Transparency Disclosure – We may receive a referral fee (at no additional cost to the buyer) for products purchased through the links on our site or other applicable pages. To learn more, please read our full disclosure page here. We also encourage you to read about how we may research and/or test Products here.
Helix made a name for itself by celebrating our differences by offering a wide array of mattresses for every body type and sleeping preference, including plus size folks. Now they’ve added one more to their offering, and Birch is their answer to environmentally-minded individuals who want a more natural sleep.
Our in-depth Birch by Helix mattress review will guide you through each layer to explain each of the sustainable ingredients that make up the bed, as well as an idea about how you can expect them to perform. Pressure relief, support, cooling and motion transfer? We have you covered.
Read on if you’re the type that likes to consider all the details, but if you’re in a rush, go ahead to the bottom where we’ve rounded up the highlights and calculated a score.
You will love Birch by Helix if you:
- Want a more sustainable option – From the cotton to the latex and wool, this bed’s mission is to rethink traditional materials with a eco-friendly perspective.
- Want bounce – The Talalay latex in the comfort layer is quite springy and this works well with the individually wrapped coils beneath to give the bed a good level of bounce that eases repositioning.
- Like to give back – This company has generously pledged to give 1% of their proceeds to the National Forest Foundation, with hopes of planting 50 million trees by 2023.
You might not like Birch by Helix if you:
- Prefer a softer, plush surface – This mattress on its own is slightly firmer than average, which should be great for many back and stomach sleepers who want to ensure extra support and advanced alignment, but if you need something a bit softer the company does offer a plush topper that can change up the feel.
Or you can see our other top rated beds right here.
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Construction (Materials & Quality)
Birch by Helix arrives onto your doorstep compressed into a box for easier transport, and you can unpack it on to the appropriately-sized frame of your choice, even adjustable if that’s your preference.
The cover of this 11-inch mattress is made from all-natural cotton that is highly breathable and has a tiny bit of stretch to allow the surface to cradle you. This wraps around the mattresses’ five layers.
- The first layer is a layer of wool mixed with rayon to form the product’s natural flame retardant.
- The second layer is another layer of Birch wool, which was designed to provide an elastic comfort that cradles your shape while wicking away moisture and excess heat.
- The third layer is made from Talalay latex. This is where the pressure relief starts as the foams conform to your shape to help relieve strain from tired joints while still remaining temperature neutral and responsive.
- The fourth layer is formed with individually wrapped coils. The advantage of wrapped coils is their ability to tailor support to your body’s shape and isolate motion. Coils along the bed’s edge are reinforced.
- The fifth layer is made from wool batting. This serves to cushion the coils and give the bed a sturdy foundation.
The topper will add three inches of comfort materials that combine wool and latex to the top of the bed. Note that the company does not furnish the full measurements of the bed’s layers online.
Firmness (Support & Feel)
Without the pillow-top, you should definitely sleep more on top of the bed than in it and we’d rate this on our 1 to 10 firmness scale at a 6.5, or a Medium-Firm. If you choose to purchase the additional topper, the firmness will soften up to a 5.
When you first get onto the bed, you’ll notice the bounce straight away and this is the latex and coils doing the talking. Once you settle in, you should expect the wool and latex to cradle your shape while the coils push back against your spine to hold it in alignment.
Talalay latex is proccessed in a way that results in a more consistent and springier foam that is quick to respond to pressure and feels light and airy. The bounce and quick-responsiveness is good news for combination sleepers who typically like to roll around into different positions and difficulty rolling could potentially disturb your sleep.
Most back sleepers will appreciate the level of firmness the bare mattress can provide to push up into their lumbar and otherwise hold their back level.
Side sleepers who stick in this position exclusively may consider the addition of a topper that will provide more cushion to the side of their body, which usually bears more weight across a smaller surface area in this position.
Stomach sleepers, especially those who are heavier around their middles, will prefer the mattresses firmness as it is because it’s very important that these sleepers ensure their hips do not dip below the rest of their spine in this position.
Individuals who are substantially heavier than average may want to steer towards the company’s Nightfall offering, which provides a little extra reinforcement for sleepers over 250-300 pounds.
A hybrid with this much bounce will transfer some motion, but it will not be significant compared to what you may be used to with a traditional innerspring. The individually wrapped coils will help with this, as will the foams and wool up top so that all but exceptionally light sleepers can rest undisturbed by a restless partner.
Reinforcements around the edges really amp up the edge support on this product, which is music to the ears for folks looking to share their bed and wanting to maximize the usable space on the surface of their mattress. Also, if you like to dress while sitting on the side of your mattress, you should find your weight comfortably supported.
- Trial Period – Try the bed out for 100 nights, and if you decide it’s not right, you can contact the company about making a return for a full refund.
- Warranty – The warranty for this product lasts for 25 years.
- Shipping – Shipping is free within the United States.
- Oeko-Tex Standard 100 – Oeko-Tex tests products and their manufacturing processes worldwide to ensure that they are safe for consumers. The Standard 100 certification indicates that every aspect of the product has been tested.
- Adjustable Base Compatible
- Charity Support – 1% of all Birch sales go to the National Forest Association and the company’s goal is to finance 50 million new trees by 2023.
- Handmade in the USA
|Size||Dimensions (inches)||Price (w/o discount)|
|Twin||39” x 75” x 11”||$1,049|
|Twin XL||39” x 80” x 11”||$1,099|
|Full||54” x 75” x 11”||$1,299|
|Queen||60” x 80” x 11”||$1,499|
|King||76” x 80” x 11”||$1,799|
|Cali King||72” x 84” x 11”||$1,799|
Helix, the company with all the choices, now offers an eco-friendly bed that pairs latex and individually wrapped coils for a versatile hybrid sleep experience.
This environmentally-minded model is aimed at capturing the hearts (and sleep!) of individuals who prefer more natural bedding. This combination of wool, latex, and steel coils is a versatile mix that should accommodate most sleepers, and those who prefer a little extra plushness can add a topper.
With environmental certifications promising a more sustainable and chemical-free product from front to finish, eco-friendly folks may have a new reason to love Helix.
Author: Sleep Advisor
Our team covers as many areas of expertise as we do time zones, but none of us started here as a so-called expert on sleep. What we do share is a willingness to ask questions (lots of them), seek experts, and dig deep into conventional wisdom to see if maybe there might be a better path towards healthy living. We apply what we learn not only to our company culture, but also how we deliver information to our over 12.7M readers.
Sleep research is changing all the time, and we are 100% dedicated to keeping up with breakthroughs and innovations. You live better if you sleep better. Whatever has brought you here, we wish you luck on your journey towards better rest.