocketed coils. The mattress stands 11.5 inches tall, but you may notice slight variations in each mattress since each bed is hand made.
- The first layer under the Euro top is a fire-retardant layer made of organic wool which also comes with natural cooling properties.
- The first comfort layer is made from organic cashmere and wool batting. This plush layer provides thermoregulatory properties for even greater breathability.
- The second and third comfort layers are identical. They’re made from wool for extra cushioning, temperature regulation, and moisture-wicking thanks to wool’s natural hygroscopic properties and elasticity.
- The pressure-relieving layer is made from a ventilated latex layer. This layer relieves pressure points while helping the mattress maintain its shape.
- The support layer contains up to 1,000 individually-wrapped coils. These are spread throughout the mattress to provide targeted lumbar support. This also gives the mattress good edge support and minimal motion transfer.
- The base layer is a second fire retardant layer also made from organic wool to keep you safe and add stability to the upper layers.
Unboxing & Off-Gassing
The Birch Luxe Natural mattress should arrive at your home compressed in a box. Start by removing the bed from its box and place it onto your bed frame.
Much like most bed-in-a-box mattresses, this hybrid may take up to 24 hours to fully expand and reach its full size. You can sleep on it right away, but you may not experience its full potential until it decompresses. Also, you may notice a slight odor when you first open it. This is common for bed-in-a-box mattresses and should dissipate by the time the bed expands. Don’t worry about the toxicity of the odors since the Birch Luxe is made from natural materials.
- Eco-Friendly Certifications – This product has a GREENGUARD Gold certification that reflects the product’s ability to meet some of the world’s most rigorous emissions standards. The mattress also has a Global Organic Textile Standard certification. The brand sources its latex from forests and plantations certified by the Forest Stewardship Council and Rainforest Alliance.
- Certified Natural Materials – The cashmere in this mattress is GOTS-certified, which means it meets the international third-party standard to be certified organic. The wool in this bed is Wool Integrity NZ-certified organic wool, while the cotton is Fair Trade organic cotton.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping – The brand offers free shipping to all fifty states. Shipping to Canada requires an extra fee of 250 dollars due to additional expenses.
- Trial – Birch gives you 100 nights to test the Luxe Natural mattress. There’s a 30-day break-in period during which you can’t return the mattress.
- Warranty – The Birch Luxe Natural comes with a 25-year warranty.
- Return Policy – You can return your Birch mattress for a full refund before the 100-night trial is up. However, you’re required to keep it for at least 30 days before initiating a return.
Sizes & Prices
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 11.5”||$1,811.30|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11.5”||$1,936.30|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11.5”||$2,436.30|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11.5”||$3,123.80|
|King||76” x 80” x 11.5”||$3,623.80|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11.5”||$3,623.80|
Frequently Asked Questions
Is the Birch Luxe Natural mattress made in the USA?
The Birch Luxe Natural mattress is handcrafted in the USA. The company designs and produces mattresses in its factory in Arizona. This allows them to provide free shipping and fast delivery.
Is the Birch Luxe Natural mattress non-toxic?
The Birch Luxe Natural mattress is non-toxic as it’s made entirely from natural and organic materials. The mattress features several certifications that indicate the quality and sustainability of its materials which ensure it’s free of toxins, chemicals, heavy metals, and other harmful substances.
How thick is the Birch Luxe Natural mattress?
While you may notice slight variations in height since the mattress is handcrafted, the Birch Luxe Natural mattress averages around 11.5 inches tall. This is standard for most bed-in-a-box mattresses, and its height makes it a good match for nearly all room sizes and setups. The mattress also works with all bed foundations, including adjustable bases.
Birch Luxe Natural vs. Other Brands
Birch Luxe Natural vs. Saatva Zenhaven
- Hybrid design
- Multiple comfort layers
- Optional plush mattress topper
- Dual-sided design
- Five-zone natural latex
- Complimentary White Glove Delivery
Who We Recommend the Birch Luxe Natural For
- Average-weight sleepers
- Hot sleepers
- People with pressure build-up
Who We Recommend the Saatva Zenhaven For
- Sleepers with back pain
- Those who want options when it comes to firmness
Interested? Read our full Saatva Zenhaven Mattress Review.
Birch Luxe Natural vs. Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep Luxe
- Two fire retardant layers
- Higher price point
- 25-year warranty
- Flippable latex core
- 10-year warranty
Who We Recommend the Birch Luxe Natural For
- Luxury shoppers
- Those who want the option to add a mattress topper
- Back and side sleepers
Who We Recommend the Brooklyn Bedding EcoSleep Luxe For
- People looking for firmness options
- Sleepers with hip pain
- Shoppers on a budget
Birch Luxe Natural vs. Other Birch Models
Birch Luxe Natural vs. Birch Natural
- Luxurious feel
- Plush Euro top
- Three wool layers
- Affordable quality
- Organic cotton cover
- Two wool layers
Who We Recommend the Birch Luxe Natural For
- Luxury shoppers
- Back sleepers
- People looking for edge support
Who We Recommend the Birch Natural For
- Shoppers on a budget
- Average-weight sleepers
- Stomach sleepers
Explore our Birch Natural Mattress Review.
For shoppers who don’t mind spending a little more, the Birch Luxe Natural should be a worthwhile investment. Though it comes with a 25-year warranty, you likely won’t need to use it since this bed features high-quality, eco-friendly materials like latex, coils, and organic wool, cotton, and cashmere.
Side sleepers should like how the Birch Luxe Natural mattress feels in this position. The bed has a unique latex comfort layer designed specifically to relieve pressure in sensitive points such as the shoulders, hips, and knees. However, some lightweight side sleepers may prefer a softer bed or the addition of the plush mattress topper.
This bed has a medium-firm to slightly firm feel that should work perfectly for back sleepers. The Euro top and comfort layers offer a bit of sinkage which prevents pressure buildup in the lower back, while the coils keep the spine aligned for a healthy sleeping posture.
Stomach sleepers need the most support to prevent the hips from sinking into the mattress. The Birch Luxe Natural has a firmer feel, so it should do a good job of supporting the hips. However, people who weigh over 230 pounds may find it too soft in this position, depending on their preference.
The Birch Luxe Natural should work well for those who switch positions throughout the night. The bed combines latex with coils to deliver enough bounce for combo sleepers to switch positions easily.
Couples looking for versatility should like the Birch Luxe Natural mattress as it has a medium-firm to slightly firm feel that should fit most people. It also offers good edge support and bounce most couples look for. However, it does lack a bit in the motion-isolating department, which may be unappealing to those who share their bed with a restless sleeper.
People who weigh above 230 pounds usually steer toward firmer beds, which is why most should like the Birch Luxe Natural mattress. Back and side sleepers should find sufficient support, while significantly heavier stomach sleepers may want an even firmer bed.
Lighter than average sleepers sleeping on their back and stomach are likely to find a nice balance of pressure relief and support from Birch’s comfort and support layers. Those who sleep on their side may want a softer bed because many are likely to experience the Birch Luxe Natural as firmer, which can create pressure build-up.
Average Weight Sleepers
Average-weight sleepers should like how the Birch Luxe Natural mattress holds the body in alignment while allowing a bit of sinkage for pressure relief. Those who weigh closer to 230 pounds may experience the bed as softer, but should still like how it feels especially in side and back sleeping positions.
Birch Luxe Natural is a high value mattress designed to last many years. The bed features multiple natural materials and eco-friendly certifications that speaks to its quality and durability. Although it’s on the pricey side, it packs a lot of value with a 25-year warranty, plush Euro top, organic cashmere and wool comfort layers, and a sturdy coil basse with a reinforced perimeter.
After testing the Birch Luxe Natural mattress, we can safely say it’s a quality mattress designed to satisfy a range of sleepers. The medium-firm to slightly firm feel should be a good match for most sleepers, depending on their body weight and preferred sleeping position. The mattress is natural from top to bottom, sporting many certifications that prove its quality, eco-friendliness, and safety.
Although it may not work for heavy stomach sleepers or couples looking for a high level of motion isolation, the Birch Luxe Natural is an excellent option for people with allergies, eco-friendly shoppers, hot sleepers and those looking for superior pressure relief.
Jill Zwarensteyn is the editor for Sleep Advisor and a certified sleep science coach. She is enthusiastic about providing helpful and engaging information on all things sleep and wellness.
Based in Los Angeles, she is an experienced writer and journalist who enjoys spending her free time at the beach, hiking, reading, or exploring new places around town.
She’s also an avid traveler who has a personal goal of being able to successfully sleep on an airplane someday.