If you ever wanted an eco-friendly mattress, you might want to consider the Birch Natural. The Birch mattress is optimized for pressure relief, offering a breathable, hypoallergenic, and comfortable sleep environment for a variety of sleepers, and with latex and coils in its construction, it delivers extra buoyancy.
Our Birch mattress review will guide you through each layer to explain all of the sustainable ingredients that make up the bed, as well as an idea about how you can expect them to perform. Pressure relief, support, cooling, and motion transfer? We’ve got you covered.
Read on if you’re the type that likes to consider all the details—but if you’re in a rush, go ahead to the bottom where we’ve rounded up the highlights and calculated a score.
Who Do We Think Matches With Birch?
- Environmentally conscious folks – The Birch is made with natural and organic materials. The mattress also boasts numerous environmental certifications for its eco-friendly design. People seeking a more sustainable product should find a match in Birch.
- Sleepers who like bounce – The Talalay latex in the comfort layer is quite springy, and this works well with the individually wrapped coils beneath to give the bed a good level of bounce, making the bed easier to navigate.
- Those who like to give back – This company has generously pledged to give 1 percent of its proceeds to the National Forest Foundation, hoping to plant 50 million trees by 2023.
Possible Birch Complaints:
- It doesn’t have a plush, soft feel – This mattress, on its own, is slightly firmer than average, which should be great for many back and stomach sleepers who want to ensure extra support and advanced alignment. But if you need something a bit softer, the company does offer a plush topper that can change up the feel.
- Minimal Motion Isolation – The Birch Natural offers lots of bounce, which means it won’t be as good for motion isolation as memory foam beds. Couples concerned about disturbing their partner if they move typically like beds with good motion isolation.
Construction: What’s inside Birch?
Birch mattresses are made in the United States, using natural cotton, wool, Birch wool, latex, and steel coils. The cover of this 11-inch mattress is made from all-natural cotton that is highly breathable and has a tiny bit of stretch to allow the surface to cradle you. This wraps around the mattress’s five layers.
- The first layer is a layer of wool mixed with rayon to form the product’s natural flame retardant.
- The second layer is another layer of Birch wool, which was designed to provide an elastic comfort that cradles your shape while wicking away moisture and excess heat.
- The third layer is made from Talalay latex. This is where the pressure relief starts, as the foams conform to your shape to help relieve strain from tired joints while remaining temperature neutral and responsive.
- The fourth layer is formed with individually wrapped coils. The advantage of wrapped coils is their ability to tailor support to your body’s shape and isolate motion. Coils along the bed’s edge are reinforced to provide edge support, allowing you to sit and sleep near the edge of the bed.
- The fifth layer is made of flame-resistant wool batting. This serves to cushion the coils and give the bed a sturdy foundation all while creating a more natural fire resistance barrier.
The optional topper will add three inches of comfort materials that combine wool and latex to the top of the bed.
*Note that the company does not publish the full measurements of the bed’s layers online.
First Impression: How Does It Feel?
Birch arrives at your doorstep compressed into a box for easier transport, and you can unpack it on the appropriately-sized frame of your choice, even adjustable if that’s your preference.
When you first get onto the bed, you’ll notice the bounce straight away—this is the latex and coils doing the talking. Once you settle in, you should expect the wool and latex to cradle your shape, while the coils push back against your spine to hold it in alignment.
Talalay latex is processed in a way that results in a more consistent and springier foam that is quick to respond to pressure and feels light and airy.
Firmness Scale: 6.5/10
A bed with good pressure-relieving capabilities allows heavier areas of the body to sink into the mattress so you can sleep comfortably without aches and pains. Without adequate relief, excess pressure can develop under areas like the shoulders and hips, causing or exacerbating tension.
As a result, you may have difficulty falling asleep or wake up uncomfortable.
The Birch Natural is rated a 6.5 on our firmness scale. The bed’s medium-firm feel should be ideal for back sleepers and some stomach sleepers. However, lighter side sleepers, who often need pressure relief the most, will probably prefer something softer. However, the Birch brand does sell a plush mattress topper that could help deliver added softness and relief.
Health-conscious folks looking for proper spinal support should be very pleased with the medium-firm materials that work to keep the spine in neutral alignment. Latex foam is more durable and conforming than synthetic foams and is able to offer relief for pressure points while also providing adequate support. Latex has the added benefit of offering some bounce which is great for repositioning and aiding mobility.
The independently pocketed coils are the backbone of support in this mattress, compressing individually to offer relief under heavier areas and pushback support for the lumbar spine. Together, the materials should make this bed comfortable and supportive for a variety of individuals and sleeping positions.
While medium-firm support can work well for almost every type of sleeper, some folks prefer a softer feel. An optional topper made of wool and latex foam can soften the bed for additional contouring and comfort.
Birch conveniently arrives at your doorstep vacuum-sealed in a box. The unboxing process is very easy, and your new bed should be ready to go within a few minutes.
Instead of using chemicals for cooling, Birch takes advantage of the naturally moisture-wicking and breathable properties of cotton, wool, and latex. The pocketed coils provide additional airflow so trapped heat can escape.
Exceptional Edge Support
The individually pocketed coils are reinforced by an additional layer of perimeter coils for an exceptional edge support. This allows sleepers to use the entire surface of the mattress without losing out on support.
The combination of latex and coils provide a higher level of bounce that should aid repositioning and assist those with limited mobility. Beds with bounce are also favored among sexually active couples.
Latex, wool, and organic cotton combine to make a bed that is good for the earth and your back.
Adjustable Base Compatible
Birch works well on most foundations, including adjustable bases that move up and down to your desired angle.
Handcrafted in the USA
The latex materials in Birch were tested in a lab and found to contain no VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) and emissions.
This certification by one of the leading environmental health agencies in the world tests for formaldehyde, phthalates, pollutants, chemical exposure, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS)
The entire mattress has achieved this status, thanks to the organic materials and socially responsible manufacturing of textiles throughout the entire process of sourcing and construction.
Coupons, Trials, Warranties, and Shipping
- Shipping - Shipping is free within the United States.
- Trial - Try the bed out for 100 nights, and if you decide it’s not right, you can contact the company about making a return for a full refund.
- Warranty - The warranty for this product lasts for 25 years.
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 11”||$1,349|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$1,399|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$1,599|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,799|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$2,099|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$2,099|
Birch is an eco-friendly bed that pairs latex and individually wrapped coils for a versatile hybrid sleep experience.
Side sleepers who stick in this position exclusively may consider the addition of a plush topper that will provide more cushioning to the side of their body, which usually bears more weight across a smaller surface area in this position.
Most back sleepers will appreciate the level of firmness the bare mattress can provide to push up into their lumbar region and otherwise hold their back level. The best mattresses for back sleepers have a good blend of support and pressure relief.
The Birch Natural should complement lightweight and some average-size stomach sleepers. Birch mattresses have supportive steel coils to keep their midsection from dipping too much, which is important for healthy spine alignment. However, heavier stomach sleepers should look look into a firmer option.
The high-bounce and quick responsiveness is good news for combination sleepers, who typically like to roll around into different positions throughout the night. A buoyant mattress is helpful for this group because this makes it easier for them to adjust and move around.
Adequate edge support and great bounce should assist couples looking to improve their collective sleep. While the medium firmness should appeal to a wide range of sleepers, adding the topper could soften the bed for side sleeping couples. However, this bed won’t isolate motion as much, so it may not be the best for partners with different sleeping habits.
While this hybrid was built for long-term durability and support, some heavier hooks may find it too soft. Individuals who are substantially heavier than average may want to steer towards a firmer bed providing a little extra reinforcement for sleepers over 230 pounds.
This medium-firm hybrid could be a good fit for lighter stomach sleepers looking for softness and support, but many will find the materials a tad too firm to experience adequate pressure relief. Adding a soft topper would assist these sleepers in finding contouring comfort, especially when sleeping on the side.
This environmentally-minded model is aimed at capturing the hearts of individuals who prefer more natural bedding. This combination of wool, latex, and steel coils is a versatile mix that should accommodate most sleepers, and those who prefer a little extra plushness can add a topper.